Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know Unitology was always a powerful organization in past games but in DS3, they have literally turned into Cerberus from the Mass Effect games in being a galaxy dominating super power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It makes more sense if you play through all the games in sequence. Dead Space 2 had a gradual progression from "OH GOD NECROMORPHS PLEASE GOD HELP ME!" to "Okay gently caress this poo poo with the biggest gun I can find." The final boss of Dead Space 2 was a mind battle vs the necromorph infestation to keep himself from committing suicide and fulfilling the convergence event.

So by this point Isaac is a profoundly broken man, but he's not scared of the Necromorphs anymore.

Dead Space 2 wasn't even going to have a final boss fight, until the playtesters said "Can't wait to see the final boss!", the devs then poo poo themselves and put together that Battle in the Mind thing literally at the 11th hour, or so I remember it anyway.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Elemental weapons totally and utterly shatter the difficulty of Dead Space 3, later on, you can make some hilariously overpowered creations and Issac Clarke becomes Death Incarnate!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

I never really felt that way about those modules except for the Explosive Module to make the Javelin gun into a direct fire grenade launcher. You never really had the luxury to use the elemental mods to do its damage before you needed to take some goon down. That's part of the problem of the game in that they turned it into action-horror that made "You need to die NOW" the mantra of any encounter because you didn't know how many were going to attack at any given time.

You say that but (and I'm spoilering this to be safe) You could add Stasis modules to weapons, so you could make a electrical line launcher that also froze enemies in time for a short while, stasis modules on guns are the true game breakers.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Neruz posted:

I don't even want to know what Dead Space 3 or any other PS3 game looks like on the inside because aaaaaahhhhhhh! :psypop:

Only the wizards at Naughty Dog really knew how to work with the PS3, but chiming in with Ellie chat, it would have been really cool to play as her, I never did Co-Op myself so never got to experience the joys of Carver.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Good News, Issac's suit looks really cool in Dragon Age.

The Bad News: It's only available in Dragon Age 2. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

IronSaber posted:

"I can't become a Space Engineer because I died."

"And then my corpse became a nightmarish horror."

Dead Space 1 had Zombie Babies, 2 has the Babies and Kids due to it being a fully equipped space station with a very spooky school level that probably made people feel sad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, with a bunch of poo poo specifically designed to provoke his PTSD sprawled out on his table while he interviews him. That guy is the shittiest psychiatrist ever.

Also, WHO THE gently caress makes Marker Script Rubik's Cubes? ...And if any one of you fuckers says "Unitologists! :downs:", I swear to loving Christ :argh:

How else are you supposed to know that EarthGov is EVVVVIIIILLLLL if they don't constantly torture Issac mentally for little to no real reason?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm a Console Dead Space player and I have one weird trick that PC gamers hate, the Force Gun/Shotgun, you don't need to bother aiming as it blows everything apart, for more advanced tactics blow legs off, let those Necros crawl ineffectually after you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Monocled Falcon posted:

Oh, and this is something I only just thought of, but this does make the Necromorphs just like Mass Effect Reapers, too.

Dead Space 3 is literally Mass Effect 3 right down to the main enemies in both games being bio organic horrors, the Reaper creations are more on the mechanized side of things but they are still mostly different creatures fused together, I'd say more but Neruz has already dropped enough spoiler hints that you don't need another.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Neruz posted:

The term 'Dead Space' is used in-universe a couple of times, but the devs have stated that it specifically refers to one thing:

Which is that!
Some time ago the first Brethren Moon happened, it made Markers (or possibly its creator made Markers, its unclear whether the Brethren Moons happened naturally or were engineered) and spat them all over the galaxy, then it wandered off to go get lunch. The Markers turned into more Moons which slowly spread out from the origin point growing in size and number and scourging every iota of life from the worlds they found leaving behind a large chunk of the galaxy which is completely devoid of life.

It's this chunk of galaxy that is the 'Dead Space', literally a section of space that is dead and devoid of any and all life because the Brethren Moons ate it all. The expanding area of Dead Space was halted some time ages ago when the Tau Volentis aliens basically paralyzed\froze the Brethren Moon network\hive mind with their magic Codex which allowed Earth the time to develop complex life all on its own without Marker interference, said complex life promptly goes out and starts interfering with Markers and ruining everything, cue Dead Space 1.
:bang:

You know, the Reapers in Mass Effect were created almost the same way, an AI turned on its creators, the Leviathons and turned almost the entire species into a Reaper, Harbinger infact, and from there more Reapers were created by assimilating entire races to create a single Reaper, the smaller Reaper Destroyers were made out of lesser races, the gigantic ones, the dominant ones, the Brethren Moons and Reapers have similar methods in eradicating life but the Reapers have a purpose, save organic life by preserving it while the Moons just want to kill everything for the sake of it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mass Effect 3's ending is also what happens when you run into deadline issues and are forced to cobble something together at the 11th hour,, a fate which befalls many games thesedays. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Pretty sure the Ubermorph came from the Ishimura since it was the super-crazy doctor's ultimate necromorph project. I want to say there's a log somewhere that they found the thing in the Med Bay's cold storage and brought it out for further study. Then things went bad and whoops! It's free to be unstoppable again!

Which makes the ones on the fleet around Tau Velantis the real outlier. But hey, that's Dead Space 3 in a nutshell really.

You mean the creature that got roasted to dust by the Escape Shuttle near the end of Dead Space 1, nope, the Ubermorph is unrelated to it, aside from sharing the same animations.

• Locked thread