Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
I'll agree with Judge Tesla. Unitology getting that powerful was kind of bullshit.

Especially since it's basically Scientology.

If EarthGov wasn't firmly grasping the Idiot Ball, they'd have shut them down a long time ago, especially since EarthGov in the two previous game seemed to have integrated a lot of lessons from the Gestapo and Stasi in their basic functioning.

Then again, if Simon Templeman was doing my propaganda, I'd be ruler of the world too.

That said, I'll always point towards the competence of the SCAF in containing the Necromorph outbreak. Even with the Marker clearly making people do stupid poo poo ("Let's bring back the infected corpses unto the fleet, despite knowing they'll get back up and kill people. I see nothing wrong with this."), they had clear and precise protocols in place for every eventuality and Mahad acted quickly and decisively when it became clear things had gone out of control.

Hell, they even recognized/knew that the Markers are memetic hazards that could only be fought with similar means no matter how horrifying they may seem, as we'll see.

Really, if we didn't know about the existence of Serrano's plan to stop the Marker, Mahad would have been in the right. As it was, his only mistake was not investigating Serrano's claims before cleaning everything up.

Whereas EarthGov… Well, Idiot Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Well in DS2 her design was basically "Female Isaac", with not much care given to her appearance. She's covered in blood and soot, has her eye gouged out, and spends more time swearing than posing. She was designed as a character rather than eye candy. It's disheartening to see what they did to her in this game.

I'll agree to that. I liked Ellie a lot more in DS2.

CJacobs posted:

It's the cycle of rebirth! Altman be praised!

This filthy Heresy has to stop. I don't know if I should go full Catholic or full Imperial Creed to oppose it.

… gently caress it, I'll do both.

For God and the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, I shall see this Heresy most foul and Treason against Humanity stamped out.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

tlarn posted:

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

… Yes, I am. So are you, good sir.

And so is Blind Sally down there.

Blind Sally posted:

Altman guideth this poster, praise be upon them.

Goddamn Heretics, Apostates and Heathens.

What would Dash Rendar think of your betrayal, Sally?

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Dash Rendar is known by many names. Michael Altman is one of them.

HAHA! A BLATANT LIE! Dash Rendar believes in nothing other than Dash Rendar! He couldn't possibly be Michael Altman, who believes in Markers as Divine things!

Dash Rendar and the God-Emperor of Man frown upon your blatant Apostasy, Sally. Turn back, there is still time for you to be redeemed!

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

BMS posted:

Man, see those are the types of co-op scenarios I love, where the game doesn't just keep you two bundled tightly up together like that. Like Hexen, you're required to stay in the same level, that's it, other than that, go hog wild (and sneak up behind your co-op buddy when he's on a bridge and use a Disc of Repulsion to send him flying off into a death pit). C'MON ISAAC, JUST LAUNCH CARVER INTO THE MARKER, IT'LL BE FINE.

Ahhh, the best co-op scenarios.

I never managed to see if you could use your kinesis module on a partner, though.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

A bigger problem is that you don't need an Earth-like planet. You can do fine by sticking to O'Neill cylinders and using asteroids for resources.

Having an energy crisis in this situation makes the Imperium of Man (where ships load their missile launchers using slave labor because they haven't figured out automated ammo loaders) look like an efficient and well managed government.

To be fair, the Imperium of Man has a proper sense of scale. There's a million worlds (or so the estimates, which are about a century out of date at best, say) across the entire Galaxy so administrating the entirety of them is a goddamn nightmare. Especially when you don't have AIs to do it for you, because of the previous AI Rebellion. Similarly, the Imperial Navy has at the very least millions of ships, if not hundreds of millions. Ensuring that everyone of them has the same technology when they can be built nearly anywhere (including over Feral Worlds for a much cited example) is utterly impossible. By the way, auto-loaders are not a lost technology... Well, at least not everywhere. Depends on the Sector.

Considering the difficulties involved, the Imperium is a miracle of efficient administration and managing technology standardization. They make it a point to use every scrap of resource, manpower and technology they have as efficiently as they can. Admittedly, their best is not very efficient, but they make the effort.

Dead Space, by comparison... You have to wonder how they managed to get off Earth in the first place.

"We need limitless energy!"

IoM: "Plasma Reactor, check. Integrated Solar Panels, check. Windmills, check. Geothermal Powerplant, check. Nuclear Reactor, check. Internal Combustion Engine, check. Mechanical Pedals and the thousands needed to operate them, check. Hurd Infestation purged by accident, check. Fabricator-General, we have achieved maximum redundancy."

Dead Space: "... Solar Power? Nope. Wind Power? Nope. Nuclear Power? Nope. All the resources of the Solar System? Magically vanished. MARKER POWER? CHECCCCCKKKKK!!!!... Hey, why do horrible things happen for the fifth time?"

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

For context, here's the Wikipedia links Blind Sally was reading during the commentary recording Greely, Ontario, Maj. Gen. Adolphus Greely, and Notable Death Traps in Ontario.

Everyone in Canada knows that Toronto is a Death Trap. Even Montreal, with its notorious "Free-for-All/nearly suicidal" pedestrian behaviour, is less deadly.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I've never thought about it that way before but that actually is a pretty good explanation. I'd always assumed they just didn't expect the player to bother thinking too hard about it or something.

It's probably something along those lines and a general report on the health of the subject, based off a standard readout.

If hits can be healed by the in-board medical systems, it can be refilled by Med Packs and only decreases according to the amount of resources used to heal/patch the wounds.

If the hits are impossible to heal/restore to the baseline with the in-board medical systems, then the RIG can't be refilled beyond a certain point.

Otherwise, RIGs flatlining after immediately fatal injuries wouldn't make sense.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

[CULT INTENSIFIES]

[INQUISTION INTENSIFIES]

Cleanse, purge, kill.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

biosterous posted:

Nominating page 7 of this thread for "best page without an update on it".

Seconded.

Christ's Blood, that's amazing.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Oh yeah, I heard about Visceral farming out their DLC to Rockstar Studios for this one. It seems to have made quite a difference.

Call me suspicious, but I think Rockstar re-used a lot of assets from one of their most recent games.

There's just something eerily similar to that game in this DLC.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

Posts like that are about as subtle as a dead kid in an insurance commercial.

... That's almost poetic.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

tlarn posted:

I've watched it tons of times as well, but I've only seen That Scene In The Dog Kennel like maybe three times completely through, I usually skip it. :smith:

The Dog Kennel scene is loving nightmarish. I don't recall what they did to excite the dogs enough during filming, but I imagine just putting the damned puppet (made by Stan Winston) IN the kennel was enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Make the DS2 and DS3 LPs whole.

Make us whole.

MAKE US WHOLE

GODDAMNIT HORUS. STOP BEING CORRUPTED BY EVERY PASSING ABOMINATION.

FOR THE EMPEROR!

• Locked thread