Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My first mac was an SE/30 and it was p sweet. I put in a card so it ran a color monitor on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

http://aleclikesmacintosh.tumblr.com/

this is a good tumblr for old mac screenshots and pictures of hardware

"iTunes still doesn’t have multi threading? jesus christ what is this noise.
#guh"

lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

graph posted:

rip hinks
rip omnimac

oh man flashbacks coming in here

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

graph posted:

i was an admin on omnimac lol

the person who owned the server was Isis i believe

:monocle:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

graph posted:

wrong. hinks was a good dude and greedy corporate lawyers and liars hosed him and his family in the rear end

Yeah it was really hosed up how it all went down. Hotline was loving great at first.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

my first pirated copy of photoshop came from a hotline server :3:

also remember when internet explorer 4 on mac os 9 was the best browser on any operating system?

and that brief period between ie getting really lovely on os x and safari being released when there were no good browsers on mac os at all? i used iCab

absolutely. when i find a good deal on one i'm gonna get it and strip out the electronics and put my pc inside the case cause it is just a super pro lookin case.

I was surprised last year to find out iCab still exists, I hadn't used it since the OS 8 days I think. It's available on the iPhone now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it was IE 5 and omniweb was actually really good before safari

Omniweb was great and then they put in that retarded loving bookmarks sidebar that couldn't properly be minimized and it was a huge "gently caress you" to all 12" Powerbook G4 users (the best Apple laptop made until the modern Airs).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

i started off with a iici and a Radius PrecisionColor 24 and a Radius Rocket and then a 68881 coprocessor board for all the maths software i would never write

:gizz:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

yeah it's just another WebKit wrapper at this point

was great back in the day for on the fly turning images and JavaScript on and off :c00l:

Hell yeah.

You were the first person I knew on these forums from one of the old mac boards iirc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

buttcrackmenace posted:

Radius made a display that consisted of letter-sized CRT which could be rotated from portrait to landscape

you could work on your spreadsheets in widescreen then woosh! craft yr full-size pages in portrait with no scrolling

we had a *bunch* of these.

cannae remember what they were called.

Yeah my Pop had one of those hooked up to his IIci. It was the loving bomb (but he only had the B&W one as it was mostly for desktop publishing)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

carry on then posted:

i can't imagine doing desktop publishing in black and white

i imagine you had to print things out a lot, or did they only ever do black and white design on those?

If it's a lot of printed words, it was just fine. Pictures were actually still being pasteboarded.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

my dad was a Pagemaker user. An old friend does layout for our books now because of loyalty.

he uses Quark still.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

graph posted:

one of the only things adobe ever did right was the pagemaker->indesign transition

they fuckin crushed it

I asked out layout guy once about indesign but he's pretty much set in his ways. I'm just glad the printing place we have been using forever still can access Quark files.

Our layout guy used to do CD covers for bands. The layout stuff he does for us is a large part of his income now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo I have a friend who's done layout for years and he uses Illustrator :psyduck:

but he said it's great for such things.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

graph posted:

if its more one-page art rather than text, eh, dance with the on that brung ya

e: goddamnit qirex

he worked for VIZ for a long time, so yeah, manga stuff. later it was for scientific journals.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

bad power supplies and a 3d chip you could burn out by using the wrong screen saver

the beloved 12-inch PBG4 oh how i miss it, although rumors persist of a 12-inch MBA that might show up one'a dese days

unless the 12" mba has the 12" pbg4's keyboard who cares. I still miss that keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

infernal machines posted:

is there an even semi-modern hypercard

Supercard, apparently still exists.

• Locked thread