Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quackgyver
Dec 4, 2014

....................game's
Meets and greets.

My name is quackgyver, and I'm one of the Tales of Game's boys and girls. I'm making a game called Buck & Miles along with my friend and fellow Togster toadstone, and some musicians like brentalfloss, Alexander Brandon, virt and cboyardee.

I was told by a friend that SomethingAwful is the "place to be" where all the cool people hang out and that it's possibly the most important vidcon debate forum on the internet, so I wanted to show you our project.

About
Buck & Miles is a platformer that takes the player through over 10 worlds and 100 different levels in either singleplayer- or simultaneous multiplayer mode. In addition to novel gimmicks like combining powerups and transforming into animals in order to reach new places, the game also revolves around its board game-like overworld map, where the player is able to play bonus games, chance events and discover quirky secrets.

The reason why we're making this game is because we felt that most retro-styled games don't really look and feel like titles from the '80s or '90s did beyond having pixelated graphics, so we've spent a lot of time picking apart our favorite classic game franchises in an attempt to understand what their designers were influenced by, and how they approached the whole design process.

Based on this, we've tried to turn all these seemingly random and quirky design decisions into a process that we've used in the creation of Buck & Miles. This has in part manifested itself in the aesthetics and gameplay mechanics that you can see in the video, but also in the creation of other things like the kind of cheesy '80s and '90s promo material that was common back then.

Our hopes are that players will feel like they did when they first played their favorite classic games. At best, we're hoping to be able to bring some of that magic back, and at worst we're hoping that people will at least think it's a fun game.

Videos
Kickstarter trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2VuVQsCa54

Wolfpupy easter egg trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBBqeKOv12U

Astrojone Fanboy #1 interviewed by Jamaican TV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKkR5SYyYnw

TL;DR
  • Another stupid retro game that we're trying to make not so stupid.
  • Made by some Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden people and the musicians of Deus Ex, Unreal, Jazz Jackrabbit, Shovel Knight and Shantae.
  • A platformer with 100 levels, 10 worlds and 8 powerups that you can mix and match in either singleplayer or multiplayer.
  • We want to release this on every platform we can, including consoles.
  • Release date is mid-2016. Details can be found here.
  • We'll do our best to try to make it cheap and DRM-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I'm digging the look on this, feels very much like SMW. Lots of retro games going around nowadays but this looks somewhat unique and can tell it's got some love going into it. Hope you get funded, would be a shame otherwise.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I've heard ToG is a pretty awful place to work. I'm glad you got out of there.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

I've heard ToG is a pretty awful place to work. I'm glad you got out of there.
We have recently ceased the rampant enslavement of our artists. Please check your facts before throwing wild accusations around.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Will this game finally feature the TREND and CORPORATE ATTITUDE that has been so lacking from ToG games?

quackgyver
Dec 4, 2014

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Will this game finally feature the TREND and CORPORATE ATTITUDE that has been so lacking from ToG games?
Yes, this game is for trend, corporate attitude and stoner. NOT for true doom-murderheads.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I AM A TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEADS. CAN I PLAY?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strangely enough I can't pledge to this, my card gets rejected.

quackgyver
Dec 4, 2014

evilmiera posted:

Strangely enough I can't pledge to this, my card gets rejected.
Really? Could you elaborate on what happens?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How's it...how's it hanging

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jazz Jackrabbit is a piece of poo poo. Can you tell your composer that, tell him that Jazz Jackrabbit is a piece of poo poo? Tell virt too, I don't care. I'm sure he knows it. You all know it, but you need to say it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit is a piece of poo poo. Can you tell your composer that, tell him that Jazz Jackrabbit is a piece of poo poo? Tell virt too, I don't care. I'm sure he knows it. You all know it, but you need to say it out loud.

Little late I think

• Locked thread