Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
"for optimal flavour!"

like gently caress you jamie oliver, like you don't know that those tomatoes have been on a reefer the whole four day drive from cali, then in the cooled produce section of a DC for another two days, then sitting in the store's cooler for another couple of days.

same deal with bananas. and basil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I dunno bro.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

"for optimal flavour!"

like gently caress you jamie oliver, like you don't know that those tomatoes have been on a reefer the whole four day drive from cali, then in the cooled produce section of a DC for another two days, then sitting in the store's cooler for another couple of days.

same deal with bananas. and basil.
wait youre telling me they dont grow their food in the back of the grocery store?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

John Denver Hoxha posted:

wait youre telling me they dont grow their food in the back of the grocery store?

only the funions

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wait youre a human being?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i actually worked at a produce distributor for several years and we had a special tomato room that was like around 60 F. commercially tomatoes are not refrigerated because everyone knows that it destroys their flavor.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

same deal with bananas

what?

I've never seen bananas in the fridge.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sweet Tea posted:

i actually worked at a produce distributor for several years and we had a special tomato room that was like around 60 F. commercially tomatoes are not refrigerated because everyone knows that it destroys their flavor.

but the trucks that delivered those tomatoes were refrigerated weren't they?

also no major chains have that practice that I know of. they do have massive banana gassing rooms though which is pretty cool.

edit: yeah I was making up the thing about bananas usually they are only refrigerated in transit. herbs, though.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

but the trucks that delivered those tomatoes were refrigerated weren't they?

also no major chains have that practice that I know of. they do have massive banana gassing rooms though which is pretty cool.

in the time it takes to load the truck and deliver the produce there's not a significant temperature difference. you have to consider that they're in a whole case (i think around 20 lbs) of other tomatoes that are the same temperature. with prolonged refrigeration tomatoes can lose their taste and texture, though.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

for optimal flavor, age your meat outside for a month or more, then eat it raw

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

BeefThief posted:

for optimal flavor, age your meat outside for a month or more,let mold and gangrene form on it, then eat it raw

FtFy

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

tbh I've never heard this. And I've been to a few grocery stores in my time

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

BeefThief posted:

for optimal flavor, age your meat outside for a month or more, then eat it raw

I make sure to serve my meat raw to the suitable targets, whether or not they want it.

It takes a little while for a new taste to be acquired, so sometimes enjoyment is not necessarily required if you get my drift.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

they do have massive banana gassing rooms though which is pretty cool.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

If you removed the bananas from the photo, I think it would be much funnier and smile worthy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im not sure how it would then link in with the quote, Race Hate Kramer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

When tomatoes drop below a certain temperature, it activates an enzyme which causes them to start digesting themselves. They get all mushy and slimy and lose their flavor.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
enzymes be all activatin an poo poo

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

the way I slice tomatoes for sandwiches is I lay out the sandwiches around the kitchen then have my friend throw a tomato at me as hard as possible and I become a blur of activity with my katana in hand and by the time the dust settles the tomato slices are laid out perfectly on the sandwiches

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

enzymes be all activatin an poo poo

gently caress up if true

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

wait youre a human being?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
For optimal flavour, store your mayonnaise in an open jar outside in the hot sun for three weeks before using.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is all this poo poo about tomatoes true or is it just bullshit to cover up thar supermarkets brees bland red tomatoes ON PURPOSE

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tiny Lowtax posted:

tbh I've never heard this. And I've been to a few grocery stores in my time

Shut up grandma

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Its true though once they get below about 55d there's an enzyme in them that gives them 'tomato flavor' and it shuts down and can't be restarted so it's permanent flavor loss from that point on.

hosed up but true.

Also lol if you can't somehow keep tomatoes on a counter, like most of them sit there for a week or so, especially if they have the vines on them, they're fine. ANd if you can't eat 2-3 entire small tomatoes in a week or whatever then you're dumb as hell anyway.

You hear that?! DUMB AS HELL!!

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Refrigerated delivery is more expensive than non-refrigerated delivery. Why in the world would a company spend extra money to have a product delivered in poor shape?

Your tomatoes are shipped green, then gassed to turn them red. This is why they taste like poo poo, they aren't ripe. For years I thought I hated tomatoes, turns out I just couldn't stand the non-taste of bullshit gassed ones.

When late summer rolls around, head to a nursery or any store with a garden department and buy one of the left-over tomato plants for $10. Chances are they will be brimming with ripe and nearly ripe tomatoes. If you play your cards right you'll have delicious, actual tomatoes into November. Cut 'em up, throw a little salt and pepper on, and get ready to taste tomatoes like you never have before.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

whole foods massages my balls as i buy only the reddest tomatoes possible checkmate :smug:

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

those tomatoes have been on reefer the whole four day drive from cali

madness

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have a vegetable garden and have bought some seeds for tomatoes in the past.
Now I get like 200 seed catalogs.
Yesterday I got a 'Tomatoes Only' catalog. It's December 3rd. I live in Wisconsin.

...that said they got a lot of cool looking tomatoes though they get pretty fancy.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

kill me if i ever develop opinions about loving tomatoes

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gladly

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Shut up grandma

Well, I know someone not getting $5 THIS christmas

Ronnie B.
Apr 30, 2002

Hold on, I'm trying to turn off my own show, how does this work?
i like my tomatoes like i like my women

cold and wrapped in plastic

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most restaurants keep the tomatos in the walk in cooler.

Not the bananas though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the stores tell you things like that to try and dispel the notion that theyre faceless corporations shoving mildly sub-par food into your gaping mouth, op

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
did you, the consumer, know that %N_PRODUCT has many amusing and whimsical properties such as EXCEPTION: STRING NOT FOUND

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Jamie Oliver is completely normal and is the best person to give the lower to middle class tips on buying food and making meals out of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

edit: yeah I was making up the thing about bananas usually they are only refrigerated in transit. herbs, though.
it's not really a big deal to keep bananas in the fridge, it turns the peels brown but doesn't affect the flavor or texture of the fruit

not that you have any reason to do this unless you're making frozen drinks or whatever

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Well, I know someone not getting $5 THIS christmas

Cheapskate, even my great-grandmother hands me 20 bucks whenever I see her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Roma Tomatoes sold in the states are mealy, flavorless, goop.

I only buy Grape Tomatoes from the grocery store.

Go to your local Farmers Market folks.

:colbert:

• Locked thread