Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Oh boy, this game. Gameplay-wise, it seems like a step up, but the story and characters did not sit right with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Do they ever explain how Evil Liberace was able to take over Earth before this game or is it just something that happened in-between sequels like Ellie and Issac apparently hooking up and having a messy breakup?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, I think part of the reason it's still nuts is that Dead Space Earth is consuming so much resources that planet cracking is only barely keeping up with supply and demand. There's still too many people wanting too much stuff, so more and more planet cracking needs to occur.

Which still makes no sense to anybody with the barest sense of scale. Even if humanity ballooned up to over ten times what we currently have, they'd be set for centuries from the remains of one earth-like planet. They'd have to be deliberately trying to waste resources to run out that fast.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Red Marker is just as man made as the Gold one. The Black Marker was the only one not human made seen. The story is just jumbled because it wasn't planned out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I think that's what disappoints me the most about Dead Space's setting. If it had been written by one of the great horror or sci-fi writers out there, it could've been loving incredible. Instead it started off pretty darn good and then quickly spiraled into mediocrity, which is a shame. What bothers me more than anything about this game and to an extent the Dead Space universe in general is that it's really easy to see that it could've been good, and then it just, like, wasn't.

Disregarding my beef with planet busting as a business, I agree that it could have been really good if it had been fully thought-out. Unfortunately, to make time for almost yearly sequels, world-building was tossed aside for whatever random stuff the writers could slap together and try to pass off as a narrative.

'Course, they would still have to content with this game's crappy character and story ideas like Evil Liberace basically taking over the government or Issac and Elly's sudden relationship drama both happening offscreen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Monocled Falcon posted:

I don't think Dead Space 3 should have been a survival horror game. Issac and the audience know too much about necromorphs to be horrified of them anymore. Most of the plot blunders come as much from trying to set up a scenario like the first two games as anything else.

Nothing wrong with people wanting more of the same style of gameplay they enjoy. It's just sad that Dead Space had a lot of neat ideas that could have probably been better expanded on in genres outside the one it was created in.

I think it could still work as survival horror if they'd switch protagonists completely. Say, stick with that rookie from the prologue. Issac is a too desensitized to undead alien monsters now, but a young solider freaking out as his superiors screw him over would do nicely.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

1stGear posted:

Its worth noting that Ellie didn't just shout at Isaac that he owed her a new eye. She shouted at Isaac that he owed her a new eye while holding the screwdriver that had removed it WHILE HER EYE WAS STILL IMPALED ON THE BLADE.

She then proceeded to beat the poo poo out the guy who stabbed her, help Isaac break into a heavily defended government facility, and then come back and rescue Isaac when he got all emo and wanted to die. Dead Space 2 Ellie is basically the best.

Which is why what happened to her for this game is such a shame. Being reduced from a highly competent partner with no need for any sort of romantic overtones to cliche love triangle center.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Aw, I want to see Issac's floating dismembered pelvis fulfill its destiny and become the true hero of the game. I guess that the poor dialogue finished the job that the bombs couldn't.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

The NPC's also tend to forget that before being one of/the only survivor of multiple Necromorph Outbreaks Isaac was a certified space engineer for the big space engineering firm.

I need to run through Dead Space 2 again but I think he was pretty high up there too... First Class Engineer or something?

Point is there's a reason the games have Isaac fix everything by himself: (aside from GAMEPLAY) it's his job and he's rather good at it!

Issac was trained to handle any mechanical issue that could crop up on a ship designed to rip chunks out of planets. Considering the mind-bogglingly huge number of problems that entails, it's really no wonder adjusting to space zombies wasn't too tough for him.

chitoryu12 posted:

Remember how Dead Guy #25 mouthed off to Isaac for telling him how to do his job when they got that new engine? And how the exact problem Isaac told him to prevent with the oxygen whatsits caused the fire he predicted?

I think it's more that Isaac has been paired up with a lot of egotistical assholes who aren't as smart as they think they are and ignore advice or criticism as a slight against them. So....not much different from real life.

For an engineer, having your advice ignored and being forced to fix the problems caused by people ignoring your advice is a fact of life. Issac's had to be feeling right at home then.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

I still say this is such a gigantic missed opportunity by the designers. Have Isaac start off with a badass plasma cutter that can just rip poo poo apart, and uses plasma energy. Then, when you dump him into space via minefield, oh poo poo none of this ancient bullshit has plasma energy, it's all generic power cells that can't work with the plasma cutter.

Put a bench in the first room, have Isaac cobble together that lovely machine pistol, and never drop another piece of plasma energy for the rest of the game.

Smart players would bust the plasma gun into pieces, and use the bits that are close enough to build something functional as a backup.
Sperg players (Like me!) would keep the Plasma Cutter in reserve for the entire game, and then pull it out with 15 shots to cheese the final boss. :v:

Plus, you could sell a DLC pack that lets you craft (insanely expensive) plasma energy packs and laugh at necromorphs for the whole game. It's such a simple concept, it would fit perfectly with the tone the game is trying to set, and it would actually make sense in the lore instead of the stupid handwavy crap the designers did.

The whole premise of the series is that Issac isn't a solider, he's an engineer. He's not trained or equipped for traditional fights. He isn't even wielding anything intended to be a weapon, just slightly modified (ridiculously dangerous) mining/repair tools that happen to be effective when pitted against an enemy that only stops attacking if mangled beyond repair. Forcing him to stop relying on the old reliable stuff and cobble together gear from salvaged junk would bring the series back to its roots in my opinion. It'd be easier to justify the universal ammo that way too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately I was misremembering and they all list 255, even one super bulky one we'll get later, but it's still a neat and pretty useless detail regardless.

Which is weird because you'd think weight could be very important in combat in a snowy area.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I thought they explained body shots being next to worthless as Necromorphs not really having anything like vital organs in there to damage. When you rip their limbs off, you're basically rendering them more or less helpless, causing the infection to basically "give up" on them and leave them to be recycled later. You aren't so much killing Necromorphs as you are rendering them dormant by tearing them apart. Limbs are just the most convenient targets when you need to remove something from the body.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Azran posted:

Is there a log or something somewhere that implies necromorphs just get recycled back? Just out of curiosity, not :spergin: lore adherence.

I don't remember where, but I think it was said that any bodies not in good enough condition to become individual necromorphs are broken down to be used as parts of bigger necros. That the creepy flesh growths that cover the walls.

Night10194 posted:

If the Co-Op partner had been Ellie, do you think she would've stayed DS2 Ellie?

Well, there might still be annoying relationship drama, but at least she'd be shooting up mutilated corpse monsters in between.

Neruz posted:

Isaac has been through nearly three entire games of everything trying to kill him; he has completely acclimatized himself to life-threatening danger.

Which is why they really should have swapped him out. He's too jaded to be scared, just annoyed about all this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The movies, the books, and the games all have different writing teams and so continuity between them can sometimes be sparse. The games mostly had the same writing staff until the transition between 2 and 3 in which EA was like "hey Visceral do you like being totally hosed over by us? oh well sorry to hear that lol".

Though one of the head writers for the first game did leave Visceral after it was over to work on Binary Domain. He had this to say about 3:

Which I think is kinda funny.

By the way, what I said in the episode about sales can be backed up by EA's Labels president Frank Gibeau:

The game sold about 600k in its first month which EA said was disappointing to them, so it didn't exactly meet their standards despite having a pretty goddamn big opening sales rush! In fact it was the highest-selling AAA video game in the month it came out. That said, Visceral has stated that there is probably more Dead Space coming so who knows! Maybe we'll get lucky and it won't be bad!

I knew EA was in the habit of screwing over its game designers, especially at that time as Mass Effect 3 showed, but it is nice to get an idea on just how bad it was.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Uh Ellie, you want to maybe jump in here? Your friend is in pretty serious trouble Ellie. No? Just gonna kind of passively stand there and not say anything at all? Ellie?

Hellooooooo? Anybody home?

Silly poster, Ellie traded in her nerve for her new wardrobe. She's in full on "neutral female"/"damsel in distress" mode for the duration.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I didn't articulate it very well in the video but yeah that's also something I like. DS2 Ellie's absolute most important character trait that is absent in DS3 is that Ellie actually fights necromorphs. In DS3, she fights precisely 0 necromorphs at all in the entire game. Whereas DS2 Ellie demonstrates very early on that she can hold her own, DS3 Ellie runs from necromorphs until she meets up with other characters who then take care of the necromorphs for her.

edit: Speaking of games with amazing female protagonists, I'm starting an LP of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 because that game is loving fantastic! Expect a thread on it in a couple days.

Unlike Issac, the Markers never bother to screw with her head, either. It took crappy writers dredging up all the cliches they could for "mass appeal" to bring her down. :sigh:

Honestly, I always wonder why we don't run into more survivors. Issac's gimmick is that he's not supposed to be suited for all this, but keeps trudging along. Why aren't there more people fighting the undead with power tools? The necros are vicious, but they can't wipe out everyone so quickly.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

1stGear posted:

I really enjoy Nicole in Dead Space 2. They pretty much nailed the perfect "ex-girlfriend who's still really into you but also kind of hates you and deals with this cognitive dissonance by constantly nagging you and is also a ghost and/or schizophrenic hallucination".

In reality, DS2 was an abnormally gory episode of Jerry Springer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zain posted:

Dead Space 2 was really well written. I still contest though that the writing kinda jumped sharply from what the markers are from 1 to 2 but that could just be my interpretation of it's use in 1.

Not really. The writers admitted that thy didn't even have an ending written until late in development. It's not nearly as bad as the situation with Mass Effect 3 l, but similar. It's still better than the terrible cliches and stereotypes that made up DS3, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

1stGear posted:

To be fair, this is kind of great in a Lovecraftian, humanity-is-completely-insignificant-on-a-cosmic-scale kind of way.

Agreed. For all the grief I give this game, it does hit the creepy Lovecraft decently enough. Sure, the necro-moon are essentially the same as the Reapers from Mass Effect, but at least they presumably won't have a glowing little boy that bosses them around retconned in.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I can see the idea of destroying all evidence of the Marker's existence, but wouldn't it be better to leave detailed warnings so the governments of the future wouldn't be blindsided by these evil rocks and stop poking at them? Maybe even being willing to shut down, say, a crazed cult worshipping the things before they become ludicrously powerful?

As it stands, all Mahad accomplished was delaying the undead moon's reawakening by two hundred years and providing a lot of corpses to be resurrected as undead horrors later.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Yeah! In fact, I'm going to be doing two side by side playthroughs of it! One in single player with blind sally and nine gear crow, and a live one in co-op with JamietheD where I'm playing as Carver; because things are actually different for once!

No, they like literally were standing in the elevator for 5 minutes. Carver just imagined the whole side mission. That's why Isaac doesn't say anything the whole time!

Isaac's "some things are better left buried right Carver?" was probably just a dig at Carver dragging him far off of the critical path to stand in an elevator doing nothing for 5 minutes. But like I said in the video, Isaac probably figures Carver's going through the same poo poo he went through and is just letting him work it out on his own.

You'd think he'd at least try to snap him out of the delusions. Coaching him about exactly what the Marker's doing to him and how to get through it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

WFGuy posted:

One minor issue I do have with Dead Space 2 is that they didn't use all five steps as metaphor for grief. Still, I think it's a pretty good twist, and the idea that Nicole is only hostile to him because he hasn't come to terms with his guilt and grief is an interesting one.

And to be fair, he has pretty good reason not to have gotten over it yet. He only got past denial at the very end of Dead Space 1 when Kendra forced him to rewatch the entire suicide note, and he was put into an amnesiac work-coma pretty quickly after that. He's basically been in combat or eldritch terror almost the entire time since then, and he's only had a few hours to actually think about her.

But anyway, the most important thing to take away from this episode is that Ellie is a stone-cold badass.

Well, Ellie used to be a badass, anyway. That was before the limitations of last gen consoles keeping her out of her rightful Player 2 spot and the new writing team got through with her.

Well, I'd like the idea of Nicole's hallucination being just Issac's guilt, but I'm not sure it pans out in the end. We're almost to the point where the writing staff started to feel the time crunch and the storyline falls apart.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

I really didn't expect Dead Space to suddenly have what are effectively undead lovecraftian elder gods floating around in space and for a whole ten minutes after I found out I was really pleased because that was a great twist, then I actually started paying attention to what was going on and everything was ruined forever.

To be fair, the series always had a lot Lovecraft overtones of with the evil insanity obelisks that people basically worship and monsters made of former people that seem guided by a mysterious purpose. With all that talk of "make us whole" and the Hive Mind from the first game, I was expecting something like this, though obviously not to this scale. I know the writing was made up on the fly for the entire series, but the Brother Moon concept seems like it could have been planned from day one.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

You know, the Reapers in Mass Effect were created almost the same way, an AI turned on its creators, the Leviathons and turned almost the entire species into a Reaper, Harbinger infact, and from there more Reapers were created by assimilating entire races to create a single Reaper, the smaller Reaper Destroyers were made out of lesser races, the gigantic ones, the dominant ones, the Brethren Moons and Reapers have similar methods in eradicating life but the Reapers have a purpose, save organic life by preserving it while the Moons just want to kill everything for the sake of it.

True, but I still like this idea better. The Reaper's retconned purpose is pretty incoherent. If it had been their form of breeding like with the Brother Moons in this game or an arrogant way of elevating "lesser" beings to their level, it'd have been much easier to swallow than "we kill you with synthetics to stop synthetics from killing you at some hypothetical point".

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 6, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Mass Effect 3's ending is also what happens when you run into deadline issues and are forced to cobble something together at the 11th hour,, a fate which befalls many games thesedays. :smith:

Deadline issues are one thing, but getting to the last three months of development without having an ending planned (or worse here as they did have a coherent ending that was tossed for reasons I still don't understand) with anything resembling proper time management. Sure, EA was rushing them at a ridiculous pace, but that was just a mess.

As for my spoilers, I am sorry. I will avoid anything more until I see the videos.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

pkfan2004 posted:

Dead Space 3 has been like listening to this brilliant artist show off their exhibits and work. And they're legitimately talented! They take you down the hall and show you sweeping murals of alien worlds and old cities buried in caves beneath ice and snow. They've got figurines and dolls posed delicately behind glass in cabinets in the hall they sculpted by hand. They did model work on sci-fi movies and they've got these dioramas of ships being torn apart by meteors and robotic soldiers fighting wars and you can just stoop down and explore the fine details all day if you had the time. Imagine spending an evening at H.R. Giger's house sipping tea and talking about his art.

And then the brilliant artist smiles and says "well hey, if you think this stuff is good, then you'd really like my writing". And you're a polite guest and say "sure, I'd like to see some of that too." So they take you down the hall, and they have a study with a book shelf and a computer and soft, comfortable chairs. And you sit down with the artist and they read you something that they've been working on.

And it's garbage. It's terrible. Hackneyed, cliche-ridden, possibly offensive. And you're stuck here listening to this crap and you're desperately ignoring everything they're saying and thinking about alien robots and beautiful wreckage fields and provocative moon slums until you just can't anymore and fake being tired so you can go home politely. And it taints everything else. You can't expect an artist to be good at all artistic mediums, that's ridiculous. But they think that's the best part. They think it's better than anything else they do so well. They think "yeah my art's alright but my writing and plot is really where it's at." And it taints your experience visiting them and enjoying your art.

Agreed. This game has great art and impressive settings, but the writing is such terrible, phoned in imitation of Hollywood cliche garbage that you can't appreciate the good elements.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Monocled Falcon posted:

Something I read about another game, which fits Dead Space 3 well, is that "you can learn more about what makes a good game good from looking at a bad game than a good game". Dead Space 3 had a lot of bad decisions but you could kinda tell why they made them.

The eye thing is a pretty good example, they wanted to replace her eye, but wanted to acknowledge that it was missing. No real reason too but to simplify the character model and build the world a little bit by showing they can replace eyes. So what did they do? Change the replacement's color and bury the explanation in a easily overlooked text log far before the player sees her again.

It really seems like the villains here were executives demanding "mass appeal" (i.e. faster paced action, strapped together guns, and plot elements lifted from whatever movie they liked) without realizing what made the game appealing in the first place or if the new elements fit together at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zain posted:

You know at the very least the DLC ending might be something that might not have happened or whatever. Either way the game still could have in theory room for a sequel hidden in there.

I'm still surprised that Mass Effect is getting a 4th installment. I mean hell 50% of the endings are "Reapers are our buddies now" the big bad is defeated and turned to our side. How the hell are you going to top that poo poo? Don't think the Leviathans are able of putting up a force to invade even if they wanted to.

Basically, you're part of an exploration crew in a new galaxy that launched at some unknown point before the Reaper invasion. That way you can have new space adventures without ever having to acknowledge the stupidity that was ME3's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zain posted:

So you're pretty much doing a whole lot of nothing more or less. Also they're out of the Milky Way Galaxy? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible. The Reapers could only go so far as the dark space slightly beyond the Milky Way. But the writing they did with that was terrible. Like at the end of ME2 they said that the reapers would take 50 years to get there with all the jump drives no longer working for them.

ME3 had a lot of bad writing to justify its war premise. The Reapers plopping onto everyone out of nowhere with all your work to slow or weaken them amounting to nothing was a big part of it. I have a lot of issues with that game.

As for how and why there is a crew and colonies in Andromeda, Bioware has yet to explain. Though any reason to ignore ME3 is a good one to me.

• Locked thread