Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also using the shinespark is loving cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't believe the new Halo lets you aim down sights.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BUT CAN YOU ROLL

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I think the big problem people have with Dead Space 3, and also with Mass Effect 3, is that a lot of gameplay improvements are added in that don't gel with the story. So, yeah, being able to dodge is fantastic. In fact, it would be perfectly at home in Dead Space 1, and there's not really much issue aside from the pedantic question of "Well why couldn't be do it before?"

But every weapon and/or tool magically using the same ammunition type? And that ammo suddenly being very liberally spread around 200 year-old wrecks? That is kind of stupid. They could have very easily tried to add some kind of explanation like, "We're going to have to use outdated weaponry because our modern bullets/power cells/whatever won't work with these old kinds of ammo", but nope! Just hands Isaac a gun and a plasma cutter on Luna that both run off of bullets that were apparantly used for 190 years, stopped being used for about a decade, and then experienced a resurgance. The Mass Effect comparison is pretty apt in this case too, because while Mass Effect made some sort of an argument for why guns suddenly need ammo, (You're not military anymore, and civilian guns are poo poo!) ME3 just says, "gently caress that, even the military uses these crappy guns now, the old ones don't exist anymore."

Someone who enjoys games for the story as much as the gameplay can understandably experience a shitton of dissonance from these kinds of things. It's not that it's worse gameplay, but it highlights a stark gap in plot. For a series of games that are as story-heavy as Dead Space and Mass Effect, that's a critical fumble on a pretty important element.

Dead Space 3 has, in my opinion, the best gameplay in the series. I love almost every new thing that they added in terms of actually playing the game. But the story is kind of poo poo, and it shows. If I was only playing the game for the story, and didn't care much about the gameplay, I'd hate it.

(And yes, there are a generous amount of people who will just bitch about anything new, no matter how well it's implemented. But in this case, I think there are very real concerns and issues that some people have with the game. v:shobon:v)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I think the big problem people have with Dead Space 3, and also with Mass Effect 3, is that a lot of gameplay improvements are added in that don't gel with the story. So, yeah, being able to dodge is fantastic. In fact, it would be perfectly at home in Dead Space 1, and there's not really much issue aside from the pedantic question of "Well why couldn't be do it before?"

But every weapon and/or tool magically using the same ammunition type? And that ammo suddenly being very liberally spread around 200 year-old wrecks? That is kind of stupid. They could have very easily tried to add some kind of explanation like, "We're going to have to use outdated weaponry because our modern bullets/power cells/whatever won't work with these old kinds of ammo", but nope! Just hands Isaac a gun and a plasma cutter on Luna that both run off of bullets that were apparantly used for 190 years, stopped being used for about a decade, and then experienced a resurgance. The Mass Effect comparison is pretty apt in this case too, because while Mass Effect made some sort of an argument for why guns suddenly need ammo, (You're not military anymore, and civilian guns are poo poo!) ME3 just says, "gently caress that, even the military uses these crappy guns now, the old ones don't exist anymore."

ME2's codex said everybody switched to the new guns while Shep was dead. Better firepower, more convenience, that kind of thing. ME3 just added Conrad wondering how the hell they were an improvement and Shepard being irritated with him.

But they did have shipwrecks from before thermal clips were invented covered in the drat things, so it's not like ME2 was short in conflict between codex and gameplay.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Crane Fist posted:

Man quit acting like any of these are bad things, apart from the multiplayer angle which was lovely they're all solid choices, I mean who even thinks that being able to roll is a detriment to the franchise? And what the hell is a 'lore/action balance' are you complaining there's not enough bits where you walk around slowly and suddenly a loud text log happens or what? Universal ammo was also a good idea, it's cool being able to use the decent guns and not being stuck with the lovely assault rifle because you ran out of bullets for everything fun to use and what it's a surprise that the third and final instalment in a series has higher stakes than the preceding ones?

Nearly every complaint about this game seems to boil down to "it's not the same as DS2" which is weird because the first two games didn't evaporate when this one came out! You can still play them and that's a fine choice to make

But no this is exactly as bad as Mass Effect 3, which was also terrible I mean did you see the ROLLING. You jump and turn into a ball and then stand up it's loving witchcraft

I don't hate rolling, I was just searching for another bullet point item to add to the comparison. I just didn't like that it looked like EA was doing the same thing to Dead Space that Capcom did to RE.

Universal ammo is nice from a gameplay perspective, but doesn't make sense when most of your arsenal is whatever mining equipment you could scavenge, on top of ammo management being a big survival horror thing.

The funny thing is, I still like Aliens as a sequel to Alien. \/:shobon:\/

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

chiasaur11 posted:

ME2's codex said everybody switched to the new guns while Shep was dead. Better firepower, more convenience, that kind of thing. ME3 just added Conrad wondering how the hell they were an improvement and Shepard being irritated with him.

Huh... I could have sworn the explanation was different, but the wiki says you're right... I guess my memory just sucks? :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I finally got around to watching chapter one, even though I'm in chapter two, and I noticed a couple of things.

1) Simon Templeman is doing some serious Space Michael Cain poo poo.
2) That jacket loving rocks.
3) One of the billboards on the moon said Kitty Kitty Bang Bang.
4) KITTY KITTY BANG BANG :byodood:
5) You fuckers did talk me into joining a cult.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to getting spooked by this LP

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

4) KITTY KITTY BANG BANG :byodood:

Oh my god. Yes.

I kind of agree that some of the actual gameplay changes they made to DS3 were good, but unfortunately combined with a lovely story, tacked-on multiplayer, and the game trying to tempt you with goddamn microtransactions every time you use a bench. ME3 did suffer from much the same situation, but at least in that case some of it was mitigated. The core story still didn't mesh with the previous two games (and relied far too much on Shepard getting the idiot ball whenever Kai Leng was involved), but the Leviathan, Omega, and Citadel DLCs were actually really drat good, and the so-called 'director's cut' actually made the ending of the game acceptable, if still not great. It's just a drat shame that the best parts of the game's story were, in fact, DLC. (Well, most of the best. Tuchanka was great.)

Alas, DS3 doesn't get the same kind of improvement. It is just unfortunate the story had to suffer so much to fit EA's ...being EA.

At least we'll always have Dead Space 1 and 2.

Edit: Not sure why my spoiler tag didn't work. Removed that bit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Oh my god. Yes.

I kind of agree that some of the actual gameplay changes they made to DS3 were good, but unfortunately combined with a lovely story, tacked-on multiplayer, and the game trying to tempt you with goddamn microtransactions every time you use a bench.

This is generally my opinion. I find Dead Space 3 fun in terms of just the gameplay and set pieces (the section later with the ship crashing and killing a good chunk of the cast is terrifying all on its own). It ends up being dragged down by a mediocre story, unusual pacing that alternates between blazing through the plot and forcing in padding segments, and the infamous microtransaction bullshit that we'll see come up shortly, probably the next video. It's not a bad game by any means, but its flaws make it unappealing to complete.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hahaha, what the crap. For anyone who read over this, it's a fan fiction of the Ben Templesmith/Anthony Johnson Dead Space comic which is great (the comic, not the fan fic).

Abraham "Bram" Neumann is the protagonist, and the fan fic appears to be written right after the comic ends, after the whole ground colony has been lost and Bram has watched all his friends and colleagues die horrible deaths. All the while, necromorphs bang on the doors outside the room he's in while he sends a transmission to Earth or where ever to stay away.

All the names thrown out are characters in the comic, including Carthusia, who is the mad Unitologist colony director who helps spread the necromorphs before being consumed himself. I believe he gets name-dropped in the film, Dead Space: Downfall, and in data log pick ups in Dead Space one.

Anyways, the comic is pretty sweet and has a digital reading available, so anyone can take a look.

Comic 1/6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1paM_Vq9I

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Altman be praised! I've been waiting for a Dead Space 3 LP for a while now, I hope you spend time making a horrific frankengun with which to obliterate not-zombies.

Captain Bravo posted:

Huh... I could have sworn the explanation was different, but the wiki says you're right... I guess my memory just sucks? :v:

ME2 has a few lampshades on changes that the community didn't like. There's a sequence in the last DLC where you're waiting for someone to hack a door while waves of mooks attack you.

"Don't you miss the days when you could just slather it in Omni-gel until it opens?"
"Yeah a lot of people were annoyed with that security upgrade."

And in ME3 they implemented a weapon called the M-7 Lancer which is a museum piece gun from ME1 that you can steal from a private collection. It's also an object lesson on why they changed to thermal clips from heatsink weapons. It's ridiculously powerful and it can be really strong if you're good at feathering the trigger and letting it cool down manually. But if you overheat the reload animation takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 seconds as you pop the thing open and let it vent heat straight into your face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Hahaha, what the crap. For anyone who read over this, it's a fan fiction of the Ben Templesmith/Anthony Johnson Dead Space comic which is great (the comic, not the fan fic).

Abraham "Bram" Neumann is the protagonist, and the fan fic appears to be written right after the comic ends, after the whole ground colony has been lost and Bram has watched all his friends and colleagues die horrible deaths. All the while, necromorphs bang on the doors outside the room he's in while he sends a transmission to Earth or where ever to stay away.

Attesting to the comics/books being pretty sweet. I mentioned Dead Space: Martyr in the first episode, starring Altman, which I recommend you all read if you like Dead Space because it's pretty dang good for a tie-in novel. Dead Space 3 even has a prequel graphic novel called Dead Space: Liberation, which I will talk about in the next episode for a little bit because this game kinda shits on what it established! If you want more Danik, that's where to look!

Also, fun dumb fact about Danik, his irises are slightly different sizes in the game, which is probably why he wears those nerd glasses. They're PRESCRIBED nerd glasses.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

CJacobs posted:

Also, fun dumb fact about Danik, his irises are slightly different sizes in the game, which is probably why he wears those nerd glasses. They're PRESCRIBED nerd glasses.

Holy poo poo. Who would have thought that the leader of a superiority cult would actually have inferior characteristics.

Necromorph = Master Race

Altman be praised.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So, the question of the RIG's prevalence came up in the video. According to some wiki perusing, it's extremely common and appears to be mandated for certain jobs because of the handiness of its integrated communication modules and how it uses the spine to show a quick display of a person's overall health condition. It also provides a frame for adding things like armor, drug injectors, and stasis/kinesis modules.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Funnily enough, the worst multiplayer in Dead Space is actually in DS2, which has a genuine L4D Versus multiplayer mode. Honestly, DS3 isn't awful, it has some seriously great events and environments, and it's kind of amazing that it's even semi-competent considering the horrific developer turnover, but it makes some seriously questionable choices and it's almost always a pretty huge disappointment compared to DS2.

I should probably be quiet about the disappointment and start talking about that like, since I do generally like DS3. It's alraedy had one nice sequence, although the train ending is really finicky on timing, and Episode 2 is going to be GREAT.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today Isaac reveals that he is actually from the elemental plane of people who are bad with electronics, and then we meet everyone's favorite character. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS AND COLLECTIBLES IN THIS CHAPTER: (thanks Dead Space wiki)

quote:

OFFICER’S LOG: CAPT Robert Norton

Clarke hasn’t exactly made himself easy to find, and I can’t say I blame him. He’s been on the run from EarthGov since he escaped Titan Station with those Marker secrets stuck in his head. If it weren’t for Ellie’s help, we wouldn’t have known where to look.

We set a course for New Horizons Lunar Colony this morning. Now the trick is to find him before Danik does.

He’d better be worth it.

TRIVIA FOR THIS CHAPTER:

- The USM Eudora, Norton and co.'s ship, is named after one of the greek Hyades, a sisterhood of nymphs that brought the rain. The Hyades were daughters of Atlas, sisters of Hyas. When Hyas was killed in a hunting accident, the Hyades wept from their grief for the rest of their lives bringing rain to the Earth to cure a generations-long drought in ancient Greece. They literally died from grief. For their deeds they were immortalized as stars, a cluster of the same name. Eudora is one of these stars.
- Also, it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. What.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The ship name isn't that bad, there's a bunch of things named "Roanoke" that haven't mysteriously disappeared.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actual footage from the upcoming Dead Space film adaptation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpmshIjeSv8

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. Ellie's design is terrible.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
Using crosshairs instead of classic lasers should be grounds for summary execution by having to listen to Norton speak.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Samovar posted:

It's like they handed her character design off to a horny 15 year old named Jason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chesnok posted:

Using crosshairs instead of classic lasers should be grounds for summary execution by having to listen to Norton speak.

Actually, you can turn on the classic laser aiming in the options menu. In Classic mode it's permanently switched on. The game supports both modes, unlike Dead Space 2 which DID have the setting but faked it either way (if you turn on Classic aiming in Dead Space 2, the laser is projected from Isaac but it still goes to the direct center of the screen instead of from him outward).

Samovar posted:

Yeah dude it's pretty bad. Here's a quick comparison of the two:

They made her facial features "prettier" (thinner jaw, lower forehead etc), made her bust bigger (or just got rid of her bra I guess), and didn't just slap a V-neck on her, it may as well be a U-neck. They also made her skin tone lighter, and it's not just because she's in the darkness in the left shot; in Dead Space 2 she was more "ambiguously brown" and in this game she's more "white person with a nice tan". She actually does get a much better outfit later on, but then it gets worse again before the end so they don't get any points for it.

Like, Dead Space 2 didn't go out of its way to emphasize that Ellie is a pretty lady (she was definitely designed that way as the female lead in both games though), but boy does this game put it right up front.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 12, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dr. Tough posted:

The ship name isn't that bad, there's a bunch of things named "Roanoke" that haven't mysteriously disappeared.

I'm not so sure if the Roanoke colony so much "mysteriously disappeared" as went "... you know what? gently caress this semi-serfdom bullshit, let's go join up with that tribe over there".

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

I'm not so sure if the Roanoke colony so much "mysteriously disappeared" as went "... you know what? gently caress this semi-serfdom bullshit, let's go join up with that tribe over there".

In popular imagination they "mysteriously disappeared"

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Croatoan got em'.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Tough posted:

In popular imagination they "mysteriously disappeared"

Is it just popular imagination? As far as I've seen, no conclusive evidence has been produced to explain what happened to the colony.

Except for, what, the words "croatoan" and "cro" and a single skeleton? If there has been new evidence w/r/t the colony, please let me know. I would actually be really interested in knowing.

citybeatnik posted:

I dunno, man. If I'm gonna use my Titanic comparison, then this sounds to me like someone saying that the Titanic wasn't so much a "loving disaster" as "it was a technological marvel that was unfortunately lost to a combination of unfortunate events and human error".

Yes, true, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a loving disaster, or that Roanoke mysteriously disappeared.

(But again, I haven't a chance to research and see if there's been a lot of new data unearthed on the ultimate fate of Roanoke).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Blind Sally posted:

I dunno, man. If I'm gonna use my Titanic comparison, then this sounds to me like someone saying that the Titanic wasn't so much a "loving disaster" as "it was a technological marvel that was unfortunately lost to a combination of unfortunate events and human error".

Yes, true, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a loving disaster, or that Roanoke mysteriously disappeared.

(But again, I haven't a chance to research and see if there's been a lot of new data unearthed on the ultimate fate of Roanoke).

The large number of blue-eyed, blonde haired, and/or fair skinned natives that showed up in the neighboring tribes that spoke pretty good English is a pretty good sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony#Integration_with_local_tribes

I'm not saying that the writers of the game didn't pick that name for the "welp whoops something strange happened here everyone up and disappeared" reason, mind.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

citybeatnik posted:

The large number of blue-eyed, blonde haired, and/or fair skinned natives that showed up in the neighboring tribes that spoke pretty good English is a pretty good sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony#Integration_with_local_tribes

I'm not saying that the writers of the game didn't pick that name for the "welp whoops something strange happened here everyone up and disappeared" reason, mind.

Oh, that's cool. I wasn't aware of that book and research. Thanks.

Also, I want to correct something in the latest video: there is no Mass Effect armour in Dead Space 1. It's the XBOX360 armour I was using: http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Hazard_Engineer_RIG:_Elite_Class

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wait, drat, if the Roanoke colony was assimilated by local First Nation groups, does that mean that this comparison was even more intentional? Like, the people on the ship were assimilated by the necromorphs? Is EA comparing First Nations to necromorphs?!?! :stonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the cycle of rebirth! Altman be praised!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Altman be praised.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Curb stomp every foe to reveal fabulous prizes. I think that was one of the oddities of DS; fighting produces delicious prizes, which is sort of counter to survival horror logic, but wonderful fun.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Okay this game keeps making me laugh, I was trying hard not to wake folks up when they were doing the Star Trek bridge-is-getting-hosed thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CJacobs posted:

They made her facial features "prettier" (thinner jaw, lower forehead etc), made her bust bigger (or just got rid of her bra I guess), and didn't just slap a V-neck on her, it may as well be a U-neck. They also made her skin tone lighter, and it's not just because she's in the darkness in the left shot; in Dead Space 2 she was more "ambiguously brown" and in this game she's more "white person with a nice tan". She actually does get a much better outfit later on, but then it gets worse again before the end so they don't get any points for it.

Like, Dead Space 2 didn't go out of its way to emphasize that Ellie is a pretty lady (she was definitely designed that way as the female lead in both games though), but boy does this game put it right up front.

Well in DS2 her design was basically "Female Isaac", with not much care given to her appearance. She's covered in blood and soot, has her eye gouged out, and spends more time swearing than posing. She was designed as a character rather than eye candy. It's disheartening to see what they did to her in this game.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Well in DS2 her design was basically "Female Isaac", with not much care given to her appearance. She's covered in blood and soot, has her eye gouged out, and spends more time swearing than posing. She was designed as a character rather than eye candy. It's disheartening to see what they did to her in this game.

I'll agree to that. I liked Ellie a lot more in DS2.

CJacobs posted:

It's the cycle of rebirth! Altman be praised!

This filthy Heresy has to stop. I don't know if I should go full Catholic or full Imperial Creed to oppose it.

… gently caress it, I'll do both.

For God and the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, I shall see this Heresy most foul and Treason against Humanity stamped out.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Delta Green posted:

I'll agree to that. I liked Ellie a lot more in DS2.

This filthy Heresy has to stop. I don't know if I should go full Catholic or full Imperial Creed to oppose it.

… gently caress it, I'll do both.

For God and the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, I shall see this Heresy most foul and Treason against Humanity stamped out.

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

tlarn posted:

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Altman guideth this poster, praise be upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

tlarn posted:

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

… Yes, I am. So are you, good sir.

And so is Blind Sally down there.

Blind Sally posted:

Altman guideth this poster, praise be upon them.

Goddamn Heretics, Apostates and Heathens.

What would Dash Rendar think of your betrayal, Sally?

• Locked thread