Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
What's up with every rear end in a top hat who watches Pawn Stars and figures themselves to be some kind of master negotiator trying to lowball my listings on craigslist? "$700 FIRM" means exactly that, I'm not gonna budge

Some loser drove 75 miles to get to me today, only to come with $50 less than the price we agreed upon. When I made him aware of the ATM 50 feet away from us, he muttered that it "wasn't compatible with [his] bank". OK, thanks for coming out to look at it!

Please share some failed negotiations you've been a part of ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

EvilJoven posted:

Some guy on Kijiji wouldn't budge on a the price for a CPU I needed to extend the life of my media PC another year.

He said it was rare and therefore worth the price.

Bitch I have an Internet connection and a shipping address. If it was mass produced in the past decade, it isn't rare.

Bought it for half his asking price off eBay and it'll be here in a few days.

What was the difference between what he was asking and you were offering?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

open container posted:

OP, have you thought of asking for MORE than you want?!

I considered that, but then my listing would stick out as being more expensive than comparable items. I figured posting my desired price and not budging from it would yield a similar success rate.

Is this a foolish strategy?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

TOILETLORD posted:

you go high and then say negotiable, and just stay firm at the price you want during negotiations.

OK, I bumped the price up to $800, and said that I'd be willing to entertain other offers.

Seems like this would set myself up for more lowballing assholes, but what the hell.....the goonmunity has yet to steer me wrong.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Juanito posted:

I once tried to sell my car on Craigslist. Cheap old car for like $800 bucks.

Finally sold it, but had so many people who would call and offer me $200 and try to give me a sob story.

Haha I could only imagine. I half-interested in putting a fake posting up like this, just for the experience.

STATUS UPDATE:

After setting the price to $800 OBO, nary a nibble. I'm growing doubtful but I'll wait 24 hours before making any rash decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Sappo569 posted:

that reminds me about the time I sold a video card to an autistic man-child

I had just upgraded so I didn't need the outdated pos and threw it up on kijiji for $50, got a reply almost immediately,

very detailed email asking if it was working well and he needed it but couldn't afford a brand new one and WAS THE STICKER ON THE BACK STILL INTACT etc etc.

so I meet this guy outside a 7-eleven, and he's wearing sweat pants, hoodie and quite the ratty neckbeard. I show him the card wrapped anti static plastic and he hands the money.

'OK see ya thanks for the easy transaction, let me know if it works !' ... as I turn to get into my car

Over the course of a few days I get bombarded with emails from this guy, asking me about drivers, and every minute little detail about how to setup and configure the drat card.

Eventually I get frustrated and just refund him half the price so he will shut up and leave me alone,

thanks for reading my story about how I gave into peer pressure from a autist

Hey, I'm no stranger to poor decisions myself, but why didn't you just block his e-mail?

• Locked thread