Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

computer parts posted:

I know it's not a binary choice, my point is that the modes of labor you want to automate (the cheap menial jobs) are quite often very very hard to do. What's more likely is that easier jobs (many white collar ones) are automated, and with labor becoming more of a rare resource, wages compensate for those "menial" jobs.

Indentured servitude is unlikely on a company by company basis because presumably they'll be paying your debt so it's likely more expensive to do that and feed/clothe/etc you than just giving you a paycheck. Plus that would likely make high turnover a difficult thing.

(On a sidenote I really hate the "society will change in x decades therefore you can't argue with me" statement because why even have the thread open if you're admitting to just pissing in the wind?)

Even 10 years ago taxi drivers would have laughed at the idea of being replaced by driverless cars but it's probably going to happen within the next couple decades. I think you are greatly underestimating the number of low wage jobs that can be eliminated. Sure janitors sound hard but fast food chains? Warehouse operations (see amazon)? Self-check out lines have gone from basically 0 in 2005 to 400,000 in a decade, and that trend will only increase.

On the topic of the OP, I find it hard to believe that a small population decline should have us more worried than the fact that human population was virtually stable for millennial and then quadrupled in the last 100 years. Like when my grandma was born there were like 1.5 billion people on this planet and that's just crazy to me.

tsa fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread