Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Super Waffle posted:

To bring back Deus Ex: Revolution, one thing that really bothered me was the boss fights. I tried to go 100% non-lethal for my first playthrough, and I was doing great until the first boss fight. I'm trying everything I can think of to take this guy down without killing him, to the point where I get so frustrated I look up a FAQ online. Turns out that boss, and indeed all the other bosses, are immune to any of the non-lethal weapons/moves. You have to kill them, and there's no way around it.

This was actually a failing of the game's design process. They 'farmed out' the design and implementation of the bosses to another project (overseas, I think) and just sort of plugged it into the game as-is. Which is why all three boss battles seem wildly out of place against the general canvas of the game - it's because there was no integration done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

To bring back Deus Ex: Revolution, one thing that really bothered me was the boss fights. I tried to go 100% non-lethal for my first playthrough, and I was doing great until the first boss fight. I'm trying everything I can think of to take this guy down without killing him, to the point where I get so frustrated I look up a FAQ online. Turns out that boss, and indeed all the other bosses, are immune to any of the non-lethal weapons/moves. You have to kill them, and there's no way around it.

That's not actually true, though? Enough stun gun ammo will beat the first two bosses just fine. In fact, it's probably one of the easiest ways to take care of them because it keeps them in stunlock. They still die tho.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Does someone have the shoddily drawn ms paint comic of a hero type killing, maiming and dismembering paid security guards just doing their job, then bests the villain, to which, now prone and bloodied, he says "I will not kill you, because that would make me just like you" and just walks off because that kind of poo poo has to be the most offensive example of lutersant naraddisses ever.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vavrek posted:

As someone only vaguely aware of the series, thank you for explaining this. It actually makes it sound more interesting.

Its sort of not really like either though since Drake in the cut-scenes is written as a fairly 'Aw-shucks', self deprecating, generically likable kind of guy, you know the sort that a lot of movies these days try to go for. I never really like the Indiana Jones comparison since they aren't the same character and I always got this impression that Jones is meant to be a rougher sort of person despite his lower body count. Honestly the thing with Uncharted is that if run and gun action adventuring with a crazy high body count is what they want to do it might have been better off not trying to make Drake this sort of 'Just like you or me!' protagonist and instead make him a Brock Samson-esque superhuman powerhouse who revels in the insane violence, that would have been fun as hell!

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Dec 12, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

how me a frog posted:

Does someone have the shoddily drawn ms paint comic of a hero type killing, maiming and dismembering paid security guards just doing their job, then bests the villain, to which, now prone and bloodied, he says "I will not kill you, because that would make me just like you" and just walks off because that kind of poo poo has to be the most offensive example of lutersant naraddisses ever.

I don't think games invented this, though. I can remember being pissed off at this poo poo in comic books and action movies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Now now, Assassin's Creed 2 has production values a bit too high to be called "shoddily drawn".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I don't think games invented this, though. I can remember being pissed off at this poo poo in comic books and action movies.

It's sort of a problem with the action genre in general, really. Some writers have a really hard time with reconciling the need for intense moments that thrill the audience and making the protagonist, if not likeable, at least relatable. It's a pretty easy trap to fall into, since a character killing a bunch of stupid, interchangeable mooks doesn't have much narrative impact (usually). Why should the protagonist give a poo poo if the audience won't?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Has anyone mentioned that game yet where you kill lots of dudes but your character feels bad about killing dudes?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

kazil posted:

Has anyone mentioned that game yet where you kill lots of dudes but your character feels bad about killing dudes?
Is there such a game? That doesn't really ring a bell.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
In Wolfenstein the New Order I'm supposed freeing prisoners, disabling enemy weapons, or whatever. Everybody's yelling at me to get on with it. But I'm just crawling around looking for Enigma codes even as my buddies are getting slaughtered by the machine gun nest I'm supposed to take out.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

kazil posted:

Metal Gear Solid Rising? A bit? Though, Raiden's entire world view flipped during each chapter. And MGS story lines are so schizophrenic that trying to parse dissonance and consonance is kind of difficult.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In the interest of giving us non-violent things to fill this thread with, might as well pull out another old chestnut of RPGs, who've arguably had these problems the longest, and I think they collated a lot of smaller bits of dissonance on the way rather than grapple with one big one.

Very rarely in RPGs will the quality of equipment make any sense whatsoever within the actual game world. If the setting has a capital city, it's probably turning up somewhere in the first half of the game. That means that the center of industry and commerce has equipment balanced for when you're still kind of a chump. Inversely, chances are pretty good that the final equipment store will be some podunk middle-of-nowhere town that happens to be near the last important place you're going, and so a linear progression wins out over making any sense whatsoever.

For a more specific example, I can't think of much better than Chrono Trigger; since 600AD comes after 1000AD in the game, weapons production was actually better four hundred years before you started. But nothing exhibits it better than when you get sent back to the Stone Age. Not only can you get katanas, crossbows, robot arms, and guns from cavemen who haven't even developed a formalized currency, but they outclass any similar weapons that you can buy from any of the AD-eras. The only era in the game that sells better equipment than the cavemen is the magically-ascended master race of 12,000 BC.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Metal Gear Solid 3. You're supposed to be the world's greatest soldier, leader and tactician, but when you're given a mission to stop the world from being engulfed in nuclear hellfire, you spend most of the time hiding in bushes with facepaint and no shirt on throwing frogs at people and giggling about it.

Alternatively, you're going around being a supercompetant one man ninja army, then you get on the radio and talk about how vampire movies give you nightmare and how you only ever really feel safe when you're inside a cardboard box.

MGS3 is the greatest game ever made.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cluedonarrative Dissonance: you need to figure out who committed a murder but sometimes you're the murderer and don't realize it and you win by figuring out it was you and turning yourself in.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Cluedonarrative Dissonance: you need to figure out who committed a murder but sometimes you're the murderer and don't realize it and you win by figuring out it was you and turning yourself in.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In Red Faction: Guerilla you spend the entire game running around with a magic nanomachine backpack that lets you repair any machine or structure instantaneously.

The game's main conflict is that the people of Mars have to live underground because in the opening mission a terraforming machine breaks.

:doh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vavrek posted:

Can anyone think of good examples that aren't about the narrative being less wantonly violent than the gameplay?

Any game where you work for the military or similar and are sent on a mission of great importance, but have to buy your own equipment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In Red Faction: Guerilla you spend the entire game running around with a magic nanomachine backpack that lets you repair any machine or structure instantaneously.

The game's main conflict is that the people of Mars have to live underground because in the opening mission a terraforming machine breaks.

:doh:

I thought that was Red Faction Armaggedon rather than Guerilla. Still, yeah. Why is that particular machine impervious to nanites?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lotish posted:

I thought that was Red Faction Armaggedon rather than Guerilla. Still, yeah. Why is that particular machine impervious to nanites?

The game is so bland and forgettable that I can't even remember the title, apparently.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Red Faction: Guerilla is the game about blowing up all of the structures on Mars that allow people to live on Mars, so that people who live on Mars can be free to live their lives as they want to.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lotish posted:

That's the best part: it isn't. The finale just has you strolling in and fixing it just like everything else. No explanation is ever given as to why you didn't do it earlier. Even a single line of technobabble about how the terraformer uses some type of technology that can't be replicated by the nanomachines, or one saying that the cultists have occupied the remains of the terraformer and have fended off all Red Faction's attempts to take it back could have explained it and they didn't even do that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Any game where you can tank 100s of bullets but during cut scenes, bad guys can hold you at gunpoint.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Any Elder Scrolls game in which you've leveled up to the point where you're a demigod, covered in glowing magical dragon shards or whatever, and assholes wearing loincloths and wielding pointy sticks still try to rob you. At least in Fallout the bandits are drug-addled and suicidal, so it makes some sense.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Any Elder Scrolls game in which you've leveled up to the point where you're a demigod, covered in glowing magical dragon shards or whatever, and assholes wearing loincloths and wielding pointy sticks still try to rob you. At least in Fallout the bandits are drug-addled and suicidal, so it makes some sense.
Or, reversing the scenario, when bandits decked out in high tier armour and carrying weapons worth a king's ransom demand you hand over 10 gold or face the consequences. Bonus points for them doing this when you also are equipped with similar vestments of a god and crackling with arcane energy, thus making it a pitched battle of legend over the equivalent of $3.50.

Speaking of pitched battles (or lack thereof), the absence of support from employers, allies and supporters always struck me as weird in games like X-COM. We stand as the last line of defence against an alien invasion that is killing millions and levelling entire cities, and the best the US can do is shoot me $100 000 and a couple of brain-dead rookies that failed Army Basic Training? Would a Reaper drone or two be too much to ask when I am slowly creeping my soldiers through the forest looking for genetically engineered super soldiers of alien origin? Heck, could I be allowed to deploy more than one dropship worth of operatives? I mean, six guys against 30+ aliens with plasma rifles and chemical weapons designed to turn humans inside out feels a bit unfair...

And then there are these scientists helping me develop weapons to take down the alien menace. They are asking sky-high salaries and will abandon the cause should I temporarily run out of funds. I am fairly sure even prominent researchers would not acquiesce to the eradication of mankind should their cheques not cash at the end of the month.

Once you start thinking about things like these the strategic layer starts feeling very detached from the game's narrative; cue dissonance. At least they started somewhat explaining it in the remake, and Xenonauts actually tries to have it make sense.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've had this happen immediately after killing a dragon right in front of them. I think the best is when you're decked out in tons of valuable rare gear and you pass the "Do I look like I have any money?" speech check.

Which I guess you wouldn't if you actually bought that stuff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Alouicious posted:

Red Faction: Guerilla is the game about blowing up all of the structures on Mars that allow people to live on Mars, so that people who live on Mars can be free to live their lives as they want to.

There's no dissonance, because you're a Space rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Or, reversing the scenario, when bandits decked out in high tier armour and carrying weapons worth a king's ransom demand you hand over 10 gold or face the consequences. Bonus points for them doing this when you also are equipped with similar vestments of a god and crackling with arcane energy, thus making it a pitched battle of legend over the equivalent of $3.50.

Those guys are clearly already rich and just doing it for the thrill, so demanding ten gold is just their way of asking if you're up for a fight.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bhodi posted:

There's no dissonance, because you're a Space rear end in a top hat.

I know, it's very silly and funny, Red Faction Guerrilla is a fun game

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In class based games it always is strange to me that only a certain class can wield a certain item. Dark Souls and other games get around this by everyone being able to do everything. But in other games like say, the Dragon Age games or some such, I find it funny that an all powerful master wizard that has seen years of battle is completely baffled by this strange bladed item with a hand guard on it. He seriously can't even PICK IT UP and swing it around terribly? This extends from games like that to other strategy based games too. No no, you don't know how to shotgun, you can only pistol, sorry. Especially in games like Mass Effect where you're essentially a highly trained N7 operative. What, did you sleep through shotgun class?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jastiger posted:

In class based games it always is strange to me that only a certain class can wield a certain item. Dark Souls and other games get around this by everyone being able to do everything. But in other games like say, the Dragon Age games or some such, I find it funny that an all powerful master wizard that has seen years of battle is completely baffled by this strange bladed item with a hand guard on it. He seriously can't even PICK IT UP and swing it around terribly? This extends from games like that to other strategy based games too. No no, you don't know how to shotgun, you can only pistol, sorry. Especially in games like Mass Effect where you're essentially a highly trained N7 operative. What, did you sleep through shotgun class?

This is ancient but fits what you describe very well. I would translate it if there were any reason to.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Dark Souls sort of does it, but if you pick up something you don't have the stats to use the game basically just says "OK you can use this, but you're going to suck at it."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RPGs like Dark Souls have gotten a lot better about this as the years have gone by, and even a decade ago in like FFX-2 this wasn't an issue (and a decade before that in FFV), but it did always used to bug me how changing your armor/weapons in RPGs would not be reflected by your in-game sprites/models. I get why that's the case-- who has the time to design unique models for every possible armor/weapon combination on every character?--but it still bugged me that my lovely little RPG protagonists were farting around in their fey outfits long after I outfitted them in suits of armor with giant gently caress-off weapons.

It also bugs me quite a bit in most games wherein you establish yourself as this badass killing machine tantamount to the Four Horsemen made flesh, yet you'll still get low-level mercenaries/monsters throwing themselves at you with total abandon. Earthbound did this pretty well, where low-level monsters would just *smell* the hurt coming from you and try to run away, and if you caught them you got essentially free XP and the implication that you stone-cold murdered an innocent fleeing victim.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
RPG characters should laugh at you when you go nuts with the face sliders

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

There's a similar thing in Dragon's Dogma. At early levels Bandits(specifically the ones with a sword and shield) are easily the strongest enemies, even when you're fighting stuff like 15 foot ogres and chimeras the size of a bus. They have absurd amounts of health and can 2-shot you. Makes the trip to the Witch's hut very perilous.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This.

Plus it would be a nice touch if when you're wearing an NPC's exact armor set, they made SOME comment about it when you spoke to them the first time after donning it. Even just "I like your robe." When I'm wearing Dusk's entire outfit in Dark Souls, I want her just ONCE to say "I see we have similar tastes!" I like feeling pretty. :haw:

Not sure if this fits with the theme of the thread, exactly, but it always amused me walking around Diablo 2 as say- a Paladin, and you go into one of the many crypt levels, and you find many containers in there marked as "Undefiled Crypt", which you can open in hopes of getting a few gold pieces or an item. So here you are, crusader against the undead, evil blight which has been let loose upon the world, and you have found a grave undefiled by the same blight you are out to destroy and what do you do? Defile it. For 5 gold.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HaB posted:

This.

Plus it would be a nice touch if when you're wearing an NPC's exact armor set, they made SOME comment about it when you spoke to them the first time after donning it. Even just "I like your robe." When I'm wearing Dusk's entire outfit in Dark Souls, I want her just ONCE to say "I see we have similar tastes!" I like feeling pretty. :haw:

They sort of did with one of the DLC bosses in 2. If you wear the armor of a guy he fought with in the past, he goes berserk and straight into the second phase of the fight. No snappy dialogue though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Has anyone made a video about a scenario like that? Just scenes made hilarious by the main character looking loving weird.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Has anyone made a video about a scenario like that? Just scenes made hilarious by the main character looking loving weird.

Every video LP of an RPG with a character creator on the internet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alouicious posted:

Every video LP of an RPG with a character creator on the internet.

I was thinking more of a "Best of" feature.

e: just found some after a dozen "top six reasons why you'll love Inquisition" videos

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

• Locked thread