Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
What's up with every rear end in a top hat who watches Pawn Stars and figures themselves to be some kind of master negotiator trying to lowball my listings on craigslist? "$700 FIRM" means exactly that, I'm not gonna budge

Some loser drove 75 miles to get to me today, only to come with $50 less than the price we agreed upon. When I made him aware of the ATM 50 feet away from us, he muttered that it "wasn't compatible with [his] bank". OK, thanks for coming out to look at it!

Please share some failed negotiations you've been a part of ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some guy on Kijiji wouldn't budge on a the price for a CPU I needed to extend the life of my media PC another year.

He said it was rare and therefore worth the price.

Bitch I have an Internet connection and a shipping address. If it was mass produced in the past decade, it isn't rare.

Bought it for half his asking price off eBay and it'll be here in a few days.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

EvilJoven posted:

Some guy on Kijiji wouldn't budge on a the price for a CPU I needed to extend the life of my media PC another year.

Bitch I have an Internet connection and a shipping address. If it was mass produced in the past decade, it isn't rare.

What was the difference between what he was asking and you were offering?

open container
Sep 16, 2008
OP, have you thought of asking for MORE than you want?!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
80 bux.

For 80 bux I'll wait a week.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Some dipshit bought it anyways.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

open container posted:

I considered that, but then my listing would stick out as being more expensive than comparable items. I figured posting my desired price and not budging from it would yield a similar success rate.

Is this a foolish strategy?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I considered that, but then my listing would stick out as being more expensive than comparable items. I figured posting my desired price and not budging from it would yield a similar success rate.

Is this a foolish strategy?

you go high and then say negotiable, and just stay firm at the price you want during negotiations.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm with you op. I hate haggling.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
consider stealing his heroin for your troubles

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

TOILETLORD posted:

you go high and then say negotiable, and just stay firm at the price you want during negotiations.

OK, I bumped the price up to $800, and said that I'd be willing to entertain other offers.

Seems like this would set myself up for more lowballing assholes, but what the hell.....the goonmunity has yet to steer me wrong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

OK, I bumped the price up to $800, and said that I'd be willing to entertain other offers.

Seems like this would set myself up for more lowballing assholes, but what the hell.....the goonmunity has yet to steer me wrong.

It means that no one will offer you $800. Everyone will offer less. Your $700 firm is probably the best/least stressful way to get what you want. Otherwise you will get people offering less.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I sold a tv and bluray player the other day on kijiji for $200, dude texted me and seemed like a normal person

He arrived on time and I showed him the goods, and he goes 'So it was $100 right? That's what your ad said' :haw:

I guess I didn't look impressed, because he quickly said 'Normally I haggle with people, but this is a good deal'

I wonder how often people are that stupid and just go 'Welp you're right I will take 50% less what I was asking, would you also like the keys to my car?'

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i always just sell my poo poo for lower than what it's worth b/c:

1. it sells quickly
2. i can't be bothered
3. in the grand scheme of things, $50 bucks is small potatoes in this hosed world.

Slugs
Mar 11, 2014
I tried to haggle an Afghan man at a bazzar over a marble tiger that he was selling. He would not budge and usually haggling is part of the deal there. I ended up getting it anyway. Points for you, Afghan man.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

When I was trying to buy a motorcycle, I went to this dude's apartment at like 10 in the morning to check out his bike, a Ninja 636. He had it listed at $4300 and the first thing I noticed was it had been dropped several times and the front fairing had a massive crack in it, like it had been dropped several times. So I ask him how it runs and he says 'see for yourself' and turns it on, and just instantly revvs the engine to redline without letting it warm up or anything.

So at this point I'm fairly certain this guy has no idea how to ride this thing and it's possibly not even his. I say "this thing has lots of damage, I'll buy it for $3800". He says, no no no I've got other offers right now, but I'll throw in this helmet and Spidi jacket for free if you buy it for $42. So he brings out this helmet and it looks like a dog chewed on it, I mean it had holes and poo poo in it like puncture marks, and his Spidi jacket is some bullshit windbreaker that wouldn't stop anything from just ripping off my skin in a crash.

So I told him if he didn't lower the price, I definitely would not buy the bike and he told me to just leave. A few hours later, I bought a Yamaha R6 with lower mileage and in perfect condition for $4000.

The next morning the first guy emailed me saying he was lowering the price to $3800 if I was still interested, and actually CCd 4 other people. Sorry dude you suck dick at selling your motorcycle.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I once tried to sell my car on Craigslist. Cheap old car for like $800 bucks.

Finally sold it, but had so many people who would call and offer me $200 and try to give me a sob story.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Buncha really interesting stories in this thread.
I love hearing half-true stories about things that only affected you personally and for less than an afternoon that you still feel compelled to embellish. Just top notch, really.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

Buncha really interesting stories in this thread.
I love hearing half-true stories about things that only affected you personally and for less than an afternoon that you still feel compelled to embellish. Just top notch, really.

None of these stories sound like that.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Also did you just unironically use the term "top notch" and you're not like advertising for a hardware company or something?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Crow_Rodeo posted:

Also did you just unironically use the term "top notch" and you're not like advertising for a hardware company or something?

Gonna make you the 'top notch' on my bedpost you little bitch

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

open container posted:

this is like pretty basic yo

expecting people not to haggle on Craigslist is retarded because more often than not people on craigslist are retarded (most people in general are retarded anyway)

it doesn't matter if you put firm or not, they see a price and will try to undercut you.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2014

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Juanito posted:

I once tried to sell my car on Craigslist. Cheap old car for like $800 bucks.

Finally sold it, but had so many people who would call and offer me $200 and try to give me a sob story.

Haha I could only imagine. I half-interested in putting a fake posting up like this, just for the experience.

STATUS UPDATE:

After setting the price to $800 OBO, nary a nibble. I'm growing doubtful but I'll wait 24 hours before making any rash decisions.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only really haggle at pawn shops when I buy poo poo by getting tax knocked off or cutting it down by like 20 bucks or something.

Got a mint n64 controller for $3 because it was just laying on a table without a tag and I just said could I have that for $3 and they were like sure whatever

In other words, rob all pawn shops

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just saturate Craigslist with similar products for more money and inflate the perceived value

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

mookface posted:

Why not just saturate Craigslist with similar products for more money and inflate the perceived value

look at this sneaky git

:q:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

:lol:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Haha I could only imagine. I half-interested in putting a fake posting up like this, just for the experience.

STATUS UPDATE:

After setting the price to $800 OBO, nary a nibble. I'm growing doubtful but I'll wait 24 hours before making any rash decisions.
It wasn't a quick process, and I was using craigslist Chicago which would have had a lot of eyes. Showed the car to assorted people before finally some juggalos (or maybe just random people with ICP stickers on their car) bought it.

The sob stories over the phone seemed to be foreign students or single moms (with kids crying in background, obviously).

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's a pretty straight up arrangement I mean don't gently caress around

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

:dukedog::dukedog::dukedog::dukedog::dukedog::dukedog::dukedog:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
met a dude off craigslist about his car. his ad specifically said 'or best offer'. my buddy found a serious problem with the car, i offered 'a few hundred less' than what he wanted, dude immediately balked and acted as if i was crazy for thinking anything on ~his car~ could be so expensive to fix, insisted everything was just fine.

dude started it listed at 5800, i contacted him after he'd dropped it to 5500. ad went off CL for like a month and i figured he'd found someone else to sell it to, then recently he started posting the ad again... at 6500! :wtc:

best i can figure is he finally figured out he really did have something wrong, wound up spending several hundred to fix it (...like my buddy said it'd cost!), and is now trying to squeeze that much more out of the car.

if he had just bargained with me a little i would have probably paid like 5100 for it. now it's like five months later and he still doesn't have money. dumbass.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I always set a reasonable buyout price when I auction something, and 9 times out of 10 the winner ends up paying me more than it because they were cheap and figured they could pay less and got outbid

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

met a dude off craigslist about his car. his ad specifically said 'or best offer'. my buddy found a serious problem with the car, i offered 'a few hundred less' than what he wanted, dude immediately balked and acted as if i was crazy for thinking anything on ~his car~ could be so expensive to fix, insisted everything was just fine.

dude started it listed at 5800, i contacted him after he'd dropped it to 5500. ad went off CL for like a month and i figured he'd found someone else to sell it to, then recently he started posting the ad again... at 6500! :wtc:

best i can figure is he finally figured out he really did have something wrong, wound up spending several hundred to fix it (...like my buddy said it'd cost!), and is now trying to squeeze that much more out of the car.

if he had just bargained with me a little i would have probably paid like 5100 for it. now it's like five months later and he still doesn't have money. dumbass.

no dude is just an idiot and holds the value of his item to a lofty value.

see it all the time where the seller asks a 'firm' price, you ask them to knock $50 off it and they throw a fit, then the listing disappears only to reappear a few days later for the same or higher price.

they're hoping some idiot will just agree to pay the listed

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

they're hoping some idiot will just agree to pay the listed

idk if this works for cars but it seems to work for electronics, I constantly see dumbasses paying retail or barely under retail for used items on my country's equivalent of ebay

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Do I spy a bunch of liberals complaining about the free market?

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster

It's clever enough to not really need the swearing. Anyway, I bet he sold them. That is a hot item.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ikanreed posted:

Do I spy a bunch of liberals complaining about the free market?

I'm pretty sure that idiot buyers and dipshit sellers are a bipartisan irritation, Ayn.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I once accidentally lowballed a guy so bad that I actually felt like a dick. I was looking for the cheapest possible seats I could fit in my truck after I got pulled over by vehicle inspections and the provincial insurance place said my stock factory bench seat was no good for reasons that included "mumble mumble seatbelts". I guess they figured no one would go to the trouble of changing out the seats in a lovely old ranger and just get rid of the truck, or something.

Anyway, this guy had two 70s bucket seats out of a Daytona listed for $2.00. I thought it was some old guy just not wanting to give up the seats to his old car for sentimental reasons so I went to check it out. I get there, turns out the seats were all cut up and all the hardware was rusted to poo poo and they'd been held in a lovely shed for god knows how long, so I ask him how much he wanted and he goes

"well, the ad said two bones, but I'll take $180"

I told the guy I had $60 on me and if he didn't like it I was going to the scrappers. Ended up getting the seats and chatting with him over his $50k hot rod he was building. If anyone cares, I had a buddy weld up the seats onto the bench seat hardware and somehow it passed inspection. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG
Jul 14, 2007

dodecatuple secret probation
$5 to stop posting and cucking

• Locked thread