Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Elderly Schwarzenegger getting shoehorned into this is really giving me the vibe that they are just going to churn this out without effort to cash in on nostalgia bucks (again).

Edit: Well effort is a bit unfair to the actual craftsmen who will work on this, but overall it looks to me like quality is not a priority. Still I can hope, IMO T2 is the best action movie ever and I even liked t3 somewhat and thought its biggest problem was being a follow up to the best of the best and really just being sorta generic (salvation can die in a fire).

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Since I don't give a whit about canonicity or hyperbolic vitriol, there's nothing in this post for me to glom on to.

The absolute staggering irony.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm not known for employing either of those things.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There isn't a jump the shark moment in T4 as its component parts collectively jumps the shark. The movie doesn't come down until the end credits leaving a "What the hell was that?!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubckx7X2Nd4

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Axetrain posted:

Elderly Schwarzenegger getting shoehorned into this is really giving me the vibe that they are just going to churn this out without effort to cash in on nostalgia bucks (again).

Edit: Well effort is a bit unfair to the actual craftsmen who will work on this, but overall it looks to me like quality is not a priority. Still I can hope, IMO T2 is the best action movie ever and I even liked t3 somewhat and thought its biggest problem was being a follow up to the best of the best and really just being sorta generic (salvation can die in a fire).

Honestly, if the film is just some vehicle to get Arnold back playing the role that made him famous, I'd support it for that. The dude probably loves it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

oohhboy posted:

There isn't a jump the shark moment in T4 as its component parts collectively jumps the shark. The movie doesn't come down until the end credits leaving a "What the hell was that?!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubckx7X2Nd4

That is pretty much it, yeah. As I mentioned before, it took me a solid minute after leaving the theater before I realized just how lovely what I'd just seen was. It really was a weird experience.

At the risk of turning this into an SMG bitch thread, is it funny that I assume SMG is probably a big fan of Worker and Parasite for its innovative visuals and bold stylistic choices? It is so different after all.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

This is giving me some Terminator heaven vibes here.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the only thing is we get new Arnoldisms something good came out of it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ok so maybe something that can give us hope is seeing what the director and writers have done so far. Like I have some hope for the new Star Wars because Lawrence Kasdan is writing it with JJ Abrams. It still might suck but I have hope.

So Alan Taylor, director. Last thing he directed was the fairly boring but not entirely hateable Thor sequel. And by boring I mean that movie was so forgettable that I was a half hour into my second viewing before I realized that I'd seen it already.

But looking down his resume there's a shitload of good stuff, mostly HBO shows. 9 episodes of the Sopranos. 6 episodes of Game of Thrones. Nurse Jackie, Lost, Deadwood, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, The West Wing... Okay some seriously well respected material here, but all of it TV. I'll give him some cautious hope.

Next, Laeta Kalogridis, co-writer. Shutter Island, I thought was predictable but okay it's Scorsese. Pathfinder? Low budget but pretty fun, and I love Karl Urban. Alexander? Nightwatch? Those have some credibility. The Bionic Woman reboot? Oh Jesus Christ.

Patrick Lussier, co-writer. Wrote Dracula 2000, two sequels I never knew existed, and Drive Angry. Sigh.

Yeah this movie's probably going to be either really great due to being so totally campy and stupid that you love it in spite of itself, or it's just going to flat out suck.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's the best thing to come out of Salvation.

Oh, and the third best Terminator movie is definitely Wayne's World.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Christ what an rear end in a top hat. :D This was the movie where that weird "I'M A PROFESSIONAL!" rant happened too isn't it?

Bale wanting a bigger role wasn't all that happened. The other thing was that they got spooked by negative reaction to spoilers that got out, and ran away from those ideas.

http://www.chud.com/19577/exclusive-what-went-wrong-with-terminator-salvation/

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
By the end, for me, Salvation just didn't feel like a 'Terminator' film. It sort of felt more like deserted post-apoc landscape and sci-fi elements it could have been just as easily called "Fallout: Salvation".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What does SMG think of Terminator 3, then?

Do we need to ruin every thread on CD?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vaall posted:

It was a mixture of the models and CGI by the same company just like T2 only better. Obviously you didn't watch the special features or that video. The argument was that all these were entirely digital which is false.

I've watched the special features for T3 more times than you probably ever did. Commentaries too.

However, what matters is what's on screen, and there wasn't much practical effects on screen when it came to the main robots. They either redid it later, or they never did it in the first place. I have no idea.

Just because they made a TX robot, doesn't mean it's in the movie. (It is, I know, but only for a few small moments) Just like what happened to The Thing 2011. They made a ton of practical monsters for the film, and all of them were replaced.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

LloydDobler posted:

From my limited reading on the development of T4 I believe Christian Bale singlehandedly ruined it by inserting himself in the John Connor role and making it a large part of the movie.

How come established actors feel the need to do things like that? Karl Urban really did a solid one for not having an ounce of ego in Dredd.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

My favorite part of Terminator 3 was cut from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think salvation would have been better if it had not had sam worthington's part and focused on connor in the future war.

Also the parts with Michael Ironside owns.

But the fact they went ahead with T3 and its ending was a great continuation of the story line. Now we have this reboot crap that will be nothing but nostalgic redo's of terminator 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I've watched the special features for T3 more times than you probably ever did. Commentaries too.

That's an odd thing to be proud of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sylink posted:

I think salvation would have been better if it had not had sam worthington's part and focused on connor in the future war.

That's one of its obvious flaws. That's really the only story anyone wanted to see with a Terminator sequel, especially since T3 didn't really leave anything else. Yet instead the script originally barely had John in it at all, and focused entirely on this stupid, stupid story of a human Terminator.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Axetrain posted:

So how bad is Genisys gonna be?
Chalk me up for "cautiously optimistic" as well. The guy playing John Connor does nothing for me in the trailer, but the whole "The timeline is corrupted/different" angle could really work if they do it right.

(Then again, I remember that the trailers for Salvation looked good at the time, so who knows?)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The directors cut of Salvation is about 40 seconds longer than the theatrical. The only additional material is what's her face getting her tits out. Of course what do you expect from a douchebag that calls himself McG?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

My favorite part of Terminator 3 was cut from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Hoollllyy gently caress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sasquatch! posted:

(Then again, I remember that the trailers for Salvation looked good at the time, so who knows?)

That original trailer was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmUpqgL1p4

Hey, a skull!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

The directors cut of Salvation is about 40 seconds longer than the theatrical. The only additional material is what's her face getting her tits out. Of course what do you expect from a douchebag that calls himself McG?

Moon Bloodgood? Say what you will about her, but that's a hard name to forget.

My favorite thing about the leaked Bale rant was probably that he does, in fact, refer to McG as McG.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

davidspackage posted:

Moon Bloodgood? Say what you will about her, but that's a hard name to forget.

My favorite thing about the leaked Bale rant was probably that he does, in fact, refer to McG as McG.

Haha, yes. Get the name right motherfucker!

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Seemlar posted:

Bale wanting a bigger role wasn't all that happened. The other thing was that they got spooked by negative reaction to spoilers that got out, and ran away from those ideas.

http://www.chud.com/19577/exclusive-what-went-wrong-with-terminator-salvation/
That totally explains why Salvation was as disjointed as it was. I remember hearing at the time that they were doing script re-writes while on set. That's not a sign of a good story. So while it sounds like the original script would've been poo poo for different reasons (it's the Will Smith "I:Robot" script), that article pretty much lays blame for what ended up in the theater on Christian Bale.

Lurdiak posted:

That original trailer was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmUpqgL1p4

Hey, a skull!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjX7FwCZa8 was a good trailer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know how you go so far off the rails as to think that these murderous killing machines just chucking people into scenery is somehow not laughable. One of these machines getting a hand on you should basically be guaranteed death through just having appropriate parts of your body crushed and smashed mercilessly. They should be industrial grinders on legs.
But whoops, if you don't create a whole stupid convoluted CAPTURED HUMANS subplot, you can't have your stupid John Conner meets Skynet moment.

T3 was not great, but at least it had a coherent plot that worked toward an actual point.

Terminator Salvation was entirely birthed out of a checklist of uncoordinated bullet point scenes that they then had to string together.

Also, gently caress Christian Bale. I don't see how any adult stands there and just listens to his childish bullshit rant. How do you not just say "Get hosed, Chris" about ten seconds into that and walk off??

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
In my view, Terminator 3 was largely mediocre. Most of the writing was on par with your average B movie, with a few bright spots more than balanced out by groan worthy moments like the expanding boobs and the star sunglasses. The acting was okay for the most part, but they didn't have much to work with. Some of the action scenes were pretty cool, and the effects work was good for the time, but it is hard to get too invested in them due to the lackluster characterization. So overall it comes across as an enjoyable but shallow summer blockbuster that had the bad luck of following on the act of Terminator 2.

Salvation was just godawful. Probably the biggest thing for me is how utterly forgettable it is. If I try really hard, I can recall a couple of different scenes and moments, but I have absolutely no memory of how they all fit together in the movie itself. The big thing that I do remember, though, is how awful Bale's John Conner was. I'm not sure if it was the writing, the acting, or the directing, but whoever was at fault it was a huge misfire in every scene. The only good bit is that part near the beginning where the soldiers discover the plans for skinned Terminators and say that things are happening "like you said they would." That suggests an interesting idea of how John's apparent knowledge of the future is perceived by others, but then the movie proceeds to do absolutely nothing with it.

davidspackage posted:

The thing with Terminator 3 I can not get over is Arnold's performance. He gets way too emotive, like he's a robot who wants to be human. The great thing about Terminator 2 is that Arnold's charm or likeability is almost entirely a reflection of what John projects on him. Aside from stuff like the final thumbs-up to throw in some ambiguity, he really is just a robot on a mission. Then T3 kind of ruins that in an attempt to follow up on that. A far more interesting take, I feel, would've been the robot firmly establishing that he's a different model than the other one and giving him a slightly different characterization.

Salvation does a similar thing with the weird Helena Bonham Carter AI who is completely emotional to a robot they themselves made.

A minor point, but T3 does explicitly state that its Arnold is a different model than T2's Arnold. Specifically, it's a T-850, not a T-800, and has additional features like a basic understanding of human psychology. Hence the line where John puts a gun to his head and Arny analyzes his body language, heartrate, etc. to determine that he probably isn't going to pull the trigger. This was actually one of the movie's few clever ideas, and it's a shame they didn't do more with it.

However, I do think the part where Arny gets reprogrammed to kill Conner and ends up fighting off the reprogramming with "heroic willpower" was dumb. This was a chance to emphasize how Terminators are just remorseless killing machines and their "loyalty" can be changed with a simple flip of a switch, but no we get tired old mind control cliches. This was something that the Sarah Conner Chronicles handled much, much better, in its Season 2 premiere.

Since the subject of personalizing Skynet came up in this thread, TSCC kinda sorta did this in its second season (at least, it showed an AI like Skynet as an actual character), and it also handled it way better than either of the movies in question. It did a really good job of presenting a complex AI character while still keeping it of a fundamentally alien nature.

But you can say that about a lot of things on the show. The series had its fair share of missteps, but the writing team had a truly impressive ability to take the dumbest ideas imaginable and somehow make them work. This is the entry in the Terminator franchise that had Kyle Reese's brother's girlfriend bring a teenage girl back in time to date teenage John Conner in order to drive a wedge between John and his hot Terminator girl bodyguard. And the payoff to that plotline was awesome.

It's a shame that show never got a third season. There are pretty strong rumors that Warner Bros. seriously considered making a direct-to-DVD movie sequel to the series, but couldn't go forward with those plans after Salvation failed, Halcyon went bankrupt, and the rights ended up with someone who wasn't interested in doing anything with TSCC. So that's another bad thing that Salvation is responsible for.

As to the new movie, I have no idea if it'll be any good or not, but based on the trailer I'm probably going to see it because at the very least it isn't going to be boring. The story seems like the best kind of crack fanfic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

INH5 posted:

However, I do think the part where Arny gets reprogrammed to kill Conner and ends up fighting off the reprogramming with "heroic willpower" was dumb. This was a chance to emphasize how Terminators are just remorseless killing machines and their "loyalty" can be changed with a simple flip of a switch, but no we get tired old mind control cliches. This was something that the Sarah Conner Chronicles handled much, much better, in its Season 2 premiere.

The part that really annoyed me about that scene is they had a fantastic way to still have that entire plotline, but end it in a way that both makes sense and is cool. You just have the Terminator dig into his own records, and display the video of himself killing John Connor in the future, fooling the reprogramming into thinking it had finished the job. You get that same moment that maybe the Terminator is actually more than just a total machine as you did with the t-2 thumbs up, but it isn't so incredibly hamfisted.

I am almost 100% certain that this is how that scene was originally written, but that it didn't test well or something so they went with the stupid plotline instead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, gently caress Christian Bale. I don't see how any adult stands there and just listens to his childish bullshit rant. How do you not just say "Get hosed, Chris" about ten seconds into that and walk off??

His rant was right and he makes millions of dollars so you have to listen to him. Basically.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

AlternateAccount posted:

Terminator Salvation was entirely birthed out of a checklist of uncoordinated bullet point scenes that they then had to string together.

All indications are that Halcyon had no idea what it was doing with the T:S production, at any level. I once read a document from their bankruptcy filing that listed the people and companies they were in debt to. The list was ten pages long, and included a cutlery company.

And it isn't like Salvation was a legendary box office bomb, though it wasn't a hit by any means. The fact that a movie basically breaking even at the box office (after you take into account marketing costs, the cut taken by the theaters, and so on) brought its entire production company down says a lot about the state of the modern film industry.

PriorMarcus posted:

His rant was right and he makes millions of dollars so you have to listen to him. Basically.

As childish as that rant was, I can't help but be impressed by how Bale's fake American accent never slips even for a second.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat I had a pretty good streak going of not remembering that McG existed. thanks thread

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I love the fight scene in Terminator 3, it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGZP-W25U

Highlights:
- Ripping a urinal from the wall and beating the T-X over the head with it
- T-X piledriver into the toilet

T3 has some regrettable bits but overall I liked it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ross posted:

T3 has some regrettable bits

Most of the dialogue.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Ross posted:

I liked the car chase scene with the crane in T3 better than the chase with the semi-truck in T2.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ross posted:

Highlights:

I especially like this fight in light of the talk about Terminator Salvation, because look at that. This is why the naked t-800 vs Christian Bale is so stupid, because it should throw him onto the ground and stomp on his head, fight over. Terminators don't gently caress around.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ross posted:

Highlights:

I forgot how setup/punchline this was.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If only cameron had left the 'good future' ending in Judgement Day.

Hey, there's an idea for a film - James Cameron is sent back to the early 90's to make sure there can never be any sequels.

"I thought we were here to stop Terminator 3?!"

"Terminator 3 is inevitable."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I knew it was Moon something.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If only cameron had left the 'good future' ending in Judgement Day.

Hey, there's an idea for a film - James Cameron is sent back to the early 90's to make sure there can never be any sequels.

"I thought we were here to stop Terminator 3?!"

"Terminator 3 is inevitable."
I think there should be be a twist where Reese goes back in time but something is hosed up with the timeline and John is played by modern day Edward Furlong, and is a giant loser. Edward Furlong will be able to afford drugs again and will probably die of an overdose halfway through production and the rest of his scenes will be filmed from behind with a homeless man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

My favorite memory is going to see T3 in the theater. The movie starts, and there's some ominous music over the studio logos, and we open on some plants at night. And then Rowan Atkinson's face appears. They'd mistakenly started showing Johnny English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eu7D63ACeY - not exactly how I remember, but just imagine sitting through the first minute thinking this is gonna be Terminator. Interesting that the actual T3 is only a little less campy.

• Locked thread