Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mahoning posted:

Rightfully so though, Baylor and TCU's problems are each other, not Ohio State.

What would we learn from them playing again that we didn't learn the first time?

If Baylor and TCU were both in the Big 12 south, Baylor would have automatically gone to the championship game and beaten whoever, none of this argument would be happening. Why? Why is it so much worse to be a conference co-champ than a divisional co-champ?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Rightfully so though, Baylor and TCU's problems are each other, not Ohio State.

I'm pretty sure West Virginia was more of a problem for Baylor this year than TCU was.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

After further deliberation, I've decided that OSU should win the championship for future Cardale "gently caress School" Jones participation in the national dialogue about the role of the NCAA going forward.

The idea of this has me laughing way too hard.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Frackie Robinson posted:

What would we learn from them playing again that we didn't learn the first time?

Well this time it will count

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Well, for one, TCU wouldn't have played absolute hot garbage today, so they might actually have an argument.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wheez the roux posted:

seriously gently caress you if you can't root for oregon over fsu

or bama

or literally anyone in the conversation except maybe ohio state

I was ok with Oregon but Bama over FSU? That's a stretch. Bama is at the top of the list for rooting against.

1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Notre Dame
4. USC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Durr, I really have a problem with the Big 12 eschewing (actually not being permitted to hold) a meaningless, redundant exhibition cash grab at the end of the season.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

wheez the roux posted:

seriously gently caress you if you can't root for oregon over fsu

or bama

or literally anyone in the conversation except maybe ohio state

I can't believe you're rooting for Oregon as a WSU fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm pretty sure West Virginia was more of a problem for Baylor this year than TCU was.

As much as I made fun of you for the OOC stuff I agree you're getting jobbed to some extent. I see Duke's eventually on the schedule so maybe that'll help if you end up in the same position in the future.

It's weird that K State has ended up scheduling a decent OOC team recently, cupcakes used to be what Bill Snyder was all about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I was ok with Oregon but Bama over FSU? That's a stretch. Bama is at the top of the list for rooting against.

1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Notre Dame
4. USC

1. Texas
2. the Pac-12

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Durr, I really have a problem with the Big 12 eschewing (actually not being permitted to hold) a meaningless, redundant exhibition cash grab at the end of the season.

I'm with you. Except if you want into a playoff decided by humans, you better loving be sure that your last game isn't against one of the worst FBS teams in the country. If that means you play a meaningless cash grab game at the end of the season, so be it.

And also, that you can claim without any doubt that you are your conference champion.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 7, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Frackie Robinson posted:

1. Texas
2. the Pac-12

Texas is 5, sorry about leaving them off. Auburn would be 6

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

The round robin is the fairest possible way to determine a championship, every team plays every other team and the team that wins the most of those games win. What is difficult about this?

Also this committee is designed expressly so the championship doesn't have to be decided on the field. If there was actual concern about determining championships on the field we'd have some kind of autobid system that rendered all of this stupid bullshit a moot point.

the round robin is my favorite and big 12 just needs to codify their tiebreakers so there are no cochampions and end the debate. the championship was already settled on the field a few weeks ago 61-58 and then cemented tonight by baylor beating the #9 team

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I'm with you. Except if you want into a playoff decided by humans, you better loving be sure that your last game isn't against one of the worst FBS teams in the country. If that means you play a meaningless cash grab game at the end of the season, so be it.

And also, that you can claim without any doubt that you are your conference champion.

CCG are awesome.

I like the fact that there's a de facto playoff before the actual playoff. :colbert:.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Well, for one, TCU wouldn't have played absolute hot garbage today, so they might actually have an argument.

Depends on the division, otherwise Baylor would play the other champ and TCU would sit at home like the losing team they are

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

CCG are awesome.

I like the fact that there's a de facto playoff before the actual playoff. :colbert:.

It's almost never the best two teams in the conference though. poo poo, how many CCG's have there been featuring two top ten teams since they started being held?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's almost never the best two teams in the conference though.

The point is, it ends the conversation.

Whomever wins that? is the conference champion.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
A quick reminder that the Big 12 refused to name Baylor champions with a tiebreaker to the committee in an effort to get a Big 12 team in the playoff and that probably caused a Big 12 team to not get in the playoff ownd

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

12 hours from now Gary Patterson is going to be busy destroying his suite at the Gaylord Texan.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

anne frank fanfic posted:

Depends on the division, otherwise Baylor would play the other champ and TCU would sit at home like the losing team they are

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, the Baylor/KSU game should have been looked at as the CCG, because if they were split roughly by division lines the way they were before, KSU and Baylor would have been the division champs.

gently caress all of those teams for leaving the Big 12, basically. Take Nebraska back, and if you can't get A&M and Mizzou, you can take Maryland and Rutgers too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's almost never the best two teams in the conference though. poo poo, how many CCG's have there been featuring two top ten teams since they started being held?

What else is new. The playoff won't be the 4 best teams in the country either, but unfortunately, worse teams a lot of times have better records than better teams. Welcome to college football.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, the Baylor/KSU game should have been looked at as the CCG, because if they were split roughly by division lines the way they were before, KSU and Baylor would have been the division champs.

gently caress all of those teams for leaving the Big 12, basically. Take Nebraska back, and if you can't get A&M and Mizzou, you can take Maryland and Rutgers too.

gently caress A&M real hard for not being able to put up with Texas's bs. Texas sucks and stuff but who cares gently caress a&m

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Still don't get why we can't do that with the Big 12 as it stands. If Baylor had lost to WVU in regular season and beaten TCU in the CCG after that (Would have been some weird loving divisions to give us that setup, but shutup I'm trying to be hypothetical here), no one would be riding this "TCU DIDN'T LOSE TO A 5 LOSS TEAM THOUGH" train like they have. I mean hell, tOSU's may have loving brainwashed everyone for how well they've made 'em forget about Virginia Tech.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 7, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

So you'd feel better about Baylor if they had been playing USF or some poo poo in the Big 12 championship while TCU sat at home? That's what would legitimize them?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
the round robin is really cool and i like it and i liek football

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mahoning posted:

What else is new. The playoff won't be the 4 best teams in the country either, but unfortunately, worse teams a lot of times have better records than better teams. Welcome to college football.

I didn't ask for a playoff either. poo poo everybody just play their bowls, read the polls and go home. It worked for many years.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Do away with polls and national championships imo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why the gently caress cant FBS do whatever the FCS does for a playoff? Or D2? Or D3?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

So you'd feel better about Baylor if they had been playing USF or some poo poo in the Big 12 championship while TCU sat at home? That's what would legitimize them?

Well at least at that point the Big XII would be saying "this is for sure our conference champion" instead of the cop out bullshit they're pulling now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DOOP posted:

Why the gently caress cant FBS do whatever the FCS does for a playoff? Or D2? Or D3?

Look at this person with their simple and correct opinion.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
apparently art briles ripped into big 12 commish and is gonna get fined which owns, maybe we have a chance if he campaigns hard enough

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

DOOP posted:

money

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Well at least at that point the Big XII would be saying "this is for sure our conference champion" instead of the cop out bullshit they're pulling now.

Or they could just setup a series of tiebreakers based on, for example, Head To Head - quite a convenient metric when you have two identical records in a round-robin conference. I mean hell, they already do it for Bowls, they're just too stupid to actually call it what it is and admit that the team who gets the tiebreaker advantage is the One Goddamn True Champion.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Polls suck, gently caress em

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

tranime scholar posted:

Polls suck, gently caress em

Also this

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Or they could just setup a series of tiebreakers based on, for example, Head To Head - quite a convenient metric when you have two identical records in a round-robin conference. I mean hell, they already do it for Bowls, they're just too stupid to actually call it what it is and admit that the team who gets the tiebreaker advantage is the One Goddamn True Champion.

briles just talked about that in the conference hopefully big 12 just makes it one champion through tiebreakers and keeps the round robin cause i love it

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Big XII should be punished for being a bunch of idiots. You can't really disagree with that opinion.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

anne frank fanfic posted:

apparently art briles ripped into big 12 commish and is gonna get fined which owns, maybe we have a chance if he campaigns hard enough

The more he campaigns the worse it is. You really don't want to hammer home the point that your conference doesn't have its poo poo together (One TRUE Champion!... lol j/k) and that any decision the committee makes is going to be wrong (which it will be inherently).

I still think Baylor *should* get the nod. I think TCU will get it as long as the committee isn't turned off by your interconference bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

every
Apr 24, 2008

Seriously agreeing yall

• Locked thread