Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mahoning posted:

The Big XII should be punished for being a bunch of idiots. You can't really disagree with that opinion.

They're doing it exactly like everyone else has done it for the entire history of college football pre-1994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jim McElwain's press conference was the best chaos of the weekend

Clara-A-Belle for Heisman, long live the Human Society Offense

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

The more he campaigns the worse it is. You really don't want to hammer home the point that your conference doesn't have its poo poo together (One TRUE Champion!... lol j/k) and that any decision the committee makes is going to be wrong (which it will be inherently).

I still think Baylor *should* get the nod. I think TCU will get it as long as the committee isn't turned off by your interconference bullshit.

big 12 is getting left out, time to get bowlsby and everyone else in the big 12 fired so we can have a well perceived conference next year even though we're the best in the nation already

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I like TCU better just cause I watched a TCU game this season and have an affinity for purple. But there seems to be no TCU fans here and a lot of Baylor fans so maybe I like Baylor better.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

anne frank fanfic posted:

briles just talked about that in the conference hopefully big 12 just makes it one champion through tiebreakers and keeps the round robin cause i love it

Link to video?

Video of all post games from today plz

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

I can't believe you're rooting for Oregon as a WSU fan.

Why not? My impression has always been that WSU and Oregon have like the lowest hostility level of any of the NW schools because they're not in-state rivals and have no contentious history (because both have been poo poo historically). Plus Oregon has stomped on UW for a decade now, and hating the Huskies with a passion is something WSU and Oregon fans can come together in agreement about. It just comes down to where you fall on conference/regional solidarity vs. regional/conference hate.

Speaking for myself I always root for WSU and Oregon State as long as it doesn't disadvantage Oregon. gently caress the smug, perfidious Huskies forever though (1949 Rose Bowl betrayal never forget).

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 7, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
All this because TCU was loving obsessed with fade routes in the 4th quarter against Baylor

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Link to video?

Video of all post games from today plz

http://stationcaster.com/stations/krzi/media/mp3/Art_Briles_Post_Game_12_6_14-1417929867.mp3 no video yet

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
They are totally going to seed these teams to get Oregon-Ohio State Rose Bowl and Bama-FSU Sugar Bowl.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

They're doing it exactly like everyone else has done it for the entire history of college football pre-1994

Pre-1994 TCU and Baylor wouldn't even be considered, so I don't see your point.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Pre-1994 TCU and Baylor wouldn't even be considered, so I don't see your point.

TCU (co-)won the SWC in 1994.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Bring back the SWC.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bring back the SWC.

agreedo

ironically, TCU and Baylor and Tech split the SWC football conference title in 1994

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-2014-football-season/2014/12/7/7347123/art-briles-post-game-press-conference-video found the vid

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

And wasn't even in the top 25, what's your point?

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

They are totally going to seed these teams to get Oregon-Ohio State Rose Bowl and Bama-FSU Sugar Bowl.

It wouldn't be that surprising. FSU was ranked #4 already so all you'd have to do is swap out TCU for tOSU and call it a day.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

agreedo

ironically, TCU and Baylor and Tech split the SWC football conference title in 1994

Oh man. The year a horrendously outmatched TTU team played a very, very good USC team in the Cotton Bowl because it was our turn to go.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Pattycakes posted:

It wouldn't be that surprising. FSU was ranked #4 already so all you'd have to do is swap out TCU for tOSU and call it a day.

I am pretty sure FSU was only #4 because Bama was #1. If Oregon moves to #1, FSU will be #3. But I don't think Bama is moving.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Mahoning posted:

And wasn't even in the top 25, what's your point?

That a conference championship isn't really the be-all, end-all so you harping on it is kind of dumb. :ssh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

That a conference championship isn't really the be-all, end-all so you harping on it is kind of dumb. :ssh:

You comparing it to a year where an entire conference was irrelevant is a terrible way to make your point. :ssh:

Also, lol how did you make that point by comparing a year where TCU were co champs with Baylor to a year where TCU was co champs with Baylor. In neither year were either team deserving of a national title.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I love that Georgia Tech scored that last TD just so that FSU lost against the spread again. I would have made quite a bit of money betting against FSU all year like I would have if I knew a bookie.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Baylor convincingly beat a far better team than Ohio State did tonight. There is no remotely sane argument that Ohio State has a better resume than either TCU or Baylor. Also TCU was #3 at the beginning of the day but apparently winning a game by 50 points gets you dropped 2-3 spots.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Baylor convincingly beat a far better team than Ohio State did tonight. There is no remotely sane argument that Ohio State has a better resume than either TCU or Baylor. Also TCU was #3 at the beginning of the day but apparently winning a game by 50 points gets you dropped 2-3 spots.

If the team at the other end of the argument beat a far far far better team by an even bigger margin, then you could see how the argument becomes a bit more complicated.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Mahoning posted:

If the team at the other end of the argument beat a far far far better team by an even bigger margin, then you could see how the argument becomes a bit more complicated.

Could you be slightly more specific?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Could you be slightly more specific?

Ok......ummmmm Wisconsin is miles and miles and miles better than Iowa State. Ohio State beat them even worse than TCU beat a bottom feeder team.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Ok......ummmmm Wisconsin is miles and miles and miles better than Iowa State. Ohio State beat them even worse than TCU beat a bottom feeder team.

So what you're saying is that Baylor is better than both

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ok, so explain Ohio State losing to a bad, bad .500 Virginia Tech team and TCU losing on the road by 3 points to you know, the other team in this whole debate?

Heading into this week TCU had the #45 SOS and Ohio State had the #54 SOS so it isn't that.

Edit: Not to mention TCU beat Minnesota 30-7 and Ohio State squeaked by them 31-24 so it isn't even that!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Kansas state is laughably overrated.

The difference between them and Wisconsin is negligible at best.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kirios posted:

Ok, so explain Ohio State losing to a bad, bad .500 Virginia Tech team and TCU losing on the road by 3 points to you know, the other team in this whole debate?

Heading into this week TCU had the #45 SOS and Ohio State had the #54 SOS so it isn't that.

Edit: Not to mention TCU beat Minnesota 30-7 and Ohio State squeaked by them 30-24 so it isn't even that!

Both TCU and Baylor played 2 less FBS teams than OSU.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Are you seriously going to imply that tOSU should get significantly more credit for playing Kent State OOC than TCU/Baylor does for an FCS cupcake?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mahoning posted:

And yet both have the higher Strength of Schedule! That's certainly...odd, isn't it Mahoning?

Edit: TCU does, Baylor does not. Still, playing a FBS team yet having a higher Strength of Schedule is incredibly damning for Ohio State.

Edit 2:

Ohio State's out of conference:

6-5 Navy
6-6 Virginia Tech
2-9 Kent State (Who *LOST* to a FBS team)
9-3 Cincinnati in the American Conference

Am I...supposed to be impressed by this?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 7, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sportsgenius86 posted:

Kansas state is laughably overrated.

The difference between them and Wisconsin is negligible at best.

Wisconsin lost to Northwestern and LSU, a bad team and a mediocre team. They're bad. Kansas State is much better.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My lovely conference is better than your lovely conference for these reasons that I've carefully put together to help make my opinion seem factually correct. Please ignore any information that may disprove my opinions.

This message was paid for by The Big 12 Conference. 10 Teams, 1 True Champion(s)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are you seriously going to imply that tOSU should get significantly more credit for playing Kent State OOC than TCU/Baylor does for an FCS cupcake?

Ummmm, yes, because I'm an actual fan of college football that understands the gigantic drop off in talent between even the worst FBS team and the garbage FCS teams that TCU and Baylor played.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yea there is. You use unadjusted W/L SOS which will give you Ohio State as having a stronger SOS than TCU and Baylor, which is what I think they are doing.

Then from there you discount the VT loss as a special circumstances loss that is not indicative of the team Ohio State has grown to be, and count Michigan State as one of the best wins of the season.

The trick is using "ranked wins" and unadjusted W/L SOS, by those metrics wins over Wisconsin and Michigan State are better than wins over LSU and Mississippi State, for example.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Kirios posted:

Edit: Not to mention TCU beat Minnesota 30-7 and Ohio State squeaked by them 31-24 so it isn't even that!

And according to ESPN, Ohio State's sos is now 45th while TCU and Baylors are 54th and 59th or something.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
TCU and Baylor don't have great resumes either. Historically, especially; and this season.

eBay Huckster
Jul 26, 2005
gently caress it, just make them play round-robin play-in games

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

eBay Huckster posted:

gently caress it, just make them play round-robin play-in games

I'd be 100% down with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone should just play round robins and then pretend Oklahoma is a good team. Problem solved.

• Locked thread