Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Rooh-Vah
0/2 BD

Log Y3WanH - Lost in Translation

>Of problems that this unit has expected to encounter on this planet, language barriers was not one of them
>Supposed that we create a universal language, something that could be easily learned, but what?
>One does not invent a language over night, the English language is not one that is easily learned by those not familiar in it.
>Unless, perhaps we try teaching a different language
>Accessing data banks... Historical archives > Korea > 1400-1500 > Sejong the Great > Invention of the Hangul scripture.
>A series of tomes know as the 'Hunmin Jeongeum' invented to allow the common man to learn how to read and write in Hangul. Invented at a time where only a small minority could read and write.
>'The Haerye says "A wise man can acquaint himself with them before the morning is over; a stupid man can learn them in the space of ten days."'
>A language that would be relatively simple to learn, and would allow greater dissemination of ideas, even to cultures that would otherwise be worlds apart.
>I have put in a request to the smiths for additional brass plates, this may take some time.

Problem, people don't understand different languages, and it makes it difficult to communicate or spread ideas around. Solution, try and teach something that can be easily picked up first, for reading and writing. Think of it as a foundation tome, something that would allow the reader to gain a basic grasp of the language, and it would then allow him or her to more easily understand any follow up books afterwards.

This is something that will require some precise symbol craftsmanship, but thankfully we have access to the Anvil of Dhuum for all of our magical word needs and [+2] Artifice for all of our fine craftsmanship. Perhaps we can even enchant the sound of the letters into the pages, so it may function as a sort of speaking book.

Let's invent a language and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Prototype T and the Annes. Bonus Dice: 0

When the Annies returned, Big T realized that the small, blind creatures who worshiped him had no means of keeping records. A telepathic people they shared their memories directly. While they could show him the path they'd traveled, they could not draw maps to provide an overview. They had no way of recording for future travelers what they had seen or learned to safeguard against the decay of their memories. This would not do, not do at all. Prototype T tried his best to explain the concept of records and writing, but he didn't really understand it that well himself so he probably didn't do a very good job...

Teaching the Annies how to store memories as a form of writing. I think it would be cool if anyone could read them, not just telepaths.
+2 Telepaths (from the Annies) - already familiar with transferring memories from one to another, just need to transfer to other things too now
-2 Stupid
-2 Deformed - Anyone can read the memory reservoirs, but they find them strange and disturbing. Or the process of imprinting memories twists objects into unusual shapes that are disturbing to those with the eyes to see them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Florencia
1 bd

The long trek in the vicinity had wiped her out, and the sudden brainwave that she had been connected to this mind ever since the lavatubes took her through the core of the world was cold comfort at best. Florencia concentrates in her mind and attempts to engage the alien intelligence. "I thought I had met the gaia mind of this world already, but I guess she's just a replacement. You're the real deal."

She sighs "You called me here, I helped those nomads as best I could, what do you want?" Florencia closes her eyes and exhales. "And please, try to see things from my point of view."

Growth+2 to assert my ego/sense of self here and develop a more clear, complex relationship with the planet-mind, basically Florencia gets a better sense of Gaia's perspective and the planet mind understands things through Florencia's perspective)

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Gralesma
1BD

To one like Gralesma, time was a hard thing to comprehend. The ebb and flow of life, slowly intensifying, accompanied by prayers and sacrifice a sensation she was likely to simply enjoy, and the death of individual goblins meaningless to one for whom each life is truly equal. And so the goblins would find a few months where their Goddess made no demands of them except those that were standing. her thoughts meandered as the days passed, deep and slow. She thought of Dead Earth and Killing Water. She thought of her children leaving her, never to return from the dead space above. She had destroyed one, but others, like the fire woman seemed to desire for it. Her children should be given strength to deal with it. To fight horrors like that from returning and stamping out the life the was arising.

She knew what path she'd follow. Two powers had she given them already. There were her priestesses, who increased fertility of land and womb, healed injuries and could move earth around, provided blood rituals were enacted then there were the living hives, who sacrificed their own flesh to command Now, she would give them a third power. This time, she chose some of the bravest scouts that ventured the furthest. In a dream, she appeared to them, giving them visions of the Dead Earth and the Killing Water. And she reminded them of her power. And then, to them, she put some of her own power into the world, and taught the scouts how to use it. The scouts, fearfully, asked what the price of such power was, because they knew their mother.

"There is no cost." She surprised them. "Nor must one even worship me to use it. Teach it to others. Teach it to those of other tribes. Teach it to those non-goblins. Let this be a world where to build with Dead Earth is to build with sand. Useless and dangerous. Let Living Earth be people's shelter."

So did she act. A Mother helps children pick the right path, spreading the Moleshrooms, and discourages the wrong one, with these new Dead Earth purifiers.

Picking Magic. Using Magic+2, Earth +2 to create a new kind of magic that specializes in returning metal, pottery, silicon and stone objects to their 'natural state' of stone, sand, earth or ore, so basically destroys most technological objects. This skill is not tied to the goblin race or worship of Gralesma. Gralesma wants this knowledge to spread far and wide. However, that does mean she is going against her Demanding-2 nature. However, I really want this to succeed, so I'm going to put my last bonus die in it.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 11, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Year 3
The awakening Cold, the Sun begins its slumber.

Ongoing effects:
Warp Trees - Growing, will be ready in Year 4.
Seeds of Life - Iantho - Uncertain
Blessing of rain and fertility - Iantho and Graselma - Lasts until Year 4.
Spreading the Moleshrooms - Uncertain
Trial of the Plant Faithful - Ends at the beginning of the Cold Year 4.

Tree of Life - Greater Artefact.
Primal Might - All life around the Tree of Life grows large and powerful, both plant and animal.
Magma Tubes - Any creatures that can survive in magma can use these to travel between volcanoes, vents and the Tree of Life.
Global Resonance - Energy and sound travels through the walls of the tube, crossing around the planet to vents and volcanoes as well as to the Tree of Life itself.
Anvil of Dhuum - Minor Artefact.
Glypt Fortress - Fortified [+2], penalty when sieging.

Yalag

On top of the mountain, Yalag gazed forth and claimed the lands he could see and that which lay below as his own. As his roar echoed throughout the land and through caverns he felt it speak back to him. Lands far off were just as bereft of life as those around his mountains, but there was a faint trace worming its way through a riverway running through your lands. And with that life, the touch of another’s hand. Not quite like a dragon, but similar in power to your own.

Yalag may chose one of the following traits to add to his own: Animals [+2], Invention [+2] or Metals [+2].

Iantho

The process of safely waking living beings from cryo sleep using technology that was delicate and falling apart took a lot of time. Iantho had to use his divine energy in place of some components and critically failing connections. When you finally awoke the first, you saw that they were not adults, but were instead adolescents. They spoke a language, but it soon became clear after the third that they had not been taught much at all. Apparently starting clean and being free of sin meant they had kept them ignorant overall. They would be utterly unable to survive on their own, especially in this world still struggling to avoid its final gasp.

You recover a dozen children, six boys and six girls of one of the indigenous races.

Tevas

The lesson that Tevas learned, was that worship and your actions as a god also affected your followers. For the combination of herbs and their distillation did indeed create a powerful stimulant that kept the throat lubricated and healthy...but was also incredibly addictive to those with water or plant magic. So his need for worship became mirrored in an addiction to these drugs to stave off sleep. It was not entirely healthy, for the Faithful pushed their bodies beyond their limits and began to damage themselves. The Faithful had been given a holy command and thus they followed it exactly as Tevas had commanded them to, even if it was not what he had wanted in this situation. As for the plant-creatures, just as they were a window into the soul of the Faithful, Tevas could clearly see how the addiction affected them. None of them had slept or rested, praying almost constantly since they first drank the God’s Breath. It was almost enough to counterbalance the cost in worship, if they could be made to worship harder than this then they would generate a slight net positive amount of worship. But the cost of this was damaging them, their leaves began to fray at the edges and grow discoloured. The damage the Faithful were doing to themselves physically mirrored within the plant-creatures. Yet to intervene would also cut back on the flow of worship, something that Tevas might not be prepared to do.

Success with a critical drawback, you rolled really poorly and now Tevas can see the costs of his addiction mirrored in the new addiction to the Faithful.

T'l-Dohgull

The problem with the Cold was the incredible amount of ice due to the plunging temperatures, and the fact it remained frozen for a long time. Pure water frozen into ice was extremely reflective. But if you alternated the temperature more during the waxing winter, you could cause more mud to mix into the ice then it would reduce the reflectivity of it and lower the albedo. You needed to practice it this time before you could teach it to anyone for the future, but it was something that could be passed on in time.

It took you almost all of the cooling period to finish the task, but you could see that there was less glare and it was easier for everyone to see.

Success, you lower the albedo around the swamp which will make the Cold slightly warmer. The weather will still be just as harsh though.

Rooh-Vah

In the old world, there had been a stone that had two languages on it. Through it, an ancient and almost lost language had begun to be deciphered. A single stone had been the key. So too would it be with you, although the key was linking between speech and writing. The peoples of this world were not used to having the luxury of writing things, and for reading them. This would help teach all those that came here the basics as well. The forging took a long time, because you needed a child to help you with it. Their minds were still forming, and that helped imprint a learning sort of effect into the stone. The words were all basic concepts, with another set for smithing and metal working. You passed the knowledge around to Steel-Men, and would prepare to show the travelling Glypts that would begin to arrive after the worst of the Cold.

Great Success, although Rooh-Vah doesn’t really understand how, you replicate child-like imprinting and mimicry into a Rosetta Stone to teach the basic words of the language.

Prototype T

While it seemed unlikely that two gods at near opposite sides of the world would try the same thing at the same time, little did Prototype realise that it was mirroring in a way what Rooh-Vah was doing. Except the memory stones it wanted the Annes to create were not a beginners guide to written language but their own repository of memory. And despite the unnatural ways that Prototype T, with its strange inconsistent and illogical mix of computer logic and natural instinct tried to demonstrate this to the Annes, they seemed to pick up the concept with remarkable grace and speed. The stones that they created were unassuming in appearance as a result, but when someone picked them up they would experience the imprinted memories as if they were there own. Potentially for other races, the experience of being blind and seeing through other means could also be quite disorienting.

Good success, despite your double penalty you rolled incredibly well on this roll. Well done! Also get your bonus die for invoking both penalties.

Florencia

Does it trouble you, to be moved around and changed by something greater than you? This is the lesson that I sought to teach.

The message is not spoken or communicated in a formal abstract concept. It is like a feeling, instinct and gut knowledge echoing through you.

You came to my world, drifting through the void and I welcomed you. I have little to give, but that which I do you may have.

So it was that you took my blood and bound it into the child of the others making. This I did not mind, for it was a gift given freely and it brought no strife or harm to my children.

When you entered my blood I came to watch, to see who it was that had taken off my gifts. Then you came across my children and I grew concerned.

My children are lost and need a guide. If you are to bind themselves to you then you must help them. My gifts I give freely, but my children I do not.

They are not playthings, and while they are small and fragile, and easily lead astray they are mine and I love each and every one of them.

Graselma

The problem with magic, was that while you could weave it and manipulate things on a grand scale, mortals were much more limited in power and foresight. The deconstruction magic, a simple trick of time that used spell energy to reverse the changes in natural objects, was very well made and independent of your power and presence. However like another god elsewhere, you realised that it would take time for mortals to nurture this gift to a level you desired. Magical power was a mysterious confluence of circumstance, environment, ancestry and also nearby free magical energy. Not only would it generations to build up, there would be limits to what one person alone could do. Powerful sorcerers and wizards would be able to push the limits, but for anything large and or complicated lesser mortals would need to work together to make a change. Graselma wasted no time disseminating this new magic to the goblins, with strict instructions to teach it to anyone would listen, or they could make to listen. Magic that did not require blood sacrifice was somewhat confusing to the children of the Earth Mother, but they had learned that to question her was an excellent means of natural selection.

Great Success, you create a new form of magic, Unravelling. It will have a great deal of potential uses, and will change the nature of siege warfare even once countermeasures and wards to protect against it are developed.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tevas - 1 BD

Tevas luxuriated in the immense flow of worship and prayer. Distracted by its power, it took him weeks to even begin to notice it’s ill effects on the Faithful. It was the plant-faithful’s wilting that brought it to his notice. It left the god in a dilemma. For the worship this self-destructive course brought was sweet indeed, intoxicating, but he knew that in the long-run it would lead to the destruction of the Faithful. Tevas struggled with this for another week, every time he had built up the resolve to act, he would be distracted by another delicious burst of worship and prayer. Finally, he steeled himself and gathered the Faithful.

“I have seen what you have done, and on one level I am well pleased that you sacrifice yourselves to me so eagerly. However, in another you have dealt me a grievous insult. For your bodies are in many ways temples to my glory, and when you slowly destroy yourselves it is no different than if you allowed a temple to me to slowly fall into dilapidation and disrepair, an unacceptable affront. There may be times when you are called to face injury or death in my service, but those times will be clear, under normal circumstances I expect you to treat your own forms with the reverence and respect due to my temples. Now, go, and continue your work, keeping my holy edict ever in your hearts.”

It had not been an easy thing to do for the god. The thought of decreasing the worship that filled him with energy and bliss by even the smallest bit made him shiver, but he steeled himself that it had to be done. Of course, that was not to say that he had entirely surrendered to the idea of forever lessening the amount of worship he received, no he would have to pursue a different tact, perhaps substituting quality for the quantity he was being forced to give up. So it was that he called the Plant-Faithful before him. They served as a window into the souls of the Faithful, and perhaps he would be able to leverage that knowledge to serve his ends.

Once they assembled, he gave them his new command, they were to go among the other Faithful and use their connection to see and understand the hearts of their brethren. They would use this knowledge and connection to try and deepen the Faithful’s already strong devotion to him. Perhaps such a thing was impossible, but Tevas would not permit even the possibility that the Faithful might have have the capacity to be even more absolute in their adoration of him to go unexploited. So, the Plant-Faithful were tasked with attempting to make the Faithful even more Faithful in the hopes that the quality of their prayers might help offset the decrease in quantity.

With the Plant-Faithful tasked with their holy purpose, Tevas turned to another gambit to help cover the gap. The problem was that the Faithful did not rest enough, driven as they were to offer up pleasing prayer to their god. Perhaps if they could be made to require less rest, the amount of prayer that need diminish could be lessened. Of course, if he was enhancing their constitutions, he might as well enhance them generally as well. For ever since he had been faced with the existence of other gods in this world, the thought that their people might be stronger or faster or more handsome or beautiful had weighed on him. So, rather than a simple elixir to reduce the number of hours the Faithful needed to rest to fully restore, Tevas committed himself to a more ambitious program. He would make sure the mixture left him with the strongest, the hardiest, and the most handsome and beautiful in all the world. For had he not just told them that their bodies were temples dedicated to his glory? Then how could he permit them to be anything less than the very best?

Working day and night, Tevas unleashed his divine power with abandon, growing whole new strains of plants and mixing them in new and novel ways with water he spent days purifying and enhancing. It was not easy work, for as the worship declined, even by a small amount he found himself growing distracted, his thoughts sluggish and his hands clumsy, but he redoubled his efforts and focus, sustained by his vanity and the hope that this might restore some fraction of that lost worship. The finished mixture was a thick paste with a pungent odor, when ingested it would forever change the user with only a single dose being required per person. It would grant them superior strength, superior dexterity and constitution, and it would make them exceedingly pleasing to the eye. This would both make them better able to maintain greater levels of prayer without damage and set them above the followers of any other god. Moreover, it would underscore to the Faithful his new commandment, for once Tevas had perfected them, how could they deny that their forms were monuments to his glory.

Tevas is going to command the Faithful to make sure they maintain their bodies, and not let them break down. Because they’re Faithful[+2] he’s expecting them to obey, especially with the religious rationale he’s based on. Relatedly, he’s commanding the Plant Faithful to use their nature as a reflection of the Faithful’s souls to help deepen the Faithful’s devotion to him(if such a thing is possible), in order to try and cover the gap in the quantity of worship lost by making sure the Faithful sleep enough with increased quality.

Hoping to limit the amount of prayer lost, and underscoring the new religious tenant, Tevas is also going to use his control over Plants[+2] to grow new species of potent herbs and roots to mix with specially purified and prepared Water[+2] for a mixture he designed using his mastery of Alchemy[+2]. The mixture, when ingested, permanently transforms an individual making them stronger, hardier(and thus hopefully requiring less sleep to stay healthy), and more handsome/beautiful. Of course his Jealous[-2] desire that his followers not just be strong and handsome/beautiful, but the strongest and most handsome/beautiful followers of any god makes the work much more difficult because he won’t settle for anything less than the most potent version of the mixture. A task made doubly difficult thanks to his Worship Addiction[-2] constantly gnawing at him due to the minor withdrawal. Spending a Bonus Die

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Prototype T and the Annes. Bonus Dice: 1

Big T was delighted with the memory crystals of the Annes. His new handlers were such clever little things. He wanted to reward them and show them how proud he was. He was sitting near the waterfall while he though this. It was one of his favorite places since the cool mist from the falls felt good on his dry skin. Just then, as he was thinking about how to reward his people, the waters of the lake that caught the waterfall turned blood red, spreading out from the center as the prolific plankton he'd made gave birth to another new generation, filling the lake to capacity and turning it red as they converted the sun's light into energy. That's it, Big T, thought to himself. I will make fish to populate the river. I will make new life so the Annes can follow it and feed well even if the land won't support them. Dipping his leg-thick fingers and flexible tail into the pond he stirred the life-bearing waters and brought his will to bear to bring forth new kinds of fish. Fish that would be born in the rivers but follow the flow downstream and out to the ocean and then, in time, drawn by the memory of their miraculous birth, swim all the way upstream to spawn a new generation.

Creating anadromous fish like salmon and rainbow smelt.
King of Beasts +2
Building up from my earlier introduction of plankton to add more and larger life to the waters.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Florencia
1 bd

It had been a long time since Florencia had said something to an authority figure that wasn't some variation of 'Try and stop me, pig!', but being lectured by a planet mind while stuck down in the mud with the mortals was an annoying eye opener.

"Alright, alright, no, well, playing god with the squishies, I understand." At this point the villagers were probably used to her walking around and mumbling to herself. "So what else do you want me to do, and how do I do it when I'm well, down here in the muck?" Florencia shakes her head. "And I'm willing to help out if you're willing to help me, what can you give me to guarantee I just won't be run over by another godling on this world that doesn't care about anything you just said?" She pauses a moment.

"...oh yeah, that reminds me, that village down there I left, I should probably go back to it, at some point." She tries to focus. What was that big ugly dude again?

Nothing really pertinent. Basically going "ok, now what?" at the planet mind and trying to figure out what's been going on since I've been gone.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 16, 2015

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
T'l-Dohgull
0 Bonus Dice

Above all else, he intended to survive. To survive, he needed the glypts. To keep the glypts healthy, he needed the land to be healthy. What he did here was good but wasn't going to change much on the continent let alone the planet. Altering the albedo locally was a good start but T'l-Dohgull knew he'd have to expand the scope of it to have any real effect. The problem of how was on his mind as the Cold increased. And it was the Cold that inspired his response.

He sat in his darkened chamber, beneath the rest of the settlement, and used his power to bore a hole straight up to the surface. A small hole, enough to put his fist into, enough to let some light in--enough to let in some of the Cold while he worked. From the smiths he gathered caps of bronze; from the rock pile he gathered chips of shale and slate. He sat in the chamber as the camp's water was poured through the hole and pooled--they'd have enough to survive and would melt snow down for more, but he needed their surplus to work with. T'l-Dohgull sat in the water experimenting until he found a design that was both pleasing and would work the way he needed.

Practice was one thing; once he began the work in earnest it took all his concentration for days. The Cold was summoned down from above, distilled through its passage into the chamber. This rarefied Cold was enhanced by his will as he shaped it into Nine Diamonds of ice--capped with the bronze, inlaid with stone. Bolstered by his design and power, the ice would never melt in any natural heat, nor shatter under natural pressures. Only power like his could destroy them. The Diamonds would be both a focus for his power, and an extension of it; once set in place outside of the settlement he'd be able to sense them through the earth and use his powers through them as though he were present. He could expand his range without ever leaving the camp.

Eight would be laid in reliquaries several days' travel away from camp, in the cardinal directions, once the Cold had subsided. The ninth he carried to the top of the terrace, under the cold light of day, the other glypts commanded to watch. By the lone tree at the top he forced a glypt of earth and stone to rise from the ground, slightly larger than the real thing. He set the Diamond into the statue's hands and stepped back. The statue shifted, turning from glypts to raise the Diamond high, as though presenting it to the sun. As T'l-Dohgull made his way down the terrace the statue moved with the sun, the diamond always aimed towards it.

TLDR version: Nine Diamonds! Their ice never melts and they cannot be shattered, except by supernatural or advanced technological means. They'll be set in statues that serve as border markers, warnings, what-have-you, far outside the glypts' typical territory. So long as they are connected to the earth through their statues, T'l-Dohgull will be able to use his power through them and have a general sense of their condition. The first is set up on the terrace, held by a statue with a vague animating force that always faces the sun. (The later statues will have different, more defensive, powers.)

Using Cold +2, Secure +2 and Earthworks +2 to imbue the diamonds with these properties. Also invoking Isolation-2 and Single-Minded -2 to gain a Bonus Die as this will take his focus into the next turn and he's draining the camp's supplies (metal and water) on this venture.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rooh-Vah
0/2 BD

Log Y3WaxC - Written Word and Upgrades

>The process was, for once, a success.
>The language is being picked up, they have not yet decided on a name, but the language has similarities to their own, so they have picked it up quickly.
>The most interesting thing I found, the oldest members of the tribe were the ones who chose to learn the language first
>Some members have started to use the new language to put the older stories, passed through word of mouth to brass sheets
>Others have been using them to inscribe some of the specifics of Metal-Working to brass sheets.
>The Four Smiths of Dhuum themselves have been working on a collaborative project, to intone the secrets of their craft into a tome.
>They were unwilling to share however, understandable.
>It has been interesting to observe what the introduction of reading and writing has done to change how things are done around the tribe.
>I will let them see where they take it first for now, I have personal matters to attend to.

>In the other situation, I have been dismantling the satellite.
>It is relatively advanced, some components are familiar but others I only have on rudimentary understanding of.
>I do believe I have enough knowledge however, to cannibalize it's components.
>And incorporate them into myself. Mainly components involving satellite apparatus.
>It would allow me to connect to the orbital data web more easily, as objects that have been designed to work in the vacuum of space for years, I assume will function on the ground.
>The process may be a little risky, but we shall see how it works.

Self Maintenance, Rooh-Vah is going to try and dismantle the satellite, and stick in the bits that work better into himself. [+2] Artifice counts when you are working on yourself of course, but there leaves the matter of there being very limited sunlight, so [-2] Solar Powered. And that doesn't also ignore the fact that this is essentially operating on yourself, so for once I can actually use [-2] Fragile as well

Let's hope I don't break myself, it would be unfortunate.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 17, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Gralesma
0BD

The cold was slowly rising again, and food was becoming scarce. Compared to a few years ago, it was bountiful of course, but then, the amount of young goblins to feed had exploded as well ,and to Gralesma's pleasure, many female goblins were heavy with child. But if this continued, soon, there would not be enough food, and goblins who might otherwise be allowed to survive, would have to return to her sooner. It was time to expand. She considered making a third tribe away from the others, but no, that was not the way. It was good for life to measure itself against others. And this way, the knowledge she had bestowed could be spread. And so, the High Priestess of the Many Maw Tribe was given a vision. The women who were not too far pregnant, and whose youngest child was no longer on the breast were to head in a certain direction, and a certain amount of men would naturally follow, where they would find a lush growing tree. They would not be allowed to take anything from that tree that it did not drop naturally, and they were not allowed to disturb its roots, but they could build their warren near it, and protect it. Their name would be the Treeguard Tribe. As they arrived, and after the sacrifice of one goblin by the newly anointed Priestess of the new tribe, they would find the earth both extra willing to yield to their digging claws, and bountiful for their first hard weeks, despite the cold.

Gralesma wondered how the Tislaren would fare with her children. She did not give specific orders yet. She wanted to see how her children would act without her interference.

[i]Establishing a Third Tribe, towards the Tislaren's land, near the Warp Tree that was planted there. +2 Earth, +2 Fertility, +2 Fecund from the goblins themselves. Not sure if Magic +2 counts with the Priestess enacting a sacrifice. Initially, Gralesma is going to be hands-off regarding their reaction to the Tislaren, (though her 'teach everyone the new magic ways still stands) but she will specify that the Warp Tree is not allowed to be harmed.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Kush - Peak of Dragonspire Mountain™
Bonus Die - 2

The weak Sun warmed him slightly. Enough, perhaps. The view was certainly dismal, and the prospect of others… Yalag was ambivalent about that. Time would tell, if they were greater he would bide his time in their shadows. If they were lesser he would dominate them. If there was parity - well that would be interesting. Kush looked out on the dry, cracked landscape. Much was wrong in the world. The stars, the Sun, the very turn of the heavens were alien to the great Dragon. He was so very hungry, enough to eat several of any large game he could recall. The landscape could not support them. He was also thirsty.

That, perhaps, he could do something about.

Ages ago he had learned the sequence to a portal to an Elemental Plane of Water from a tribe of Merfolk. He had spared them for the tribute they offered, though at the time it seemed trivial. He grinned as he clawed the runes into the North Face of the Mountain, opposite the cave entrances. It would flow, not a mighty river, but enough to fill some of the lowlands below to make a reservoir. He looked on the path the water would take one last time, double-checking his calculations to ensure the tunnels below would not flood, and the lowlands below would retain the water as he desired.

I’m creating a one-way magic portal to an Elemental Plane of Water. Basically a magic water fountain. Utilizing my newfound Invention [+2] to make the necessary angle and path for the water to make an artificial lake, with a likely overflow for a meagre river.

Also tossing down a Bonus Die to add some old magic to this.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Year 3
The furious Cold, the Sun is wreathed in Rime.

Ongoing effects:
Blessing of rain and fertility - Iantho and Graselma - Lasts until Year 4.
Trial of the Plant Faithful - Ends at the beginning of the Cold Year 4.

Primal Might - All life around the Tree of Life grows large and powerful, both plant and animal.
Magma Tubes - Any creatures that can survive in magma can use these to travel between volcanoes, vents and the Tree of Life.
Global Resonance - Energy and sound travels through the walls of the tube, crossing around the planet to vents and volcanoes as well as to the Tree of Life itself.
Nine Diamonds of the Cold - Greater Artefact.
Sight beyond Sight - Each Diamond allows T'l-Dohgull and those mortals with the right magic or tolls to see through the others if they wish.
The Long Reach of the Night - T'l-Dohgull can reach beyond his current location with his power to any other, as can any mortal holding one of the Diamonds. Or, they can reach to T'l-Dohgull himself.

Tevas

The plant Faithful, the ones whose souls were made from worship were troubled by Tevas' command. They attempted to do as he wished, but mortals are rarely cognizant of their own souls. Although their situation was different all they could find is that they were as a mirror, reflecting that which was already there and unable to change it. The physical manifestation had simply been how their physical forms had reacted to the mistreatment they had suffered. There was a change in the Faithful as a whole though, slow and careful as they began to work out the careful balance where they could push themselves and yet still maintain their health. It was a delicate balance and would take into the next Heat to perfect.

Where the plants were governed, Tevas found his initial efforts did not go entirely as he wanted. The entire region around the tree was suffused with an energy that emanated from it and affected the creatures around it over long periods. It encouraged them to grow stronger, faster, tougher and to be better adapted to survive in their environments. Tapping into this Tevas found the key to making his plant affect the Faithful as he wished, it did little beyond what the energy in the region would have done over years and generations but instead collected the energy into a single flower. The concentrated energy could then be used in elixirs to cause the effects that Tevas desired. There was some considerable physical strain with this method though, and it would be dangerous for the old or young to consume it. But it would work for the Faithful that came from human stock. Those Faithful who were giant and whose bodies were more plant than flesh, along with the plant Faithful would need it to be altered before it worked.

Partial success. I feel bad for your low rolls, but this should work for you I hope. The plants work for humans, and will give them a kind of Greek statue-esque sort of beauty, as well as greater strength and stamina. They will grow elsewhere, but only work in this manner when they grow in range of the Tree's magic.

Prototype T

Part of the red mass suddenly disappeared as the first fish began to feed greedily. Soon other parts of it likewise began to be consumed, until there one and a half dozen fish in the pond. Prototype T might have felt disappointed by the small number of fish he had managed to create, but creating a new species from whole cloth was very difficult and took a great deal of energy. The plankton had been simple and easy, fish were not. But he had managed to do it, simple and prolific fish of roughly three indeterminate species that were difficult to tell apart. Once they had fed, a divine urge spurred them on to spawn and lay their eggs. Then they made their way to the ocean. They would die, but their children would be a few times in number as them. In turn their grandchildren would be many times in number as they were and in dozen generations the numbers would begin to be less critical. The fish having no local natural predators in the oceans would grow fat and large off of the plankton. In time that might cause some problems, but Prototype T definitely had a couple of decades to worry about improving the food chain.

Success, the roll was a little low for creating a new species from nothing but this was reflected in the fragility of their numbers currently and also in the fact that in time without something to regulate them they'll overfeed on the plankton.

Florencia

At this point, Florencia can either jump into the magma tunnels she created and travel back to her original tribe. She will gain her powers back, now that the Planet has taught her the lesson it wanted her to learn. Florencia can also remain nearby, either in her current demigod like state or she can shake off the Planet's binding on her power and remain on this continent at her current power level. You can interact with your elemental servant and still influence the Florencia Men, but to do miracles on that place you'll obviously need be there. You can travel through the tunnels as you wish, but remember that you can only travel to areas on the surface which have a volcanic vent for you to exit from.

The Planet's awareness will return to watching, if you try to expel it it won't resist, but it won't just leave on its own as of yet.

T'l-Dohgull

Nine Diamonds were made, 8 carried forth into the cold and the last to remain within the hold.

A heart of cold and skin of night, made of ice beyond mortal might.

In time T'l-Dohgull would learn the consequences of what happens to gods who mind their power into physicals things. But such tales will last for another day. Yet in the beginning at least they did as he wished, and the Frost Lord knew what transpired in the lands of his domain and at their border.

They work, but have you read a story about a Ring?

Rooh-Vah

The satellite was old and a lot of the circuitry was not usable, but many of the mechanical parts had not significantly atrophied or suffered damage during their usage. Rooh-Vah needed to lubricate some and replace a few minor components but they were easily manufacturable with the use of the forge of Dhuum. While the new parts did not offer him any improved function or utility, he knew that he could use them as replacements for certain other parts and remove the redundancy if he overexerted himself in the future.

Success, gain a free Bonus Dice from this.

Gralesma

The journey was difficult in the height of the Cold, travelling on the surface was quicker than tunnelling all the way but it exposed the fledgling tribe to the harsh winter of the Cold. Compared to other peoples they managed to survive by burrowing underground in temporary shelters to avoid the worst of the weather, but it was a slow and difficult journey. The Earth Mother could sense that in just a few weeks the warp trees would be ready for use. Having caretakers on the other side was more important than before. In the end a third of those travelling to the new tribe's home around the warp tree perished, but the others were still with child and their numbers would be replaced with a new generation quickly enough. Graselma would need to give the new tribe time to establish itself before she could afford to tax it. Although the golbins were fecund, their young still needed a few years to grow to maturity.

Success, although there is attrition from the tough journey which is difficult for the mothers. Mortals travel slower and it's harder both to travel and to forage for food in the height of the Cold.

Yalag

So it was that Yalag came across something quite curious indeed. The portal was very difficult to create, his grasp of the theory and structure was correct, the geometries were perfect he knew. There was simply one answer for this, and that was that there had not been an elemental plane of water metaphysically nearby to connect to. So, he had created one. Normally cause preceded effect, but in this case it was effect that came first. A curious quirk of Power indeed. Yalag was very much thirsty now, although food and drink were never truly necessary for a god or being of Yalag's Grace. It was crystal clear and pure to drink. The lake was also very much devoid of the plankton infestations present in the other nearby water sources. Yalag found himself tired from this endeavour though, it seemed that creating planes from void and nothing was exceedingly draining to his power. It would take him a few weeks to recover his full stamina.

Great Success, you rolled high and got something interesting. Like with Tevas and Maruthuk's tree, you are Tired this turn and can only use a single trait towards your next action. You are free to use as many drawbacks as you wish however.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Greenlord

It's certainly not paradise. Far from it. Still, Iantho's concern the cryogenics system would fail led to him reviving the youths, which meant that he had a responsibility for them, for better or worse. He took them back to the lands of the Tislaren, where he found those Tislaren and Vaikai who were willing to take in the children and raise them. That problem being dealt with, Iantho also considered Graselma's latest trick. He liked the goddess, in a number of ways, but her attitude about technological advancement puzzled him, and he knew it could be a problem.

Iantho pondered. Back in his own home, looking over its history, Iantho had realized that gods, regardless of where they were from, tended to react towards each other with certain established patterns, basic behavioral archetypes. One of those was that of the fighting lovers...two gods who were drawn to each other in an intimate codependent way, but at the same time, were in opposition to each other. It concerned Iantho that he was falling into the old patterns here, because did that mean that the entire process would play out again. Would the gods of this world doom the place in a god war too? It was something Iantho couldn't let happen. Yet, at the same time, Iantho couldn't let Graselma's machine-destroying magic go unchecked. That would lead to stagnation. So, he taught some magic of his own.

Creating my own magic...this is magic to repair, to strengthen, to create, to preserve. +2 technology

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Prototype T and the Annes. Bonus Dice: 1

Big T watched as his new food source swam into existence. 1. 2. Few. Many? Not many? Just few?! FEW unacceptable! Big T roared out his fury and the newly fishes defying his command. "Be fruitful! Multiply!" His earth-shaking roar carried not just the sound of his will, but also his divine desire through the air and into the too few fish. But some of the fish had swam off down the river before Big T's tiny brain had finished 'counting' and so he charged down the river bank, following his escaping children and roaring out his command over and over again. "Be many fishes!"

Going to need more fish than that. Increase their starting numbers and the fertility of the first few generations.
King of Beasts +2
Growth +2
Stupid -2
Deformed -2
I'm applying both flaws this time since he's in more of a hurry and well, shouting at things to grow is pretty stupid.

Hi Jamez! A roaring T-rex with missile launchers on his shoulders is coming to visit!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 23, 2015

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Yalag - Foot of Dragonspire
BD - 1

"So now you have a water source. In time it will have fish. You can use this water for many things but take care not to foul it, as this water is...sacred to me." Yalag wrapped up the day of instruction, answering questions the Yiplings filtered through the Elders. He was aware of a great rumbling throughout the day. It influenced his instruction on outsiders.

Yalag waited until he saw the Being approaching. It seemed formidable. A challenger? It would have difficulty climbing, though the cybernetics might make that moot. He called out:

"Hile and well met. Do you come to challenge Yalag's claim to these lands?"

Greeting the newcomer. S'up LL6?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Prototype T

Prototype T's eyes, for all the size, could barely make out the much larger dragon from so far away. He was built for seeing things close enough to bite, not all the way on top of a mountain. "Hile? T not know what Hile means. Is that like hello?" The god-like dinosaur waved his tiny arms in an attempt to gesture Hi. "Me Prototype T. Who you? Wait! I know!" T-rex snatched up one of his newly created fish with his jaws and roared out around the mouthful of salmon: "Fish! Want one? Only few though. Still young. Many more and some different in river soon. Friends? Here." Prototype T tried to offer the fish in his mouth to Yalag. "Please leave not-fish in river alone. I must protect not-fish."

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
BD - 1

Yalag chuckled and flew down to inspect the newcomer. He turned to the mountain, shook his head, and waved to the Yipling lookouts. They came out of hiding behind several boulders up on the cliffs.

"I thank you for your fish, and accept your gift of friendship." He took the fish and placed it into the waters. "Go little one. I spare you, but not your spawn."

"I will give you the gift of fire: a flask of a tar that will burn for a long time." The yiplings brought the item forth.

"I take it your not-fish are little persons like my Yiplings here. I protect the Yiplings. I shall not harm yours, you shall not harm mine. I will make sure mine know yours are protected - but may or may not choose to become friends as we are." Yalag gave a wide smile.

"If you need help call and I will answer. I am glad to have a friend in this dead world."

Why take through violence what you can gain by diplomacy?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rooh-Vah
1/2 BD - 1 BD

Log Y3ZC - Mass Production

>This log has no text in it, the writer was busy it seemed.
>But there was a long list of search function through it's data banks.

---

The winter season was mostly uneventful, food was plentiful, the new brass books helped pass the time. Except there was much clanging.

Rooh-Vah was squirreling away some errant pieces of metal, requisitioning the Anvil of Dhuum for periods at a time, working on something. Something that apparently required the invention of several fine tools in the process.

Eventually, one of the Smiths of Dhuum approached him, the machine in front of him was nothing like that he had ever seen. A metal rig holding what looked like a large square stamp. Rooh-Vah was in the corner, obsessively carving symbols into small piece of metal. On closer inspection the symbols seem to be of a single letter.

"Low King? What is this device?"
>Honourable Smith Volkan, this is a device of my world, an old device that will allow the production of our new tomes
"But can we not make them by hand"
>Yes but, this machine, can allow us to make many, many books.
"How?"
>Very simple

The Low King of the Steel Folk took up the stamp portion of the machine, the lower part seemed to be removable, flipping it over the underside seemed to be a mesh with a few letters clipped onto it.

>Pulling the level will impress these letters into a brass sheet, they can also be swapped around and reused as many times as we need
"But Low King, we are giving the tomes to the Glyphs yes? Why do you plan to make so many?" Inquired the smith
Rooh-Vah paused, and then said very plainly >I need to
You need to?

>There is an urge, and urge to create
>When I communicated with the, stars, I found it a little difficult to think unless I put my mind to something.
>It's maddening so many thoughts trying to escape and become things. So, I wanted to make this
He put back the stamp, and picked up the small tools again.
>But with this, we can go beyond. the technology that used to be prevalent on this planet has been lost, it is a tragedy to be sure, but it can be brought back.
>Small things, but what if we were to spread this knowledge to others? Give them the means to create things of their own and allow them to innovate and invent.
>Much has been lost, much needs to be clawed back.
>We have tools of steel and there used to be tools that could control energy itself
>But slowly if we introduce this knowledge back, perhaps we can bring some of that old technology back.
>Would perhaps you like to help me with this in particular?

Rooh-Vah is making an artifact. Well I say artifact, it's a very conventional device

it's a Printing press, modified of course, paper books are not a thing that Rooh-Vah can create at this moment in time. [+2] Artifice of course, and with such a thing being invented, Rooh-Vah will surely be able to pull some [+2] Inquisitive Steel folk into help. And all of that slowly building mad inspiration needs and out, 1 BD to ensure this device works

This is all during the cold and underground so [-2] Solar Powered

I want to swap [-2] Fragile for something else, building up to the change of course if possible in story. If you are familiar with Discworld books, I was thinking of grabbing what Lennard of Quirm has. Something that means 'incredibly smart but also easily distracted', but I can't quite put a name to it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tevas - 1BD

As the Faithful slowly learned their balance between maintaining their health and pleasing their god with extra prayer and worship, Tevas looked upon them. The Plant-Faithful had yet to distinguish themselves though a third of the time for their trial had elapsed. Tevas had little doubt that they were even now searching out a way to earn his favor, and that the other Faithful would eagerly aid them in their quest. However, he had to concern himself with the Faithful as a whole. It was clear that they had benefited much from his mastery of preparing and mixing plants to produce salves and elixirs. Perhaps it was time to learn some of the art themselves.

So it was that Tevas began to teach the Faithful the alchemical craft. Steeped in prayers and religious symbols he taught them the basic principles involved in preparing various types of plants, and the processes that could be performed on them to strengthen or dilute their effects. Next he taught them some general rules for identifying useful combinations of ingredients, and the rules for where to look to find various useful plants, and how to safely identify the effects of novel or unknown strains.

For the Faithful, Alchemy was to be a gift from their god. It’s teachings inseparably tied to worship and glorification of Tevas, a holy and godly practice.

Teaching the Faithful the basic principles of alchemy. Alchemy[+2] to cover the processes involved, Plants[+2] to teach them to identify useful types of plants.

At the same time, the Faithful are going to assist the Plant-Faithful in finding a way to prove their usefulness to Tevas. Their faithful[+2] nature making it easy for them to see what Tevas values and desires, and helping them to find someway for the Plant-Faithful to please their god.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Gralesma 0 BD

It was regrettable that many of her children had died, but nothing could be done. She could not risk leaving the trees undefended. Their bodies would feed the earth and provide food later. However, some of those had died had been ones who had been learning her new magic. This was a new thing. Life produced more life, but now, with death, knowledge was lost. And with the goblins life never being safe, this could lead to many of the things she wished to teach them being forgotten. After all, teaching things through examples and speaking alone was not always good enough. There had to be a better way. And thus, gralesma thought, and crafted a new magic. And to her Priestesses, she taught a new rite.

Those who wished to learn something could bring a living sacrifice to the Priestess, willing or unwilling. They would need to cut off a part of themselves. A finger, an eye, a hand. As always, greater sacrifices produced greater results. A willing victim would give better results as well. Then, the Priestess would cut open the victim's skull, ask Gralesma not to claim this part and replace it with the parts the petitioner sacrificed. Then, the one, or the ones requesting the rite would devour the brain of the sacrifice. And his knowledge would flow into them. It wasn't a sacrifice to be taken lightly though. And Gralesma forbid its use on any goblin who had not lost at least as many teeth as they had fingers, and was thus not already halfway towards being part of the yearly sacrifice.

Writing is for nerds. Goblins safeguard and spread knowledge by oral traditions. And with oral traditions I mean eating of the brain in solemn rites. Pretty hefty sacrifice on the part of those profiting to avoid literal brain drain as everyone with a bit of knowledge gets braineaten, but if some old priestess or mage with tons of knowledge is nearing his last days (and is lacking teeth) he is expected to pass on what knowledge he hasn't taught the old fashioned way though this rite. Magic +2 because it's magic.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
BD - 1

With the strange being met and greeted Yalag spent his time instructing the Yiplings. He did not have a specific focus, though the few craftspeople the tribe possessed he attempted to educate the most. He explained the simple machines: The pulley, the wheel and axle, the inclined plane, the screw, the wedge, and the lever. Anyone who made anything, anyone who had a process, Yalag sought to improve upon it. It wasn’t just the tools or the things, mind, his goal was to change the way they thought of themselves and approached every day life. What he had met upon his arrival was a group of ruthless survivors. What he wanted them to become was a group of ruthless innovators.

After all, he never accepted anything but the very best for his personal minions.

Using my new Invention [+2] domain and relying on their own Craftiness [+2] I am instructing the Yiplings on the general theory of improving on existing ways of doing things and creating entirely new ways to do things as well. I’m trying to help them in their transition from generations of scavengers to a new life of... we don’t know yet but we can be drat sure we’ll have the knowledge to handle it.

LLSix if you want to continue to chat that's cool. You seem to have disappeared and I wanted to get my action posted. I may pay a visit in a few turns.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Florencia
1 bd

Well, that was that, it was time to move on. Florencia inhaled deeply as her original essence returned to her and couldn't resist a maniacal cackle and dramatic pose as she theatrically burst into flame in front of all the villagers. She tried hovering for a bit but it just looked like a bunch of sad stationary bunny hops. Feet aground, she addresses them. "I will never forget the kindness you have shown me, and I am not abandoning you. I have duties to this entire world. I, or one of my chosen, will return to you. Use the tools I gave you to carve out a future for yourselves and your children." She takes a step back for a backdive flourish into the nearby magma pool but misjudges the distance and kinda stumbles backwards instead. "This world WILL live agaAAGH" *ploop* Okay, that didn't go as well as it could, but lets move on. Florencia had found that while it never went away, the strength of the voice tended to wax or wane depending on how far she was from a certain point. Hopefully she could use that as a guide. As she moved through the arteries of the planet, she sensed other openings as well. Emerging from them she coughs and hacks for a moment before belching up a couple of the fireseeds she had brought along. Planting them at the intersection of underground springs and magma, hopefully they'd spread across the world with time.

After several stops around the globe, she senses the presence of her cathedral and builds momentum as she races toward the exit. Florencia explodes from the central vent into the main quarters and addresses her worshipers in a proper diefic manner: "HEY ASSHOLES. *p-too* YOU MISS ME?"

Okay, using [Fire+2] and [Growth+2] to play Janey Appleseed here and spread fireseeds and the Good Word of Me to anyone directly around other magma-tube entrances before heading home.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

T'l-Dohgull
1 Bonus Die

Eight Diamonds meant eight solitary trips--out into the furious Cold, home again, then back out with the next. Eight statues made to rise from the earth to hold their treasure, a warning to outsiders that these were glypt lands. Eight rituals meant to imbue the statues with just enough movement and awareness that they could keep the Diamonds safe from prying hands. By the end of it all T'l-Dohgull was exhausted and never wanted to leave his home again.

Sorry, I know it's sparse. Been an oddly busy week here and I couldn't really get time to come up with better, but wanted to get something posted before the week was up. Earthworks+2 and Secure+2 to make statues that are also guardians of their respective diamonds.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Greenlord

Not for the first time, Iantho wishes this place had some more trees. It wasn't so much from the ecological standpoint (although that was part of it), as it was just that he liked to chew bark when he was nervous. He didn't need the nutrients or anything, but there was just something soothing about it. It was a habit he tended to keep quiet about, though. One of the downsides of preferring an animal form in a pantheon of mostly anthropomorphic gods is that it can be hard to find common interests. It wasn't that Iantho had never taken humanoid form before. He spent two centuries as an old man with an ashen face, fangs, and a bloody beard, and had for a brief time, been a young archer with a bow of gold, and also a fat drunk. But, for most of his history, he hasn't been humanoid, and that has an effect on your thinking.

So, no trees meant no bark, which meant no nervous chewing. The thing was, Iantho didn't have any idea why he was so nervous. Objectively, things were going well (or, at least as well as things could be expected to go here). The Tislaren and Vaikai were expanding and doing well for themselves. The planet's ecology....well, the planet's ecology was still a mess, but at least it was improving. He had met other gods and had relatively positive experiences with them, even though he hadn't heard from Florencia for a while, and Graelsma had a unique way of looking at the world that might cause problems in the future.

So why was he so worried? Why did he have this sense of foreboding? He didn't know, but Iantho trusted his instincts. Something was coming. Something bad. He had to be ready. So did the Tislaren.

Do the Tislaren have bows? If not, teaching them how to make and use bows. Technology +2

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Year 3
The melting Cold, the shadows call the years end.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are 6 turns after this turn before the time skip. If you want to start any long term projects to finish up during the break, start them now!

Ongoing effects:
Blessing of rain and fertility - Iantho and Graselma - Finishes this turn.
Trial of the Plant Faithful - Finishes this turn.

Sight beyond Sight - Each Diamond allows T'l-Dohgull and those mortals with the right magic or tolls to see through the others if they wish.
The Long Reach of the Night - T'l-Dohgull can reach beyond his current location with his power to any other, as can any mortal holding one of the Diamonds. Or, they can reach to T'l-Dohgull himself.

Iantho

Creating magic was hard. Testing magic was even harder in a world like this where you had so little ambient magic, no powerful bloodlines and for a magic related to restoring technology only advanced computers and machines far beyond the comprehension of practitioners. In short you could not really tell how effective it was in opposition to that which Graselma had created. It did work on small and simple tools or damage to wooden and grass buildings made of mud, but that was something easily done by hand fairly quickly. Iantho would need to wait, see and hope that it would be sufficient. Possibly you need to revisit it. That had been your project during the height of the cold as you shepherded the children safely and now you endeavoured to teach the Tislaren and their companions the art of archery, fletching and woodworking such to make a bow. Bow strings were not difficult to find materials for, but most of the materials were vulnerable and sensitive to water. This of course meant snow as well, and the cold season of this world was very prone to throwing around blizzards. You pondered the strangeness of such water being moved around in the winter months while the water cycle had very little free water. Fortunately the bows were more successful than your magic was, and the Tislaren children began practicing hunting small rodents and rabbit like creatures that had begun to breed rapidly with the abundant food and lack of natural predators.

Partial Success & Success, the magic is difficult to asses the effectiveness of and relies on a certain technical literacy of the user as well. The bows on the other hand are fairly successful although there is only a limited amount of game around and it is more suited to trapping than hunting currently.

Prototype-T

One fish, two fish, three fish more.
Five fish, six fish, seven fish great!
Nine fish, ten fish, eleven fish and I CAN'T RHYME ANYMORE!

The mechanical malevolent monstrosity's poor numeracy was a drawback in this situation, because while it counted a few new eggs they were actually the same ones and it just lost a track of the original ones.

Snake eyes, sorry for the poor roll but your post was extremely fun and entertaining and so I'll give you an extra bonus dice for it on top of the one you earned for invoking both drawbacks. Total of 2 BD earned for this action.

Yalag

The Yiplings had few immediate uses for many of the devices and theory that you instructed to them and commanded they pass on, but you knew that as they grew and they had more opportunities to build lasting works that the benefits to this would make themselves known. Crafty Yiplings began to think of interesting theories and applications for devices. Certainly their traps would become more sophisticated and there was even discussions about how to create some kind of crude fortified entrance. One thing the Yiplings began to contemplate was on how to write down knowledge. They had no formal written language, although given their creativity this was only a matter of time, but they were contemplating on how to scribe it down. There were rocks they found they could grind down and mix with water (carefully removed before mixing to avoid fouling the spring) but aside from cavern walls (which were getting an excellent use so far with some fascinating crude technical drawings) they lacked materials to write and draw upon.

Success, the Yiplings are figuring out some physical and mechanical principles, although they lack the resources and opportunities right now to make good use of it. This will be an investment however.

Rooh-Vah

Two printing presses were made, although the principles, theories and plans were written down with accompanying explanations to ensure that further machines could and would be made in the future. The first machine was more conventional compared to the basic principle, where blocks would be covered in ink and then pressed upon some kind of parchment or vellum which were both things not in abundance. However the second machine worked on pressing and imprinting into soft metals, such as gold. A page was prepared by melting a thin layer of gold or a similar soft and easily melted metal onto a stone slab. Once it had cooled, the machine would print by creating imprints into the metal. The pages were not any more vulnerable, and the only difficulty in the long term would be the relative rarity of such metals. Still the Steel Men and the Glypts both had no appreciation or lust for precious metals at this time, having little time to contemplate the acquisition of wealth in the past and even having lost a concept of precious metals and rare goods. The second press would see more use, for the immediate future at least. It was also substantially easier than carving into stone tablets as well.

Great success! You make a standard printing press, as well as one that you can use until you have a chance to get more vellum or paper in the future. Additionally one of the first things done is writing down how to make them and the principles and ideas behind both.

Tevas

It turned out that the plant-creature Faithful had a keen eye naturally and an instinctive understanding into herbology and plant lore. They could identify better than the other races of the Faithful, those plants that would create more potent brews due to their natural affinities. In terms of actual alchemy, they were no greater or lesser skilled than their fellows but they studied their lessons diligently and intently. For the time being all alchemical concoctions and salves needed to be used and applied straight away, and it was the plant faithful that considered substances that would be best suited to storing their creations without being affected, damage or contaminating their contents. Stone was the first thought, although difficult to find as none of the Faithful had any notion of quarrying at all. For acids they would need glass, although no acids, poisons or other harmful things (except for small doses for medicinal purposes) were made as the Faithful had no reason to need them.

Success, The plant faithful are good at plant lore given their affinity. The large giant ones that are part plant as well are not bad, but they lack the same affinities as they still eat vegetables and meat like flesh creatures.

Gralesma

Although the need for the ritual was understood, Graselma had not appreciated the resistance to it based on the faith that had begun to form around her. The idea of sacrificing someone for the good of the group was a concept that goblins could understand in theory, but when Graselma tried roleplay and testing different scenarios with them she found they would resist the need to do so on the ground that it denied a sacrifice to her. Additionally there was no way of really easily telling how they would act with it in the future. However there was one scenario that the goblins were very quick to perform the ritual if needed. It was an easy way to steal knowledge from an enemy if they were captured, and Graselma's children seemed to leap to this concept with a certain bloodthirsty quickness.

Success, although the goblins might err towards not using the ritual on their own more than Graselma would like, they have demonstrated their increasing bloodlust with quickly devising a way to weaponise it.

Florencia

Covering an entire planet, even with shortcuts taken through travelling through the mantle and molten arterial routes proved to be an incredible undertaking. Florencia did not yet posses omnipresence and as such had to settle with just making stops on her way home, minor detours, to avoid spending a further year from her original tribe. Her departure had caused a certain amount of stunned confusion and awe, and although you lacked the connection to them like you did with your...creature, you felt at least a tenuous connection to them for the time being. It seemed that they would follow you for now at least.

Florencia spread her seeds, although not her actual seed, along the trip home and emerged into a chapel with only the large creature that had once been a Tin Man awaiting her. It slightly apologetically explained that the others were still out gathering food and looking after a few nesting firebirds, but that they would be back later in the evening to celebrate. It seemed that it had sensed your return and tried to organise something in advance. That night there was no feast, but there was a fair bit of merriment and catching up done at least.

Success, although your roll was still low so you only covered a relatively direct line between the two tribes with the seeds.

T'l-Dohgull

The animated statues were very simple, and had only a bare semblance of sentience. They were not sapient of course, and they reacted to stimuli and certain situations more than anything. Attempt to kill anything not a Glypt that came to take a diamond. Only allow Glypts marked my T'l-Dohgull to take the stone. Otherwise prevent Glypts from taking the stone in a non-violent manner if possible. There were not any wild beasts to trigger them by accident, although in time animals would learn to avoid them.

T'l-Dohgull contemplated itself for a moment during this time. The merging between flesh and its original essence was now complete and thorough, it would be incredibly difficult for it to return to its original forms now. However, it sensed that its growing power and quintessence were a new pathway to some other form. It needed the energy created as a byproduct of sapient thought to grow and sustain itself. It would be easier to receive that passively and peacefully, but there was also the chance for it to seize it forcefully if it desired. At great harm to the being of course...

Success, you create guardians for each of the diamonds, although they are extremely simple and just animated earth and stone.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 1, 2015

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Yalag - Dragonspire Peak
BD - 1

“drat this insufferable cold. drat the coming heat. Things must be brought into balance…”

Yalag drew equations and schematics in the sand. Sketched blueprints in the hardpan. The water would serve as a heat sink, though proper foliage would also help it was not currently feasible, though the Dragon Lord had a few ideas once the ground fully thawed and the frost was gone. His current project was of a greater magnitude than any he had conducted before in so short a time. Usually an artifact of this magnitude would take him a decade, though he had no distractions or competing projects or need for secrecy. He was also far more powerful than he was in the old world.

The artifact would be a solar battery. It would convert the energy of the sun into a crystal, the chambers of which would expand as it was filled over the months of heat. It would also be an endothermic reaction in the formation of the crystal. Heat and light were to be absorbed in the hot months, taking an edge off of them, and then reverse and expend the stored energy as light and heat in the months of Cold.

The worst part was forming the physical pieces, flying them up was easy, but forming the glass and crystal and quartz and unique metallic alloys had to come from what he mined and his meagre hoard. It would be a divine treasure when completed, though. A symbol of his munificent benevolence. The Yiplings would like it as well.

Yalag frowned after he finished welding the core with dragonfire. His feelings for the Yiplings were greater than he had ever felt for his minions before. Especially kobolds. He attempted to push the thought out of his mind, and threw himself back into his work of the Eye of Yalag.

Building the Eye of Yalag. It is to store light and heat during the “Heat” and release it during the “Cold”. In this way Yalag means to make his lands more temperate to prepare it for future biodiversity’s thrival.

Using Innovation +2 and Dragon +2 plus a Bonus Die for sheer magical serendipity.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Greenlord and Graelsma....a Conversation

<iantho> Iantho travels to the edge ot the territory of the Tislaren and looks out at the earth beyond
<Gralesma> Gralesma ventured through the earth, sensing the ritual ending, and the blessed rain from the heaven slowing down. she went to the edge, sensing the new tribe close, and formed herself in front of the Greenlord. "You came Iantho. The year is over. Both our children flourish. Life spreads. That is good."
<iantho> "I came, as I promised I would come."
<Gralesma> "Good. Once more, the union of rain and earth will bring fertility and life." She paused a moment. "You have created a magic to work against mine. Why?"
<iantho> His eyes flash. "I value life and creation. Why do you create a magic to destroy?"
<iantho> "Have the people of this world not suffered enough that you would break down what they build?"
<Gralesma> "I do not destroy. I heal. When Living, Fertile Earth will be killed into Dead Matter, I turn it once more into live-giving earth. It is to prevent their suffering I create this magic. It is to prevent what happened before from happening again."
<iantho> Iantho's ear twitches, and a shudder runs down his flank. "Is that what you think? Do you know what happened before? Can you tell me?"
<Gralesma> "I do not know exact. But you know I found Killed Earth and Death Water. You know more than I what these things do. Those who used it blighted the earth."
<iantho> "What you have done has gone beyond that. What you have done may have doomed the people of this world."
<Gralesma> "Explain."
<iantho> Iantho closes his eyes, and ripples. When he opens them again, Gralesma sees, or at least, senses, and old, imperious looking man, facing her
<iantho> The deer that Iantho once was is gone
<iantho> He reaches out and grabs some pieces of long grass
* Gralesma doesn't react, plump earthen face inscrutable
<iantho> Dextrously, he weaves them together, tying the pieces together, weaving them in and out among themselves
<iantho> "See what I have made? If I keep doing so, I make a net"
<iantho> He then takes another piece of grass, bends and shifts it into a loop
<iantho> "See, a snare."
<Gralesma> Yes. But in time the net will rot and feed the earth once again.
<iantho> "With the snare and the net, the people can catch food to keep them alive."
<iantho> He waves his hands, and in the air are visions of tents, huts, houses and walls
<iantho> "They can build out of the grass and the stone to shelter themselves"
<iantho> More visions, strange and unusual, of villages, towns, and cities, men and women in fine clothing, then ships sailing the ocean, and even stranger things...things of metal that move on their own power.
<iantho> "They can make clothing for rainment, and transportation so they are not bound to one place"
<iantho> "Now, the people here are trapped, barely enough food to survive, spending each day desperately not to die."
<iantho> "With technology" (He speaks the word, strange to Graelsma, carefully) "they can grow, they can prosper, they need not live in fear."
<iantho> "But your magic would destroy this."
<epicurius> The image changes to that of stone houses crumbling, of clay pots full of liquid melting down into the earth, spilling their contents, of castles collapsing
<Gralesma> Gralesma does not do illusions, but the earth moves into 'sandcastles' crumbling into dust, with life sprouting over the ruins
<Gralesma> You have experience with this technology, Greenlord. Tell me then. When you were last with those who used this technology, were they fertile and healthy?
<iantho> He stops, and his face goes blank, and images flash before his eyes of the germ bomb in Slivili Radek; the faces of the dying children and the nuclear retaliation by the Southern Commonwealth and the destruction of Yamak.
<iantho> "Do what you will. I have no authority over your actions. But know that if you continue on this path, you will make an enemy of me." Then he turns and begins to walk away
<Gralesma> "Hold. Iantho. Please. I do not wish to make an enemy." Sympathy, an alien sensation to the often callous Mother Goddess is in her voice. "I regret awakening those memories."
<iantho> "What woud you have me do, Gralesma? I will, in the end, do as I see best for my people."
<Gralesma> "You will. And I will. And we will clash. As Earth and Water must. As Predator and Prey Must. As Man and Woman must. But only Death is the Enemy. I wish to offer life a different path then technology. Magic, communion with life, strenghtening of bonds to it, rather than breaking them. Let us clash then, in ways that do not hurt our people. If after that, you still believe your technology is
<Gralesma> their salvation, you will always think that. But I propose that each year, we have a contest. You as the Father of Rain against me, the Mother of Earth. You will try to fill me to satiation, so that this valley will be a lake. I will drink take all you have to offer and absorb it, turning it into life. He who loses, weakens his magic for one year. No rage, no war, no blame. The one who loses,
<Gralesma> gathers his strength for next year.
<iantho> "And our followers? How will they respond to this?"
<Gralesma> "We can hide it form them. Or we can tell them. I have offered to have each of us be able to spread our blessing more fully to each other. In doing so, I can see what this 'technology' of you will do up close, and you can see the alternatives that are offered."
<Gralesma> Gralesma changes, from a pregnant woman to a pregnant doe, though still made of earth. "And we can adapt;"
<iantho> Iantho changes back into a deer. "We can adapt."
<Gralesma> "I would make less demands of your people. They are few, while the goblins are many. But for offers of blood or sacrificed food, I could bring fertility and health, and make Earth more kind and welcoming. You could help my tribes as well. And I would not seek to destroy anything made of Dead Earth among the Tislaren, and you would not have the goblins build anything of Dead Earth." The Earthen
<Gralesma> doe circles Iantho. "I admire the Bow. It is wood, guts and bone. If that too is technology, it is not technology I object to, and my magic does not destroy it."
<iantho> Iantho blinks, and a silver necklace appears around his neck. "And do you object to this, which does no harm but only provides beauty?"
<Gralesma> Gralesma looks at it. "I do not see any beauty in it. It is dead metal. I do not approve of the Earth being broken up, and Stone being melted to produce something like this. But the ore it comes from would not carry life, so even if my magic would als work against it, I do not think it dangerous."
<iantho> "And this?", he nods, and a plow appears in front of him. "See, the blade is metal, and it cuts through the earth, splitting the soil, but with it, a farmer might sow seed and make plants grow where and how he would"
* Gralesma shakes her head. "No. That is offensive to me. The Ore is drawn out from me, melted with the Wood that I fed, and then used to slice me open, seeking to force the bounty from me. If you wish to teach your children, I will not support it, but they are yours first. But do not teach my children such."
<Gralesma> Gralesma shakes her head. "No. That is offensive to me. The Ore is drawn out from me, melted with the Wood that I fed, and then used to slice me open, seeking to force the bounty from me. If you wish to teach your children, I will not support it, but they are yours first. But do not teach my children such."
<iantho> "As you wish." But Iantho, in his deepest thoughts, is rueful, as he thinks about technology, and how it spreads, in spite of itself, and how those who choose not to accept it are overwhelmed."
<iantho> (No end quotation mark should be there)
<Gralesma> "So. For this month, as Water and Earth, male and female mix, we test our strength. And next month, we present each other as equal, Both mate and rival, to each other's people.
<Gralesma> 'And we will explain why one of our magic will be weaker for a year."
<iantho> "Let it be as you say."
<Gralesma> Gralesma takes the silver necklace, and raises a stone dais. "If the rain comes high enough to wash away this thing, I will yield, and the magic to break technology I made, I will weaken. If it remains here in one month, you will yield, and you will weaken yours."
<iantho> "That high? Very well. We will do this, for this year, at least. We shall see about next year."
<iantho> "But I do warn you. Your goblins may devour each other. But if they harm the Tislaren...."
<Gralesma> "Hmmm, that is something we had to speak of. Life feeds on life. The goblins will at some point prey on them. But strenght is born from adversity. Your Tislaren are few, but they are clever. Can they not withstand the goblins, and become stronger through it?" The Earth Mother tested the waters. "I can refuse the sacrifice and forbid the slaying of children and women, but the goblins are hunters.
<Gralesma> Is it not wise to test your Tislaren on them, whoI can always recall if they threaten to extinguish, than to have them be tested in a fight against a God's people who might want them destroyed?"
<iantho> "The Tislaren are few, they live a long time, and they have few children. For one Tislaren to die harms the race more than the death of a thousand goblins. They hold life precious."
<Gralesma> "There are not yet a thousand goblins. I will give you this. But I think it unwise. One day, the Tislaren will strive against another who will not hold back. Because their life is precious, you should prepare it to defend itself." Gralesma seemed honestly befuddled by Iantho's refusal. "I will refuse all Tislaren sacrifices then. But I do not seek to command the goblins in every little thing
<Gralesma> they do. When one is hungry, one hunts."
<iantho> "As I said, do what you will. I do not seek to order you to do anything. But if the goblins attack the Tislaren, the Tislaren will respond."
<iantho> "But peace is better than war, non-violence better than violence, and cooperation better than competition."
<iantho> "But take whatever sacrifices you desire. I would not refuse that of you."
<Gralesma> "That is natural. I would advise it. If the goblins find that to steal or take fro mthe Tislaren is deadly, they will not do it. Perhaps they will indeed seek to trade." He ponders. "I will not refuse all Tislaren. My goblins would not understand that. But the Tislaren will soon be my children too. I will forbid them from sacrificing the immature and the pregnant women."
<iantho> "Goodbye, Graelsma. We will meet soon for our contest."
<Gralesma> "I will be there. Greenlord. "

And with that, they parted.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Gralesma
0 BD

Gralesma sunk deep in the earth, spreading her awareness far throughout it. She touched each plant, slowly recovering from the passing cold. Soon, the heat would come and dry them out. But before then, they would be given a bounty by Gralesma and Iantho, as they had been given last year. However, she did more than simply feed and birth this day. She would face a challenge. Her attention was on one small valley on the border between the Tislaren and goblins, where a single silver necklace laid on a stone.

It was a primal test of elements. The bounty of the rain in the sky against the thirst of the earth. She would absorb all the life giving flood he could bring, and turn it into new life faster than he could supply it. At stake? In the struggle between the old ways of technology, and her new path of magic, the loser would weaken the magic they had created in the last months for duration of a year.

All right. Making a proposal. Hikaizer can say that some things need an extra month to happen. This would be an action in concert with Iantho, the Greenlord.
1: A renewal of the Blessing of Rain and Fertility Earth +2, Fertility [+2] and Magic [+2] all seem relevant.
2: A contest between Iantho and Gralesma as part of this. It's very much supposed to be an equal, 50/50 shot. Earth[+2] and Fertility[+2] might both apply, but I will not use more or less domains than Iantho does.
3: The loser of said contest will voluntarily weaken their technolgy magic. Either Gralesma's tech-destroying one, or Iantho's tech-preserving one, for duration of one year. This is supposed to then become a yearly thing Gralesma and Iantho do. Magic [+2] would apply.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tevas - 1 BD

Tevas took note of the skill of the plant-faithful at the plant lore teaching he had given to the Faithful, and was pleased with their progress and the progress of the Faithful as a whole. However, it did highlight the Faithful's inability to create material other than wood and plant-life, and living in the area around the World Tree would make mining and quarrying difficult. However, Tevas saw that the Faithful already possessed all of the foundations of a solution to this problem, they merely needed guidance.

So it was that he reminded them of the plant-magic they had gained when they had made Faithful. He then showed them how to focus it with prayers and religious rituals that when combined with the correct alchemical formulas would allow them to affect the physical nature of plant-matter. Making it harder or softer, more or less resistant to heat or acid, among other things. It would open the door for them to put the abundant plant-life around them to new uses, and help to compensate for the lack of other materials.

Tevas is teaching the Faithful how to combine their plant-magic and their skills in alchemy to alter the physical properties of plant-matter such as hardness, heat conductivity, burn point, opacity, etc. Plants[+2] to teach them to properly use their plant-magic and Alchemy[+2] for the alchemy. Also, as is Tevas' want he's definitely framing it in a religious sense, so expect a lot of the focusing of the plant-magic to require prayers or rituals with religious overtones.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rooh-Va
0/2 BD

Log Y3WanC - From Intense Heat. Strong Steel

>The books are in production?
"Yes Low King"
>You have received the new tomes?
"Yes Low King, what is 'Eei-Lekt -Tresity?'
>In due time, in due time, I have plans. Big plans.

The Smiths of Dhuum looked at the large sheet laid out in front of them, it seemed to be a picture of the mountain, but the plans seemed to be. Rooms, lots of rooms, rooms that seem to be holding large machines.

>As we are right now, I estimate that with our current rate of population expansion and consumption, we will have a 99.9% chance to survive through the next few years.
>But. To just survive, living conservatively with this abundance day to day is, sub-optimally minimalist. In the long run, if we are as we are currently, years down the line what good would we have done?
>Therefore I propose, a long term plan of expansion. This mountain used to hold old facilities, we can make use of them, we can move most of our industry from the surface into the mountains themselves
>Floors and floors and smiths and artificers, producing goods and advancing our technology.
>These mountain ranges are almost completely unoccupied, we have much room for expansion and much opportunity to ensure that we may feed ourselves, and and future industries.
"For what purpose?"
>To thrive Volknar. Just surviving will not undo the damage done to this planet, working just to live won't let you grow as a species.
>So we will take the chance to strive and thrive whilst we are in abundance. We will delve these depths, we will creatre, we will expand. We will, prosper.
>And I intend to start, very soon. There is only one thing, what do we name this new settlement

There was a moment of silence

"Molton Core?"
>Yes... That will do.
---

I might as well slot this whilst the going is good, this is not really an action of sorts, it's more of a Project. Are there any rules for something like that?

The plan is to expand our shelter hovel into an underground settlement. A really big one, i'm taking opportunity to become dwarfy and what better way to do it then hollowing out a mountain to be a capital city, and then expand into the mountain range if need be. Workshops, foundries, artificers, put it into the earth ramp up the scale and kick it into mass production. It won't reach that stage yet of course but this is something for time skip territory, when populations will balloon, further advancements will be made, and hopefully we can get a good trade route going with our one current neighbor. And hopefully whilst encountering other neighbors in the process

We start with little steps so of course, [+2] Earth and [+2] Artifice, what will all the digging into the rock and shoring up the rooms with supports and such, throw those successes into the pool and let's see where it goes from there. [-2]Solar Powered shouldn't apply because this isn't a one off action, this is going to be the start of a long term action.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

T'l-Dohgull
1 Bonus Die

Returning from the final guardian T'l-Dohgull felt.... tired. Not physically, but metaphysically. The last year had taken much from him and he felt empty now, as though he had poured his energy into these vessels and left none inside of himself. This was worrisome for several reasons. It meant there were limits to what he could do. It meant that those who harnessed their power more efficiently might be able to harm him. It meant that his own people, if they ever found him, might prevail. He needed to recharge; not just recharge, but grow beyond what he was now. He felt that this would happen naturally given time. He could feel flickers of the energy whenever a glypt passed by his sigils or spoke of him. But there may be a way to speed up the process...

So one afternoon he climbs the Terrace, stands at the top, and looks down upon his subjects. They are all there--it has been made clear that attendance is compulsory. The glypts shiver as a cold wind comes in from the south; with a wave of his hand, their leader cuts it off.

"I have given you much," he shouts down to the crowd. "I have given you a home where you had none; your tired feet now have a place to rest. I have given you abundant food where you had none; your bellies no longer growl. I have given you water where you had none; now your snouts do not crack in the heat and your children do not die at your teat. And I have asked little in return but service--service which benefits you, which gathers your water, which plants your food, which carves out your homes. But now I ask for something: your praise. Your exultation, your voices, shouting my name. In two weeks time we shall hold a Gathering in which you celebrate me with stories, honor me with songs. But this is not for me alone! There shall be rewards for your faith. A boon! I shall give that which it is in my power to grant to the glypt that thanks me the most--that truly believes that I have saved your people, and lifted them up!"

No roll here. We gon' have us a party!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Greenlord

So there it was. Iantho found himself stuck in this "competition" with the insane earth goddess. She would, if she had her way, doom the people of this world to savagery and barbarism, forced to live short, unhappy lives. But, for good or for ill, his fate was bound up with hers. For now, at least. Very well, she wanted rain, he would give her rain. He lifts his head up to the sky, and lightning flashes between his antlers. Oh, yes, there would be rain.

Making it rain! Engaging in this ritual/competition. [b]Weather +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Prototype T and the Annes. Bonus Dice: 3

It was good to have neighbors again. But Big T definitely didn't want to spend all his days ferrying his small handlers up and down the river. Big T's small brain meant he wasn't often sure, but he was quite sure that he didn't want to be turned into some sort of carnival ride or bus. The Annies needed some way to travel faster. Some sort of horse perhaps? Big T mulled it over as he ambled slowly back upriver. He saw how sparse and dead the land was, and the contrast between the wasteland and the teeming life of the river stunned even Big T's tiny brain. He realized that the Annies needed not just transportation, but water transportation. Perhaps he should make some sort of sea... horse. Looking down into the blood red waters of his increasingly divine spawning waterfall pool he picked out the largest and most powerful of the small animals swimming within and urged them to grow and grow and grow to suit his need.

Making water mounts for the Annies. They should be strong, fast, and capable of very long trips. If they're aggressive or even violent that's a plus since the Annies will be controlling them via telepathy and they can help protect my peaceful people. Long term I'm hoping to move the Annies out into the ocean on these things' backs.
King of Beasts +2
Growth +2
Deformed -2 - they're gonna be ugly suckers, of course
Telepathy +2 - I think the Annies telepathy applies here since they'll be able to dominate the animal's minds to tame them into mounts
I'm going to use a bonus die on this too.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Florencia
0bd

It was good to be home, especially since it sounded like the worst of storm season was raging outside. Florencia calls the tribe together;

"It has been a...interesting experience, since I was gone. As I think I told you, unless I forgot to, in which case I didn't, there are other gods on this planet, and while I was away, I met a Gaia mind, that's the mind of the planet. This one's is old and sick and weak, it needs our help." She pauses for emphasis, aeons of experience giving plenty of time to practice dramatic pauses and timing. "There is also the other matter it brought up to me and that's about your current state. I realize I may have ah, standardized you all, and peer pressured the gently caress out of you if you didn't go along with it at first. I'd like to take this time to offer that if any of you want to go back on the whole "crystalline lavarock person" thing I'm more than happy to try, but you're going to have to remind me what you looked like exactly since I'm gonna have to ablib it."

"Next thing! Those of you that don't, the lavatubes beneath this place link the entire world. Its time we explored it and started uh. Well poo poo, started looting, harvesting, mapping, etc, whats on the other side of the exits." Blank stares. Florencia pops one of the remaining fireseeds she brought and belches a small inferno across the room. "Well?! Either come here so I can fix the booboo or go outside and play, its nice out there."

Whoop, time to undo things and keep the ball rolling. [Fire+2], [Growth+2] and a bonus die to uh, try to undo that thing I did to them if they don't want it anymore and also to send out the rest to go explore and scavenge now that the world now that whatever our equivalent to spring is just around the corner.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 9, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Year 4
The end of the Cold, beginning of the Heat.

Ongoing effects:
Warp Trees - Ready
Blessing of rain and fertility - Iantho and Graselma - Renewed
Trial of the Plant Faithful - Finished

Projects:

Rooh-Vah - Molton Core - Establishment and development of Steel-Men capital settlement.
Graselma and Iantho - Contest - Victor for year 4: Iantho

Yalag

The gem was physically perfect, but its nature still held one flaw. Once it reached a maximum capacity of heat it would release it all in one burst. Yalag foresaw a future where it was not carefully watched and it turned a desert into glass as far as the eye could see. Some nearby Kobolds shuddered, not knowing why. The gem would need to be carefully kept from reaching the critical energy point lest it release its heat violently. Moving it around, using magic to cool it down (as some few Kobolds had basic ice magic) could work, and they Yiplings would no doubt be able to conceive of some sort of complicated mechanism to manage it in time as well to make it less manual.

At least Yalag himself did not need to fear the eye, for as it was made of his power even its fiercest might would not touch him.

You managed to roll TRIPLE ones. Which is pretty bad luck have a free Bonus Dice for that.

The Greenlord and Graelsma

It was a tough contest. While Graselma brough more power to bear, perhaps because of her more primal nature, or of her increased worship base from the fecund goblin tribes it was matched by Iantho with cunning and strategic use. Graselma tried to be everywhere in the valley at once, an all encompassing and for constant presence. The Greenlord on the other hand was more ephemeral, opening clouds in the sky to bathe the parched land in rain until it could drink no more. Then he would wait a day or two and move to another place nearby. Water seeped through the parched earth slowly quenching its first and letting it begin verdant growth. Both the seeds of life and rain were needed, neither component complete with its matching partner. In the end both could see that Iantho had won, but only just. Graselma could feel that the superiority of the ways of technology and sophistication over living in unity with the earth and nurturing its bounty instead of rapaciously reaping it was not great. Iantho could tell that the primal power of the lifestyle that Graselma tried to engender in her people and was spreading was not slight as well.

This year is Iantho's victory. But slimly.

Tevas

While the Faithful took to the new applications of their existing powers, and integrating the newer art of alchemy, the element of their learning and preparation that took the most time was learning the litany of Tevas. Each verse carefully outlined a virtue or aspect of Tevas and how they related to the various plants of the world. Although the litany was not actually a component of doing any of the magic or alchemy the Faithful began to explore with, it was considered to by them (with no small amount of assistance from Tevas) to be the most integral part of it that tied everything together. Given that there was no immediate danger and the season was still mild, Tevas could afford himself and the Faithful the luxury of a few weeks to focus more on the theology behind the lessons than the lessons themselves.

Success, although there's a slight delay due to an emphasis on the religious aspects over the practical ones.

Rooh-Vah

One of the first things you had the Steel-Men work on, was making sure that they made some glass covered rooms near the surface of the mountain. With many slits and vents there would be sunlight in them for people to go and rest in. Then there were warehouses for food to be made and other basic structures. Not many actual workshops and other structures were made until later, and even then they were still fairly empty for while the steel-men had tools and a forge, they still lacked machines and other complicated things. Partway during the third week a group of Glypts arrived and suddenly reminded the Steel-Men of the need to build some quarters for guests as well. The larger structures outside were a little too open to the elements for the Glypts to find comfort in.

Success, work begins but it is mostly basic living needs instead of workshops and other stuff.

T'l-Dohgull

While not exactly a dour people, life had been hard for everyone in the world and the Glypts had forgotten what a proper celebration was like. Having a chance to unwind, to let off some steam and to relax was good for the morale of them.Things needed to be done and there was not the luxury to let the farms go for too long, but a day or two of rest and celebration now and then was good for the soul. The Glypts felt refreshed through the month and felt better equipped to deal with the coming weeks of the worst of the Heart.

I did a check in the background, and you did alright so the Glypts will get a small bonus on their next tribe action.

Prototype T

The giant cyborg terror sure knew what he wanted the seahorses to look like, but he wasn't sure if the writhing mass of tentacles they used to swim through the water as actually in his original concept. They could even slowly slither across land in a terrifying, slow exodus if they needed to and were directed. Clearly the creatures preferred being in the water even if they were technically amphibious. As always though their appearance did not perturb the Annes in the slightest and they began testing out with their new beasts. There wasn't really a lot for them to do right now, so the Annes mostly let them eat, play and do what they wanted aside from the few times they needed a ride down stream and back.

Success, your seahorses are a little...eldritch though shall we say.

Florencia

Your people had a lot to tell you when you came back. Apparently some people from different groups and races had come and begun trading with them while you were gone. There was not exactly a lot to trade yet, but there seemed to be some cultural exchange going on at least. They seemed to be very pleased by it.

For the most part the majority of your people had become used to their new forms and considering their home was volcanic, being able to survive the heat and pressure of lava and magma was a useful trait. A few of them were happy to return to their original forms though and they began to move back to the outer ring where it was less volcanic. Additionally while the fire-people weren't always hot or enflamed, there was a perception that the flame imbued people of your tribe did not make good followers Probably it was a somewhat illogical holdover instinct from their older forms. But those that had returned to their previous forms seemed happy to pick up that area.

But there were a few quite happy to go beyond their lands and explore, one accompanied by one of the flamebirds, which apparently were incredibly foul tempered creatures. There was also the large volcanic-ish guy who was very patiently waiting for you to notice him and...maybe give him so more direction? You had no idea actually. He was waiting for something regardless of what it was.

And as Florencia reflected on her time away, she realised her power had changed just as she had...

Success, although you can have your Bonus Dice back as you rolled well!'

Additionally pick one of the following:

Animals [+2]
Freedom [+2]
Travel [+2]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tevas - 1BD

Tevas was greatly pleased by the eagerness of the Faithful in learning his litany, though he was not surprised, for ever since they had drunken of the Holy Water and became Faithful they sought his favor in all things. He luxuriated in their devotion, and decided that it was time to reward them for their faith, for the Faithful had taken his efforts to make his religion central to every aspect and facet of their lives to heart. So, during the weekly day of worship, when the Faithful set aside their labors to gather in prayer and devotion to him, Tevas set himself to the task. Pouring all of his power he drew forth a series of great plants from the ground. Each beginning to take shape as a living building, with enough space to house the Faithful a dozen times over, and each connected to each other. In each of these buildings, the Faithful would find the air to be temperate, warm during the Cold and cool during the Heat. For Tevas designed the plants to follow seasonal patterns and designed their chemicals to alchemically react within the walls of the plant-buildings to miraculously maintain the temperature year round. In addition, each of these buildings would have numerous sources of clean running water, sustainably drawn from the ground through the plants roots, and collected via their leaves and stems. The Faithful through their inherent magic would be able to stop and start the flows of water by shaping the plants that served as its font in each room. The rooms themselves were unembellished, Tevas would leave it to the Faithful to decide how to decorate them, although his expectations though unspoken were obvious.

In the center of this growing complex was the largest and most magnificent of the plant-buildings. Rather than group housing like the other buildings this was a grand temple to Tevas. It contained many rooms, as well as a gathering place for the Faithful to worship their god who would seat himself on a living throne crowned with beauteous flowers of many colors. To the side of this throne stood a special font, for the water that flowed from it was not normal water. Rather, it was the same Holy Water that transformed the Vaikai into the Faithful, so that the Faithful might baptize their offspring and other converts into the Faith.

All in all, it was meant to be a place of comfort and rest for the Faithful, and it was large enough to allow the tribe to greatly expand before they started to crowd it. Of course, it also had a second purpose. It would stand as grand symbol of Tevas' glory and the blessings that came from devoting oneself to him, its miraculous nature an ever present reminder to the Faithful of their god.

Once the work was done, Tevas would show the Faithful inside of it, and carefully watch their response.

Creating a linked complex of living-plant buildings with a big temple at the center. Using Plants[+2] to grow and shape the buildings, Water[+2] to provide running water to each group of rooms, including a font in the temple that supplies the faith-inducing Holy Water, and Alchemy[+2] to arrange it so that the plant's natural chemicals keep the rooms themselves cool during the Heat and warm during the Cold. Spending a bonus die to ensure that the end result is as awe-inspiring as possible.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Prototype T and the Annes. Bonus Dice: 2

It would one day be known as the Great Migration. At their god-beast's urging the majority of the Annies packed up their meager belongings on the be-tentacled sea-horses and followed Prototype T down river. As they went, the Great Tyrannosaur would roar to terrify the large fish. The sudden spike of the fishies thoughts and emotions made them more obvious to the telepathic Annies. Then the Annies would bend the fish's minds into swimming close enough to be captured and eaten. The further they traveled, the softer Prototype T roared, the less the fish were scared and the more attentive the Annies had to be. In this fashion Prototype T tried to teach the Annies to hunt what fish as they rode their beasts down the river and out into the vast expanse of the Ocean.

Leading most of my population into the Ocean on Sea-Horse back. Gonna go exploring. Do a little Trading maybe, maybe make a home for them in the ocean.
King of Beasts +2: teaching hunting
Telepathy +2 from the Annies: The Annies control their prey's minds and so don't so much hunt by mind controlling prey species and forcing them to walk close enough to be easily slain.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Gralesma 0BD

She had lost the contest. Her land had overflown. And so the magic she had given was weakened. But in a year's time, she would struggle again. She didn't understand the other god, but that was not a problem. Things are as they are, deal with them, don't try to understand them. She and Iantho would struggle over it even as they brought forth more life. There was no conflict in this. Life comes from struggle. Life is struggle.

And yet, now was the second part of their talk. For a year now, they had traded assistance. Yet hid from each others children. That was not pleasing. She was a goddess of life, ever pregnant, ever fertile. It would be good to have a depiction of the male counterpart for her Goblin tribes. While the Tislaren could learn some reverence for the earth that grew their bounty, and not simply for the rain that fed it. Travelling easily through the trees, Gralesma watched them, and saw things that puzzled her. Tislaren dug up plants from the earth, tossing them aside, unused, like garbage. yet then she saw they carefully placed seeds in the ground. And it soon became clear what they did.

At first, the goddess was displeased. Rather than simply sup on the life the Earth gave, these Tislaren sought to dictate what was grown? They overstepped their bounds!

But she stayed her wrath, and noticed the care with which the new plants were given. No, this was fine. The struggle of life can have alliances. And so, these seeds thrived, at the cost of the other plants' demise. She saw how their hands were caked with living earth, and she found something pleasing in their soil. Yet, she noticed that the woman was fully mature, but she was not with child, and she did not suckle a child, and she did not seem to have ever borne a child. And Gralesma knew that it was good that she had come.

So she came from the Earth in the shape she had shown to Iantho. Coming out of the forest line was a doe, heavily pregnant visibly made out of the fertile earth. Her muzzle was discolored with dried blood, but she spoke with a female voice. '"Do not fear, Tislaren. I am the Soilmother. The Greenlord is the Life that comes from above, I am the Life that comes from below. I am sometimes his mate, sometimes his rival. I can do what he cannot, and I cannot do what he can. "

She looked at the woman. "You work to feed you and your mate, but without a child, it is pouring water on barren soil. It is Death approaching Life from behind. Know that I offer aid. But the Earth is not as generous as the Rain. There's a cost to pay. I will bless your womb, and your mate's seed will bring forth new life. But you will sacrifice to me. One the next night you couple, you will make a mix of Earth from your farm and as much of your blood as it takes to fill your mate's cupped hands, and as much from his as it takes to fill yours. You will mix it, and then you will draw a circle in the living earth. There you will lay with another, and you will be with child."

It was the first of the Tislaren Gralesma was to make that offer, but it would not be the last one that month.

You get a baby, and you get a baby, everybody gets a baby! Gralesma is going to introduce herself to the Tislaren by offering them all some magical fertility rites. Fertility +2 is very relevant, as is Magic +2 because it involves them enacting a rite? Earth +2 I'd say as a maybe because it is involved, but only tangentially. I'll let you be the judge of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Rooh-Va
0/2 BD

Log Y3WanC - Living Arrangements and Reading Brass

>Our trade partners from the Glypts arrived, followed by the pressing need for above ground quarters
>They were provided shortly after I became aware of course, I am a very speedy builder.
>Once they were settled I put what we had been working on to the test, by providing the 'books' for the consideration of the Glypths.
>A temporary forge was set up fit to their, specifications of 3 clawed paws and not being able to just reach into the forge to manipulate the metal.
>And now, I observe. And maybe lean in to provide some assistance if need be.

No need to roll for building shelter I feel, a few Steel-Folk and some godly assisstance and comfortable temporary living quarters could be built before the hour is out. More permanent ones will be built on the surface levels at a later point.

But in the mean time, we have education to attend to. The books have been made and now it's time to test, we teach the language, and then we try to teach the craft through them, lending a helping hand when needed, though I imagine most of the Glypths sent have a basic idea of how smiting works, since they can do stuff with Bronze. Rooh-Vah won't try to get directly involved, after all if the books can't help get the reader started without someone else leaning in and doing stuff for them then there wouldn't be much point in the exercise, but since it is something that was made and enchanted for that specific purpose, [+2] Artifice could be comfortably added to the roll I think.

As a side note, Rooh-Vah will probably also be inquiring about the possibility of other sapient species living near the Glypths, and if maybe possibly they wouldn't perhaps mind taking some of these books back and then spreading them any other near by tribes if that wouldn't be a trouble thank you very much. I mean we would do it ourselves we would but our hands are otherwise tied and your people seem more mobile. And also if any feedback could reach his audio sensors that would be appreciated, cheers guv'ner.

• Locked thread