Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Ungrateful

----

GodFish posted:

That was a downer of a lunch time wasn't it? By the time the bell rings you'd already wandered most of the way to class, so you're the first to take a seat. Or you would be, except that two students are already sitting in the back, talking softly to each other, both looking very upset. Eavesdropping probably isn't very angelic, but you can't help but hear them in the otherwise silent classroom. Who are they, and what are they talking about?

Allison Shaffer is one of the biggest gossips in school so seeing her picking someone to tattle to wasn't exactly news. Brad was eating it up though so I was curious and Allison has one of those voices that carries totally-accidently-on-purpose so I figure she didn't care who heard. I flipped through my notes for cover anyway.

Alli: "Andy Thompson is totally coming tonight."
Brad: "Pfft, yeah right. Everyone knows he's at military school. They don't let you OUT of there."
Alli: "I heard he got kicked out."
Brad: "You can't get kicked out of military school!"
Alli: "You can if you kill somebody!"
Brad: "Then he'd be in JAIL, Allison you're so full of poo poo."
Alli: "We'll seeeeeeee~. You should probably be careful, though. I heard he's super mad and he wants to get even."
Brad: "I didn't have anything to do with it!"
Alli: "Yeah but what if he like, poisons the punch bowl or something. Or he brings a gun from military school and goes on a rampage."
Brad: "...you're sick."

They clammed up right after that, probably because the teacher came in and started sorting papers on his desk. I bit my lip. Allison WAS full of poo poo most of the time, but she had a nasty habit of being right at the absolute worst times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

GodFish posted:

Maria
Maggie tries to put on a strong face as you lead her towards the bathroom, but once inside she lets it drop, seeming to accept your help. Clinging to your arm, she starts to cry again, but answers you through the tears anyway. "First Rob broke up with me ... when I told him I wouldn't put out after the ...party! And then..." I was talking about it to Matt Collins..." Here her face darkens, and she spits out the next bit, "when that bastard Anne picked a fight with him.... and then she broke his jaw with a brick! That loving bitch!" She lashes out, kicking one of the pipes under the sinks hard, then completely breaks down, sobbing onto your shoulder for a long time.

Maria Ricca the Queen.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Maria stands arms around a sobbing Maggie. Why the hell would Anne do that? Yeah she had a hard life by all accounts. Supposedly since her mom left her dad had started taking out his frustrations on her. Why the hell no one had reported it to child services Maria didn't know. But she'd seen Anne come into school after been beaten black and blue. Her dad musta felt like a real big man beating up his own daughter. Still that didn't mean it was ok to mete out the same kind of violence to everyone else. Hell, that kinda thing was pointless, a good beating was a lesson. Maria knew. You either reinforced positive behaviours or more often punished negative ones. In this case it would definitely be the second. Maria smiles. "There, there, I can solve your problem. Anne just needs someone to teach her a little lesson. Perhaps if she broke her own jaw she might learn how it felt when you did it to someone else. It's such a shame how many....accidents can happen at a party."

As Maggies sobs die down Marina switches tack "Rob that's what I think of Rob." Maria says spitting on the floor. "Some men just aren't worth the time of day. You just need a man who cares about you not about getting laid with you. Find a guy with similar interests. There must be someone out there for you." As a final pitch Maria pulls out a few paper towels and helps Maggie dry her crying eyes. "Don't worry I can sort out all of your problems. Now let's get you cleaned up and into class."

Find a guy just like oh I dunno Michael? (manipulate): 2d6+1 6 Spending my string on Maggie. to bump that up to a 9

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

GodFish posted:

Matt
For a moment the rain seems to lead you towards your answer, showing you an egg and is Jamie and Maggie together, but slowly parts, each pulling in opposite directions until they separate into two figures, but both indistinguishable from each other.

But then the sound of the rain from your track changes, falling faster and faster until the sounds meld into long slow drips, each one lasting an age. When the drops of blood start falling in front of your eyes, you follow them up to see a stone slab, with an animal bound to it, its belly cut open and their entrails hanging out and spread by bloody hands. The animal corpse changes rapidly, first cats, raccoons, then dogs, working their way up in size. As the last one fades, you know with a feeling of dread and excitement, the next one must be a human.

The bathroom returns with a jolt, leaving you with new questions, and an uncertainty you didn't have before. Your encounter on the stairs somehow seems far less real than the visions you just had, and these mammals look so similar without being born together, can you be sure from that short look that it was Maggie and not Jamie you saw?

Oh. Ooooh. Oh god. That, that was not a good vision. Urgh. Oh god. Don't hurl, buddy. I gotta ask dad to teach me to not feel like I've been on a rollercoaster after sky-reading.

Sooo, what was that? Like... I have trouble telling people apart sometimes. It comes with being a snake, I guess? Like, I've lived amongst humans long enough that I don't make mistakes often, but sometimes things go a bit wrong. I've embarrassed myself once or twice. And twins are hard. But... I can tell the difference between Maggie and Jamie, for sure. One's a girl! Jamie was definitely not in the bathroom with Anne, but it wasn't her going up to Maria. So... where's Jamie?

The visions... well, I can't say if they're right or wrong. They've been cryptic, and gross - ohgodsogross - but they've matched up to events sometimes. So, what? Was one of those Maggies Jamie? I don't... why would that be a thing? How did he do that? Can he do magic, or shapeshift, or what? Were the visions screwing with me? I mean, I'm asking because I'm a snakeperson so I can't say "oh, magic doesn't exist." That'd be stupid. But I'd know if it was Jamie, surely. So what on earth is going on?

He does kinda sit in his sister's shadow, come to think of it...

This probably triggers Jamie's Close to the Sun.

Oh, gently caress, I'm late for class. I gotta run. Maybe I'll get a pass. I'll have to figure out this Jamie Maggie poo poo later. Thanks for nothing, Quetzels.

Thetzels.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 4/5 Conditions: Snob, Drained

A more easily unnerved person might have been put off by Anne's odd intensity. But I'm not most people. "I suppose we do," I say enigmatically, finishing off the rest of the tea in my cup. The thermos is almost empty, and my salad is long finished. So I'm left there, sitting with the thermos, the strainer of tea-leaves resting on the strainer's lid, and the three empty metal cups arranged in front of me. I give her a slight smile. "What can I help you with?" I ask. From the state she's been in, she's been fighting again. Fighting someone recently, even -- she wasn't like that this morning. "You seem to have had a busy lunch hour already," I can't help but add. I pick up the strainer, and lean over to dump the used tea leaves and rice into the nearby garbage can. Before I do, I steal a glance inside -- maybe the leaves can help me glean some vague hint about what it is Anne does after school -- and during school, apparently! -- that so frequently causes her injury.

Gaze Into the Abyss to find out what Anne's loving deal is: 2d6+2 7 I'm going to go with "lucid and detailed" and take Drained. I mark experience for (finally) rolling my highlight.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

I frown when Linda mentions my busy lunch hour. How much does she know and how does she know it? Is she some kind of...tea witch? No, that's stupid. gently caress it, I'll just ask her. Everyone else is filing out of the cafeteria and the background noise should make it hard to overhear. I swing my legs back off the table, lean in close and speak softly.

"I don't need your help. I need you to do two things - tell me what you are, and stay out of my way tonight. I don't think you're with the burning man, you're not walking dead, but you are...(some kind of freak? a monster? what would that make you, Anne?)...different. And whatever happens at that party tonight I need to deal with it, so don't hold me back. Understand?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take that EXP!

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"Yeah, that's fine."

poo poo. Did I really say that?

"Hey, lunch's almost done. I'll see you at eight, then?" Wait, no.

I break away from River shortly after that, before I say something worse. I make sure to switch back to my old clothes before the class bell rings. Cursing to myself all the way.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. How am I going to do this?

Okay... think, Jamie. I can handle family. My parents don't really do the Halloween thing and would rather pretend that no one's home than open themselves up to trick or treaters. And my grandparents leave the TV really loud and won't notice me come and go. I'm more worried about Maggie. She plans to leave by eight. And I know she takes her sweet time dressing up and everything, but I can't risk her seeing me being her. I need to convince her to leave the house a little later. But I can't just walk up to her like this and tell her to leave the house an hour la-

Wait. Yes, I can. Wasn't Linda supposed to get rid of Maggie's boyfriend for her? If I use that as an excuse, I can convince Maggie to do anything I want. Yeah, that makes sense. I just need to drop by the locker room again, get those clothes, and meet up with Maggie before she goes home.

I nod to myself as I get back to class. Now, I just need to figure which of Maggie's old halloween costumes I could throw for myself.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Linda
As you look into the pile of leaves in the strainer, the world around you waves for a moment, and you start seeing double. The lunchroom and Anne are still visible around you, but someone else's life begins to flash in front of your eyes. Anne running along the train tracks until a rotting man attacks her and runs away. A living corpse on the floor of a diner, Anne stabbing him again and again with a bloodless knife. Two dead men eating a woman until Anne crushes the skull of one with a beam and drives the other off. Anne alone at the edge of the party, waiting for them to arrive. Matt Collins is on top of her, punching and punching, until she smashes his jaw with a brick.

The visions end abruptly as the mess lands in the garbage with a faint splat, having taken barely no time at all, but you feel as if you had just lived them, tired, sore, but filled with adrenaline from the fights. Seeing signs and shapes in the leaves is one thing, but have you ever had something like this happen before? And what does Anne even mean, what are you?

Maria
Your suggestion takes Maggie off guard at first, shocking her enough that she stops crying long momentarily. Once shes settled down and you suggest that she sees someone else to take her mind off things, she seems collected enough to be more her usual shrewd self and she gives you a much more appraising look. "I don't know... Having some time to myself sounds good ...But if something happened to Anne there, I'd probably be in a good enough mood to consider it."

Clearly the idea has grown on her a bit. If you and your gang pay back Anne in kind, she'll give Mike a shot.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5(1) Conditions: Snob, Drained

I hesitate for a moment, before dumping the tea leaves into the trash with a practiced motion. No, I can assure you, that is not usually how my little tea leaf reading sessions usually turn out. Although, if they're going to start being different, I would much rather this sort of vision than the kind where everyone is bleeding and dead. It does rather put Anne's question in a more reasonable context, too. She hunts... zombies? Scary unnatural things? That was certainly good to know for future reference. The main issue with the question, though, is that -- aside from being unsure if telling Anne about what I was was even a good idea -- I don't actually know the answer myself. What do I say? That I... want things, and I know how to get them? Try to explain to her how I could almost see the little strands of debt and obligation that tied her to other people, and how I had this... thing growing inside of me that wasn't happy unless I was doing everything I could to tie all of them to me?

No. That was how to sound like a crazy person. So, I raise my eyebrows in surprise, like I have no idea what she's talking about. "What am I? I could a question like that the wrong way pretty easily," I say, attempting dry amusement.

Shut Anne Down by brushing off her question: 2d6+1 5... Nope. I level, though. Going to go ahead and pick up Wingman.

... and once again, failing. Maybe I'm more affected by these visions than I thought.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:

TurninTrix posted:

"Yeah, that's fine."

poo poo. Did I really say that?

"Hey, lunch's almost done. I'll see you at eight, then?" Wait, no.

"Ok, I'll see you then." I waited for her to leave then walked towards my next class. On the way there I text Jeremy, "Hey, pick me up at 7:30 and don't forget the bring the stuff," while quietly humming a happy tune.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Wrong answer, Mills. That raised eyebrow and that smug non-answer might as well be tap-dancing on my last remaining nerve. God, is she always like this? Self assured, sure she's in control, that she's invincible? I could shatter that illusion for her, just reach across the table and... No. Not now, not like this.

"Alright, fine, you wanna play dumb, whatever. You're not my business until you start hurting people. That happens, and we get to have another chat. Don't expect any favors from me then."

I start to push away from the table and a thought occurs to me:

"And if you go to the party tonight come find me when the screaming starts. We'll see if you know what you are then."

I spoil that badass line by flinching when I push back and feel my rib shift a little. I stand up, hoping Linda didn't notice, and start to walk away from the table.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

Well, that could have gone worse than it did. I retrain myself from asking her how badly she's hurt -- I rather doubt Anne would appreciate it from me right now. And, thanks to my recent vision, I have quite literally seen the other guy. I can safely say that Anne managed to come out somewhat the better compared to our unfortunate brick-faced classmate. I pick drain the rest of the tea directly from my thermos, gather up the rest of my things, and head off for afternoon classes.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Anne and Linda each take a string on each other for that somewhat revealing exchange.

----NEW SCENES----
Linda's House
Linda, you're in the middle of putting the finishing touches on your costume when you hear the doorbell ring. That's probably Matthew looking for his tea. Before you have much of a chance to respond, you can hear your Mom answering it. Why where you hoping to get it before she could? By the way, how did you let Maggie know you'd taken care of Rob?

Matthew, are you feeling nervous at all when you give the bell a ring to Linda's house? She might make your eyes pop like Maria, but she's pretty cute isn't she? When the door opens, it isn't Linda though, but an attractive blonde haired woman you can only assume is Mrs. Mills. What does she say right off the bat that makes you embarrassed? What costume did you end up going with anyway, and are you wearing it already?

Maria's House
Maria, the gang is meeting up at your house to finish off the costume preparations. Michael and James are there on time since you all have to make sure your coordinated Munster outfits are perfect. Amy was running late, so that you only just where finishing when she arrived at the door. What was taking so long to finish up about them?

When Amy walks ins, her costume takes your breath away. She looks... wow. She'll easily be the second most stunning person at the party, after you, obviously. What costume is it, and what about it manages to hit all of your buttons? Are you usually interested in girls at all, or is this the first time?

River's House
River, you've been waiting for Jeremy to show up for a little while now, but he's running a bit late. While you've been home you saw Rob come in after swim team looking pretty down, and then later heard him on the phone from his room. When he comes out later to hop in a friends car, he looks a lot more cheerful, but still not his usual carefree self. What do you make of the difference between this and his attitude via text from earlier?

Finally a text arrives from Jeremy, asking you to head over to help him pick out a costume. His house is only about a block away, but still, talk about rude.

At School: Before the end of the day
Jamie, where are you changing into Linda's cloths? Where do you know Maggie is right now for you to have a word with her anyway?

Natalie's House
Zoe, Natalie greets you with a hug and a plate of halloween cookies to thank you for helping her out and leads you inside, chattering away about something or another. What's Natalie's house like anyway? When she tells you what she wants help with, you can't help but feel rather used. What about it is so outrageous? Also, did you already stop at walmart for your costume, or are you going to have to do it later?

Anne's House
Anne, your father just greeted you with a nod before he went back to his bottle of beer and tv when you got home, not even noticing you were out a few hours too early. Your costume plan was a fairly simple one, but it still took you hours, and you still aren't quite done. What kept you preoccupied while you were working on it, and what piece are you going to have to get from somewhere else?

On your way out to get it, you pass by your dad again. He hadn't said anything to you since you got home, though you heard him yelling about some sports call on the tv, but as you head for the door he looks up at you. "I heard you were hanging out with that Oritz kid at school the other day. What did I tell you about his family?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Ungrateful
----

GodFish posted:

Natalie's House
Zoe, Natalie greets you with a hug and a plate of halloween cookies to thank you for helping her out and leads you inside, chattering away about something or another. What's Natalie's house like anyway? When she tells you what she wants help with, you can't help but feel rather used. What about it is so outrageous? Also, did you already stop at walmart for your costume, or are you going to have to do it later?

Nats made some really good cookies. I knew she made them herself too, she didn't get them from a store or her mom. I wish I could have had more than one, but she was in a big hurry to get my help with the costume. When I saw it I understood why. Natalie was doing some kind of Marie Antoinette thing, huge bell skirt and ruffles and a powdered wig and everything. She'd sewn it herself and she needed someone to well, WEAR it while she finished sewing on the lace and ruffley bits around the arms. So I got to stand there like a dummy (har har) trying not to get poked by needles for an hour. I couldn't even ask to use the bathroom, which sucked.

When she was finally done I stripped out of the dress and helped her with the corset then finished off the cookie plate while she did her makeup. I grabbed my walmart bag, feeling kind of embarrassed at the amount of effort I hadn't bothered to put into this whole... thing...

Oh no.

The plan had been to grab a cheap kid's angel costume for the halo and wings and wear a white skirt over my jeans so I didn't freeze to death. But I'd been in a huge hurry last night, so I just hadn't noticed that what I'd actually grabbed was a SEXY angel costume from the ladies' section. My face flushed red. I didn't have time to take it back. Heck I could still go with the plan, even though the amount of glitter on the wings bordered on criminal, and the Halo had little hearts in it.

"Nats... I think I need help..." I said, knocking on the bathroom door.

----

I would like to Submit Myself to Natalie's judgement so I can earn a Forgiveness rank up. Zoe will let Nats dress her up however she likes, and suffer through the party wearing it. Oh there wasn't really space for it so I'll say Natalie is well-off but not rich. Her house is a nice 2 storey brick place in the good part of town.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 24, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Boots, jeans, denim shirt, and tool-belt are easy enough, it would be weirder if I didn't have them lying around. The time is mostly in making sure they're clean and dry, polishing the boots and fixing a couple buttons on the shirt. The only thing I'm missing is a red headscarf. I could swear I had one lying around in one of these drawers...oh, right. I was wearing it when I was at work, the first time I saw one of the dead men. I think I threw it out because of the odd stains. Well, that shouldn't be a problem. There's a thrift shop and a dollar store on the way to the party site, I can just pick something up. The real problem I have to think about is Jamie, and Maggie. What if they both go to the party? I don't think Maggie will, not after I upset her today, but if Jamie goes as her and she's not there it's going to confuse people. What if they both go without telling each other? How can Jamie go in costume without stealing something else from Maggie? And how deep do those changes go? Jamie sure felt like a real girl when he was touching me. How much is he like me when he...is...me?

God, this is so weird. If I got him to dress like River what would he feel like? I wonder if... Mind out of the gutter, Anne Andrews! Got to get ready for a fight, no time to think about soft skin and deep, pretty eyes.

I'm just heading out when Dad starts interrogating me from his chair. I roll my eyes and groan pretty convincingly.

"Ugh, Dad. We weren't 'hanging out', we have homeroom and like half our classes together. It's not that big a school that I can avoid everyone who's family has a lovely history. I'm enough of an outcast as it is."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 9

What will it take to get Dad to drop this line of questioning?

Also I think I mark XP because it's a new scene.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Okay, so I'm partly wearing my costume. Right now it's black jeans and some black boots, with a long-sleeved shirt on top so I don't turn up to Linda's dressed like a goofball. The rest is in my room at home - t-shirts, two plain black and one blue, a pair of old blue jeans and a belt. I'm gonna go in that room as Michael Ortiz, and emerge from it as motherfucking Sub Zero. It's gonna own. If I can get Dad to let me drive the Oldsmobile too, my life is complete.

So I'm at Linda's, kinda dressed up, kinda nervous cause I'm not exactly a socialite - never been around to anyone else's house that often - and I think her stepmom opens the door? She's, well, you know. The boys at school talk about her sometimes, I'm sure I don't have to tell you what they say. And the first thing out of her mouth is "I didn't know Linda had a boyfriend." Like, what are you supposed to say to that? I mean, Linda's cute, and all... She's super focused all the time which is pretty cool, and the glasses are kinda hot. Did I dress up too much? I like business-casual. That's probably why. She's smart too, and she helped me out today - God, I really need to stop thinking about girls or I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. I'm not her boyfriend. Let's just, ignore that comment.

"Uh, hi, Mrs. Mills." Don't go red, don't go red. "I'm here to see Linda? She, she was holding on to something for me. Can I come in?"

Oh boy.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca the Queen.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1

GodFish posted:

Maria's House
Maria, the gang is meeting up at your house to finish off the costume preparations. Michael and James are there on time since you all have to make sure your coordinated Munster outfits are perfect. Amy was running late, so that you only just where finishing when she arrived at the door. What was taking so long to finish up about them?

When Amy walks ins, her costume takes your breath away. She looks... wow. She'll easily be the second most stunning person at the party, after you, obviously. What costume is it, and what about it manages to hit all of your buttons? Are you usually interested in girls at all, or is this the first time?

Getting the outfits right was taking forever. They had to be absolutely perfect if we were to make exactly the right impression at the party. Still between getting ready I was brainstorming ideas for the night, I had a couple of problems to sort out, Firstly and most importantly I needed to snag a date for the big party next week. River looked like the best bet but so far but so far he hadn't even batted an eye in her direction. Still she was sure she could show him what he was missing out on. But there was also the Andrews kid to sort out, people breaking jaws were bad for business, well unless you were a dentist anyway. She needed to get Anne alone for a while and explain the facts of life to her. Finally there was the other important bit seeing and being seen. She'd have to spend as much of the evening as possible circulating. Keeping an eye on the crowd who was in with who, who was out with who, who might offer a favour, who might need one... It was going to be a busy night but a fun one.

I was wondering where Amy had got too when the doorbell went. Dad had beaten me to the door and he stared through the little peephole in the door. I dunno what he saw but he just burst out laughing and said "I think it's for you. I don't think this is one of mine." I unlocked the door and there was Amy stood head to toe in her costume She'd gone for a real gangster look. She'd gone the whole hog as well Fedora, pinstriped suit even a replica tommy gun. No wonder dad had thought it was funny. But...wow she looked good, the suit fitted her to perfection like it had been tailored just for her, I just stood in the doorway watching her as she gave it a little twirl in her heels "well how do I look?" I was paralysed for a moment. I've always been glad to have Amy as a friend but this was the first time I'd noticed her as a woman. All those sports had given her a firm toned body and well the suit didn't do a lot to hide it. I don't think I've ever looked at a girl like that before but my mouth seemed to know what to stay "--you look ravishing." then she smiled at me. I coulda sworn I saw Jimmy shake his head slightly out of the corner of my eye but I couldn't tear my eyes away from her to check. Eventually my mind came back to Earth. "Let's go knock all the boys dead and show em what they've been missing." As we all piled into Dad's car I noticed that Amy insisted on taking the front seat next to me.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

GodFish posted:

River's House
River, you've been waiting for Jeremy to show up for a little while now, but he's running a bit late. While you've been home you saw Rob come in after swim team looking pretty down, and then later heard him on the phone from his room. When he comes out later to hop in a friends car, he looks a lot more cheerful, but still not his usual carefree self. What do you make of the difference between this and his attitude via text from earlier?

Finally a text arrives from Jeremy, asking you to head over to help him pick out a costume. His house is only about a block away, but still, talk about rude.

I spend about an hour putting my costume on. I'd worked on this thing over the last month, and all that was left was to put it in without messing it up. I was so happy when I found an old fencing sword in the thrift shop. It didn't take much more than a smile and a bit of innuendo to work down the price to just five bucks.

I was about halfway done putting on my costume and grabbing some water when I saw Rob come in. He didn't look like his usual self. I wonder what happened. He seemed like breaking up with Maggie didn't really effect him from his text. This has to have something to do with Linda. I wonder what she did. She promised no one would get hurt.

Speaking of promises, Jeremy should be here by now. I'd been waiting on the couch for fifteen minutes after putting on my costume and doing my hair when Rob walked out looking a lot more cheerful. That call must have been from some girl or something. Still, normally he's a lot more loose. He still looks a bit wound up. It's definitely gotta be Linda. I'm gonna have to find out what she did. She better not have hurt him.

I finally got a text from Jeremy to meet him at his house. The nerve on this guy. He didn't promise he'd pick me up but he might as well have. He better have brought what he promised though. Or else I don't know what I will do...

I picked up my olive field jacket and threw it on. It was a bit over-sized and well-worn, but I easily pull of the look. I don't plan to keep it on during the party anyway, even though it's out-doors, but it'll be nice for the walk over to Jeremy's. He better be done disappointing me tonight.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

I didn't actually get to see Maggie again before class ended. We didn't have any classes together in the afternoon, and I didn't run into her in the hall or anything after lunch. So, I sent her a text assuring her that everything was taken care of with Rob, and promising that I'd see her later at the party.

As for mom... well, why do you think? Mom is kind of embarrassing as gently caress anytime she gets around my classmates. Particularly guys. I can just hear her now. 'So, Linda,' she likes to coo. 'There's someone here to see you. A boy!' Ugh. Not exactly the sort of atmosphere I want to project to someone like Matt. Sure, his family is loaded, but Matthew himself is... not particularly close to the top of the social totem pole of Salvation High. It might be handy to have him owing me a favour or two, but I would still rather maintain something of a distance between him and me. So I'm maybe a little bit annoyed when I hear someone ringing the doorbell... and mom gets it before I can even get out of my room. I abandon my completed costume -- I'm going as a knight in shining armour, complete with sword and shield -- on my bed, and hurry up the stairs before mom can cause too much damage.

I get up the stairs, and there they are. Matthew looking a bit dressy, with mom standing there with this obnoxiously twee smirk on her face. I think I've said it before -- if you take one look at either of my parents, it becomes pretty obvious that I'm adopted. It's not just that I'm Chinese and she's not -- mom's tall, platinum blonde and vaguely Nordic. About as far from my own features as you can get. "Matthew is just here to borrow some tea," I corroborate, trying to muster some dignity.

Mom gives me a knowing look that kind of makes me want to say something we'll both regret. "Alright, then. You kids leave the door open if he's going to be in your room!" Which, given that my room is in the basement, isn't going to do much, given that the door is down a flight of stairs.

I try not to let the heat creeping into my face in spite of my best efforts not to blush distract me as mom retrieves her coffee and disappears back in the direction of her home office. "I've got it waiting downstairs," I tell him. "Shouldn't take too long to get it out."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3(+1)/5 | Conditions:

"Okay, sure."

Man, that was awkward. I let myself in, wipe my boots. I am trying hard not to look at Linda or go red. Uh, small talk, small talk.

"So, your room's downstairs? That sounds cool. Like a lair, or something. Is, is it alright down there? I'd miss having a window."

Man, I hope I'm not too dressed up for her. I even put on aftershave - not sure why. Kind of an automatic thing. I make to go down to Linda's room, then realise I'd be barging right past her like an idiot and stop abruptly, right in front of her. I get a whiff of whatever brand of perfume she wears.

"So, uh, can I come down? If, if it's not weird, or anything." Smooth.

Rolling to Turn On Linda:
(Delmas) !roll 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) Delmas, 7+1 = 8

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 26, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I don't want to risk changing in a crowded locker room this time, so I slip away from class a little earlier than usual. I just make an excuse and sneak off with my bag. No one bothers to check for me, so yeah. I get out of the locker rooms with a new set clothes and change in a restroom at the other side of the campus. Just be sure.

Okay, so I'm really lucky I got away with both Linda's clothes and her glasses, because I'm not sure how I could have pulled this off otherwise. I mean, my eyes are only a little worse off than her's, but it's enough of a difference that I can't use my own glasses over her. I still get surprised on how much I can imitate someone with just their clothes. Physically, at least. Personality-wise? Well, I watch Linda enough that I think I can play this right. I just have to act self-important and talk about tea. Done deal.

By the time I get out of the stall, it's after school bell and I'm feeling a lot prettier again. So, I know that Maggie passes by the gym around this time to meet up with her squad. They don't practice every day, but they do hold these after-school meetings for a few minutes to make plans and stuff. I should be able to catch her before she finishes.

And I better hurry too, because I need to plan my own costume out of Maggie's stuff.

Rolling Feathers: Trix, 8+1 = 9. I'll pick "the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone".

Mitama fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 27, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

"Weird? No, of course it's not weird! Not weird at all." Oh no, why is this suddenly weird? Ugh, I'm acting like an idiot, I'm supposed to be cooler than this! Like, I've been around Matthew before. And I guess he's not ugly or anything, but I don't usually go for the... bedraggled, awkward nerd look. But suddenly, he's unexpectedly close, and he actually cleans up pretty well, and he's wearing aftershave the doesn't make him smell like someone's creepy grandpa, somehow.

Take a string on Linda.

Okay, Linda, head in the game! "Okay, it's just this way," I tell him, turning away hurriedly. If I blushed a little at mom being mom earlier, then it's nothing compared to what's going on now. Hopefully I turned away before he noticed that. Like I said, my room is in the basement. And it is not like a 'lair' -- it is a completely finished basement, with hardwood floors and no exposed drywall in sight. The stairs start by the front door, then go down into this little hallway that has my room, the laundry room, and the downstairs bathroom in it. I push open the first door on my right, and, as per mom's instructions, leave it open.

My room's pretty big -- one of the benefits of being willing to literally live in my parent's basement. In one corner is my bed (complete with knight costume draped across it), and a desk with a computer and a stainless steel electric kettle sitting on it. Literally every other wall, though, is dominated by bookshelves holding the majority of my collection. At a glance, the shelves are a jumble, filled with tins, jars and bags of tea in all different shapes and colours seemingly placed at random. But I know my system well enough that I can find anything I need to pretty fast. "The mate is over here," I say, indicating a section of shelf dominated by containers labelled in Spanish. "I should have something your father will like."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Zoe
After you explain the situation to Natalie, and she finishes laughing, she has you try on the angel to see what it actually looks like. Once you're modeling it though, she shakes her head. "That won't do, you'll freeze to death in that tonight." After thinking for a minute, she gets up and heads out of the room, "Wait here a minute."

Several minutes later she comes back with a stack of old costumes and starts having you try them on one after another. None of them seem very suitable to you, and most of them are the same kind of high effort costume as Nat's current outfit, and you couldn't just go in one of her old ones, but as you go through them she starts smiling, and it just keeps getting wider. Once you've gone through them all, she puts a scattering of pieces on you from different costumes and starts altering them. After at least another hour of getting poked with needles again, she stands back and holds up a mirror, smirking slightly. "Perfect!"

You couldn't tell while she was working on it, but what you have on now is a warm and not objectionably revealing demoness outfit that still manages to look almost as hot, though much more refined, as the stupid sexy walmart angel.

Matthew, Linda

The Bait posted:

You have a collection of beautiful things – maybe zines, jazz records, or old jewelry. When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy. They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours. Also, choose one:
- they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them,
- the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Anne
Dad sighs, and gives you the most sober look you've seen from him in awhile. "I know it seems harsh, but be careful around him. He might be alright now, but his family is bad to the bone, every last one of them has been. You don't have to avoid him at school, just promise your old man you'll never go into his house. Alright?" He holds out his hand for you to shake, and gives you a smile you've been missing for ages. "And I love your costume."

River
Jeremy answers the door a good few minutes after you knock for the first time, but he looks relieved to see you. "You gotta help me out man, I can't figure out which to go with!" He hurries you up to his room and gestures at his bed where he had three costumes laid out, and the promised shrooms. He's got a generic 'old wizard' outfit which you're pretty sure is supposed to be a cut-price Gandalf, a Shaggy costume and, is that... Kim Jung Un?

Maria
You arrive at the party at just the right time, not early enough to be lame and for it not to have started off yet, but not late enough that you'll miss anything or risk not being noticed. Did you notice anything odd about the town during the drive though?

As you look around at the people who are already there, you see someone who has something you want, who are they and what is it? You also can see that Anne hasn't shown up, so no action needed on that part yet. Did you talk about that with your gang at all before you arrived?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Godfish and I went through this in one post so I can catch up.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

• Sure enough as you head around the outside of the gym you can see Maggie's cheer group heading off in different directions. You made it just in time, and once she spots you she heads your way. Maggie greets you with a smile, but you know her well enough to see that she's putting on a brave face to cover that she's fairly upset. Probably the whole Rob thing still.
_____

"Hello, again." I start, summoning all I know about Linda into my presentation. "You shouldn't have to worry about Rob, he should be dealt with." I'm assuming that Linda's actually good on her word, so I can say this with confidence.
_____

• Maggie beams at you, her troubles momentarily forgotten, and leans in to give you a tight hug. "I knew I could count on you!" When she pulls back she still seems troubled, but much more genuinely happy than she was before.
_____

I return the hug. I mean, I take a lot of hugs from my sister. And Linda shouldn't look awkward at a moment like this.

"But I want to make doubly sure he doesn't come limping back looking for you. Would it be alright if you came in... say, at least an hour or so late?" I smile. "Just so I can make sure that it's all clear for you. And you can come in with a fashionably late entrance, I know your costume will be wonderful."

Trying to manipulate Maggie here: Trix, 3 +1 = 4. Nope!
_____

• Maggie frowns for a moment, then eventually nods. "Yeah, that'll work. I don't want that jerk to show up and ruin everything. Let me know once you've scoped it out though, okay?"
_____

"Yeah, sure..." Okay, that might be tricky. I don't have Linda's phone or anything. Should I borrow it during the party? Or maybe dress up as Linda and call on the phone in Cody's house? I file that in my head. "So, heading home already?"
_____

• Maggie nods and turns to look towards the parking lot, "I've got a little bit more work to do on the costume, but its almost done."
_____

I nod back. I should probably probe a bit. "Did you consider going with anyone?"
_____

• She gives a slightly brittle laugh, and some of the upset from before is back at the subject of dates, "yeah, but I'm going to keep my options open. See if anyone catches my eye at the party. What about you?"
_____

"About the same. You know me." I grin back. I feel like I'm poking a sleeping beast here. But I need to cover my bases. "I know I got off wrong with River this morning, but he's not a bad guy. He might be interested." I wink.
_____

• Maggie rolls her eyes exaggeratedly, but you know she's thought about it. "Maaaaybe, but it'd be a bit awkward with him being Rob's brother to do anything this soon. You might have a chance if you didn't keep biting his head off though."
_____

"I can't help it." I look straight at Maggie. Gotta keep her trust. So somehow, both of my hands find hers. "I have to take care of you, after all."

Being terrible and rolling Hot here: Trix, 9 +1 = 10.
_____

• Your eyes lock for a moment, then Maggie flushes bright red and hastily turns away, pulling her hands from yours. "Y-yeah, thanks." She takes a few steps towards the parking lot then turns back to give you a confused smile. "I'll see you at the party then!" She hurries off, leaving you to get back into your own skin to head home.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 28, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Jamie
Take that filthy, filthy string on Maggie :v:

Mission Accomplished. So, how did you get home after that? By the time you get there, Maggie is working on her outfit off in her room, so you have free range of the boxes of old Halloween costumes. What are you looking for, and what do you find? As you search, the smells of Grandma Chang's cooking waft into the room and set your mouth watering. Do you have enough time to get something to eat before River is supposed to pick you up?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

A handshake? C'mon, Dad, we can do better than that. I give him a hug, smile back, and make an easy promise.

"Alright, Dad. I promise I won't go to the Ortiz house."

How likely is that, anyway? Matt's a nice enough guy but not exactly 'sneak into his bedroom' nice, y'know?

"And hey, thanks! I still have to pick up a scarf from Knightley's, but otherwise it came together nice and easy. I'm not going to be back super late, but don't worry about staying up. There's pizza in the fridge from yesterday if you get hungry, and take it easy on the beer tonight. My OSHA won't cover me if I put my back out hauling you into your bed again."

I skip out the door before he can retort and walk down the street still smiling. If nothing else goes right today, at least Dad is feeling better. And maybe, just maybe, I can save some lives tonight.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anne
You can hear the sound of Dad grumbling something as you leave, but none of the words. So, while your on the way, why don't you tell me a bit about this Knightley's? And does anything seem out of the ordinary on the streets as you make your way there?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

GodFish posted:

River
Jeremy answers the door a good few minutes after you knock for the first time, but he looks relieved to see you. "You gotta help me out man, I can't figure out which to go with!" He hurries you up to his room and gestures at his bed where he had three costumes laid out, and the promised shrooms. He's got a generic 'old wizard' outfit which you're pretty sure is supposed to be a cut-price Gandalf, a Shaggy costume and, is that... Kim Jung Un?

I walk into Jeremy's house pretty pissed but the anger fades away when I kept his promise. "Hey, thanks man. You just guaranteed us a hell of a party."

I take a look at the array of outfits and say, "Hmm... Gandalf goes well with the shrooms, since you'll be playing with magic tonight. Is that Kim Jung something? That Cartmen looking guy from North Korea? Leave that outfit for the jocks. And Shaggy's a classic costume. Between Shaggy and Gandalf, I would go with Shaggy. You've got the perfect personality to pull it off."

I look at my phone impatiently, checking out the time. "Anyway, you should get dressed, I told Maggie we would be picking her up at eight."

walruscat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 29, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Haha, oh man, Knightley's. Not the only business in town that does well out of everything else sucking, but the only one that I'd show my face in. Kinda does double duty as a pawn shop and thrift store, so it's got this weird mix of poo poo that people are throwing out, cool stuff from estate sales, and really sad valuables some poor bastard has hocked to make rent this week. Old man called Wyatt runs the place, he's a total softie about holding goods for people until they get their poo poo together - just don't make any 'White Knight' jokes about it. I have no idea how he keeps the place going. Guess the rent must be cheap - narrow frontage, but the shop goes back a long rear end way, the back end is pretty much buried in a hill.

On the way over the whole town seems still and quiet, like it's about to snow. Despite the cold there should be more people around, coming back from work, or getting dinner, or going drinking. No sirens, hardly any traffic. It's kinda creepy. When a crow squawks at me from the steeple of 1st Methodist Church I nearly jump out of my skin. I look up at the bird and my eye catches the sign out front, which normally says something like 'Don't give up: Jesus Loves You' or whatever. Tonight it says 'Anne - pay attention'.

Oh, not now. Not in the middle of the street.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 9

Gimme confusing and alarming visions about the threat to the party

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4(+1)/5 | Conditions:

"Okay, thanks."

Wow, Linda's room is... kinda cool.But maybe a bit weird. All of the shelves are covered in tea. If I were to go completely balls-to-the-wall tactless, it reminds me of a serial killer's room. Like something out of a tv show. This completely takes the zing out of being in a girl's room holy crap.

Okay, Sir Goonsalot, focus. Tea time. I head over to the shelf Linda indicated and give it a look over. It takes a little while, because I did not know there were so many different kinda of tea in the world, but eventually I find the yerba mate I need. She has a couple of jars of the stuff, and I carefully heft one down and put it in my bag. I don't need more than that - I know where to get some myself now

"Hey, found it. Thanks, Linda. Uh..."

I stand back and look around. Maybe the serial killer thing is wrong. Maybe there's something else to it. Like, there's so much stuff, from all around the world. I didn't know you could have tea with rice in, yet holy poo poo there it was. Spanish, English, Chinese, Russian - they did Russian for crying out loud. Maybe it's more than a hobby for her. Maybe Linda travels the world in her basement room, a globetrotter stuck in her room in the podunk town in the podunkest state...

"Say... how do you get all this stuff? Do you have it ordered in? That must cost a lot." I'm trying to make small talk again, but I can't seem to keep my eyes off the rows and rows of jars and bags that line the shelves.

Gaz chooses what to go for with The Bait.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5

I catch the scent of Grandma's cooking even from here in the storage room. The scent of shrimp dumpling soup could travel pretty much anywhere, I'm telling you.

I love to eat, but I'm pressed for time and I need to set up a costume before River comes over. I look through the boxes that Maggie owns (blue labels are mine, pink labels are hers, jesus gently caress) and find parts of fairy costumes I can frankenstein with some other things to make something pretty. I think I'll go with something that shouts out "fairy queen". Would River like that? He's so dainty, we would make a great pair no matter what he goes as.

I do need to try it on for size, so I make sure to lock the door and check out my costume with the old mirror stashed in here. Yeah, this will do. This will do great.

Now, how am I going to slip out like this without Maggie noticing?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1

GodFish posted:

Maria
You arrive at the party at just the right time, not early enough to be lame and for it not to have started off yet, but not late enough that you'll miss anything or risk not being noticed. Did you notice anything odd about the town during the drive though?

As you look around at the people who are already there, you see someone who has something you want, who are they and what is it? You also can see that Anne hasn't shown up, so no action needed on that part yet. Did you talk about that with your gang at all before you arrived?

The streets were really quiet for some reason. Like everyone's decided to get home early and stay there. Still Maria can't help escape the feeling that she's being watched. It's not any one thing it's just she's got this itch on the base of her spine that makes it feel like someone's following her. She's learned to trust those instincts but as far as she can tell there's no one around. So either it's an over active imagination or she's being followed by someone good.

Still she arrives at the party without incident at precisely the right time. Not early enough to look awkward but not so late that she'll miss anything good. Anne doesn't seem to have shown yet. Which makes things awkward she'd rather have gotten that bit of unpleasant business out of the way first so she could enjoy the rest of the party. She hadn't bothered discussing it with anyone else yet, Amy tended to get a little squeamish when they talked about violence and the last thing she needed was that when they both had a party to enjoy. She'd just have to keep her out of the way while she, Jimmy and Michael did the job.

Still arriving at the party early did have it's perks. There was plenty of booze to go around and people were warming up with a quick drink to get things going. This looked to be a great party except for one thing.... who the hell had made Brad the DJ? leaving him in charge with his "ironic" taste in music seemed a recipe for disaster. Maria wanted a good party with lots to dance to if she was going to work on her little projects. She walked up to him on the DJ stand, he'd at least made the effort to get into costume unlike some of the bedsheet ghosts she'd seen flitting around. But he really couldn't carry off the baseball player costume he'd gone for. "Hey Brad, Hows the party?" He'd actually smiled at her...creep "Maria how lovely to see you and what a magnificent costume." She turned to him and asked "so Brad are you in charge of tonights entertainment?" Brad nodded "yeah I've got some great stuff lined up that everyone should listen too. The DJ we booked called in sick so someone had to cover for him, me." Ugh nothing but Brad's music for the rest of the night Maria thought still if she had too she could take one for the team so to speak. She sighed theatrically and fluttered her eyes at him. "I was so looking forward to dancing with you as well... Oh well I'm sure they'll be other guys."

Not sure if this would be a turn on roll or a manipulate roll but it's a hot roll either way so take this.

Get away from the Music: 2d6+1 4

welp just doomed the party to lovely music

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -1/+1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Ungrateful

----

I felt pretty awkward sitting at McDonalds by myself without eating anything. I'd gotten here right on time but there was no sign of Anne or Matt. I didn't want to be late to the party...

I bought a Coke for a dollar and sat there sipping it. I still couldn't believe how much trouble Natalie had gone through for me. OK, so I never in my entire life expected to dress up as a cute succubus for Halloween, and my Dad would probably FREAK if he saw it, but the black leather and red silk were warm at least. Nats had even done my makeup (which was soooo nice, since I never wear make up and have no idea how to put it on without looking like a tramp.)

Can I cross off ungrateful because Zoe's about as grateful right now as she possible could be?

I looked at my watch and sighed. "You guys got like fifteen minutes or I'm going without you..." I grumbled at nobody.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

quote:

-they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them,

"It's not like it's milk," I say casually. "Most of it will last quite a while when I get it. And I... know people by know, so I can make a little bit of money go a long way." And my parent's are very indulgent and give me a generous weekly allowance. Which I'm not going to flatout say. I do, however, have a fairly amiable relationship with our friendly local supplier, as well as with certain other vendors. "I just... started collecting it a few years back. And I didn't stop." I self consciously adjust a squat, angular tea pot sitting on a lower shelf. "I know it must seem a little... extreme. "

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 (ADVANCE) | Conditions:

I shake my head. "No, no. It's cool. Everyone needs a hobby. I have, like, four." The burdens of being a rich kid.

I'm still looking at the swathe of teas and tea-sets. My eyes fall upon one set - it's bone-white, with blue patterns on it. You know those plates every old lady has, where it's that Chinese thing with the two people on the bridge? The willow pattern, or something. It was like that. A whole set, teacups, plates the works. It looks as expensive as all hell. I reach out, then think better of picking that up, because I am going to drop it and end up deader than the dinosaurs. It looks great, though. It'd be an awesome present for -

"Zoe," I mumble, and then look around. I said that out loud! loving goober, Matt. One of these days, you're gonna end up in trouble for doing that. I can feel myself going red as I pick up my bag and sling it over. I check my watch - poo poo, I'm running it close. I can just make it, if I go, like, right now.

"Well, uh, thanks Linda. You've really helped me out." I smile as best as I can. "I gotta shoot, 'cause otherwise I'm gonna be late for the party, and I don't wanna show anyone up. Thanks a bunch. I'll see you there, yeah?"

I turn and start to leave, then stop. My eyes itch. I rub at them with a "gently caress" and then carry on. Probably nothing.

Have taken "Temptation" as my advance.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Jeremy's House
River
With the costume decided, it doesn't take long for Jeremy to change, grab the shrooms and a couple power bars for later and the two of you to pile into the car. What was odd about the streets when you headed over to get her? Did you even notice, and if not what was on your mind? Despite the delay, its only 8:01 when you pull up in front of...

Jamie's House
JamieMaggie
Slipping past Maggie might not be too hard since she's still in her room working on her costume, but how are you going to get out without any of your family seeing you as Maggie leave? Oh god is that the sound of a car pulling up outside? Its already 8! You don't have a lot of time to figure this out, better get going!

Linda's House
Linda
Zoe huh? What do you make of that? And there goes Matthew with the tea, as promised, off to the party. Shouldn't you get going? Do you have a mind to eye anyone for potential dances tonight? You seemed pretty into the new and improved Matt you just saw, has that changed your opinion on him at all?

Matthew
You don't get out of the house totally free, what parting comment did Ms. Mills leave you with?

Anyway, you've got the tea, got the costume, got a party to go to and a potential meetup with Zoe at the McDonalds. Are you going to deliver the tea to Dad before you go, or leave it until after? Its getting pretty late, so for that matter are you even going to bother going to meet Zoe? It's pretty out of the way from the party.

McDonalds
Zoe
How long are you going to keep waiting for these guys anyway? Anne and Matthew are both running late now, and neither of them had the decency to text you yet or anything! While you finish off the coke, something around the place is niggling at your attention, but before you can figure out what it is, your phone vibrates with a text. Who sent it, and what does it say?

Yes, you can remove the condition

Prompts for Maria and Anne will be along shortly, sorry for the delay

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The Streets
Anne
You look away, blink several times, then look back at the sign, but the message is still there. Anne. Pay attention. The stillness of the town is suddenly stifling, the air is heavy and fetid, rank with the smells of the grave. A gust of wind plays across your face, and you look up to see the crow flapping down from the steeple, swooping towards you cawing again, its harsh cry the sound of your name. Anne! Anne! Anne! Its wings nearly buffet you in the face as it flies just overhead, and you stumble backwards into the road.

The streets around you are dead. As you walk down the center of the road towards Knightley's, you can feel the death around you. Not just the streets. The whole town is dead. Dead, but hungry for life. With a screech of tires a car barely misses running you over as the driver swerves to avoid a collision, but as it passes you lurch away and fall. The driver slams their hand down on the horn and drives off, a hand reaching out the window to give you a rude gesture and swears loudly. Instead of his words however, all you hear is "The dead are walking."

Your head spins as you hit the ground, and you see the bonfire, people dancing and singing and drinking around it, while all around them, the dead are walking, moving in, hungry for life. The second sight ends as you pick yourself back up, a few feet from the pawn shop.

The Party
Maria
For a moment Brad looks like a deer caught in the headlights of something he really really wants to get hit by, then a loud static screeching noise jolts him out of it. He'd accidentally pushed one of the slides on the mixer all the way up. After hastily fixing it, he turns back to you embarrassed but beaming. "Hold on!" He takes a second to queue up some songs to play, then for some reason glances nervously around the party before he moves around the table to take your hand and starts to pull you towards the bonfire. "Lets dance!" What do you do?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:

With her free hand Maria gestures to Amy to take over the DJ booth and mouths change the music to her friend. Brad drags her over to the bonfire and they start to dance as <insert music here> plays. Brad's actually not that bad a dancer she supposes. He's actually pretty limber and has some impressive moves. Still she's sure she's better than him and starts showing off what she can do. He can't take his eyes off her as she flows around him, Hell half the guys at the party seem to stop and stare at her. Resulting in more than one getting prodded by their date.

After a couple more songs, she smiles at Brad and says "Well, that was fun, you're not half bad at dancing." She's kind of shocked to find that she means it and covers it awkwardly by saying "Excuse me a minute I just need another drink." She turns away and slips through the dancers towards the refreshments. Reaching them she grabs a drink and takes a big gulp of it. She can't seriously be thinking about Brad like that can she? Yeah he's a good dancer and even kind of cute behind the horrible clothes he wears. but his attitude stinks and his taste is even worse. Still she could do worse she thinks as she takes a seat on a nearby low wall and watches the party and everyone else as Amy finally puts some decent music on.

Dancing with Brad (turn on): 2d6+1 9 they choose one: give themselves to you, promise something they think you want, give you a String against them.

I'm bad at music so if anyone can suggest an appropriate song I can edit it in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I feel like I'm going to throw up again, but I haven't eaten since lunch so I just gag a bit. How the hell am I going to keep a lid on a big attack at the party? I can't let anyone get hurt, but I've got a wrench and a bad attitude against a loving army of darkness. Can't give up. Gotta think of something. I push inside Knightley's, the warm air and smell of musty old clothes makes the place feel like a grannie could hug me at any moment. It's easy enough to find what I came here for, a nice thick red headscarf. Could double as a sling or bandage in an emergency. That gets me thinking about what else in here I could re-purpose to help me. Jewelry, watches, old clothes, walking sticks, furniture, not really. Some tools, but I'm not sure how much better a sledgehammer or nailgun would be than what I've already got. Wyatt's not going to sell me a gun, and his range is pretty shoddy anyway. Except...hello, gorgeous. How this thing got here I have no idea, looks like something out of a steampunk comic. It's not cheap exactly, but I manage to talk Wyatt in to letting me have it, after he gives me a lecture on safe use, not pointing it at people, that sort of thing. I promise to be super careful (fingers crossed behind my back) and take it, the dozen flares it came with, and my scarf, and scurry off to join Matt and Zoe. Only about 15 minutes late, not bad considering I was hallucinating and nearly got hit by a car on the way over. I hide the flare gun in the tool belt, keeping it loaded.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 10

"Hey Zoe! Sorry I'm late, had to stop at Knightley's on the way. Can not believe I didn't have a red scarf in the house. Do I look ready to punch Hitler in the face or what?"

I make the pose for Zoe to admire, making sure to throw extra sass into the eyebrows. It makes me look pretty fierce and cute at the same time, I don't mind admitting. It feels good to be chatting and hanging out like a normal person for a minute.

Turn on Zoe: 2d6+1 12

Taking a string on Zoe

"Is Matt not here yet? That slacker, I try to make an entrance and he hasn't shown up yet. And look at you, that costume is amazing, you look great!"

She really does. drat, what an amazing outfit. She is way too classy for this joint.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

"Don't be a stranger," Linda's mom chirps as I leave. Man, she's weird. Linda must die of embarrassment every day. Mind you, I'd trade her for my dad in a heartbeat.

Oh, christ, speaking of... I've got a decision to make. Do I go back to my house to deliver the tea and get my costume, and maybe get held up even more by dad, or do I go costumeless and not keep Zoe and Anne waiting? I don't want to upset them, but I dont want to make dad angry either. And turning up without a costume would be super-lame, like, beyond Ortiz lame. But leaving Anne and Zoe hanging would be selfish, right? I...

gently caress it. I'm not going sans costume. I pull out my iPhone and send Zoe a text.

quote:

Sorry, got held up, gonna be super late so I can't meet you at McD's :( I can give you a ride back though. I'll see you at the party, ok?

God, I feel lovely. I broke a promise to Zoe. gently caress.

Time to get those legs pumping.

---

You know how on every trashy drama show on Sky Atlantic, the protagonist lives in a big open-plan house with the wood effects everywhere and all the shiniest mod cons and stuff? That's my house. It's cool - or, at least, it would be if I didn't live there. Or my dad. As it is, we've got weird murals on the walls and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't habe time to explain right now.

"Dad!" I run to the kitchen to leave my hard-won tea on the counter. "I got the tea!"

No answer. He's not in the living room, because I can see it from where I am. Maybe... If he's in the back garden then I can sneak up, change, and take the Oldsmobile to the party without having to have an encounter, and I won't be late for the party either Or he might be waiting in my bedroom so he can give me another talk about destiny and sacrifice and all that bullshit, stupid loving -

My eyes are itching again. poo poo, what's that about? Might need some eyedrops. I dash off to my room to get changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -1/+1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Ungrateful

----

GodFish posted:

How long are you going to keep waiting for these guys anyway? Anne and Matthew are both running late now, and neither of them had the decency to text you yet or anything! While you finish off the coke, something around the place is niggling at your attention, but before you can figure out what it is, your phone vibrates with a text. Who sent it, and what does it say?

I tugged the old flip phone (1998 called, they want their phone back) out of my pocket and frowned. It was Dad.

>>Hey squirt, I've got the rest of the night off, did you want to go to the drive-in tonight?

...gently caress. I bit my lip. Still no sign of the others but if I went home now I'd have to explain the costume and Natalie would be upset if I didn't go now, and... I hadn't had any quality time with Dad in a long time.

>>busy, sorry. maybe tomorrow?

I flipped the phone closed, too guilty to look at his reply. Anne showed up just then, saving me. Rosie the riveter? Well, it was just like her, that was for sure. I never noticed how... well, buff she was in her normal clothes. Did Anne work out?

thatbastardken posted:

"Hey Zoe! Sorry I'm late, had to stop at Knightley's on the way. Can not believe I didn't have a red scarf in the house. Do I look ready to punch Hitler in the face or what?"

"Hitler and all his zombie minions." I joked, hoping the makeup concealed the blush. "I'm glad you showed up I was about to ditch and go home. Wouldn't be much fun by myself."

quote:

"Is Matt not here yet? That slacker, I try to make an entrance and he hasn't shown up yet. And look at you, that costume is amazing, you look great!"

"Natalie saved me." I said, doing a little spin to show off the wings and tail and gave her a stage wink. It was mostly a red bodysuit with a black leotard underneath, and red arm and legwarmers. She'd done my hair up so the horns looked like they where coming out of my head instead of on a cheap headband too. Kind of 80's but in a good way. I really liked it.

Revenge Turn On! 2d6-1 = 8! HAH! Choose one: Give themselves to you, promise something they think you want, give a String.

Matt's text came through just then. I was a little disappointed but not really surprised. Matt usually has to work around his Dad so him being late isn't all that unusual. I looked up at Anne. "OK, Matt just said he'll meet us later. Let's get over there before we miss everything."

• Locked thread