Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The peanut (Arachis hypogaea), also known as the "goober pea", is a legume and probably the best-known geocarpic species of plant. (So like a big lentil that grows in the ground in a little fibrous house.) Most plants don't throw their seeds, much less their seeds plus surrounding seed-protecting tissue, right into the ground from the ground. The peanut is believed to be a hybrid of Arachis duranensis and Arachis ipaensis. It's got chromosomes out the wazoo. Plant hybridization is creepy.

You're probably familiar with them looking like this:

That is because you eat the most beautiful peanuts alive.

When peanuts are growing, they look like this:

(In dirt.)

(Pulled from dirt.)

(Someone cleaned these off well.)

The peanut is originally from Paraguay.

Semi-relatedly, here's the hog-nut of West Africa (Vigna subterranea):

I haven't eaten one but would like to try.

The weirdest poo poo about the peanut is the reproductive cycle. The flowers self-pollinate and then the pedicels stab the ground. A new peanut grows in the ground there.

(What??)

(A little peanut weenie)

China is the biggest producer of peanuts, by like an absurd margin. USA is third. Peanuts are grown in the states of Georgia and Alabama in particular, so keep an eye out.

Peanuts are used for a bunch of things. Peanut oil is pretty good and is one of those "healthy" oils you hear about, but who knows. Eating peanuts on their own is a reliable way to go. Mash them up and get peanut butter, if you want to. You can put them in Thai food and etc. I tend to hear them in terms of containing niacin, which is, like, good I guess. Like almond milk, there is "peanut milk" which sounds horrific. But not as horrific as these:

(What the hell are these?)

(Like, what's the intended flavor of a circus peanut?)

There's a lot of rhetoric about peanut allergies because some people like peanuts and other people die. It appears that eating a shitton of peanuts early in life decreases your odds of developing a peanut allergy.

George Washington Carver was a USDA researcher who promoted the growing of peanuts. He invented many uses for peanuts as to encourage people to munch this humble bean. As legumes, peanuts are nitrogen-fixing plants. This means that when cycled with cotton (which depletes nitrogen) soil is happy.

I think peanuts are gross and filler for cans of mixed nuts. The authoritatively best nut ever is the Brazil nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu67jBGFUn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
good grief

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

i came into the thread to poo poo talk peanuts and list 4-5 types of nuts that i think are better, but after skimming through the op i agree that peanuts are actually kinda cool

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Pick posted:

I think peanuts are gross and filler for cans of mixed nuts.

If you're not impartial then why should I believe a single word you say about them.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Pick posted:

I think peanuts are gross and filler for cans of mixed nuts. The authoritatively best nut ever is the Brazil nut.

Up until this point I was all like "Man this OP sure knows his stuff. What a good post he just made." Then I read this line and I'm like "Wow the op is probably a horrific product of incest and poor education."

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Pick posted:

Of course it is. Racist.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
You know what? No. This thread is about peanuts and we're going to talk about peanuts. The food not the cartoon.

First, some fun peanut facts given by the National Peanut board

By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.

The world’s largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.

Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the USA.

Peanuts contribute more than $4 billion to the USA economy each year.

Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.

More fun facts available Here

Peanut farming is also a very good qualification for president of the united states, as shown by Jimmy Carter and Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson being the father of American democracy and Jimmy Carter being the only modern president who wasn't in violation of international laws of war crime.

It's also cheap per calorie and gram of protein , if you're looking to but some muscle on there's no way to go wrong with the peanut. Unless you're allergic then you have my deepest sympathies.

An interesting thing to note. If you're trying to increase your fiber intake you can eat the shells of the peanut with no negative effects.

How do you guys and gals prefer your peanut? I like natural no sugar or oil added peanut butter. Just mushed up peanuts and salt for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually do like peanut butter occasionally, but only the peanut-n-salt kind. My favorite:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

6% of households in the US don't consume Peanut Buttery.

Now my question for the experts, why are peanuts the chosen filler for mixed nuts? It's obviously not because they're the best tasting (that honor goes to the cashew), and doesn't seem like a dirty ground growing nut would be any cheaper than another, so what gives?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Pick posted:

I actually do like peanut butter occasionally, but only the peanut-n-salt kind. My favorite:

Mmmmm, yea. That's the good stuff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i love getting the three-nut its like a little bonus

single nut peanuts make me furious tho

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Clockwerk posted:

Now my question for the experts, why are peanuts the chosen filler for mixed nuts? It's obviously not because they're the best tasting (that honor goes to the cashew), and doesn't seem like a dirty ground growing nut would be any cheaper than another, so what gives?

Way cheaper. They grow super easy.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Clockwerk posted:

Its volume. Peanuts are one of the top choices to replenish soil quality so that leaves a huge supply. They're so good at the job even if they had to be sold as animal feed its likely they would still be used for that purpose. Luckily peanuts are an amazing food and delicious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmNqzbsuiY

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

hmm if i were to "pick" a thread thats good it wouldnt be this one

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
those with peanut allergies get whats coming to em

peanuts own, get with the program or die, fuckos

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

hmm if i were to "pick" a thread thats good it wouldnt be this one

If I had to pick two posters that are good and my choices are you, aatrek, and two worlds I would pick two world twice.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

If I had to pick two posters that are good and my choices are you, aatrek, and two worlds I would pick two world twice.
what the hell tht was uncalled for :mad:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

what the hell tht was uncalled for :mad:

I'm sorry, but dont talk jive on the peanut.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Clockwerk posted:

Peanuts arent actually nuts. Nuts grow in trees and are more expensive to produce, hence why at bulk supermarkets shelled peanuts are like 2 or so bucks a pound and all other nuts are at least 4+, some close to 10.

Which is also why they're the filler in mixed nuts and trailmix and such, they're the cheapest thing per pound in the bag.

If you've ever wondered why packages specify for allergy purposes that the contents were processed by equipment that handled peanuts and tree nuts, that's why. In India they call peanuts "ground nuts".

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

A really good title for this thread would have been peanut in my mouth.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I am glad there is research showing feeding babies peanuts may lower risk of allergy later. This solidifies my plan to raise my child to eat a peanut-butter-based diet because I think fat babies with lots of baby rolls are cute/funny. I'm glad it will help him later and definitely not just stop his heart.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love peanuts and peanut butter but I'm intolerant to them and some other nuts. I'll still eat peanut related stuff but something about certain nut oils upsets my stomach for like two hours. Worth it imo. Chocolate and peanut butter are the greatest combo ever.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
did you know a black man invented the peanut?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Trader Joes' brilliant invention of cookie butter has officially made the peanut outdated. Whoops, gotta go. Havin' my monthly heart attack.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Trader Joes' brilliant invention of cookie butter has officially made the peanut outdated. Whoops, gotta go. Havin' my monthly heart attack.

Did you know they have put this cookie butter atop a cheesecake and are selling it for the holidays? RIP in advance I guess.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

What is the goon opinion on those steak houses that give you a bucket of peanuts and encourage you to just throw the shells on the floor?

I was at one once when I was a kid I thought it was cool, but now it just seems like a gross thing. I like peanuts though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

detectivemonkey posted:

Did you know they have put this cookie butter atop a cheesecake and are selling it for the holidays? RIP in advance I guess.

Know about them? I have one impaled on each of my elongated monster nips as I type this, and occasionally I incline my head to graze.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Spicy boiled peanuts sold out of a crock pot from a sketchy convenience store or roadside stand is the best way to eat peanuts.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i fuckin love peanuts and my girlfriend is allergic to them, it is unfortunate

peanut oil is very good for stir frying! i have been using coconut oil lately

and almond butter doesn't taste nearly as good or have as good a texture as peanut butter

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Pick posted:

You made the most informative post I have ever read about peanuts, just to declare your dislike for them? WTF?

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I just had some Kirkland "Extra Crispy" peanuts. They were crispy as gently caress, tbh. How does one make an extra crispy peanut?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I just had some Kirkland "Extra Crispy" peanuts. They were crispy as gently caress, tbh. How does one make an extra crispy peanut?

they just little bits of peanut shaped fried batter man. it's just how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
those candies boston baked beans or whatever are really good better if you can get them fresh.

• Locked thread