Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dash Rendar is known by many names. Michael Altman is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blind Sally posted:

No! This is impossible! I'm searching my feelings and I'm not knowing it to be true!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

No! This is impossible! I'm searching my feelings and I'm not knowing it to be true!

Have you checked between the couch cushions? When I can't find something in my feelings, that's usually the next best place.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Oh my God that loving Ellie design. Jesus wept.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Did they forget she lost an eye?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Obliterati posted:

Did they forget she lost an eye?

Actually, no! One of the first text logs you find details how Isaac bought Ellie a replacement eye, and the surgery for it. Equally pissed about the redesign, I especially didn't get on with that top, because you'll notice it's not only tight enough to hug the breasts, it actually supports them. Nyuh huh. Right. Okay, it's sexy. Can we please have the character back though?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
At least the weapon crafting system was somewhat cool. It lets you do interesting things later on in the game. Ever use a force gun with maxed out damage that can fire as fast as you can mash the right bumper? Heh heh heh...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JamieTheD posted:

Okay, it's sexy. Can we please have the character back though?

This is what upsets me the most about it. :sigh:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

HAHA! A BLATANT LIE! Dash Rendar believes in nothing other than Dash Rendar! He couldn't possibly be Michael Altman, who believes in Markers as Divine things!

Dash Rendar and the God-Emperor of Man frown upon your blatant Apostasy, Sally. Turn back, there is still time for you to be redeemed!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The markers are scattered remnants of The Outrider.

All will be made clear when I publish my Chronicles Of Riddick/Dead Space crossover fanfic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, Ellie was really good in DS2. Another thing I liked is there really wasn't direct romantic subtext to their relationship in DS2; it was more that Ellie was DS1 Isaac but with DS2 Isaac around, you know? She was the intelligent, resourceful mining company employee fighting her way through all this crap while a crazy guy tells her it's all about weird alien artifacts, and that alone was enough to explain Isaac's desperate desire to get her out alive, at least. She was him, about 3 years back, and it was great.

Sure, she was designed to be attractive in DS2 but so was Isaac in his own way. It was the sort of Hollywood Everyman Attractive you get just by virtue of how people are designed for fiction, rather than whatever the hell we go here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I've got a bad feeling about this..." Riddick said, adjusting his cyber goggle things that he wears I dunno I haven't seen a Riddick movie in like 10 years.

Isaac chuckled. "Here's where the fun begins," he said, aiming his plasma cutter at nothing because he had to use kinesis to open a door for some dumb reason. Behind the door there were necromorphs. Riddick did some sick kung fu on them.

end

Night10194 posted:

Sure, she was designed to be attractive in DS2 but so was Isaac in his own way. It was the sort of Hollywood Everyman Attractive you get just by virtue of how people are designed for fiction, rather than whatever the hell we go here.

Gunner Wright is not too bad lookin in real life either~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OW-3uj9ODw&t=17s

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 12, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gunner Wright does a fantastic job as Isaac, by the way. Like, even in DS3 he still manages to get Isaac's frustration and exhaustion across really well.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Night10194 posted:

Gunner Wright does a fantastic job as Isaac, by the way. Like, even in DS3 he still manages to get Isaac's frustration and exhaustion across really well.

I still liked the series better when he didn't have a face and VA. Having a semi-mute protagonist dealing with the death of his girlfriend at the hands of space horrors was still a significant twist at the end of the first game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Mute protagonists are terrible though. Like in Dead Space 1, when you encounter the Necros at the start and are watching them about to murder the hell out of your group, Isaac just stands there like an idiot instead of shouting "HOLY poo poo GUYS LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isaac being mute in Dead Space 1 makes the first person objective logs much funnier because it shows that he as a character within the game world is aware of the events separate from your perspective as the player; but he never says anything in the journals out loud because they went the Gordon Freeman route where people conveniently interrupt questions asked directly at him before he has a chance to answer. I'm not much a fan of silent protagonists, especially in a third person game, because Isaac's not supposed to be a surrogate for you even in DS1, he's just Isaac. I think it worked out fine in the end, but I just like him having a voice better.

Unfortunately Isaac having a voice opens him up to all kinds of dumb plot drama which we will see in the coming chapters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isaac starts talking in DS2 after realizing how much bullshit keeping his trap shut caused in DS1. That's my explanation.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My personal theory is that Isaac was constantly talking the whole way through DS1, but since his helmet was stuck on no one could hear him

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crane Fist posted:

My personal theory is that Isaac was constantly talking the whole way through DS1, but since his helmet was stuck on no one could hear him

"Aw crap, was my mic on mute this whole time?"

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The first game always felt off to me because he was so quiet. There were lots of scenes where his girlfriend is speaking to him and he just sits there quietly, when any sane person would be screaming, "Holy poo poo honey, just shut up about all this mumbo jumbo and get over here so we can leave!"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The first game always felt off to me because he was so quiet. There were lots of scenes where his girlfriend is speaking to him and he just sits there quietly, when any sane person would be screaming, "Holy poo poo honey, just shut up about all this mumbo jumbo and get over here so we can leave!"

Also when he finally realizes the truth about Nicole, since he's a silent protag all he can do is hang his head slightly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flawed though the games may be (especially the third), they never really failed when it came to acting. Gunner Wright is especially great.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I have a funny story about why I like Dead Space 3:

There was this cartoon I was watching at the time, or rather like two years before it came out because it was delayed three times in two seasons. When Dead Space 3 comes out, the last six or seven episodes are being releases, but only every other week. I didn't like Dead Space games but I did want to know where the markers came from. So I'm checking the wiki, various forums and youtube trying to find something to spoil what happens and I find some references to the brother moons.

I just about lose my mind because this cartoon show also had some 'cosmic horror' stuff to it and the show and the game start blurring together.

Dead Space 3 is a much better game when you add the tension and suspense of Scooby Doo to it.

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 13, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

Dash Rendar is known by many names. Michael Altman ISAAC CLARKE is one of them.

Fix'd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BMS posted:

Fix'd.

He is risen!

Atlman Rendar be praised! :catholic:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BMS posted:

Fix'd.

So this is what it's like to have your LP peak in episode 2

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Delta Green posted:

For God and the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, I shall see this Heresy most foul and Treason against Humanity stamped out.

By Vectron's claw they shall not get away with this!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In Vectron's name, so be it!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

In Vectron's name, so be it!

Um, I know this is going to sound... odd, but what is Vectron, exactly?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

Fix'd.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chiasaur11 posted:

He's Vectron! You know, he of the golden wings?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chiasaur11 posted:

Ask nine-gear crow. I'm pretty sure if was he who found the ancient scrolls.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, aside from the praising of Altman, I did like the game (gameplay wise). Coop was fun as well, also because Carver assholing at Isaac is never not entertaining. But it's fun to play, and the coop missions are great as well. The only downside is that they greatly reduce your kinesis abilities to do the really fun stuff. But overpowered custom guns kind of make up for it.

But I have questions about how what happened with Altman actually went down. I never read the book, but I don't think it goes exactly the way you say it does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bman in 2288 posted:

But I have questions about how what happened with Altman actually went down. I never read the book, but I don't think it goes exactly the way you say it does.

Well, Dead Space: Martyr tell the story of how the first Marker was uncovered on Earth, buried deep in the sand beneath the water in the gulf of Mexico. DredgerCorp co-operates with Altman, whose POV the story is told through, to erect an underwater dig site on the coast and uncover it. After a long span of time, they finally do so, and Altman assumes control of the operation.

A lot of the story is spent studying the Marker and its effects on the people working at the dig site-turned-research site, and of course about 2/3rds of the way through, someone kills someone else from pure nutso bonkers-ness and a necromorph outbreak happens in the facility. Altman, seeing what Markers are REALLY for after witnessing the carnage, flees the necromorph-filled facility at first, but then decides that it's too dangerous and that if the facility was left standing then the necromorphs would escape to the mainland. He goes back into the facility alone and detonates some super evil failsafes that are devised to sink the place deep into the ocean and take the Marker back down with it, but before he can flush the genetic code harvested from the Marker, it is stolen from him and he is knocked out.

When he awakens, he's being laughed at by a group of radical unitologist dickweeds who have stripped him of his gear and equipment and put him in an antechamber barred by thick glass walls. They reveal that they think the Marker is divine, and throughout the story there have been hushed undertones of stuff like that, but finally the guys have revealed themselves. But they know that with Altman still alive to tell its real secrets, the Marker's true ~divinity~ can never be realized by mankind, so they trap him in the antechamber with a super fiesty necromorph (they give him a spoon with which to defend himself) and watch him die. While the fight happens they sit back and pop open some wine, celebrating the leader of the group's idea to use Altman's death to make him a Dead Space: Martyr and pretend he was a prophet that inspired the cult of Unitology.

Dead Space: Martyr takes place hundreds and hundreds of years before Dead Space, even hundreds of years before the events of the prologue of this game, but the implication is that is that they then take the genetic codes they stole from Altman and hand them over to their Overseer who then passes it down to the next and so on and so on until hundreds of years later when they reach the current Overseer, the still-unseen (in the games, anyway) person at the head of the marker test sites on places like Titan Station and Earth's moon. The codes are then extracted from Isaac's head inbetween Dead Space 1 and 2 (see: eye poke machine) and the two are combined to basically hypnotize the poor guy (well, all 5 patients in the test lab, Stross included) into making the Marker on Titan Station.

It's a pretty grim book.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So... Then what actually started the unitology stuff? The marker itself?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

whowhatwhere posted:

So... Then what actually started the unitology stuff? The marker itself?

Yeah! The insanity and dementia spread by the Marker are actually it sending out a signal that urges people to further spread its influence, so that it can assume control of their minds and turn them into necromorphs which then assist in taking its signal further and further et cetera. The reason the Unitologists in Dead Space: Martyr believe the Marker to be divine is because it told them it was, so that they would spread its influence. Utilizing Altman's death and manipulation of EarthGov, they made it look like it really WAS divine because they otherwise would be laughed at like usual conspiracy nuts. By the 2500s, Unitology is a real established and institutionalized religion much like Christianity or Catholicism. it's just that, by the time Dead Space 3 takes place, they've gone a little nuts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 13, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's the Dead Space timeline as it currently exists, rewritten from the Dead Space wiki's page on it. So, if you ever wanted to know the major important Dead Space lore, just read this big post and it'll fill you in on the story so far. I paraphrased some of the less important parts but this is the gist of it:

Prehistoric era: The black Marker supposedly crash lands on Earth, making a crater huge enough that it eventually terraforms into the Chicxulub crater in the Gulf of Mexico that also exists on real life Earth. Nobody knows what year this happened but according to local legend, the Marker has been down there as long as humans have.

Late 2100s: Altman is born, DredgerCorp is founded

2214: Altman and his girlfriend Ada move to the Chicxulub crater and in co-operation with DredgerCorp dig up the Marker. Only bad things can ever come of this. The events of Dead Space: Martyr happen and Altman becomes a Dead Space: Martyr in the name of Unitology, but not before he manages to sink the Marker.

2314: The prologue of Dead Space 3 happens. Simultaneously, back on Earth, EarthGov uses the codes yanked from Altman to reverse-engineer an imperfect Black Marker, known as the Red Marker because of its color and the material it's made out of. There's nowhere they can test it on Earth, so they ship it out with a research team to the newly discovered planet Aegis VII. Horrible things happen, but not before researchers manage to use the Marker to create the first recombinant microbial life form (GRIBBLIES). EarthGov takes this as a sign of the Marker being a potentially infinite source of energy, because they're stupid.

2315: The first Aegis VII outbreak happens and the entire colony is basically murdered by necromorphs. The Red Marker pedestal is created in a hurry to contain the quickly spreading necromorph outbreak and the research team on the colony fire it, killing themselves but forcing the Red Marker into dormancy, trapping the Hive Mind deep within the planet.

2446: The Ishimura launches for the first time and the Resource Wars begin on Earth. Curse you, Big Oil. Planet Crackers descend upon unsuspecting and uninhabited planets to mine them for valuable resources that are then utilized for advancing space travel technology in hopes of finding somewhere else for the human race to continue, because Earth is almost done at this point.

2465: :siren:Isaac is born!:siren: It is a great day for steel-toed boot manufacturers everywhere.

2505: The CEC illegally enters the Aegis Cluster, which has been condemned by EarthGov to prevent anyone from ever uncovering the failed Marker test site on Aegis VII. Aegises 1-6 are all mined and turned into shelled husks and then the CEC makes a colony on Aegis VII, basically dooming the lives of tens of thousands of people.

2508: The CEC initiate the planet crack on Aegis VII, which uncovers the Marker and the Hive Mind from their sandy tomb like the ark of the fuckin covenant or something. Since the CEC is in the Aegis cluster illegally, they don't radio back to EarthGov to tell them what they've found, which doesn't really matter because EarthGov would deny its existence anyway. The colony starts experiencing the same insanity and dementia that the previous colony went through because of their closeness to the Marker, and of course, poo poo goes awry almost immediately and the colony is swarmed by necromorphs directed to reproduce by the now-awake Hive Mind. The Marker, in an attempt to save it from being destroyed by the rabid colonists, is brought aboard the ship and put in storage.

2508, again: The events of Dead Space: Extraction happen as Ishimura buddies Gabe and Lexine Weller attempt to extract themselves from the Aegis cluster while everything goes to poo poo around them. Surprisingly, they make it out alive! Good for them!

More 2508: A few weeks later, the events of Dead Space 1 happen! Not even 2 days after the outbreak began, Isaac, Kendra, Hammond and the redshirts arrive in its airspace in the Kellion. Kendra knows what's going on, but everyone else has been sent to their demise. As an undercover agent of EarthGov, she's been sent to recover the Marker and take it back to Earth. As we know from her body parts being splattered all over the place, the Hive Mind was not having any of that. Isaac escapes in a battered and busted-up escape shuttle, leaving the Marker behind as the cork of the cracked planet fell down on top of it, destroying the whole thing and burying the Marker in sand and debris once more.

Between 2508 and 2509: Isaac is discovered aboard the fuel-less escape shuttle by a Pleasure Cruiser ship in the Yothei system, lightyears away from the Aegis colony. The poor guy is basically gibbering and insane when he's scooped up by EarthGov, who detect the transmission and quickly kidnap him. They take him to Titan Station, where they imprison him along with the other four or so people who have come in direct contact with a Marker and survived. They use the genetic codes stolen from Altman now hundreds of years ago to root through Isaac's brain and extract all the information they need to build a new, near-perfect Marker. Over the course of the next 3 years, they do so.

2511: The events of Dead Space 2 happen. The Site 12 Marker, along with Titan Station, are destroyed. Isaac and Ellie are literally the only survivors of the entire incident and EarthGov believes them to be dead, so they go into hiding on Earth's moon. For about 3 years Isaac stares at the Marker test site literally visible from his apartment window and does nothing, very slowly going nuts-er because of his proximity to it and his past history being touched by them. Ellie leaves Isaac to his devices because she gets tired of him moping around. What the gently caress.

2514: John Carver's wife, a data archaeologist assigned to the planet Uxor to study the Shroud Marker, discovers SHOCKING SECRETS THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE!!. The events of Dead Space: Liberation occur, wherein Danik's radical Unitology group assaults Uxor in an attempt to 'free' the Marker from its test site shackles just as they do on Earth's moon in chapter 1 of this game. They are successful, and the EarthGov forces are wiped out by necromorphs because this is a Dead Space game and therefore the military is completely useless. Damara refuses to give up her information on where the "Marker home world" could potentially be, so Danik kills her and plans to steal it. Meanwhile, Ellie and company have joined the fight on Uxor, seeking out Damara so they can ask her about said research. Little do they know, she's already dead, and by the time Carver leads them home, Damara and their son have already turned into necromorphs, so he has to put them down. Ellie covertly takes the research but discovers it was written in Marker script by Damara in a last-ditch effort to keep it from being read by EarthGov and needs to be decoded, and there's only one person she knows who can read Marker script.........

2515: Ellie hyperspace-jumps to the airspace of the mysterious place mentioned, and as I will mention in the next video, Damara's research never comes up again and instead the game makes up some other reason for Isaac to be contacted by Norton and Carver. Then the events of this game finally happen!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I've said it several times before in other threads but allow me to repeat myself: gently caress whoever "redesigned" Ellie for DS3..

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The implication is that the Black Marker was special in some way, in addition to the "GO CRAZY MAKE NECROMORPHS YEE HAW!" signal there was one that worked counter to the Necromorphs. The one that Isaac saw as Nicole telling him to put the marker back on the pedestal and stop the hive mind. The Red and Gold markers have no such protection and are basically just fast-tracks to a convergence event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dr. Tough posted:

The ship name isn't that bad, there's a bunch of things named "Roanoke" that haven't mysteriously disappeared.

According to a quick search on Wikipedia, the most ominous thing to happen to a ship name Roanoke was when it was renamed partway through construction ("Lorain", perhaps someone could make a cutting joke about Ohio) and accidently hit a left-over WWII mine in 1950.

Basically, you can do worse things than name your spaceship "Roanoke". Like, you could name it "Lorain".

• Locked thread