Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

And suddenly this thread is good again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I guess I never caught the subtle details of Tag back when I used to play it. I think that one deserves a replay now that I'm old and wise enough to catch all the symbolism.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I guess I never caught the subtle details of Tag back when I used to play it. I think that one deserves a replay now that I'm old and wise enough to catch all the symbolism.

That game never runs as well on newer systems though.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

And I'd be careful trying to play an old version with people mostly using the new one :pedo:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I just thought of anther one. Again, one so old that at this point we've got plenty of attempts to explain it, but it's still extremely commonplace: "You beat my first form, but now it turns out I'm EVEN STRONGER."

There's only so much that can be explained by the villain being cocky or cautious, and most games don't even do that. It' always just 'well, you beat my first form, time to HULK OUT!' Because apparently, the guy that's crippled all yoru plans up tot his point, and is now beating down your door: apparently not worth bringing out all your power at once.

HeroCore's last boss goes from Full power, to forced to use gimmicky things, to forced to his knees and struggling to attack you specifically because of Daniel Remar's thoughts on that cliche. It's kinda neat.

In fact every boss that has several phases starts off with the hardest form. Except Plasma Hydra, because don't want you to get complacement now hm? :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I went back and played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time again. Every time I died, the Prince's narration says something like "That didn't happen" or a dismissive "No, no." before you restart from your last checkpoint.

Except that the end reveals he's telling the story to Farah, so that means at various points when telling her the story he apparently said "And then you died. Wait, no, that didn't happen. I bravely fought off the bad guys attacking you and you were fine." I can kind of understand that mentality in a game where you reverse time a whole bunch to undo certain damage or hits, but when it's stuff like "And I fell off a cliff onto some spikes and didn't have any sand left to rewind. No, no, silly me, let me go back a couple minutes and tell you what really happened when I went into that room."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this thread is a longform Penny Arcade strip circa 2005

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I went back and played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time again. Every time I died, the Prince's narration says something like "That didn't happen" or a dismissive "No, no." before you restart from your last checkpoint.

Except that the end reveals he's telling the story to Farah, so that means at various points when telling her the story he apparently said "And then you died. Wait, no, that didn't happen. I bravely fought off the bad guys attacking you and you were fine." I can kind of understand that mentality in a game where you reverse time a whole bunch to undo certain damage or hits, but when it's stuff like "And I fell off a cliff onto some spikes and didn't have any sand left to rewind. No, no, silly me, let me go back a couple minutes and tell you what really happened when I went into that room."

I choose to believe it's because she keeps interjecting and saying "And then you fell into a pit and died, right?", trying to drop subtle hints she wants him to drop dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

sticklefifer posted:

In monkey island 2 the whole game is one long flashback. There's a point where you get stuck in a death trap and if you take too long to solve it, you die. The scene will cut back to the main character telling the story being told that he's clearly still alive and giving you another chance.

• Locked thread