Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harlock posted:

Here are all my (17) Yes votes:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez
Pedro Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell
Larry Walker

That's my ballot except for Schilling. I cannot vote for a man who defrauded the great state of Rhode Island.

Edit: I also voted for Sosa. BIG HALL!

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Rand alPaul posted:

That's my ballot except for Schilling. I cannot vote for a man who defrauded the great state of Rhode Island.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, Kingdoms of Amalur was a good game :colbert:

I think I had the same ballot as Harlock as well, but I may have missed a few guys. It's really easy to glance over some of the deserving great but not elite players when there's so drat many.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, Kingdoms of Amalur was a good game :colbert:

Interestingly enough, it being a good game doesn't change the fact that he defrauded the state of Rhode Island, as well as loving over a ton of the people who worked on the game for him!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is there some kind of weird injoke I don't get about Rich Aurillia because he is like an average player at best.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm handing in an empty ballot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did everyone miss that he voted for Delgado

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
I will not acknowledge either Hall of Fame until Pete rose is admitted in, such a travesty that he's not allowed in the hall, not even in his own house!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I went back and forth on Schilling if I should take him off for "character reasons" but ultimately I decided to go with keeping him in there because this is supposed to be based off of his merits as a pitcher. I felt gross doing it, though.

The only person I'd keep off for character reasons would be Albert Belle.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I voted for:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Edgar Martinez
Pedro Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell
Larry Walker

e: whoops, realized this initially said I voted for Mattingly because I forgot to delete his name.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The only person I'd keep off for character reasons would be Albert Belle.

I'd say that sending a teammate on a stealth mission to sneak a corked bat out of the umpire's room is the type of lovable, "wily veteran" cheating that got Gaylord Perry into the Hall of Fame. It's not at all comparable to the unforgivable steroid cheating that Andy Pettitte did.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Bagwell
Bonds
Clemens
Johnson
Martinez
McGwire
Piazza
Schilling
Sheffield
Smoltz
Raines
Walker

and I would have voted for Mussina but like I said, somehow didn't see him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ice To Meet You posted:

I'd say that sending a teammate on a stealth mission to sneak a corked bat out of the umpire's room is the type of lovable, "wily veteran" cheating that got Gaylord Perry into the Hall of Fame. It's not at all comparable to the unforgivable steroid cheating that Andy Pettitte did.

He had a domestic abuse issue and was generally a dickhead, but that's also true of Barry Bonds and everyone here thinks it's hilarious to treat him as a saint so

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really believe Jeff Kent deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He may have been nothing special at second, but he at least played the position and raked. Has some good postseason numbers too, and longevity.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ice To Meet You posted:

He also intentionally hit a kid with his car, and also threw things at fans that were heckling them. If you're gonna throw stuff at fans, be like Griffey and throw your jock strap at least.

edit: to build on what MV said, I can't vote for Bonds and ignore Schilling when Bonds had domestic violence issues.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

edit: to build on what MV said, I can't vote for Bonds and ignore Schilling when Bonds had domestic violence issues.

I think if a guy is borderline then you can use the good guy/bad guy as an argument to swing one way or the other, which is why it's easily justifiable to vote in Bonds and not Schilling. I generally do my best to ignore off the field stuff when deciding if I want to vote for a guy, though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Short of a player rounding up Jewish children in the Warsaw Ghetto, I'm pretty open to ignoring their off-the-field issues. Curt Schilling is a tremendous loving prick, but he was a great pitcher for his first decade in the league, and a ridiculous one in his second. He, Randy Johnson, and Roger Clemens did a ridiculous job gaining control and command of their pitches as they got older, and should be no-doubter HoFers.

Harlock's ballot is basically a mirror of mine.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
drat it i closed my tab before i could copy/paste but i think this is what i did:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
John Smoltz
Sammy Sosa
Tim Raines
Larry Walker

i kind of regret sosa but w/e

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sosa is a lot better than players that writers regularly vote for.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

Sosa is a lot better than players that writers regularly vote for.

I guess, but he wasn't Hall of Fame level at anything except hitting homers at a time when homers were the easiest they have ever been to hit. He was good enough at that to have a decent case, but I don't have much problem with him being out. He'd have sailed in without the steroid thing but he's a pretty borderline candidate.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

I think if a guy is borderline then you can use the good guy/bad guy as an argument to swing one way or the other, which is why it's easily justifiable to vote in Bonds and not Schilling. I generally do my best to ignore off the field stuff when deciding if I want to vote for a guy, though.

I think Curt Schilling was one of the best pitchers though. He's 2nd in career K/BB, only to an Irish-American named Tommy Bond who was born prior to the Civil War.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

It's interesting to compare Schilling to Maddux. Excepting for Maddux' far better health during his prime, they had remarkably similar profiles.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Rich Aurilia
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez
Pedro Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell
Larry Walker

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

I think Curt Schilling was one of the best pitchers though. He's 2nd in career K/BB, only to an Irish-American named Tommy Bond who was born prior to the Civil War.

A lot of people think he's borderline :shrug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

His personality may be, but his candidacy is not.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Rich Aurilia
The joke's run its course. Stop it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander posted:

It's interesting to compare Schilling to Maddux. Excepting for Maddux' far better health during his prime, they had remarkably similar profiles.

You have to keep in mind Maddux had over 300 starts more than Schilling. When you think of it that way, Madduz really blows Schilling away since it's really hard to maintain that sort of success that young and for that long. Some of their averages are surprisingly similar, though.

MourningView posted:

I guess, but he wasn't Hall of Fame level at anything except hitting homers at a time when homers were the easiest they have ever been to hit. He was good enough at that to have a decent case, but I don't have much problem with him being out. He'd have sailed in without the steroid thing but he's a pretty borderline candidate.

He had an insane peak, with a 10 WAR season at age 32 to cap it off, but I certainly don't think he is a hall of fame player. He was really really good at hitting homers in his prime, though. Even in a homer heavy era, it wasn't like there were a whole lot of players like him.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 8, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tadashi posted:

You have to keep in mind Maddux had over 300 starts more than Schilling. When you think of it that way, Madduz really blows Schilling away since it's really hard to maintain that sort of success that young and for that long. Some of their averages are surprisingly similar, though.

That was exactly my point. Maddux had far better health, and averaged 200+ IP over like 15 years. The 1800 IP difference between the two is the largest difference. Otherwise they had remarkably similar rates.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
I submitted:
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Edgar Martinez
Pedro Martinez
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Larry Walker

Thinking back on it, I should probably have put Sheffield & Kent on there. Oh well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone thinking about not voting Bonds because of PEDs, this is your reminder that for the first decade of his career he averaged a 30/30 season and an .300 average. So even if you throw out literally everything after, say, 1998, his candidacy is still as good as Larry Walker's.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Closed the tab before I made this but I think these were my votes.

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Darin Erstad
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Larry Walker

Darin Erstad is the greatest punter to ever play the game of baseball. He's basically Edgar Martinez like that, except he actually played defense (and was good at it).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Darin Erstad is the greatest punter to ever play the game of baseball. He's basically Edgar Martinez like that, except he actually played defense (and was good at it).
You do realize that a significant factor toward considering a player good, let alone worthy of the hall of fame, is based upon their ability to play offense by hitting the ball, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there any explanation for why Darin Erstad just stopped being good all of a sudden? Was it completely injury driven?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

Is there any explanation for why Darin Erstad just stopped being good all of a sudden? Was it completely injury driven?

He stopped taking steroids

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Pander posted:

You do realize that a significant factor toward considering a player good, let alone worthy of the hall of fame, is based upon their ability to play offense by hitting the ball, right?

Find me a single better hitting punter

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Pander posted:

It's pretty simple. Darin Erstad is the greatest punter to ever play baseball, and Edgar Martinez is the greatest DH to ever play baseball. However, Erstad played both sides of the game, and Martinez stopped after a few years due to injury. Therefore, they're both equally great, but only one of them is a complete baseball player. Perfectly sensible.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

It's pretty simple. Darin Erstad is the greatest punter to ever play baseball, and Edgar Martinez is the greatest DH to ever play baseball. However, Erstad played both sides of the game, and Martinez stopped after a few years due to injury. Therefore, they're both equally great, but only one of them is a complete baseball player. Perfectly sensible.

I see no proof of Erstad punting on a baseball diamond. :colbert:

Besides his 2007 season with the White Sox.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

I think it's more likely that his one good offensive season was probably a fluke and he was just naturally not a very good hitter.

He was also a very bad field goal kicker.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

E: poo poo. Wrong thread.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tony Olivia is borderline and doesn't really belong in the hall, but Dick Allen not is a loving travesty.

• Locked thread