Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

if you have to make a sawing motion to a cut a tomato your knife is blunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
if you have to make a sawing motion to a cut a tomato your tomato is blunt

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

gary oldmans diary posted:

yes always make sure the knife youre using has a blade
do not try to cut tomatoes with knife that is only a handle theyll splatter every time

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I never knew this, I always just thought tomatoes only lasted for a few days in the fridge and I buy one every week to put on my burgs and tacos. I am going to keep my tomatoes outside the fridge for now on. I love hearing pro cooking tips, first I find out garlic presses are for scrubs, and its true, garlic tastes better when its cut, not crushed, and now I find out I've been ruining my tomatoes.

Keep the goon pro cooking tips coming!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
if its one thing i trust about goons its food and the optimal way of shovelling it into their various holes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

psyopmonkey posted:

Go to your local Farmers Market folks. :colbert:

I'm not shelling out three times as much dough just because some hippy sprinkled poo poo on my tomatoes.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Biomute posted:

I'm not shelling out three times as much dough just because some hippy sprinkled poo poo on my tomatoes.

Protip: Sprinkle poo poo on your tomatoes before the hippies do.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

I loved him showing the kids how chicken nuggets were made and then being horrified that they'd still eat them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwL5G5HbGA

Jamie Oliver once suffocated chicks and slit the throat of a lamb on TV to make a point about farming practices.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

see cosby should just have used this excuse instead

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
jamie oliver's right we should soothe animals to sleep with a gentle massage and lullaby then stick them with a lethal dose of morphine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

the chef's top tip is to add sardines to everything

if you take nothing else away from this thread, take away this

also stop buying fresh tomatoes if you're using them to make sauce, buy tinned tomatoes instead

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That also goes for cold sauce (salsa). Get them whole in a can. The less monkeying around the better, Sprinkle just a pinch of feces on at the end for that farmers market feel.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wheres my vat-grown meat obama
i guess whats one more broken campaign promise huh

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

At least with our current technology, vat grown meat seems like it would be more expensive per pound to make then the real thing, assuming people would eat it anyways.

they would

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shnag posted:

At least with our current technology, vat grown meat seems like it would be more expensive per pound to make then the real thing, assuming people would eat it anyways.

they would

Yeah it would almost certainly be insanely expensive and energy-intensive. Culturing animal tissue in vitro is a bitch and a half

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKI.html#KAGAYAKIBASIC

240mm Gyuto. Best $115 I've ever spent on cook stuff. gently caress that $10 Wal-Mart chef knife, get a proper knife, treat it well, and it will be your best friend in the kitchen.

lol if you can't cut a tomato without it spurting

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

It practically pays for itself in wasted tomatoes! :eng101:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Ronco Knives only 3 easy payments

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Ronco Knives only 3 easy payments

If you only have three payments, your knife isn't sharp enough.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Okay gently caress you if this is turning into a Cutco demo cause I only wanted some tasty tomatoes here

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

240mm Gyuto. Best $115 I've ever spent on cook stuff. gently caress that $10 Wal-Mart chef knife, get a proper knife, treat it well, and it will be your best friend in the kitchen.
you dont really have to spend a lot on a knife and most goons probably don't need to. as long as it's made of good steel and you're okay at sharpening you can get a decent $25-30 knife to cut through anything you need to with ease.

e: except bone. you probably want a cleaver for that

rubbe
Jul 19, 2008
hosed up if true.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

lol dude

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

a hole-y ghost posted:

you dont really have to spend a lot on a knife and most goons probably don't need to. as long as it's made of good steel and you're okay at sharpening you can get a decent $25-30 knife to cut through anything you need to with ease.

e: except bone. you probably want a cleaver for that

I spent a whole lot on a knife thinking it'd inspire me to get into the kitchen and learn some decent cutting skills and cook with even more variety but the honeymoon period on that thing was less than a week. I do use it for tomatoes. I read pretty much everywhere online that the sweet spot for knives is around $50.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

I spent a whole lot on a knife thinking it'd inspire me to get into the kitchen and learn some decent cutting skills and cook with even more variety but the honeymoon period on that thing was less than a week. I do use it for tomatoes. I read pretty much everywhere online that the sweet spot for knives is around $50.
pretty much yeah unless youre a professional chef that needs a chef knife that will stand up to a ridiculous amount of work

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I dated a girl who insisted on putting tomatoes in the refrigerator, on the premise that tomatoes are a fruit.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I hope you dropkicked her tomato rear end at the first opportunity

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I dated a girl who insisted on putting tomatoes in the refrigerator, on the premise that tomatoes are a fruit.
huh>>>? most fruits do better out of the fridge too tho

e: wait no. i think theres a joke in there

e2: ive almost got it. hold on

e3: did she put you in the fridge too??? :mmmhmm:

e4: like because youre a fruit?

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 5, 2014

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

a hole-y ghost posted:

huh>>>? most fruits do better out of the fridge too tho

e: wait no. i think theres a joke in there

e2: ive almost got it. hold on

e3: did she put you in the fridge too??? :mmmhmm:

e4: like because youre a fruit?

Brother, it's been over a year and I still haven't figured it out.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

a hole-y ghost posted:

pretty much yeah unless youre a professional chef that needs a chef knife that will stand up to a ridiculous amount of work

I think it was the chef threads that were talking about $50 being the spot. I never know whether to listen to those guys though because they seem like a real bitter bunch of dudes and nothing they were saying supported me buying a folded steel samurai sword of a kitchen knife so I ignored them. Now it's a funny and embarrassing thing in the kitchen. It's on this ornate wooden plaque that isn't even a cutting board but i use it as one lol. I sliced some lemons on it and it discolored the lacquer

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ZombieParts posted:

I think it was the chef threads that were talking about $50 being the spot. I never know whether to listen to those guys though because they seem like a real bitter bunch of dudes and nothing they were saying supported me buying a folded steel samurai sword of a kitchen knife so I ignored them. Now it's a funny and embarrassing thing in the kitchen. It's on this ornate wooden plaque that isn't even a cutting board but i use it as one lol. I sliced some lemons on it and it discolored the lacquer

i have a collection of kitchen knives containing exactly one damascus steel knife. it was $109.00. it's two years old and i haven't had to sharpen it once. i realize it was a gross expenditure of money for osmething so utilitarian but it's also an awesome knife. sometimes it's good just to have something of exceptional quality to work with for a change

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Our market gets tomatoes from local places in the summer.

Don't buy tomatoes in winter just buy the canned crap.

hth

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

Our market gets tomatoes from local places in the summer.

Don't buy tomatoes in winter just buy the canned crap.

hth

Woah woah, don't bring canned tomatoes into this!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

How would canned tomatoes work on a sandwhich? Wouldn't that make the bread soggy?

I ask this because I just bought a tomato for subs tonight.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i put tomatoes in the fridge and you cant stop me

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I also only buy the highest quality steel blades. See below for a video demonstration

http://youtu.be/2kFgeZtkAb8

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I loving hate tomatoes but i love ketchup. Tomatoes dont taste very tomatoey, just slimy and flavourless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

spud posted:

I loving hate tomatoes but i love ketchup. Tomatoes dont taste very tomatoey, just slimy and flavourless.
yeah to get a flavorful tomato you kinda have to either grow tomatoes yourself or get them from a good farm at the farmer's market (note that "good" doesnt necessarily mean the most organic and trendy one, you have to try each one's tomatoes and see which is best)

• Locked thread