Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Tofu Survivor posted:

DS3 was... Well, it was a game. I didn't pick it up until the EA bundle because I couldn't justify spending money on a game that was more action than survival horror. I liked the new weapon mechanics, but weirdly enough I was never really able to effectively kill anything with stuff I made compared to the classic weapons. I had an easier time with a Plasma Cutter/Javelin Gun combo on classic than I did with anything I was able to put together.

Of course, that may have been because I have a sick obsession with Seeker Rifle+Shotgun secondary.

All that said, it wasn't really a bad game, it just didn't really feel like a Dead Space game to me.

I could never really take Templeman seriously, though. He's like evil space Elton John.

I felt really disappointed with the uni-ammo and crafting in DS3 after a short while, to be honest. There are indeed quite a few fun things you can do with it, but most of the weapons feel underpowered, the lack of ammo types means the only thing pushing you to use different weapons is novelty, and you can't make a good Line Gun with the Plasma Cutter's rotate function. I've played it two and a bit times because I accompanied one and a bit friends through it in co-op, but for the co-op ones I just said "Here, here's ALL THE MEDIGEL and the parts you need to make a fun weapon from the word go" and went around with an ultimate-power rocket launcher blasting anything threatening me.

Oh, speaking of co-op, CJacobs, will you be showing both players for those? The co-op mechanics are one of the few places I think are genuinely pretty great in DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Pretty much, but I have gotten a strange appreciation for it, just by playing it for so long. The combat is very fun even if the plot is hella stupid, but that's why they make a voice volume slider in the options menu! It's the same situation as Max Payne 3 in a lot of ways: If the cutscenes were skippable, the game would be way way way more tolerable to replay.

That's the best way to play it, but honestly, if you want to play some fun Dead Space action it's waaaaaay simpler to just go with DS2, which I still maintain to be possibly the best action game ever made.

...I may have some slight disappointment issues with DS3.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Funnily enough, the worst multiplayer in Dead Space is actually in DS2, which has a genuine L4D Versus multiplayer mode. Honestly, DS3 isn't awful, it has some seriously great events and environments, and it's kind of amazing that it's even semi-competent considering the horrific developer turnover, but it makes some seriously questionable choices and it's almost always a pretty huge disappointment compared to DS2.

I should probably be quiet about the disappointment and start talking about that like, since I do generally like DS3. It's alraedy had one nice sequence, although the train ending is really finicky on timing, and Episode 2 is going to be GREAT.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Judge Tesla posted:

Dead Space 2 wasn't even going to have a final boss fight, until the playtesters said "Can't wait to see the final boss!", the devs then poo poo themselves and put together that Battle in the Mind thing literally at the 11th hour, or so I remember it anyway.

And the poor devils forgot to test it against the Contact Beam. "Isaaaac, make us-"*VVVT-PEW*

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I would actually like to join in the defence of Dead Space's back-visible oxygen counts and whatnot. Those are pretty clearly for other people to read - if you turn the camera so you can see the top side of his chin guard, you can see it has text running over it. Even if they don't give him a HUD, in theory he can look down and see his suit's readouts.

In any case it's a good thing that you have so much oxygen, because the space segments of DS3 are really pretty and very relaxing. Just as long as you keep moving a bit so that the bulbasaurs can't shoot you and ruin the mood.

Also note, by this point you can see what I mean about medigel. It means almost nothing in DS3, they give you SO MANY health kits you will literally be converting them into gel that you never plan on using by maybe halfway through the game. The only question is how many large health kits you should carry around with you. (Yes, I know they can be used for one or two upgrades, but that's only a little bit and then there is nothing to convert it into whatsoever. The only thing you can do with them is make a ridiculous number of large health kits and do a melee-only run.)

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Neruz posted:

Aren't there Markers everywhere because the Church has been furiously excavating\building as many as they possibly can? I'm not super clear on what the gently caress is happening right now but that was the impression I got when I played through DS3.

Nope, it's not a human planet, there are tons of Markers around because it's the triumphant end to the Dead Space trilogy and thus needs many many Markers... because.

The funny thing is that (kinda spoiler?) only one person in this entire game is going to have any Marker hallucinations, despite being in a location with about a 10000:1 Marker:human ratio. They're hilariously neutered compared to previous games.

EDIT: v Yes, good point, I had forgotten, although the way they show it that seems to be more literal than anything. It's essentially a virus that infects and replicates through other races, and yet they show a genetically viable population's worth of the things, as if it was literally the homeworld of a race of Marker-shaped people. Marker-shaped people with Marker cars, going to their Marker jobs at the Markermart.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 10, 2015

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Samovar posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Alien: Isolation is the game Dead Space tried to be - I do know I was more... scared by that game than by D.S., even though the ending of the former became a bit ridiculous.

I remember getting to the end of Dead Space 1 and finishing up the power nodes in almost all my weapons and rig using the final workbench down there, literally shouting "I AM A GOD OF DEATH" and then finishing off the game with triumphant overkill, so it's not like Dead Space 1 sets a particularly high bar for horror or difficulty even at the second-highest difficulty, as long as you don't mind using kinesis to throw the game's spare ammo to a store, and if you're playing a horror game without hoarding every possible resource then I don't know what you're doing.

The scariest parts of Dead Space have always been the environments - the Ishimura was both beautiful and fantastically crafted for a horror environment, not just aesthetically but with those air vents EVERYWHERE so that you couldn't back yourself up into a corner and see everything - so if the game doesn't take the effort to make them feel dangerous then it's going to be neutered. Isaac is understandably kind of a badass in DS3, he's not himself scared, and none of the other characters are particularly worried (other than Norton saying they should leave at the first opportunity). Nobody's died yet, there isn't any feeling that the necromorph horde is smart enough or capable enough to really threaten you, and there's currently no actual pressure to leave, despite the fact that everyone should be getting pretty hungry after a short while on a ship with no supplies. Isaac's equipped to handle just about anything (he has air and enough health kits to create a bacta tank), he often has a voice in his ear to mitigate any sense of isolation, and he can shuttle himself between the ships at will so there's not even any perceived danger in exploration.

Jump scares like the pinball machine are almost the only thing DS3's tried so far to create any sort of tense atmosphere, and those are mainly scary because of the terrible equalisation (that moment is ludicrously loud, you should all be grateful to CJacobs for reducing that).

To go back to the Alien comparison, we've just seen the Regenerators come back into things, so that's very good, as they're the other horror thing in DS3 so far and probably its closest equivalent to the Alien. They're the only really threatening enemy in the series, and they're generally pretty well done. You get to these sequences when you've loaded up on ammo and you're feeling pretty confident about your necro-killing abilities, but the games quickly invert your confidence and pretty much require you to spend most of that ammo hoard getting away intact, so there's a real feeling that although you're keeping the Regenerator(s) at bay for now, you can't keep it up forever. There's a time constraint, even when you're near a stasis recharge station, so the fact that the tram shuttle arriving is so slow generates a great little harried defence scene. Sadly, DS3 will now immediately intercut with a side mission zone that's 100% Regenerator-free, so it wastes a lot of the momentum built up and it'll have to build that back up later. Presumably this is an effort to give the player some breathing room, but that would be best served by just making the Regenerators take a while to follow you after the tram bit, and the way it's set up here is another mis-step in my opinion.

Also, the Regenerator here first comes after you on the same spot that you met the adorable scavenger bot before, so that's also a pretty nice contrast and a good way to set up the Regenerator as a very bad thing.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Samovar posted:

Note how around 20:30 the subtitles don't even bother capitilzing Tucker's name - that's how unimportant he was.

For a second there I thought Isaac was saying "fucker had some good salvage!"

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

The Wizard of Oz posted:

They just forgot to have this matter in any way whatsoever to the plot at all. It's so plainly a side mission they made non-optional because they didn't want players to miss it that it hurts, and kind of becomes an exemplar of the Dead Space series' rather lousy level narratives, where everything is "Isaac Clarke went up a thing and then he did a thing and then he went down a thing and moved on." They try to mix it up with making the things you go up elevators or trams or shuttles or crawlspaces, but it's very rare that any section isn't built like that. And that sucks, because Dead Space's setpieces are amazing. There's just too much dead space.

Space Texas is entirely optional, if I recall, you can go straight to the aft section from the fore. The plot in fact assumes that you do that, hence why suddenly there's a Regenerator again.

As far as the update itself goes, lesson 1: always have a Torque bar. Just always do it. Like power nodes in the previous games, but less useful, you pretty much always get more out of it than you put in. And lesson 2: Dead Space 3 is a poor imitator of the perfected audio in the original Dead Space. Rooms like the Crozier that are just deafening for no real reason are annoyingly common (and as a reminder, there is some EQ being applied to these now, this is BETTER than normal). You might think you have your audio turned down enough to not have DS3 blow your ears out in painfully loud fire/screamfights, but no, no you don't.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
The space travel is really pretty in DS3, it's a shame when it ends. Cool setpiece, but ohhhh boy, I'm looking forward to the CRITICAL DUMB of the next segment. It's going to be amazing.

Also you make terrible decisions upgrading your kit. Stasis and Kinesis first, always! It's not like you NEED armour with all those health kits.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Stasis modules and small health packs are the bane of your inventory. You never use them nearly enough to justify the amount you pick up.

At least you can convert stasis packs into stasis juice, to juice up your stasis with (like boosting Recharge rate, so you can use even LESS stasis packs and get MORE stasis juice to juice up your stasis with!) at about the right rate for progress in the game, medigel spins out of control so wildly so fast that it's like they assume you're going to be hit by every enemy even on hard difficulties.

Also, Dead Space 3 should have been 90% Isaac the Engineer fixing up ships and mech suits for Ellie the Pilot to pilot. There is very little in Ellie's representation this game that couldn't be fixed by an armoured battle-mech and some machine-sized mining tools.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I thought Neruz was talking about the gameplay mechanics and when we meet Ellie on the Roanoke, not the ending :v:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It was only noticed briefly, but yes, if your partner is down, you can use stasis on them. This is a feature! It slows down their death counter so that you have more time to go over and revive them.

Also, hooray, now I can stop being coy about it: Carver in co-op missions is crazy! It's pretty great, although it's definitely best if you go into it unaware of that. I know people that didn't click it until a few missions in, so it makes a good surprise. I really wish Isaac got some of it too - they use him as the foil consistently, I'm afraid - but I guess he's reached the metastable phase of his rampancy or something.

EDIT: v CJacobs, like many players, doesn't use stasis as much as he probably should, but it's not a big deal in DS3. It's super useful if you're being a scrounger, since you can use the extra time (with a free use every time it recharges) to use melee or kinesis attacks on your enemies instead of valuable rounds, but you aren't really trying to save any particular ammo type in DS3 so that's not as important; more mundanely (but still very useful), it's good for pausing a bulbasaur long enough to shoot its tendrils, or for stopping any other enemy long enough to back away from it, but then I've already covered HOW MANY HEALTH KITS you get in this game so a few stabs aren't too important.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 3, 2015

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I mentioned right near the start of the LP that I got bored after trying out all the different actual weapon combinations (some are 'the same thing but with a slight twist in the stats!') and just made a double-rocket launcher with all the endgame chips, capable of instantly mincing even the toughest upgraded enemies. It's not too difficult to make something ludicrously powerful in DS3, particularly since you don't have to invest all your chips permanently and there's no ammo to worry about.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Welcome to the Critical Dumb segment!

STUPID NUMBER ONE: Isaac is fine with letting his helmet go away and walking into a blizzard with no face protection! The man's an engineer, but he can't be bothered to rig up some kind of rudimentary face mask before / two seconds after stepping 'outside'.

STUPID NUMBER THE SECOND: Isaac's body temperature can drop to SEVEN DEGREES CELSIUS and he'll be perfectly fine for running around as long as he gets to a heat source immediately afterwards. The entire body temperature thing is delightfully dumb. (Edit: I suppose I should clarify for anyone who doesn't use Celsius/can't remember their biology classes, 37 degrees is body temp, and at 35 you are probably incapable of higher thought and about to die.)

STUPID NUMBER THREE: So yeah, Buckell! Not only is it incredibly stupid that he freezes to death metres from a working generator, he also says there weren't enough suits to go around. We'll see pretty soon that all of the survivors have quite nicely-fitted suits, so either they used the suit kiosks they couldn't use (and thus Buckell could've), or there were three suits sort of lying around in one of the rooms above, still intact and usable without clearing out a human-shaped mass of snow from inside, coloured rather than in dab browns like the rest of the colour scheme for the SCAF and Tau Volantis, perfectly tailored for... I think we're down to Ellie, Norton, and Santos now? Carver doesn't count, his existing suit seems to be intact when you see it. So it's probably less "I volunteered to die a horrible, cold death" and more "Sucks to be more than a Men's Large, I guess".

STUPID NUMBER FOUR: The clickers are pushovers. Just shoot them, you'll win easily and then you don't have to deal with the dodgy 'pick up that can' mechanic or wait around for five minutes each time you want one to move somewhere. Considering they're built up as these nasty things you should avoid, DS3 really should have either beefed them up or made up some reason why Isaac can't just use his vast quantities of ammo.

But yes, it is very pretty, so there's that at least.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 9, 2015

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Neruz posted:

e: I only just noticed that you weren't doing this but you know if you shoot the spike arms off those common melee Necromorphs you can then telekinesis the spike arm and throw it at enemies to impale them which is usually an instant kill on normal Necromorphs. I found this to be super useful when I was playing.

Pro Stratz are handy on higher difficulties, but really irrelevant on Normal, when you have so much ammo and you can no longer sell it for cash as in the previous games. I mean, unless you decide to carry around one good Plasma Cutter, and also a minigun that you just hose enemies down with indiscriminately with all your ammo.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Somewhere in DS2, somebody's log says that they didn't find any corpses when they cracked open the Ishimura, it was just balls to the walls full of goo.

That one wasn't 'recycling' or anything, it's just the idea that Necromorphs are sustained by a signal from the Marker. When it vanishes (e.g. Isaac dropping a few kilometres of rock onto one on Aegis VII) they just fall apart into people-goo.

Also, a second 'hooray Stargate' here. At one point I'd watched SG-1 reruns enough that I could tell which episode was beginning from five seconds of the first shot. In fact, the described Necromorph 'death' in DS2 sounds remarkably like anti-Replicator weaponry.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
If we're talking about great episodes of SG-1, it has the single greatest episode of any show of all time: season four, 'Window of Opportunity'. Watch it, you will not be disappointed. Kurieg's suggestions are also great.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
About the actual video, it did finally settle one of my neuroses that CJacobs just made sure he was carrying around a door key at all times. Four is just bonkers, but it's a good idea to build a new one whenever you've used your previous since it's just about always worth it, much like it's a bad idea to ever spend your last node in the previous games. I hate backtracking when it's my own fault that I can't do it in one go.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
CJacobs, I love you.

DS2 is SO GOOD. So much love in every little bit, and it really works! I will sing about it to the end of days, I legitimately believe it is one of the best action games ever made. And that's even with layoffs, because Visceral had some pretty nasty losses even mid-DS2 if memory serves. Part of the worry for DS3 before we even knew anything about it was that Visceral had lost a bunch of good people already.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

I don't wanna give away too much but we talk about this at length in the next video, actually! Blind Sally is a real dick about it! (jk bb luv u)

edit: Also, the next video is titled 'the one where the game becomes irredeemable' so I hope you are looking forward to it

Hmm, now I'm wondering if you can get to the point I'm thinking of in one episode. Probably? I may be mis-remembering how annoyingly fiddly the cliff section is.

...Yeah, okay, I'm preeetty sure what I'm thinking of is in the next episode, and if so I very much agree.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I do like the Snake Eater music, but yeah, the answer to the emaciated little lootsacks is always to just kill them. And look, it trades a little medigel for (actually useful) tungsten and other loot! I don't know why this game pretends to have stealth segments.

Did you notice? Since entering the area of the research lab, we're now literally walking over frozen Markers, and still, no proper hallucinations! Although at least they've now 'sorted' the problem by just murdering all the less important characters, so it's just Isaac (should be hallucinating), Ellie (showed in DS2 to be SUCH A BADASS she either doesn't hallucinate or doesn't give a drat, even if DS3 choose not to use literally any other part of her DS2 characterisation), and Carver (hallucinating bugnuts crazy).

But hey, twitchers are fun. Pretty effectively creepy with the movement patterns, and they provide a different kind of threat than other enemies (and also a good excuse to use all the stasis the player builds up). I'm not a fan of them using the Hivemind model for non-Regenerators like the spitters in the skybridge hallway, though, it reduces the impact when that five-eye head has previously been a proper "ohhhhhh dear" moment.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Yes! We're recording it soon as a matter of fact and I'm very excited.

Oh good, so this LP will reach a point where I just start screaming and punching things. That's wonderful, I'm looking forward to that.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I love that Stalker part. I thought at first it might just be me, but they pretty expertly made it (with the super slasher 'n' friends gauntlet) that you are pretty low on health and/or ammo when you get to the stalkers. It's one of the most memorable arenas in the game largely because you're low on resources, surrounded by enemies that are resource-intensive unless you're playing extremely cautiously.

Also, let this be a lesson to you: go slowly when you're around the warts! They make loud, distinctive sounds, which end when you've killed them, so don't move if you can hear one and can't see it!

But ooooohhhhh goooooddddd I ADORE the Ishimura segment. As soon as you see it, Visceral really enters a dialogue with returning players:
*nudge* "Hey, you there. You played Dead Space, right?"
"Yeah, we can tell you did. Guess what? Yyyyyyep, we're sending you back in there. I know, right? We love you too. Have fun!"

And then the entire thing is carefully constructed purely to gently caress with your head, playing on expectations from the first game. From the changes they've made to the set design, to the people assigned to work on it just slowly going crazy even without the Marker signal most of the time just because it's SO loving CREEPY in there, to the way they don't actually attack you until way further in than you'd expect, to them changing Nicole's attacks over to whispers that are more in tune with the quiet of the old ship. It's just one big giant sadistic love letter to returning fans and I LOVE it.

And plus, like the rest of DS2, it's goddamn gorgeous.

Good lord Dead Space 2 is a good game.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Remember that joke CJacobs made back in the Dead Space 2 elementary school segment about the moon?

That's actually the plot of Dead Space 3.

I know, right? And I had to be sneaky about telling him I loved him for it. It was an amazing gag to pull.

So yeah, this sure was an episode. I like how it has you literally running down a cliff in imitation of the game's plot.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Oh man, I totally forgot to mention, CJacobs made that 'escape from the orange mist of death' look far less frustrating than it actually is. You have about two seconds of leeway, no real visual clues that you're supposed to head in that specific direction, and very little physical wiggle room, so you will probably find the correct path by dying repeatedly as Isaac either bumps his elbow against the mist or by heading in the wrong direction, or hanging around like you'd expect Isaac to since he's trying to help Ellie.

Only after several deaths will you eventually have learned that Isaac must say 'every plot-relevant character for himself!' and fuckin' bolt for the door, leaving Ellie to her super grisly fate.

Also, they never really explain why Carver figures that the hydrofluoric acid or whatever is going to come through the door. It's clearly a last-resort 'sterilise the room' button, so logically it should be stopped by the airlock. He knows instinctively that it'll chase you quite a bit further than that, though, and I mean I can kinda see it? All the old seams and everything are two hundred years old and should well be falling apart, but that booth you first used the gas in was 100% sealed, and that didn't even have an airlock. Plus, Isaac is the engineer, he should really be the one versed in 'is this thing still able to make a good seal or not', unless Carver's had some specific experiences in the military involving them committing war crimes with orange deathfog.

CJacobs posted:

Ellie dumbly assumed the latter because she didn't give any thought to why an insane captain on a Marker site would be scrawling about turning off the same force that is controlling her, and only now has it been revealed that actually it meant the former the whole time. The game treats this as a big reveal but it's really only a reveal to the characters in-universe, who are all big dumb idiots.

To be fair, 'delusions that lead to helping the Marker fulfill its own goals' is kinda Dead Space's thing. In fact, it's a shame it's so subtle, because I have to assume that it's the characters being that dumb rather than an actual Marker hallucination - every other plot point is so blunt and stupid that one moment of genuine in-universe subtlety feels unlikely.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Monocled Falcon posted:

But then, I don't really get what everybody's problem with the necromoon is, exactly. Yes, it's a dumb mental image, and it wasn't foreshadowed at all but it does fit in with the cosmic horror themes Dead Space was all about. Merging into a big ball was the necromorphs were trying to do in Dead Space 2 after all.

Oh, and this is something I only just thought of, but this does make the Necromorphs just like Mass Effect Reapers, too.

A moon made of biological matter? Sure, that'll work out great. If you can even make it, because something on the scale of the moon should have a mass along the lines of 10^20 - 10^22kg, and there are NOT enough bodies on a planet to make up that sort of object, or even anything close. If we ignore that (and I tend to be pretty forgiving about discovering future technology, but less so about failing to understand how mass works since we already understand that pretty well), what's the point? Why create such a mass that it would just be stuck there sitting over Tau Volantis for eternity? It's far less useful than a bunch of infectors and something to pilot a spaceship around.

...Hmm, I seem to be describing the Beast. Admittedly, that would have been a much more intriguing climax to the trilogy.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
DS2 chat: You notice how the gribbly box is the one on top of the crates? That's so they can guarantee you picked it up with kinesis, whereas the usual method is to stomp them. Stomping an occupied box kills all the gribblies in it, but kinesis doesn't.

Also, the Medical deck! Pretty, very different visuals, and once again Visceral speaking directly to returning players. "You guys 'enjoyed' the Medical deck, didn't you? Yeah, let's go back there."

Also also, Ellie's eye hasn't been stabbed out. You're a disgrace, CJacobs, a stream is no excuse to forget an extremely minute detail like that.

DS3 co-op: I do enjoy the co-op missions. These parts are so cool for one person, and pretty cool for the other. I do wish Isaac was occasionally going crazy himself, because as it is you're just listening to your buddy go crazy over the mic, which is wonderful but not as wonderful as experiencing Carver's hallucinations and knowing that the other person isn't seeing them. (I think my favourite part this time is the 'gift boxes' of human remains, but that ending is wonderful and I had forgotten about it myself.)

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Yeah you keep all the poo poo you get from the mission which... doesn't really make any sense, but I'm not complaining!

The entire thing happened, Isaac's just loving with Carver because he knows the poor git can't disprove anything he says now.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

pkfan2004 posted:

Yeah the fact that you're consistently throwing health kits away is the only reason I'd suggest "make it cost health" because your playthrough, specifically, is so goddamn flush with health. Who knows, maybe in a whole other mess of alternate realities, those Isaacs all suck and die from papercuts.

Nope, that's just Dead Space 3. It does that on harder difficulties, too, and the same with ammo (although not nearly as much as health). God forbid the player have to take a section carefully if they were to spend all their resources on a fight - look at that Stalker fight I like to point to in a recent DS2 update, just before the Ishimura. You're likely to have very little ammo and health left, and that makes it really tense and gripping! In DS3, the only reason you'll be shouting "I need a store!" is so that you can offload your vast supply of loot.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
One minor issue I do have with Dead Space 2 is that they didn't use all five steps as metaphor for grief. Still, I think it's a pretty good twist, and the idea that Nicole is only hostile to him because he hasn't come to terms with his guilt and grief is an interesting one.

And to be fair, he has pretty good reason not to have gotten over it yet. He only got past denial at the very end of Dead Space 1 when Kendra forced him to rewatch the entire suicide note, and he was put into an amnesiac work-coma pretty quickly after that. He's basically been in combat or eldritch terror almost the entire time since then, and he's only had a few hours to actually think about her.

But anyway, the most important thing to take away from this episode is that Ellie is a stone-cold badass.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space 2 seems to assign specific rooms to items somehow, because you also can't go around with a mass of kinesis spears - they'll vanish the same way. It doesn't affect ammo, if I recall, since I vaguely remember doing the same 'punt stuff to the store' tactic I used in DS1.

I honestly didn't care enough (or ever feel the need) to try the same in DS3, so I'm not sure how long you can carry non-ammo loot in the third. With all the ammo they give you and the inability to sell it for cash, who cares?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
CJacobs, I take it you have not yet watched Window of Opportunity. Slacker. :colbert:

Yeah, this segment of the 'climax' really feels like filler. It really doesn't feel very important, despite the flashy superpowers, probably because they killed off all the important characters except Danik and he just occasionally pops in to make stupid comments. We're down to basically a Kendra equivalent, but where that pretty much worked in Dead Space 1 it feels much emptier here with the increased scale of the threat.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
CJacobs, I'm so, so sorry that you're wrong. I really wish you were, that this was peak dumb. I mean, look at it, it should be. I really, really wish this was peak dumb... but it's not.

God speed, and may Altman have mercy on your soul as you play the DLC.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Grizzwold posted:

Hell, Carver could have still tossed the codex to Danik, and then shot him when he reached for it and was distracted/went to put it in the machine. I swear nobody in video games seems to remember they have guns in cutscenes.

They also forget they have helmets, which is arguably worse - we've had exposure to vacuum (and I'm not sure how this end sequence doesn't count), an ice planet, and crazy men with bullet-guns, and all those problems could have been sorted if Isaac and co remembered they have the ability to hermetically seal themselves inside bullet-resistant lifeboats.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Dead Space 2 has a pretty cool ending, and DS2 Ellie is the best. Although the final boss is hilariously stomped if you use the Contact Beam on it. Before the opening monologue is done you can shoot one, shoot the other, shoot one, shoot the other, and you're done. When Niggurath did an LP of DS2 I asked him if he was going to not do that so we'd actually get to experience the final boss, and his response was 'Oops.' Plus, the parallel to the pre-credits stinger in DS1? Super nice touch.

I'm not sure about the idea that the Ubermorph is technically an alien, though, unless there's something about them keeping alien bodymass outside the sector but on the station for some reason. When you disable the power (which is such an awesome moment of turnaround, especially if you do stick around in the corridor of armed security guards at first and see them cut you down, it's great) you can see the five-eyed Ubermorph stalking forward among the horde in the darkness. It was outside the lockdown when Isaac was, so it wasn't generated by the Marker to begin the Convergence event or anything like that.

Also, no, Isaac couldn't have used stasis on Tiedemann. Isaac uses stasis with his left hand, he moves it forward and 'casts' from it. Watch the sequence again, as soon as he does this in the Tiedemann confrontation, he gets a javelin in that hand. The only stasis he uses after that is hallucinatory.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Gorilla Salad posted:

The ubermorphs become a hell of a lot less frightening once you realise they can't leave the room/area they spawn in - no necromorphs can.

I wasn't sure if they had changed that from the first game, but in the final video you can see it several times where a necro gets to a doorway and either just stops or turns around and runs off. Takes a lot out of the game when you discover you can stand in a doorway and just cheese a fight.

I'm pretty sure that I distinctly remember it jumping into vents to follow me when I went through doors, so it (and it is a singular enemy) still does follow you even if it can't quite figure out doors. Maybe it's like a dog with a screen door.

I may just have a high tolerance for invisible walls over doors, though, since I love Metroid Prime so much and that had similar fun of just standing on the other side of a door as a Metroid kept trying to launch itself through.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I still can't believe EA tricked me into paying for the Awakened DLC. Welcome to peak dumb, in which they actually thought there could be a follow-up to this. It takes a heck of a thing to get dumber than DS3's main campaign, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
That is a pretty great ending, CJacobs, and I love the return of the foam finger. (There was no way in hell I was going to suffer through Hardcore in DS3 for it myself though)

Thanks for all the effort you put in documenting this downhill deathtrap of a rollercoaster. It's been much more fun than the game deserves.

• Locked thread