Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

quote:

The music video for South Korean singer Psy's Gangnam Style exceeded YouTube's view limit, prompting the site to upgrade its counter.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

oppa lowtax style

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I saw that video when the view count was just 5 digits. That makes me cool

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
When they write historical novels about the 2000s, they'll have characters sit around listening to Gangnam Style

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Why would Youtube use a signed 32-bit integer for the view counter? An unsigned integer would let them count videos with up to 4 billion views.

Harime Nui posted:

When they write historical novels about the 2000s, they'll have characters sit around listening to Gangnam Style

Probably. I can't loving wait to be an old guy describing what it was really like in my day.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
I saw that video before it was even Psy was born

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
The grannies in that video are probably dead by now. makes you think

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
it has 2 bil views cause its a pretty great music vid and transcends nationality cause everyone wants to scream at a good butt

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

shiksa posted:

it has 2 bil views cause its a pretty great music vid and transcends nationality cause everyone wants to scream at a good butt

there are thousands of music videos matching that description

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Torka posted:

there are thousands of music videos matching that description

life isnt fair what do you want me to say?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
look I like heavy metal but "complex and original songwriting" does not describe most of the genre whatsoever

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

lol metal fans are such loving idiots

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

"hey have u heard the new EP by that Finnish band Görg Bleddfucki ?" loving no, nobody has heard it or wants to

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

hosed up if true, op

op

op

oppa gangnam style

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Complex and technical songwriting is really lost on most of the genre anyway. A band like Nile is legit noise for example

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

Why would Youtube use a signed 32-bit integer for the view counter? An unsigned integer would let them count videos with up to 4 billion views.

Google thinks 2.1 billion views should be enough for any video.

And they're right, best to delete it forever and forget about it.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

if i want complex and technical music i'll listen to the brandenburg concertos

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008
it was strange how that song picked up out of nowhere. there are plenty of goofy foreign (from a western standpoint) songs with funny dances so i have a feeling there was some great marketing and advertising behind it and how it went viral.

obviously there are people who enjoy it but i'm really, really curious on exactly what marketing was used for this song. the song and video itself, while pretty interesting, isn't that amazing and in an alternate universe could easily have been a song that didn't get traction outside the asian market.

thegoonofaudio fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 4, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Oh no people having fun

I can just imagine the neck beard who made this image at a wedding reception, glaring at the dance floor as his family members cheerfully gallop and lasso with the bride and groom

also anyone who thinks that metal is sophisticated has never listened to the lyrics

finally, virtually everyone in the West completely misses out on the social satire in that video

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

metal has existed through the ages, from the ancient times of E.T. and Ghostbusters to the frantic modern world of today

also lol at the "only 20% of the vocals are completely awful in this specific way" estimate

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Pththya-lyi posted:

finally, virtually everyone in the West completely misses out on the social satire in that video

Did you ever see that What the Fox says video? gently caress that guy needs to die ASAP.

People liked it, music is literlly dead I weep for the future.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i would only tentatively venture so far as metallica - enter sandman as far as metal is concerned and im sure thats not nearly stupid enough for metal aficionados

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

you might think tattooing yourself with a novelty song is a short sighted move, but my Camp Granada tat is as relevant as ever

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

It's already up to 2.15 billion views. :stare:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Randandal posted:

It's already up to 2.15 billion views. :stare:

This is a funny coincedence because Psy's last video just passed 2.15 views.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rapman the Cook posted:

Did you ever see that What the Fox says video? gently caress that guy needs to die ASAP.

People liked it, music is literlly dead I weep for the future.

That vid was intentionally lovely, the comedians who made it never meant for it to blow up the way it did

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

That vid was intentionally lovely, the comedians who made it never meant for it to blow up the way it did

That's why they did it in their native Norwegian instead of Eng... wait a minute

I don't buy that for a second. The whole thing is just like par for the course for inoffensive family-friendly milquetoast comedians (from a milquetoast country)

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Oh no people having fun

I can just imagine the neck beard who made this image at a wedding reception, glaring at the dance floor as his family members cheerfully gallop and lasso with the bride and groom

Lol, same

Pththya-lyi posted:

also anyone who thinks that metal is sophisticated has never listened to the lyrics

:argh: makes u think

quote:

Count me among virtually everyone in the West. I mean, I'm sure I could draw from the rich context clues and write out a long hypothesis the way my Humanities professor would have wanted it, surely something about western materialism and sex culture, but I'd rather learn about the subtext from someone who just knows more about Korea than I do.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 4, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

generative grammer posted:

That's why they did it in their native Norwegian instead of Eng... wait a minute

I don't buy that for a second. The whole thing is just like par for the course for inoffensive family-friendly milquetoast comedians (from a milquetoast country)

They made it to make fun of Americans

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was also released as a promo for their show. I don't know much about marketing but usually promotional videos are expected to "go viral"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

how much youtube partner cash would you get for 2.1b views

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Chamale posted:

Every time someone in Africa without internet watches the number decrements by 1

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Author of this image probably believes that metal was founded by vikings. What attracts neck beards to vikings?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Randandal posted:

Count me among virtually everyone in the West. I mean, I'm sure I could draw from the rich context clues and write out a long hypothesis the way my Humanities professor would have wanted it, but I'd rather learn about the subtext from someone who just knows more aboht Korea than I do.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gangnam+style+satire

The video makes fun of materialistic people who try to live the high life - "Gangnam Style," after the fashionable Gangnam district of Seoul - on a shoestring budget. But I guess the imagery is too subtle for you.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

krampster2 posted:

Author of this image probably believes that metal was founded by vikings. What attracts neck beards to vikings?

vikings were the last cool white people

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Oppa Thread as bad as the people they think suck!

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gangnam+style+satire

The video makes fun of materialistic people who try to live the high life - "Gangnam Style," after the fashionable Gangnam district of Seoul - on a shoestring budget. But I guess the imagery is too subtle for you.

Oh cool it's like Asian Dallas then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

krampster2 posted:

What attracts neck beards to vikings?
the ratio of rapes they did to how much theyre villified for it is really high

• Locked thread