Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
nolan's love of twists is dumb though, hes basically turning into a white m night shayamalan

also he's not what youd call a mature guy and while they can be interesting his films always feel very artifical and have little in the way of human qualities or warmth, because in general he seems to embrace a sort of high-school cynic mentality towards people and life and it chokes his movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TEAYCHES posted:

im glad you still have a sense of humor and you sticky the right threads. i guess i notice you are getting more and more bitter and harsh. sorry for the feedback

it's mostly just annoyance at a lot of you guys having really bad senses of humor and or trying to resurrect LF

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
i like to imagine spanish manlove is like the principal from breakfast club, like, i make 31 thousand a year, im a man of respect around here, they love me around here, im a swell guy, when youre out of here and youve forgotten about this place and theyve forgotten you im going to be there and im going to knock your dick in the dirt

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's mostly just annoyance at a lot of you guys having really bad senses of humor and or trying to resurrect LF

so wheres the line when it comes to talking about current events to resurrecting LF, which ive now accepted will never happen

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
His movies are good. Inception was probably the weakest but it had some cool ideas.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TEAYCHES posted:

so wheres the line when it comes to talking about current events to resurrecting LF, which ive now accepted will never happen

"just don't suck"

ok still working on that.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ruining a thread by posting in it isn't a thing a moderator should do. i'm not saying the premise was great in the first place but i don't support this kind of thing

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this thread was meant to confront spanish manlove because i understand what mods hate, discovered by a mom

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

"just don't suck"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Arian_Samurai posted:

His movies are good. Inception was probably the weakest but it had some cool ideas.
i thought the ideas were weak but the movie was cool anyway

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

numberoneposter posted:

nolan is one of those directors that cant allow any form of comic relief ever in his movies and they suffer for it

this movement in art, where everything is deadly serious and there isnt a shred of joy, cannot end soon enough. even Dada didnt take itself this seriously and that was after being tricked into killing 6 million "undesirables"

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

this thread was meant to confront spanish manlove because i understand what mods hate, discovered by a mom

that's not funny or interesting to anyone but you.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

i thought the ideas were weak but the movie was cool anyway

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sweet Tea posted:

that's not funny or interesting to anyone but you.

still bitter over dave grohl

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

still bitter over dave grohl

we all are kurt

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

OMFG FURRY posted:

this movement in art, where everything is deadly serious and there isnt a shred of joy, cannot end soon enough. even Dada didnt take itself this seriously and that was after being tricked into killing 6 million "undesirables"
i lodge the same complaints against Ridley Scott

the totally cynical and utterly deliberate Kubrick had many many moments of humor and light decompression in even the most hosed up scenes. its a matter of representing the human condition. if you arn't having fun what is the loving point.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMFG FURRY posted:

Nolan’s a depressive Shyamalan who traffics in doomsday scenarios, catering to Millennial pessimists. “Isn’t science about admitting what we don’t know?” Coop’s daughter asks, but Interstellar lacks awe. Nolan’s imagination is so cramped he can’t depict natural American vastness comparable to Albert Whitlock’s memorable F/X dust storm in Bound for Glory. He opens with a Reds-style old-folks doc to evoke senility and Depression-era gloom, eventually leading to a cosmic odyssey of murder, death, anguish, and pseudo-scientific gobbledygook. Dark Knights in Orbit. There’s no spiritual quest; it all lacks edifying, Christian love. Interstellar’s first cosmic image of the Earth as orb is accompanied by a pointless Hans Zimmer organ chord, but it’s visually unimpressive — Nolan doesn’t know how to do majestic. Unlike Godard, Resnais, Spielberg, or Kubrick, he doesn’t have a cinematic eye.

Nolan sure is a nihilist, though. His scenario, “The last people to starve will be first to suffocate,” offers typically dire teenage imagining. The closest he gets to religion is when Coop rescues a stranded astronaut (uh, oh, Matt Damon — prepare for secular point-making). Damon’s Astronaut Mann enthuses, “You have literally raised me from the dead.” Insightful Coop responds: “Lazurus.” Not really, guys. This weak pass at Significance goes nowhere. Mann’s real, contradictory purpose is his murderous proclamation: “We are the future!” (Read that also like Frankie Pentangeli saying “Big Deals!”) This mad pronouncement reverses Man of Steel’s Jor-El story and trades its Moses/Christ evocation for Dark Knight nihilism.

Nihilism has become a mere box-office reflex for Nolan — a joke that finally undermines Interstellar when Nolan goes soft (“Love transcends dimensions of time and space,” self-pitying Coop learns). Confused? It was evident from the Dark Knight films that Nolan had no clear idea what he wanted to say; now he just gets maudlin. This sap must be nihilism’s flip side; an equally vacuous, corrupt manipulation. And what has moved critics to Titanic/Avatar levels of hyperbole is that Nolan’s loud, flat, gigantic apparatus revives yuppie privilege: “When you’re a parent, you’re a ghost for your children’s future.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

nolan's love of twists is dumb though, hes basically turning into a white m night shayamalan

also he's not what youd call a mature guy and while they can be interesting his films always feel very artifical and have little in the way of human qualities or warmth, because in general he seems to embrace a sort of high-school cynic mentality towards people and life and it chokes his movies

Basically technically sharp but lacking the guts that make a good movie.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

numberoneposter posted:

i lodge the same complaints against Ridley Scott

the totally cynical and utterly deliberate Kubrick had many many moments of humor and light decompression in even the most hosed up scenes. its a matter of representing the human condition. if you arn't having fun what is the loving point.

yeah real life is not grimdark and when life gets bad it's usually ridiculous and absurd.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

yeah real life is not grimdark and when life gets bad it's usually ridiculous and absurd.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what i want is a well-crafted movie that embraces every genre but action and takes place in a single day

and another movie that only takes place in a different physical reality with different rules but does not make a point of it and instead naturally focuses on its own plot which we may or may not understand

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what i want is a well-crafted movie that embraces every genre but action and takes place in a single day

and another movie that only takes place in a different physical reality with different rules but does not make a point of it and instead naturally focuses on its own plot which we may or may not understand

what if it was layered within the same movie.. and all of it was connected...

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Basically technically sharp but lacking the guts that make a good movie.

Slick and aesthetically pleasing but no substance

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
or a movie where a character only shown to have limited interactions with others meaningless on the surface nevertheless conveys a great love and humor through implications and fleeting expressions

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

one of the closest is children of men

The 5th Foid
Nov 22, 2014

by Ralp
inception was honestly complete trash.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mookface posted:

Slick and aesthetically pleasing but no substance

Not to mention not including zero G booty short scene with Anne Hathaway.

hell watching interstellar made me appreciate Sunshine even more, despite Sunshine's tone shift near the end.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The 5th Foid posted:

i went to see it with friends i love and respect and i hated the movie. am i just a poo poo person that i hated it?? what was the appeal for that lovely movie?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The 5th Foid posted:

i give movies points for fun nowadays
my scale is geared more toward things i can give points for than things i can take points away for

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
the best thing i can say about inception is that it had the potential to be a good movie. it was ambitious and i think a lot of people mistake ambition for achievement.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

Not to mention not including zero G booty short scene with Anne Hathaway.

hell watching interstellar made me appreciate Sunshine even more, despite Sunshine's tone shift near the end.

ive never really noticed anne hathaway's booty before. how is it? i dont want to sound racist but she doesnt strike me as the type to have a notable booty

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

the best thing i can say about inception is that it had the potential to be a good movie. it was ambitious and i think a lot of people mistake ambition for achievement.

The best way to express the vastness and mystery of the human mind is a snowmobile chase sequence.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im gonna be the next mod

america's worst mod

The 5th Foid
Nov 22, 2014

by Ralp

i give movies points for fun nowadays
my scale is geared more toward things i can give points for than things i can take points away for

it wasn't fun and it was like 8 hours long.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

america's worst mod
no flesh shall be spared

Willfor
Oct 6, 2004

Cut Sick
I used to think the imdb top 250 was ok but then chris nolan came along and they got a huge hardon for him.

The dark knight is better than the good, the bad, and the ugly? Come on

The 5th Foid
Nov 22, 2014

by Ralp
the dark knight was poo poo holy poo poo.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Willfor posted:

I used to think the imdb top 250 was ok but then chris nolan came along and they got a huge hardon for him.

The dark knight is better than the good, the bad, and the ugly? Come on

movies better than Chinatown:

Toy Story 3
Gladiator
Fight Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMFG FURRY posted:

movies better than Chinatown: