Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
You know, honestly? I think this is my favorite of the Dead Space games. The first two were clearly very solid attempts at making a survival horror game in space, and I respect that a lot, but neither of them really succeeded in being scary, I thought. For me, it's way scarier having the anticipation of something happening, rather than actually seeing it there in front of you, and neither of Dead Spaces 1 and 2 waste any time in showing you the big freaky monsters right off the bat, or give you any time to build a sort of foreboding atmosphere. That being said, I did love the first appearance of the Stalkers in Dead Space 2, what with them staying hidden, and you only ever seeing a little bit of them poking out before they suddenly shriek and come at you out of nowhere. So, anyways, if your horror game isn't all that scary, where do you go? You go dumb. You go the Resident Evil path of becoming so beautifully stupid that it becomes transcendent, and I think Dead Space 3 hit that dead-on.

Elton John.
Norton love triangle.
Necromorph Rapture.

I want to stop on that last one and meditate on the fact that convergence, this thing that we've been hearing about through all of Dead Space 2, that was hinted about in Dead Space 1 (make us whole), is the necromorph rapture, where all the zombie monsters fly up into the sky and become spare parts for the new god. It's sort of a Xenogears-esque take on Gnostic Christianity.

Anyways, I really liked it. The only part I could really complain about is that pretty much all of the side-missions were terrible, just tossing hordes of enemies at you all running in a straight line, but it was my own fault for playing those, I think.

CJacobs and crew, thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gentlemen, welcome to Dubai.

• Locked thread