Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The biggest problem was just how many weapons were 'It's a gun.' and 'It's a more powerful gun.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Curb stomp every foe to reveal fabulous prizes. I think that was one of the oddities of DS; fighting produces delicious prizes, which is sort of counter to survival horror logic, but wonderful fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blind Sally posted:

Dash Rendar is known by many names. Michael Altman is one of them.

No! This is impossible! I'm searching my feelings and I'm not knowing it to be true!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, Ellie was really good in DS2. Another thing I liked is there really wasn't direct romantic subtext to their relationship in DS2; it was more that Ellie was DS1 Isaac but with DS2 Isaac around, you know? She was the intelligent, resourceful mining company employee fighting her way through all this crap while a crazy guy tells her it's all about weird alien artifacts, and that alone was enough to explain Isaac's desperate desire to get her out alive, at least. She was him, about 3 years back, and it was great.

Sure, she was designed to be attractive in DS2 but so was Isaac in his own way. It was the sort of Hollywood Everyman Attractive you get just by virtue of how people are designed for fiction, rather than whatever the hell we go here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gunner Wright does a fantastic job as Isaac, by the way. Like, even in DS3 he still manages to get Isaac's frustration and exhaustion across really well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isaac starts talking in DS2 after realizing how much bullshit keeping his trap shut caused in DS1. That's my explanation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chiasaur11 posted:

Um, I know this is going to sound... odd, but what is Vectron, exactly?

He's Vectron! You know, he of the golden wings?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I do really like the one implication by one Earthgov scientist in 2, though. That the Marker shows whoever it's loving with whatever they want it to be and goes 'Hey make more of me bro'. When he talks about how all the scientists who are convinced they're too smart for the religious fervor hallucinations are all seeing exactly the power sources they want to see, etc, and that he's scared as hell it's doing the same thing to him it did to the Unis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I think every planet they've found lacks water or a biosphere and they're running out of ability to feed people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Have you ever once seen a science fiction story with a reasonable sense of scale?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JamieTheD posted:

I've also heard about the ending (Surprise, I haven't been bothered to finish it either!), and... It makes about as much sense as the "Big Reveal" for the UFO Trilogy I was Let's Playing some time back. Remind me about this post when we do get to the ending, because... Holy fuckballs, sometimes games get crazy.

It is in no way as glorious and hilarious as the reveals in UFO. UFO's insane reveals are the greatest thing ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

I sincerely love the concept of Tiedemann being the villain because, I mean, think of it from his perspective: You're the leader of the security force on a massive space station that is being sabotaged left and right by insane scientologist assholes and in your attempts to keep it held together with bubblegum and duct tape there's this nutbar running around shooting up the place with a massive horde of zombie aliens following in his every step. Tiedemann makes it very clear in the beginning of the game that he cares more about evacuating the people of Titan Station than capturing Isaac, but as the game goes on he starts to realize that there's no saving it.

He shows empathy because when things go wrong he immediately understands that it's the Marker's fault unlike every other Dead Space character that exists. That's why it's a shame that they went with the "Markers provide limitless energy" thing, because if they DIDN'T do it that way as the canonical explanation and went with Dead Space 1's explanation of that just being a theory people believed, his stern-ness would be much more reliant on faith of his own comparable in its own ways to Unitology and I think that would've made a much better character.

He's a versatile character who has his stern beliefs destroyed because Isaac's got the determination to not just give up and die and I think that's really cool. It makes me sad that Danik is not nearly that complex as we will find out shortly, because I feel like it's just a big missed opportunity.

Hell, there are mysterious other bad guys giving Tiedemann a ton of poo poo for trying to save the people of the station (and successfully saving quite a few of them, many of the evacuation transports made it to safety). Tiedemann works as a villain because he's basically another protagonist whose well-intentioned (but flawed) goals are opposite the goals of the main character and involve defeating Isaac, rather than because he's a mustache-twirling psychopath cliche like Danik.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's the kind of setting I'd probably run as a tabletop RPG. Only issue is actually making stats for literally the entirety of the canon stuff, which is maddening.

I did this once, between the Marker insanity and constant dismembering it worked out really well for a splatter-horror short RPG campaign.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4CnNfLiiI

Here, take this video of a thing I figured out was still possible as my apology for not putting on the Mass Effect suit in episode 7.

Oh poo poo! They can't tell Isaac has become the backwards walking pants!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chard posted:

I just watched The Thing (2011) for the first time and I don't thing I've ever felt so directly insulted by a movie before. This is toxic garbage made into a visual experience.

Why would you ever watch this instead of the original!?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

I don't understand why the idea of publishers cancelling or backburnering IP's that don't sell well upsets people so much; EA are a for profit company of course they don't want to publish things that do not make them any profit. Why does that offend people?

Well, for one, the sales target they set was ridiculously high (like 5 million if I remember) which indicated they were going to kill the series unless 3 was an incredible CoD level hit. For two, a lot of DS3's problems come specifically from publisher mandate and it feels a bit like gutting the goose that laid the tentacle-strewn horror-eggs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In fairness to CJacobs, an opportunity to play Dead Space 2 is a good opportunity to take. It's hard to overstate just how good Dead Space 2 is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If the Co-Op partner had been Ellie, do you think she would've stayed DS2 Ellie?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I gotta admit, the 'just fuckin' around' DS2 LP is really entertaining, primarily because DS2 is a way, way better game than DS3.

DS3 is a good game (with a terrible script), DS2 is a great game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shei-kun posted:

So many babies and children.

I thought CAVIA was mean to children. Goddamn.

It's funny, but when I was first playing the game ages ago this was my first thought. "Forget Cavia, Visceral hates children!"

As I was running a remote control buzzsaw through a mutated swarm of babies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One big thing that makes that scene work so well? It's NOT a QTE. It's functionally similar, but everything you're doing is stuff that was established in gameplay; shoot the infected flesh, aim under pressure, mash E to exert yourself/shake off a grab, etc. You also have just enough time to do it all without it feeling like a glorified cutscene or too punishingly hard. The whole Tormentor fight and Daina's death scene is just goddamn awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

EarthGov took it there to test its limitless energy potential. Then it didn't work and created horrible necromorphs because that's what Markers REALLY do, so they put it on the pedestal and buried their whole knowledge of its existence.

You know, honestly, 'Let's take it far off to a safely barren place to test, then oh poo poo it didn't work cordon off the area and don't let anyone go there.' isn't that insane of a way to test your alien artifact.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of like Earthgov in that they're dealing with something far beyond them and loving up a lot, but until DS3 (which is, you know, DS3) they don't feel *stupid*. Take Tiedmann. Tiedmann's actions, with what he knows, basically all make sense, even if they're mistakes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiedemann also does a bunch of legitimately sympathetic stuff that you find out about, later, in addition to the colder stuff like the 'shut off life support' thing we saw in the last video. I mean, he's basically right: If anyone is in there and hasn't gotten out he really doesn't have the resources to rescue them anyway at this point.

Basically, in addition to being a stupendous *game*, DS2 has some legitimately strong characters in its cast. Isaac, Elly, and Tiedemann are all really fun characters to follow and they make the story way better.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That is far from the worst thing Isaac is going to do in his rage quest. But Isaac is also, you know, a crazy person in the middle of a cosmic horror story.

Seriously, DS2 is one of those games I can't help but gush about a bit because it's so loving good.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Meanwhile, Danik is off tying Elly to the railroad tracks and twirling his mustache.

Or activating the Emperor system to stop those Dogs of the AMS because surely you can see this world is OVERPOPULATED. When your villain is comparable to (and shares the same motivation as) the dudes in loving House of the Dead, you have messed up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

#teambuckell

Remember him??? Remember Buckell???

He was like the only sympathetic character in the game so far besides Isaac on a good day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The CEC bit is another good example of why Ellie is well written in DS2. She's clearly stressed the gently caress out, frustrated, grieving, and she still manages to take a deep breath and keep moving forward. DS2 is about Isaac meeting someone who is where he was in DS1 and working together to survive and it's pretty great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It stands to reason a flamethrower would be useful in The Thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We all know what's really slowing down the elevator. The vengeful hand of Michael Altman, angered at Danik's misrepresentation of his spirit and smug douchebag ponytail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JamieTheD posted:

The entire reason for the near extinction of humanity, the alien invasion... The whole shebang... Was because two space beasties wanted to get it on. There are not enough facepalms or headdesks to encompass my mood when I discovered this the first time round.

Altair interactive had the best ridiculous writers ever and I still miss them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mahad's actions were reasonable, just not necessarily correct. He's a lot like Tiedmann from DS2 in that respect, just less well done.

I mean 'Oh poo poo there's a loving zombie virus and we have no idea how it spreads and we can't stop it militarily with the forces we have here I can't let it reach Earth' is far from the dumbest response.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That second link hurt me in ways I did not think my ears could be hurt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will spoil a very important fact about the DLC's story that is very similar to the base game's story.

It is poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, the Final Boss kind of fit for a cosmic horror story. Having a crazy fight with alien magic you don't understand as time and space collapse around you is sort of how those should end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like, had everything about the leadup to the final sequence not been so drat dumb, Isaac confronting Moon Cthulhu in the middle of a horrifying convergence vortex and then having a desperate battle with it that ends in his death but prevents the destruction of the human race FOR NOW would've been completely in theme for the sort of Space Call of Cthulhu feel of Dead Space.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know what would've forgiven things some with Carver? They've been hinting he's getting hit hard by the Marker signal. Just have the idiot falter at the end, right there, and hand over the codex. The fact that he's in control of his faculties when he does it, when we've got a goddamn mind control device for a main villain, is just ridiculously stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

:psyduck:

Why. They had a perfectly good, surprisingly fitting cosmic horror ending! Isaac and Carver die using means they barely understand to put an end to the horror and save everyone at the last minute. That was a good ending! It fit!

Why does this DLC exist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, if the Moon talked to the other crazy moons, that means Carver still doomed humanity with his incredible dumbness, yes?

And probably got Elly killed to boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

If only DS2 Ellie was the co-op partner. If she were the partner, Issac and DS2 Ellie would be kicking back over drinks with the knowledge the necromorph menace was gone forever.

"Hey, remember when you let Danik take you 'hostage' and then threw him off a cliff while I distracted him?" is how that standoff would've gone with her, I think.

It would have had everything. Isaac having good voice acting. Ellie doing something cool to avert a terrible ending. Danik being flung off a cliff. It could have been perfect.

• Locked thread