Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LOOK ME IN THE EYES WHEN I AM SPEAKING, CARLOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I didn't actually play rear end Creed 3 (a decision I do not regret) but here's a common example brought up when talking about the problems with AC3 (spoilers obv):

The game features two protagonists - one for the prologue, and one for the main game. When you catch up with the first protagonist during the main game, you're told he's gone "off", because his first solution to every problem is murder.

1 Ludonnarative dissonance - the players solution to every problem has been, is, and will continue to be, murder. You've been murdering shitloads of innocent guards in the prologue, and you're still murdering shitloads of guards in the very mission you meet the previous protagonist. AC isn't the sort of game that encourages or even allows for pacifist/ghost walkthroughs.

2 Narrative dissonance - the secondary protagonists first solution to every problem is still murder. You're the head of the goddamn titular Assassin order, and all your mission (when not trading commodities, building a house or sailing the seas) consist of tracking dudes down to murder them. That's how you handle the first protagonist, that's how you handle every single one of his friends.

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

Xander77 posted:

2 Narrative dissonance - the secondary protagonists first solution to every problem is still murder. You're the head of the goddamn titular Assassin order, and all your mission (when not trading commodities, building a house or sailing the seas) consist of tracking dudes down to murder them. That's how you handle the first protagonist, that's how you handle every single one of his friends.

Do as I say, not as I do. :colbert:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I don't think being an assassin in a game called assassin's creed is terribly dissonant.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you're saying. You can't really criticize haytham for being a murdering bastard. I suppose you've got something there.

Full Battle Rattle has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Dec 14, 2014

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Jastiger posted:

Especially in games like Mass Effect where you're essentially a highly trained N7 operative. What, did you sleep through shotgun class?

I really liked how you always carried all four gun classes on your character in the first Mass Effect game, whether or not your bothered to train in any of them. The Alliance military having some regulation in place where their engineers, mercenaries, civilian contractors and support staff still have to carry around sniper rifles despite not ever getting the that level of marksmanship training for it is exactly the kind of thing I could see a galaxy-spanning spacefleet enforcing. Especially in a world where nobody has to buy bullets.

Likewise, the Council forcing their nearly lawless special enforcers to loot their equipment from the dead and mine their own resources. "You don't get health insurance anymore but we have authorized you to just steal medical supplies from corporate labs without consequence. Win-win."

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
How Saren was treated by the council was also pretty funny too.
"Saren? Oh yeah, he has massive dummy corporations worth more than most planets which does secret research on a planet we legally can't investigate and is a techno-organic monstrosity that scares the everliving poo poo out of us. No, we don't think this is the slightest bit odd Shepard, stop trying to bring down such an honest man Turian."

It was great when he talks to Shepard about having had some upgrades done courtesy of the Reapers late in the game and the players are probably thinking that he looks exactly the same as he did in the beginning. Which he did, because Bioware didn't bother giving him a unique model so those early scenes.

Or how in Mass Effect 2 Cerberus somehow had vast resources to construct an improved model of the most top secret ship in the entire navy and cure Shepard of the minor problem known as "falling-into-atmosphereitis", yet couldn't even turn on a toaster without something going horribly wrong. Half the missions in the game were just fixing poo poo that Cerberus did to the point that by the end of the game I decided to go against the Illusive Man's will because he'd probably somehow gently caress up (spoilers for a game that's been talked to death)his secret collector base and end up killing half the galaxy before Shepard could fix it.

Edit: hosed up spoiler tags :downs:

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Dec 14, 2014

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Don Gato posted:

Or how in Mass Effect 2 Cerberus somehow had vast resources to construct an improved model of the most top secret ship in the entire navy and cure Shepard of the minor problem known as "falling-into-atmosphereitis", yet couldn't even turn on a toaster without something going horribly wrong. Half the missions in the game were just fixing poo poo that Cerberus did to the point that by the end of the game I decided to go against the Illusive Man's will because he'd probably somehow gently caress up (spoilers for a game that's been talked to death)[spoilers]his secret collector base[/spoilers] and end up killing half the galaxy before Shepard could fix it.

Which, ironically, makes the whole thing perfectly consistent - once again, one of Cerberus's secret projects has gone horribly wrong, though at least this time the fallout is limited to "That guy we brought back from the dead told us to gently caress off, blew up the technology we wanted to aquire, stole our prototype ship, and convinced all our people to defect..."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

Which, ironically, makes the whole thing perfectly consistent - once again, one of Cerberus's secret projects has gone horribly wrong, though at least this time the fallout is limited to "That guy we brought back from the dead told us to gently caress off, blew up the technology we wanted to aquire, stole our prototype ship, and convinced all our people to defect..."

Yeah, the whole point is that Cerberus is a sprawling evil organization with zero oversight.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Don Gato posted:

How Saren was treated by the council was also pretty funny too.
My favorite part will always be the trial the Council puts him on at the beginning of the first game.

Turian Councilor: "You have eyewitness testimony that Saren shot a fellow Specter in cold blood? Get this nonsense out of my court!"

*one hour later*

Turian Councilor: "So you're telling me a vagrant pulled some data out of an evil robot and the only portion that could be salvaged is a recording of Saren implicating himself and his co-conspirator for no real reason?

This is irrefutable!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Hate Fibration posted:

My favorite case of this was in the original Fallout 3. Super mutants were completely immune to radiation, and you could have a super mutant companion, Fawkes, with you. At the end of the game you have to go into an irradiated chamber and save the world. But the radiation will kill you, and you are offered the choice to let your companion go in and die for you. But if you have Fawkes with you, the game just outright refuses, with Fawkes saying IT IS YOUR DESTINY

They patched this out in New Vegas IIRC.

Pretty much any Bethesda game could be in this thread. The more they try to immerse you in the game, the more you feel the "gameyness" of their world.

It's the same reason I can't get in to any Elder Scroll game after Daggerfall. You can be literally good at anything, as long as you take the time to hop-hop-hop for the next 5 hours. Sneaking up on people with full plate armor? No problem!

I'm surprised the didn't add a mechanic where you have to quick event a bunch of buttons to make a pair of terrible shoes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hannibal Smith posted:

My favorite part will always be the trial the Council puts him on at the beginning of the first game.

Turian Councilor: "You have eyewitness testimony that Saren shot a fellow Specter in cold blood? Get this nonsense out of my court!"

*one hour later*

Turian Councilor: "So you're telling me a vagrant pulled some data out of an evil robot and the only portion that could be salvaged is a recording of Saren implicating himself and his co-conspirator for no real reason?

This is irrefutable!"

The Turian Councilor is the origin of :turianass: too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Oc-pstqpc

RatHat has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Dec 16, 2014

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

RandomFerret posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3. You're supposed to be the world's greatest soldier, leader and tactician, but when you're given a mission to stop the world from being engulfed in nuclear hellfire, you spend most of the time hiding in bushes with facepaint and no shirt on throwing frogs at people and giggling about it.

Alternatively, you're going around being a supercompetant one man ninja army, then you get on the radio and talk about how vampire movies give you nightmare and how you only ever really feel safe when you're inside a cardboard box.

MGS3 is the greatest game ever made.

MGS 3 can't hold a candle to MGS 4's dissonance. I literally cannot think of a single piece of fiction, videogame or otherwise, that has such an insanely tone-deaf narrative. In one scene you have a guy tell you how the boss you just fought was a child soldier who was forced to watch as her parent were raped and murdered in front of her. Immediately followed by slapstick comedy about a man pooping his pants.

Oh how I wish I was exaggerating. That game took 15 hours of my life and I want them back dammit.

(More to the point of the thread, it always bugged me how snake/raiden had wicked sick anime ninja moves in cutscenes and then the second you got hold of their controls they were right back to being Clunky McFuckstick)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

sentientcarbon posted:

MGS 3 can't hold a candle to MGS 4's dissonance. I literally cannot think of a single piece of fiction, videogame or otherwise, that has such an insanely tone-deaf narrative. In one scene you have a guy tell you how the boss you just fought was a child soldier who was forced to watch as her parent were raped and murdered in front of her. Immediately followed by slapstick comedy about a man pooping his pants.

Literally every MGS game does this Kojima is just a weird dude.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ElGroucho posted:

Pretty much any Bethesda game could be in this thread. The more they try to immerse you in the game, the more you feel the "gameyness" of their world.

It's the same reason I can't get in to any Elder Scroll game after Daggerfall. You can be literally good at anything, as long as you take the time to hop-hop-hop for the next 5 hours. Sneaking up on people with full plate armor? No problem!

I'm surprised the didn't add a mechanic where you have to quick event a bunch of buttons to make a pair of terrible shoes.

Yeah, in Skyrim anytime you try to side with an "evil" side of a faction the game will force you to go back in the scripted direction with some dialogue or dumb reasoning. Even in one of the DLCs where you can outright join the villain, the quest line turns out to be the same as if you'd joined the good guys in the end.

That's the one where you start out as a vampire hunter who finds a vampire with an elder scroll and instead of killing or capturing her, you immediately turn her over to her obviously evil father's vampire clan. Then she later shows up to help the vampire hunters kill him. If you join the vampires, you still decide to kill him. The whole thing is just plot dissonance from start to finish.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Dec 16, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The dissonance in MGS can be directly traced to the dissonance from 80's films. Grim dark really wasn't a thing back then, at least not to the extent it is now. The film Commando, for instance, has Arnold Schwarzenegger killing an absolute poo poo-ton of people while glibly rattling off one-liners. Like hurling a knife into a man's chest, watching the spark of life leave his body, and then saying "Stick around."

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The dissonance in MGS can be directly traced to the dissonance from 80's films. Grim dark really wasn't a thing back then, at least not to the extent it is now. The film Commando, for instance, has Arnold Schwarzenegger killing an absolute poo poo-ton of people while glibly rattling off one-liners. Like hurling a knife into a man's chest, watching the spark of life leave his body, and then saying "Stick around."

That's from Predator

Commando is the one where he does not kill Sully last

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just thought of anther one. Again, one so old that at this point we've got plenty of attempts to explain it, but it's still extremely commonplace: "You beat my first form, but now it turns out I'm EVEN STRONGER."

There's only so much that can be explained by the villain being cocky or cautious, and most games don't even do that. It' always just 'well, you beat my first form, time to HULK OUT!' Because apparently, the guy that's crippled all yoru plans up tot his point, and is now beating down your door: apparently not worth bringing out all your power at once.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
"heh this isn't even my final form!" (15 minutes cutscene)x3

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I just thought of anther one. Again, one so old that at this point we've got plenty of attempts to explain it, but it's still extremely commonplace: "You beat my first form, but now it turns out I'm EVEN STRONGER."

There's only so much that can be explained by the villain being cocky or cautious, and most games don't even do that. It' always just 'well, you beat my first form, time to HULK OUT!' Because apparently, the guy that's crippled all yoru plans up tot his point, and is now beating down your door: apparently not worth bringing out all your power at once.

On a similar note, action-rpg enemies not using the epic-level gear they drop on death. In some cases this is justified by them not having the limbs for it or it being the wrong size, but when a human bandit dies and he had Excalibur in his pocket and a rusty knife in his hand, I want to know why he chose the stupid option, given all the swearing and posturing and shouting he did during the actual fighting and subsequent dying.

The only game I've seen that doesn't have the enemy arbitrarily handicapping themselves that way was Titan Quest. It was a great feature- every now and again, you'd see an enemy (usually a random one-hit mook) with a spangly weapon or shiny unique piece of armour that would make it much tougher than the average enemy, and when you finally killed them, they'd drop that item and you'd get that item and use it to kill all their friends. I'm pretty sure that all enemies were set to use the most powerful of all the gear that they carried and could equip. If a fight wasn't going well for seemingly no reason, you were pretty much guaranteed a good drop.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

In Final Fantasy VII the citizens of Midgar complain about poverty even though killing even the simplest of mobs (which are all over the drat place) can yield hundreds of gold pieces. Likewise when cloud is pushing Barrett to give him more money you probably have more gil than he begrudgingly gives you just from the short adventure you took just minutes before. If not, you can wander a couple screens over and earn enough money to pay for 'Marlene's schoolin' " several times over within half an hour.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Supeerme posted:

"heh this isn't even my final form!" (15 minutes cutscene)x3

I was playing Tales of Xillia 2 recently, and it had the dumbest bit of pre-boss-battle boasting I've ever encountered...

"You can't expect to beat all of $PROTAGONIST_PARTY by yourself, $VILLAIN_NAME!"
"No? My enhancements grant me the strength and acuity of two normal men!"

And I'm sitting there saying; "Yes, but there are four of us. One of us is a minor deity. And all of us have literally killed gods."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somfin posted:

On a similar note, action-rpg enemies not using the epic-level gear they drop on death. In some cases this is justified by them not having the limbs for it or it being the wrong size, but when a human bandit dies and he had Excalibur in his pocket and a rusty knife in his hand, I want to know why he chose the stupid option, given all the swearing and posturing and shouting he did during the actual fighting and subsequent dying.

In Borderlands 2 this actually works the other way around. You can get melted by an enemy using a legendary (really rare) weapon, then you kill it and it drops a piece of rusty garbage.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

sentientcarbon posted:

That's not so much ludonarrative dissonance so much as just George Lucas levels of tonedeaf.

I watched the new uncharted gameplay footage, and while I'm sure it's been talked about to death I think it's a perfect example. The tone those games always wanted (and often succeeded) to have was a fun, adventurous one, the laziest example of course being Indiana Jones. the thing is, though, if the Uncharted games were films they would be loving X-rated being there is so much Goddamn killing in them, to the point where every single character must just not have any emotion whatsoever. I can't think of any action movie that even approaches the death toll in an Uncharted game. I really enjoy the games, but you really have to turn your brain off to the enormous body count (even worse when you consider the number of innocent people who die in the games).

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Dec 16, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

I can't think of any action movie that even approaches the death toll in an Uncharted game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a0L3Z1A-RM

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
See, when I'm playing Uncharted I never think about Drake's morality or whatever, I just wonder where the gently caress the Bad Guys got all their armed henchmen from? Like seriously the Serbian guy from 2 had about an army brigade's worth of dudes with him in the middle of Nepal. How did he even manage that?

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

The_White_Crane posted:

I was playing Tales of Xillia 2 recently, and it had the dumbest bit of pre-boss-battle boasting I've ever encountered...

"You can't expect to beat all of $PROTAGONIST_PARTY by yourself, $VILLAIN_NAME!"
"No? My enhancements grant me the strength and acuity of two normal men!"

And I'm sitting there saying; "Yes, but there are four of us. One of us is a minor deity. And all of us have literally killed gods."

I haven't played that particular game, but on that note I like how in a typical JRPG after you fight $VILLAIN_NAME he joins your party for some reason... only now he has 1/100th of his former hitpoints and he needs to relearn his best skills by gaining about 20 levels.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In Final Fantasy VII the citizens of Midgar complain about poverty even though killing even the simplest of mobs (which are all over the drat place) can yield hundreds of gold pieces. Likewise when cloud is pushing Barrett to give him more money you probably have more gil than he begrudgingly gives you just from the short adventure you took just minutes before. If not, you can wander a couple screens over and earn enough money to pay for 'Marlene's schoolin' " several times over within half an hour.

Perhaps they're poor because they were all mugged by the mobs!?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Somfin posted:

The only game I've seen that doesn't have the enemy arbitrarily handicapping themselves that way was Titan Quest. It was a great feature- every now and again, you'd see an enemy (usually a random one-hit mook) with a spangly weapon or shiny unique piece of armour that would make it much tougher than the average enemy, and when you finally killed them, they'd drop that item and you'd get that item and use it to kill all their friends. I'm pretty sure that all enemies were set to use the most powerful of all the gear that they carried and could equip. If a fight wasn't going well for seemingly no reason, you were pretty much guaranteed a good drop.

Oblivion does this as well. It really only creates its own dissonance, where Bandits in armour and weapons which are legitimately worth more than some houses in the game are mugging you, when they could just sell the armour and give up banditry for good. Skyrim kind of fixes this, where every bandit, no matter your level, is wearing iron armour. Except they are all so competent at high levels that you start to wonder why they don't just take up adventuring, which presumeably has significantly less risk of a Dragonborn dropping down on them for a 100 gold bounty.

Adventurers in Bethesda games brings its own ludonarrative dissonance. In games like Skyrim and Oblivion, the whole idea is that the player, as an adventurer, is qualified and capable of venturing into caves, tombs, etc. and generally fighting. Adventurer things. The average joe blogs, by contrast, doesn't have the skills or bravery to do it, which is fair enough. Except whenever a dragon attacks, or you kill a guy, or you punch a chicken, the entire town comes running at perpetrator bare handed. If you can take on a dragon, you can probably punch out a bunch of rats in a cave mate.

Its worse when its you they're coming at. When these townspeople are willing to try to kill you, the all-powerful Dragonborn, a guy who regularly wanders the realms of Oblivion because they're bored, wearing armour made from the bones and scales of Dragons that you have slaughtered, and crackling with arcane energies no man ought to wot of, they should be able to handle a couple of draugr no problem. And yet, despite being willing to take you on, "Oh no, my ancestral buttplug is lost in this cave full of rats. Help, Dragonborn!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

That's not so much ludonarrative dissonance so much as just George Lucas levels of tonedeaf.

I watched the new uncharted gameplay footage, and while I'm sure it's been talked about to death I think it's a perfect example. The tone those games always wanted (and often succeeded) to have was a fun, adventurous one, the laziest example of course being Indiana Jones. the thing is, though, if the Uncharted games were films they would be loving X-rated being there is so much Goddamn killing in them, to the point where every single character must just not have any emotion whatsoever. I can't think of any action movie that even approaches the death toll in an Uncharted game. I really enjoy the games, but you really have to turn your brain off to the enormous body count (even worse when you consider the number of innocent people who die in the games).

or just follow the John Woo Film Rules: the nameless faceless goons who pop up during fight scenes just to be shot don't matter because who gives a poo poo it's a movie/video game

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Alouicious posted:

or just follow the John Woo Film Rules: the nameless faceless goons who pop up during fight scenes just to be shot don't matter because who gives a poo poo it's a movie/video game

I don't think you understand this thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Apparently it's people wanting every game to be a deconstruction of the action hero archetype.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A bunch of nerds getting real angry about a made up term that exists so video games can have a special name for bad writing? I understand it perfectly.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Grand Theft Auto has ludonarrative dissonance because you have fun killing lots of people but your character acts sad about killing.

Uncharted has ludonarrative dissonance because you have fun killing lots of people but your character doesn't act sad about killing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

See, when I'm playing Uncharted I never think about Drake's morality or whatever, I just wonder where the gently caress the Bad Guys got all their armed henchmen from? Like seriously the Serbian guy from 2 had about an army brigade's worth of dudes with him in the middle of Nepal. How did he even manage that?

The best part was that they beat you into this hidden city noone has been to in forever. Like he helicoptered hundreds of dudes into the mountains and had them wait at the hidden city just for Drake.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This thread was a lot better before Uncharted was even mentioned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alouicious posted:

A bunch of nerds getting real angry about a made up term that exists so video games can have a special name for bad writing? I understand it perfectly.

God you come across as a schmuck.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the Borderlands universe nearly everyone wears Star Trek-style shields that block bullets/damage. Except in cutscenes, where a single bullet/stab/ect. can kill someone. It's not like shields are just for gameplay and are non-canon like the respawn stations; they're mentioned a few times in dialogue.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

This thread was a lot better before Uncharted was even mentioned.

All games threads would be a lot better if people realized that you can criticize aspects of a game without hating or even disliking the game as a whole, but instead people just get pissy and defensive whenever a game they like is criticized because they're manchildren who build their entire identity around consuming media.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All games threads would be a lot better if people realized that you can criticize aspects of a game without hating or even disliking the game as a whole, but instead people just get pissy and defensive whenever a game they like is criticized because they're manchildren who build their entire identity around consuming media.

you are the most predictable motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Where did that come from?

• Locked thread