Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

GodFish posted:

Jeremy's House
River
With the costume decided, it doesn't take long for Jeremy to change, grab the shrooms and a couple power bars for later and the two of you to pile into the car. What was odd about the streets when you headed over to get her? Did you even notice, and if not what was on your mind? Despite the delay, its only 8:01 when you pull up in front of...

I’m a bit tense and don’t make conversation on the drive to Maggie’s. I keep looking at my phone to make sure we aren’t showing up late. I’m careful with my words and told Maggie I would be there “around” eight, because I knew my arrival was in my friend’s hands, but I was still worried I might get too late.

I hardly noticed how empty the streets were. It was Halloween and light traffic was expected, but it was practically deserted. As if the only cars on the road were heading to the party.

I snap out of my phone staring fugue with a smile on my face as we pull up at 8:01. Perfectly “around eight.” I turn to Jeremy , smile and put my hand on top of his on the gear shift, “thanks for getting me here on time.”

Rolling to turn on Jeremy:

‹Krysmbot›
walruscat, 3+2 = 5

I jump out the car without waiting for a response and walk up to Maggie’s porch and ring the doorbell.

Get an xp for rolling hot and I'll take Beyond the Veil as my advancement.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang
Hot 1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 5/5

I really don't have much before- gently caress, I hear the doorbell.

Alright. The TV's on loud at the living room, as I thought. Treehouse of Horror number something. My parents are watching that with my little sister, Suzie (it is a family ritual at this point). My grandparents are taste-tasting dinner at the kitchen. If they answer River, I'm dead. If they catch me answering the door to River, with a different costume than what Maggie has, I'm dead.

"Don't bother getting up!" I say out loud, hopefully not loud enough for Maggie to hear upstairs. "It's Linda, she's just returning something she borrowed!"

I hope that works! I answer the front door right away.

"Hey!" I greet River, quickly closing the door behind me. We don't much in the way of Halloween decorations up in front, so the most interesting thing around here is hopefully me. Me and my Queen Mab costume. I swish my hair and wink, showing off my elaborate, sparkly makeup. I've been getting good at applying this on myself.

"Should we go?" Hopefully I distract him enough to hide how much of rush I am to get out of here.

Turning River on: Trix, 7+1 = 8

EDIT: Also feathers??? Trix, 7+1 = 8. I'll let the magic dissipate when I lash out.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 4, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

Jamie takes a string on River.

I stand there looking at Maggie, awestruck, mesmerized by the way the sparkles play on her flushing cheeks. I don’t know what I expected her to be wearing, but this is just perfect. Something about it just sings out to me.

I take her hand and try to steady my voice, “you look totally gorgeous.”

Roll to turn on Maggie:

‹Krysmbot›
walruscat, 4+2 = 6

Spend a string to turn that into a 7.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Linda Mills
Hot -1; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark 2
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5(1) Conditions: Snob, Drained

Well, I don't know. I was just going to show up and see what happened -- no plans to dance with anyone in particular. Matthew... well, I'd never looked at him like that before, you know? I don't know if I'm going to press my luck, though. Dude might be a socially awkward dork, but he seems to hang around a lot of girls already. Like Zoe. I eye the tea set that Matt had pointed out thoughtfully. Antique bone china -- that particular set had not been easy to find as cheaply as I managed. Zoe iss... damaged. In a couple ways, by my estimation. I'm not sure acquiring her is worth parting with something this nice, to be honest.

I'll have to think about it.

But yes, it's time to get suited up and go to the party. The armour is all fake -- foam and high density plastic -- but it's a little bit nicer than that silver fabric garbage you see at costume stores. I'm not going to bother with the helmet, because, like, what's even the point of doing up my hair if I'm going to cram it into something like that? After making sure that my hair, makeup and costume are all in order -- I look drat good, I think -- I pick up the prop sword and shield, and sling them both over my back. The shield has a crest with a knight lancing a dragon on it, and was sold under the listing "Realistic shield of Saint George costume halloween reenactment convention." Whatever. It looked pretty good, and wasn't too expensive to order. that was the important thing.

"Mom, I'm taking the Prius," I call out to her as I climb back up the stairs in costume. I grab the keys off their hook by the door before she can answer. "Going to that party. See you later." I didn't think she was going to object, but I didn't actually give her a chance to. Whatever she said back was lost in the sound of the door slamming behind me, and I was in the car and down the driveway in under a minute. It wasn't far to drive, but I was already straddling that fine line between fashionably and unfashionably late, as far as I was concerned.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Oh wow, I have got to get Natalie to give me hand with hair and makeup tips some time. Zoe looks...super hot, actually. She's going to need a stick to keep guys off her. I know she's kind of shy, so when I'm not trying to stop actual zombies from eating her I'll play wingman.

"Alright, you gorgeous devil. Let's go break some hearts! Good times guaranteed! Anyone wants to hassle you they have to go through me first, you got that?"

I laugh a bit, link arms with her and we walk off towards the party. Hey, maybe I'm just crazy and we can have a good night with no drama. I feel kind of bad about not warning her off, but maybe I can hold things together.

Promising Zoe something I think she wants - a fun and safe party.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Matthew's House
Matt
The coast is clear so far, no sign of Dad or any of the relatives that are supposed to be coming over by the time you make it to your room and slip into the costume. Still no signs of life on your way back, but as you start to head down the stairs, something catches your eye. The door to your Dad's study is ajar, and looking through it you can just make out the orange-red glow of the setting sun, along with the hint of something else. A scent that smells like... Dinner? That isn't quite right, but dinner is what comes to mind.

The unusual thing is, that door is almost always locked. He spends most of his time at home in there, doing more work as far as you can tell, but you've only ever been inside with him for talks about the old glory. You've never really had a chance to actually look at things. But.... The party calls. What do you?

Jamie's House
River
You see just enough to Jeremy's face to see an uncomfortable expression crossing his face before you turn away to see Maggie. By the time the two of you are back in the car, he seems normal enough, and thinking about it more doesn't really cross your mind. Not when you have as stunning a sight as Maggie next to you.

JamieMaggie
Looks like you pulled this one off perfectly. Got out of the house with no one seeing you as far as you can tell, and you seem to be charming River nicely judging from his response. River is looking drat nice too, you're pretty sure this is going to be a perfect night. Time to get into Jeremy's car and rock this party.

The Party
Zoe
Well, you and Anne have got the party at a pretty good time, pretty much everybody is here, but some of the cool crowd are still showing up so you aren't late. What's the plan? You've got a rocking costume thanks to Natalie, but do you have an eye on anyone?

Maria
You have a few minutes of peaceful drinking, listening to actually good music, and then Brad shows up again, carrying two drinks. Helpfully, you're just about done with your first one. Unhelpfully, he's suggesting that the two of you go and have some 'private' time off to the side. And.... Oh dear, here comes trouble, named Anne. She isn't heading towards you or anything, but she's arrived.

Anne
The party is still young when you and Zoe walk in, dressed to kill. Literally in your case. But, nothing seems to be going wrong just yet, no sign of the dead. Whats your plan of attack? Patrol the edges? Wait in the darkness for something to show up? Maybe you could relax a little, have a drink and a dance- hang on, is that Maggie coming in with River? Looks like Matt wasn't her boyfriend after all. Er, or is that Jamie? Do you remember how all that played out?

River
Once you arrive, Jeremy goes wandering off in search of a drink and some girls to probably fail and picking up if you know him. Anyway, you've promised to treat Maggie like a lady tonight, whats the first move? Drinks? A dance? Showing off your date to the crowd? Ugh, is that Linda over there giving you the eye? Which reminds you, you should probably find out if she did something to Rob that had him so down earlier. She did promise not to hurt anyone, after all.

Linda
No sign of Rob, so it looks like Maria did keep up her end of the bargain after all, that's something. Buuuuuut, you can see her hitting it up real nice with Brad. Are you going to let her undo the work you put in to hook Brad up with Tammy Slaughter? On the other hand, you can see River and Maggie off in the other direction, coming in as a couple. How do you feel about two of yours getting together? And... that wasn't the costume she was going to wear as it?

JamieMaggie
So, you said you wanted to go as "Just Friends" earlier, but River did promise to treat you like a lady tonight, and well. River. Across the party, you can just make out Linda giving you a curious look, but that isn't really important right now, is it? Are you really going to let an opportunity like this down? Make a move girl.

New Scene for Everybody

GodFish fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 5, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Hot +1, Cold +2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Huh.

I'm dressed as Sub-Zero, standing at the top of the stairs, and my Dad's study is open. And the smell...

I'm an idiot. I've seen a billion horror movies. I know I'm not gonna find anything good in there. But I have to know. I've never really seen the inside of his study in any detail. I have to know.

"...Dad?" My voice sounds very small. "I'm, uh... I'm going to a party..."

I creep over to the door, peer my head around it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Matthew
There is no response to your call, and as you peer around the door, you see that the room is empty. Not empty empty, it has all the stuff that's usually in there. A cushy office chair in front of the desk with papers, a desk lamp and some 'interesting' paperweight/conversation pieces. Bookshelves lining the walls covered in thick, leather bound books. That sort of thing. Just empty of Dad. The smell is stronger though, definitely coming from in the room. You can't see where from though.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:

"Well at least the music was better now." she thought absent-mindedly. She finishes the last of her drink, just in time to see Brad step towards her with a drink in each hand. She turned to him and plucked a drink from his hand and giggled "My hero!" Brad leaned in a little closer than she was comfortable with and whispered in her ear "how about the two of us ditch the party, and go find some privacy." Wow he had a high opinion of himself she thought it'll take more than a drink and a few dances before she'd take off with anyone much less him. Still perhaps she could let him down gently, gotta keep those options open girl she thought.

"Sorry Brad. Not tonight, I have more important things to do." Did she really just blurt that out? drat the booze must be stronger than she'd thought. She could feel her face redden out of embarrassment. Quickly trying to cover it she scanned the party and saw a bunch of new people show up. "Gotta dash there's someone I really need to talk to." She ignores Brads glare as she slips passed.

Sliding her way through the party she turns up just as the little group of new arrivals starts to break up. She spots Maggie first and her date. She looks critically the Faerie costume looks good on her, and she certainly seems in a better mood than she did at school. But who's that with her, Her heart nearly stops. River. She fights down a spike of jealousy at Maggies good fortune, drat he works fast she thought, I mean she only split up from Rob this morning and they're already together."

Still she spots the other little group that's following in their wake. At the sight of Zoe in her lil devil outfit it's all she can do to not burst out laughing at the sight. She never would've thought that anyone much less Zoe would dress up like that. Still she's surprised she hasn't brought a date, what with the way the little Ortiz kid was following her around like a lovesick puppy earlier. She thought he'd have leapt at the chance to go with his nerd pal. Especially if he'd known she was going dressed like this!

Still the humour fades as she sees who her companion actually is. Anne dressed up like some kind of worker that looks vaguely familiar.. Well perhaps she can get her "business" with her out of the way quickly and get back to enjoying the party. Still there's no time like the present. "Hi Zoe,Anne good to see you both, Nice costumes." she turns and smiles at both of them, "come on, the parties great drinks are over there if you want one. The musics finally decent as well so there's plenty of people to dance with. for you Zoe" She watches as Zoe moves towards the party and sidles up to Anne "I need a favour, think you can break off from your friend and meet up with me in 10? I'd be very grateful" she whispers as she leans closer into Anne.

turning Brad down (shut down): 2d6+1 3
spending my string on Zoe to giver her an XP to go off to the party and leave Anne and me alone.
Turn on Anne: 2d6+1 7
Also that hot roll means I ding, So I'm gonna take streaming but if it's ok with you I'd rather wait and have it kick in later and just have it in the background for now. So I think that means I need some new highlights as well.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

I don't think anything is going to happen until later, the dead usually don't show up for a few hours after sundown. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong about an attack. This is too complex an environment to keep everything in sight. I need more eyes, more ears. I think I look pretty casual as I wander around chatting with Zoe about the weather (cold), how slack some guys have been with their costumes (seriously, bedsheet ghost? wtf Martin) the punch (kinda weak, thankfully) and other stuff. I need to be careful not to freak people out. Speaking of eyes...is that Maggie with River? I turn around before she spots me and lean against a mailbox. I keep chatting with Zoe and nearly send Jamie a text:

quote:

hey dude, you at party? yr sstr is here and I kinda need to avoid. be on the lookout for trouble.

Oh man, what if that is Jamie? poo poo, I might blow his cover if Maggie pulls out her brothers phone. Or whatever. OK, save it to drafts. Just have to figure out a good patrol pattern, like busing tables. Maximum distance for minimum walking. Keep Zoe circulating until she meets someone else to talk to. Eat chips, drink coke. Stay alert.

And then Maria comes up, asking for a favor and getting awfully close. I don't really know her that well, why is she asking me for favors? Is she...nah, that's crazy. Probably just needs to borrow a screwdriver or something. I lean back a bit to establish some personal space and force a smile.

"Sure thing, Maria. Lemme just grab a refill, I'll be right with you."

I fill my cup but don't drink from it. I make eye contact with Zoe to try and say "hey, I'll be right back" in eyebrow language, and then follow Maria.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

Okay. No food around. Why does the place smell...

It's a body, isn't it? Dad killed someone and made them a burnt offering and hid the body under the floorboards oh jesus

Okay, get a grip. I've got no idea if the family does burnt offerings, but they certainly don't seem like the type to hide it if they did. Dad wouldn't risk it, not in this town. People would know if someone went missing. Or a pet, even. Actually, would they? I haven't heard anything recently... Oh man. He's not here, and I doubt he'd give me a coherent response if I asked questions. Also, why would a burnt body smell like... food?

Let's... let's not think about that. I'm not...

(not a monster)

Anne. Anne deals with... stuff, doesn't she? She got into a fight with something, and she keeps going on about seeing something at the Old Plant, where her mom died. She'll... she'll know what to do. I gotta get to the party.

Some act of madness makes me leave, go downstairs into the kitchen and leave a note for dad, saying where I am and I'll be back before midnight. That might be a lie. I don't know what I'm going to do or where I'll be after midnight. I could get smashed and forgot about this and end up... somewhere. But I have to get help. Will I have to tell her... what I am? I might have to risk it. But that's a whole new can of worms. Christ.

I don't have Anne's number, so I send a text to Zoe.

quote:

on my way! :)

Let's NOT tell Zoe that my dad is a crazy snake guy. poo poo would get crazy. More crazy than it has to be. The Oldsmobile feels safe, even though it's a pretty serious contender for "oldest car in Salvation." Dad said it would teach me responsibility. I learnt that gently caress CARS. This thing's air con is terrible and I had to jury-rig a cd player in there via loving miracles. I didn't lie to Linda - four hobbies, one of which is this Frankenstein automobile. Well... here goes.

Wheels don't fail me now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Hot: -1, Cold: 1, Volatile: 1, Trespass/Forgiveness: -1/+1

----

GodFish posted:

Well, you and Anne have got the party at a pretty good time, pretty much everybody is here, but some of the cool crowd are still showing up so you aren't late. What's the plan? You've got a rocking costume thanks to Natalie, but do you have an eye on anyone?

I looked around the place, spotted Natalie, stopped myself from waving. Secret friends gotta stay secret. She smiled in my direction anyway, I think. Sort of. Oh well. Matt wasn't here so I didn't have anyone to really goof around with yet. I couldn't wait until he saw my costume. He was gonna flip.

I noticed a few people I knew from school... *snerk* was River REALLY wearing a Peter Pan outfit? Come onnnnn. I mean sure he was still the best looking boy in our grade but come onnnnnnnnnn. Probably shouldn't tell Anne that though, the way she was staring at him and... was that Maggie? drat girl you move quick.

Ferrosol posted:

"Hi Zoe,Anne good to see you both, Nice costumes." she turns and smiles at both of them, "come on, the parties great drinks are over there if you want one. The musics finally decent as well so there's plenty of people to dance with. for you Zoe" She watches as Zoe moves towards the party and sidles up to Anne "I need a favour, think you can break off from your friend and meet up with me in 10? I'd be very grateful" she whispers as she leans closer into Anne.

spending my string on Zoe to giver her an XP to go off to the party and leave Anne and me alone.

"Uhhhh..." I said, looking to Anne for support. What the heck was Maria doing talking to me? Maria didn't talk to the trailer park kids. Ever. I didn't like her tone either, or the way she was looking at Anne. But Anne gave me the okie-doke eyebrows so I just shrugged. "I'm going to raid the cupcakes then, I'll let you know when Matt shows up."

I kept one eye on Maria as I went to do just that. She was always intimidating but tonight it felt more so than usual, and I didn't think it was the Addams family outfit. My phone buzzed and I looked down at it to check it. Matt was on the way, that was a relief. But when I looked back up, Anne and Maria were gone!

That uneasiness from earlier got a lot stronger. I looked up at the night sky and let Remiel's memory flow through me. Where'd she go? Why did I feel like something bad was going to happen tonight?

I will take the experience, thanks Maria!
Taking Smiting for my level up. Now I just need an angel sword.
Rolling Forgiveness to gaze into heaven: 2d6+1 = 4. O Lord, why have ye forsaken me.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 0 Dark: -1
Harm: 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Maria waves to Jimmy and Michael to follow her but she also gestures for them to keep their distance. No point in giving the game away too soon after all. She turns to see that Anne has picked up a soft drink and has turned back to meet her. "There's something I could use your help with just over here." "Some drunk was harassing the girls earlier and they told him to get lost, Someone said he was back and lurking round here, I can handle myself in a fight but I'd appreciate some help from someone who knows what they're doing." "According to my witness he ran off down one of these alleys."

She leads Anne towards them. "We just need to find which one."

Once they're out of sight of the party. Maria turns and looks at Anne. "I'm afraid this is where we stop looking." She looks back round the corner just as Jimmy and Michael finally turn up, "See the thing is, certain people disapprove of seeing someone's jaw broken, gives the school a bad image and all. Sends the wrong sort of message. Now see there's nothing personal here, but these people are very upset and somewhat old-fashioned in their ideas so I'm afraid this is going to hurt," She nods to Michael as he moves to grab one arm while Jimmy goes for the other and she swings a punch directly at her jaw.

Punching a vulnerable Bruised Anne with help from the gang: 2d6+3 8 they gain 1 String on you

VVV I can't see anything in the rules about this. "If you take advantage of a Condition that someone has, while making a move against them, add 1 to your roll." seems to be it nothing about limiting you to only 1 condition like it does with strings. Still it does make sense given how strings and xp from highlights work.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 6, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
As a note, you can only tag one condition for a bonus on a roll. That'd still be a 7 though.

Edit: Hmm. I guess I interpreted that as 'if you take advantage of a condition, add one to your roll', not 'add one to your roll for every condition you take advantage of'? Those both seem like viable interpretations though.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 6, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Will post later.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 6, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2?/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

A drunk harassing people could pretty easily be one of my dead men, I guess. Don't know why Maria thought I would be more helpful dealing with that than, say, the half dozen football players at this party. I guess I must have some kind of reputation? And then we stop, and she starts going on about broken jaws.

"Hey, wait a second, wh-"

I'm too surprised to scream when two guys grab my arms, the little one getting covered in punch in the process, and then this out of town princess puts a right hook into my face that feels like it cracks a cheekbone and I'm seeing stars. Without the goons holding me I probably would have gone flat on my rear end. Fer Christ's sake I do not have time for this bullshit. I slump a little bit more than I needed too, get a breath, check my teeth with my tongue (all still there, thank gently caress) and spit out some blood where I bit my cheek.

"Maggie put you up to this, princess? Shoulda left it alone."

She's wearing a long, slinky black dress and heels. Dressed for a party. I dressed for a fight. I get my legs underneath me and push forward against the grip of Jimmy and Micheal, kicking her in the gut with one steel-toed workboot. God help me it feels good, like something just went right with the world.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2 8
Smiting the Wicked adds 1, spend a string to add 1 making 10.
2 harm + Maria needs to hold steady before she can retaliate.

The boys drop my arms and rush over to help Maria as she collapses like her strings got cut. For the second time today I'm shaking with adrenaline, but this time I'm not confused and guilty about what just happened. Standing over the three of them with my chest heaving as I catch my breath, back-lit by the flames of the bonfire, I'd like to think I look pretty bad-rear end.

edit: this was dumb and unnecessary.

"Stay the gently caress out of my way tonight. I got bigger things to worry about than you playing godfather or whatever the gently caress you think you're doing."

I carry on through the alley and circle back to the party. Face hurts. Good. Pain can keep me focused.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 6, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'll take my advance for another Skin move: A Little Bird Told Me

quote:

A Little Bird Told Me
When you blab vicious lies about someone behind their back, roll with cold. On a 10 up, give them a Condition. • On a 7-9, give them a Condition, but some people don't believe you, so gain the Condition liar.

Also, I'll let River take a string on Jamie.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 0/5

He called me gorgeous.

I mean, he called Ma- gently caress, you know what? He called me gorgeous. Maggie wasn't the one who came in here with a Queen Mab outfit. Or worked all the effort to get a date with him. It was me. I'm loving beautiful tonight and I'm going to live it up.

Or at least live it up without overstepping my boundaries. I still need to take care I don't hurt my sister like this. I'm just friends with River here. Nothing more. Right? I try to keep that in mind, but I'm right next to him and...

God, is that Linda? She probably finds me and River together really confusing, after this morning. I need to keep my distance for now, but I also need to grab her phone at some point so I can take care of Maggie at home. She kind of expects Linda to call her soon to know if Rob is absolutely not here.

Okay, I turn around this way and hold on to River's arm, clinging even closer to him. "Hey, how about some drinks?"

Turning River on? Trix, 5+1 = 6. I'll spend the string I just got to make it a 7.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)

On the drive over, I feel like I should be noticing something else, but all I can do is think about Maggie sitting next to me in that perfect costume.

We arrive at the party and I walk towards the crowd with Maggie. I wish Jeremy luck as he breaks off and tell him we'll catch up later tonight. As we get closer, I can't help but smile seeing Zoe in her devil costume. Who'd think she'd come dressed like that of all people? I see Anne in her Rosie the Riveter costume. An odd choice what with what happened to her dad's factory. And she's heading off with Maria dressed up like Morticia Adams - but a lot better looking - and her gang. I'd never realized those two hung out together.

My eyes narrow when I spot Linda dressed like a knight; the costume feels off to me but I can't tell why. I need to find out if she did anything to hurt Rob, but it wouldn't be right to run off and leave Maggie just as we got to the party. I'll just have to make sure I remember to catch up to her and set things right if I have to.

I'm trying to decide whether to get us a drink or dance first when one of my favorite songs comes on and makes up my mind for me. But then:

Maggie posted:

Okay, I turn around this way and hold on to River's arm, clinging even closer to him. "Hey, how about some drinks?"

I feel my feet itching but dancing can wait. “Yeah, let's get some drinks first.” I hold Maggie close by the arm, swaying a bit to the music and walk to the drinks. Nice, looks like we got punch. “What will my Queen be drinking tonight?”

Jamie takes another string on River.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

No Rob is good. It's good to know I can trust Maria to hold up her end of the bargain for this kind of thing. And I want Maggie to have a good time -- she deserves it, after all the bullshit she's been going through lately. Honestly, if she hooks up with River, good for her. It might give me a chance to get more of a hold on him that way. Better than her dating some jock I don't give a poo poo about, at least. Yeah, I can probably use that. Just need to make sure they both remember who they can thank for this lovely, uninterrupted-by-Rob evening.

Brad, though... I can't really tolerate him jerking Tammy around, even if Maria shot him down like the ego-inflated loser that he is. I'll have to deal with that later. I do notice Maria going off alone with Anne -- that could be trouble, with the state Anne was in earlier. I'll have to check in on them before too long. In the meantime, though, I should at least let Maggie know that the coast is all clear. She must not have seen me come in, because she and River are heading off in the opposite direction. I hurry to catch up with them just as they reach the punch bowl.

"Hey, Mags, River" I say, leaning past River to scoop myself out a cup of weak red punch. "No sign of you know who so far -- told you I'd come through," I add to Maggie in particular, giving her a quick smile. It turns into a slightly confused frown. "Huh. What happened to the Frozen getup?" The costume she was wearing was nice, but I remember her being pretty proud of that sparkly blue dress when she found it. Maggie isn't really the type to just change her mind about something like that out of nowhere -- it doesn't seem like her at all. I know it's just a costume, but... I suddenly get this weird prickling on the back of my neck. Like, there's something weird going on here that I can't quite put my finger on.

I'm pretty sure this counts as suspecting JaimeMaggie is not who she appears to be. I'll give Trix a chance to offer an explanation before I pick an outcome from Shattering the Looking Glass.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Sure, I'll mark experience.

Jamie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

As we make it over to the drinks, I notice Anne take off with Maria and her goons and... gosh, I don't like the looks of that.

"Sure, I'd like to hav-"

Oh geez, Linda. Of course she follows us. And she want to blow my cover, too? I expected this, though.

"Thanks, Linda." I reply, then gesture at my own dress. "Yeah, my little sister spilled her acrylics on the dress when I got home." A shrug. "Had to throw together something new at the last minute. I hope it isn't too bad."

I scoop up my own cup of punch, acting very carefully as I do so. If I'm nervous about Linda not buying that story, I hope it doesn't come out on my face.

Quoting my Shredding the Looking Glass move for Linda:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
• tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
• or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 10, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz

I've managed to calm down some when I reach the party. The drive's helped me cool my head off, helped me focus. Maybe I overreacted. Dad could have just eaten dinner in there, something strong. I don't know where he is, but it's not unusual for him to work late, either. So it's... fine. Everything's fine.

(i'll ask anne later though)

Hey, the party! It's great! Bonfire's awesome, music is... eh, not my thing. But oh well. I wander over to where the punch is. There's Linda, and River, and Maggie - or, wait, is it Jamie? Screw it, who cares right now? I snag a cup and look around for Zoe.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven

----

I snapped out of it and looked at the bonfire for a second, then around at the party. The whole point of asking friends to come with me was NOT to be all alone dang it! Like, seriously! I gave up drive-in night with Dad for this! I was feeling kind of down about it when Sub-zero walked over. There was basically only one person in school who would dress up like that.

"Finally!" I said, exasperated, giving Matt a friendly punch on the arm. "I see you decided to put in more effort than bedsheet ghost. Anne's talking to Maria about... uh, something, so I guess it's just us for a few." The first few chords of 'The Monster Mash' started playing. "So... since we're waiting... you want to dance?"

Trying to Turn On Matt, 2d6+1 = 4... :(

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0(+1)/5 | Conditions:

Woah. Er... Woah. That, that's not glitter and walmart. That... Er, wow. Okay focus now, Zoe is talking!

"Uh, yeah, sure. Let's go!"

I'm an okay dancer, I guess? Plus, the Monster Mash is not a tune you really bust moves to. It's for goofing around in! So nothing can go wrong. Here goes...

Turn On Zoe with sick dance moves!

(Delsnow) !r 2d6+
(Krysmbot) Delsnow, 2+1 = 3
(Delsnow) SNAKE EYES

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills

I shake my head a little, and the prickling suspicion goes away. It was nothing -- I was probably just still drained from that weird vision I had earlier, and I was seeing things that weren't there. Maggie's sister was always doing poo poo like that. So she'd had to improvise. So I make a sympathetic face. "Siblings," I said, voice appropriately disgusted. Maggie knew all about my own problems on that front.

"Still, it worked out well, I think," I add, looking at the costume appraisingly. "You look great." My eyes slide from her costume to River's. Fairy princess and... well, either he was a sexy garden hedge, or he was also some kind of fairy. A nice little matching set! I think, somewhat absurdly. And the notion fills me with an inexplicable level of satisfaction.

"... and you even match. Was that on purpose?" I ask him.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0x Dark: -1
Harm 2/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

She remembers swinging at Annes jaw and feeling the satisfying crack beneath her fist. Anne spat something out in her direction about Maggie and then her world exploded in pain. A pain that seemed centred around her stomach it felt like she'd just taken a sledgehammer to the gut and she collapsed on the floor as her vision blurred. She half felt rather than saw the concrete floor she collapsed on and just lay there in agony for who knows how the hell long.

She heard Anne babble something about this not being the Godfather but all she could think of through the pain is she couldn't do that to a horse anyway. Eventually the pain subsides enough that she can see straight and she sees Jimmy trying to help her up, With his assistance she somehow stumbles to her feet even as the world swims around her. "are you ok?" Jimmy asks with a look of genuine concern "Do I look ok? I've just had my stomach try to escape out of the back of my spine!" she snaps back at him. Leaning on both the boys to support her weight until the dizziness passes she says through gritted teeth "get me the hell back to my car dad keeps a first aid kit in the trunk, AH! JESUS! that loving hurts. What did she hit me with? a loving baseball bat?"

As she staggers back to the car she continues complaining "Next time Maggie can do her own goddamn dirty work or I'm coming in fully tooled up. Has to be somewhere in this shithole where we can get some real nice gear." She fumbles in her purse for the keys and unlocks the trunk wincing as she goes. Fortunately after having Michael dig through the first aid kit she finds her dad had enough sense to stock it with the real good stuff. She pops a couple of Vicodin and waits a while for them to kick in. "Aaah that feels so much better."she sighs contentedly as she grabs a handful of antiseptic wipes and tries to clean off the muddy bootprint off her dress as best she can.. She's not going to let that crazy bitch ruin her party night. "Right I'm as good as I'm ever likely to get so time to get back to the party before someone misses us."

Gonna remove one harm for popping pills.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Seriously? What the hell does Linda think she's doing? First she gets in between us in homeroom and probably hurt Rob as a result and now she's getting in our face at the party? She's probably just jealous to see Maggie with me. Instead of what though? Me coming to the party with her? Like that'd ever happen. Or her coming with Maggie? Please.

I pour myself a cup of punch since Maggie got her own and answer Linda, “no, I guess it must have just been fate.” I lean back a bit to admire Maggie, “she really does look amazing doesn't she.”

Then I turn back to Linda, “is your date wearing a matching costume? Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you don't have a date.”

Failing miserably to shut down Linda:
‹Krysmbot›
Walruscat,4-1 = 3

But marking an xp anyway for rolling cold.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 7, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Matthew
You start to dance, and soon Zoe joins in, neither of you really noticing the initial awkwardness of your movements as you get swept up in the moment. As you dance, you can't help but stare at her, she looks enchanting and... seductive.

Soon you're unable to look away, and as if caught up in the music, you feel yourself moving without your conscious control, leaning in for a kiss. When you do though, Zoe lurches back, staring at you in froze horror. Oh god, you've hosed up everything now, haven't you?

Zoe
Heaven is silent to your prayers again, which seems to be the norm these days. Why do you even bother? They're never any help. You and Matthew start to dance. You're both a bit awkward at first, but as you get caught in the swing of the music the embarrassment and clumsiness fade. Soon its just the two of you alone in your own world, dancing together.

Then it really is just the two of you alone in your own world. But it isn't the world of the party. You dance together in a lush wood, full of trees, the area lit by the glow coming off one giant tree in the same spot the bonfire and been in. As you dance, Matt suddenly leans in for a kiss, and you get a good look at his eyes. They're the slitted eyes of a snake, cold and hungry. You pull back in horror and the spell breaks, the two of you are back at the party, but one thing remains from the vision, a scent clinging to him that you remember from your accident. Blood.

Anne
That seems to have taken care of Maria for the moment, but this brings up a whole new problem. Protecting the party is one thing, but how are you going to manage that while Maggie is sending goons after you? You didn't know she was in with Maria, but you do know plenty of other friends she has who could cause you some trouble. Specifically, Linda. You knew she was going to do something to hold you back tonight, so this is probably it. Time to take care of things.

Also yes, you're at 2 harm.

Maria
You down the pills, and it doesn't take long before you feel them coming into effect, and it helps a lot. You still hurt, but it's a hell of a lot more of a manageable hurt now. As you work on cleaning off the mud print, you have time to reflect on that disaster. poo poo. The three of you should have had Anne rolling on the ground in pain easily, who knew she'd turn out to be some kind of human steamroller?

Maggie, probably. Did she set you up for this? She'd never really seemed like a schemer to you before, but she did ask you to do it in exchange for considering Michael for a date, and then she shows up arm in arm with River. Maybe she is more nasty than you gave her credit for. What do you do?

Linda, take a string on River.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
New Scenes for Anne and Maria once they get back to the party.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Maria Ricca.
Hot: 1x Cold: 1 Volatile: 0x Dark: -1
Harm 1/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

"What the hell had just happened?" Maria wondered as they moved back to the party. "One girl demolishes me in a fight where I held all the cards. I'm no stranger to the odd nasty fight, but for her to lay me flat in one swift move like that it's uncanny she never should've stood a chance." Was this some devious plot by Maggie to set her up for something? She hadn't thought Maggie would have the brains to pull something like this. But she'd obviously been played for a fool. So maybe Maggie was much cleverer than she looked. She may have written it off as a simple mistake. I mean how was Maggie to know that Anne would be that vicious in a fight? but then Maggie compounds her crimes by tuning up at the party with River of all people and in a costume carefully coordinated with his no less! So she'd obviously never had the slightest intention of keeping her sorta-promise to Michael. Maria is furious. But there's an old saying she recalls. "Don't get mad, get even." Still her first step should be to find out what Maggie's excuse was. Then she can watch and wait, and when the time is right. Well perhaps Maggie might end up in some humiliating and unfortunate situation. Wouldn't that be a shame she thinks as she grins savagely as she moves towards the punch bowl.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Linda bought it! She even complimented my dress!

And I wish I could have basked in that a little longer. This is coming from this morning, is it? I wish they could stop sniping at each other for even an hour.

"Hey River, that's enough." I say, tugging his arm. Not for Linda's sake, but for Maggie's. "Let's just have fun tonight, okay?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 10, 2015

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Linda Mills
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5(1) Conditions: Snob, Drained

Well, that was unnecessary. Someone was going to need to teach River how to behave himself on a date -- flipping poo poo just because a girl's friend wants to talk to her at a party is not cool. I fix River with a frosty, disapproving look. Like I don't actually care about his opinion, but I'm making it clear that he's being a dick. "Wow, he's a real charmer when he wants to be, huh?" I say to Maggie. "Don't worry, I can take a hint, if someone needs to get all weird and possessive on a first date. Come find me later if it doesn't work out, I guess." I take a salutary sip of punch, and walk away.

Shut Down River by being the bigger person: 2d6+1 5. Nope. Linda is apparently not as good at this as she thinks she is. Still get to mark experience.

Once again, my intended icy calm instead comes out more brittle than cold. Goddammit, it's not like what he's saying actually upset me. That would be ridiculous! I'm just... annoyed is all. That's it. What do I care that I went through the trouble of making sure my best friend doesn't need to deal with her ex tonight, and she's immediately decided to throw herself at another controlling--

Okay, maybe this is bothering me a little more than I want to admit. I spot Maria heading in the direction I'm standing in -- I drain the rest of my punch before talking to her. That was quite the psychotic grin she had plastered across her face. "Hello, Princess. You look like you're planning on ruining someone's night," I comment.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

----

So, we were having fun goofing around to the Monster Mash. Then...

Remiel's visions are distant, like memories played on an old projector machine. This one was right in front of me, vibrant and real and I was suddenly rethinking that whole thing about not liking Matt that way and leaning into him and-

Snake eyes!

I took a step back and bumped into one of the tables. I reached back for something to defend myself with, came up with a plastic fork, and held it up like a sword. It gleamed in the firelight. White plastic forks don't gleam like that, but angel weapons do. All of Remiel's instincts were screaming at me. It was his final Order, the one he'd given himself, to defend me no matter what. Right now he- I- we? sensed a Threat and we were going to take... action...

"Matt?" I blinked and rubbed my eyes. Why was I holding a fork? What the hell just happened? I was going to start crying in a second and there was no way I was doing that in front of Matt, or anyone else. "Sorry! I just- Sorry!" I said, then I turned around and ran for the darkness.

Zoe Runs Away! 2d6+1 = 12! Marking experience for the volatile roll and also the forgiveness roll from the previous post.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 7, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

River (Jones)
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

I turn back to Maggie, "Yeah, let just have some fun." I'm definitely not done with Linda though. I'll have to catch up with her later once Maggie isn't in between us.

Just in time, the music changes from Monster Mash - who the hell put that on anyway - to the perfect song to get everyone in a good mood. I start swaying to the song and gesture to the dance floor, "so, wanna dance?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

I cut through a couple of overgrown yards and through another alley to make sure I come back in to the party from a different direction to Maria and her brute squad. If Linda put her up to this after I warned her off, I'm going to find out exactly what she's made of under all that smug bullshit she pulls all the time. What the hell is her connection to all this?

I make it back just in time to see Zoe finish dancing with Sub-Zero (Matt? I would have picked him for more of a Scorpion), and then run off like her butt is on fire. Ah, poo poo. I hosed that up too, I guess. Great day for looking after your friends, Anne. What the hell would Matt have done to scare her off, he's the most harmless guy I can think of. Linda's with Maria, I could confront them both and try to force them into a confession...but I can't abandon Zoe either. I don't know what might be out here, and a girl on her own would be a prime target. Or...a perfect bait.

Jesus, Anne. That's a twisted thing to think. I'm just going to try and help a friend, that's all. Linda will keep for now. I text Matt while I'm working my way around the edge of the party:

quote:

omg you dork wtf did you say to zoe?

quote:

nvm ill go check up on her

quote:

keep n eye on linda + maria for me, they r up 2 smth

Can't go anywhere without it turning to poo poo, can you, Andrews? Now where the hell did Zoe get off to?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Zoe
You duck into the darkness around the party for long enough to get away from Matthew, then head back into the party. You weave through the growing crowd, until you get to the public restroom, one of the few places in the area with working electric lights and a door to lock yourself in with. Now that you have a chance to stop moving and think, what do you make of whatever just happened back there?

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 7, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1(+1)/5 | Conditions:

"Zoe? Zoe, no, please, I -"

She's gone.

No, no, nononono gently caress what happened? What did I do? I hosed everything up! Why did she - My eyes. They, they've been itching, randomly, maybe, maybe she saw, maybe she saw what I was, oh no, oh god please let that not be true, christ

I'm standing there and I'm about to cry like a loving hatchling, feeling inhuman, and people are looking at me I know they are its gonna be nothing but Ortiz the creeper on Monday I know it and then Anne texts me

Who the gently caress does she think she is? She doesn't get to give me orders after I went into the girl's bathroom to fix up her loving mistake! Why am I mad at her? I don't care.

quote:

i didnt DO anything

quote:

and dont order me around, i dont give a poo poo what those two do

quote:

im not your loving spy

I head to grab a fresh cup of punch, but I'm seriously wishing they had something that could loving turn back time.

I don't know what to do now.

Shutting Down Anne like a big jerk.

(Delsnow) !r 2d6+2
(Krysmbot) Delsnow, 6+2 = 8

I'll give Anne the condition "shut out" if she'll give me a condition back!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib, Shut Out

Oh my god, Ortiz, you colossal loving dweeb! If I didn't have enough on my plate I'd go and shake you like the rat you are!

quote:

mayb not m spy but thought u were my fckn friend you douche

Returning the condition 'colossal dweeb'

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Jamie Chang Maggie Chang
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

I keep Linda in mind as I down my punch. I gotta somehow fix things between these two.

For now? I just want to have fun. The song over the speakers grabs me as well, as I take River's hand and his offer for a dance. "Yeah, sure."

I don't think I have a lot of time before Maggie actually comes over and messes things up. I'm Cinderella on a ballroom floor with my fairy prince charming. At some point, the clock will ring for me. I'll need to run away and leave him behind.

But for now, I'm going to dance.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 10, 2015

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Zoe Haven
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

----

By the time I got to the bathroom I didn't feel like I had to cry anymore. I hated running before the car accident but physical therapy gives you a lot of appreciation for the little things like being ABLE to run, so I'd kept it up even after I didn't need to anymore. Still, there was a stitch in my side and I was breathing hard when I stopped. I didn't think I'd made much of a scene, I sure hoped not. Matt... Oh god what could I even say to Matt? 'Sorry, had an Angelic freak out, nothing personal'? I looked around but either he didn't follow me or I'd lost him. That was good, I needed to think.

I went back over it in my head. Remiel's visions were metaphorical sometimes, like Heaven's office. But I could always understand them. It was like he used metaphors I could understand on purpose. The glowing tree? The blood? The freaky snake eyes? I didn't get it. It didn't mean anything to me. It was just... scary. I shut myself in an empty stall for some privacy. So if it wasn't one of Remiel's visions, why did I get the Danger Signal? And what the hell was up with that fork? It felt heavy when I was holding it like that. I was pretty sure it CLANKED when I dropped it. Plastic forks don't do that...

No, focus Zoe. Remiel hadn't given me the vision I'd just reacted to it when Matt leaned in to kiss- Why was I doing that again? I like Matt, but uh...

Uh...

Crap. Was Remiel just trying to prevent me from kissing Matt? I groaned. I already have one disapproving father thanks, Heaven. I pulled out my phone and looked at for a second before texting him.

quote:

sorry 4 freaking out, come meet me @ the bonfire?

I headed out, to the cries of "Finally!!" from some girls who I guess were waiting (oops.) I didn't want to lie to Matt but I probably wasn't going to tell him the truth either. There weren't any Orders against telling people but I didn't want to sound like some crazy Jesus freak, and that was the only reaction anyone ever had when I talked about angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Matthew Ortiz
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Colossal Dweeb

I wince when Anne's text comes back. Oh, god, might as well burn all my bridges, right? Stupid loving idiot. I don't respond to it - not gonna make things worse.

I'm about to consider just getting the hell out of dodge when Zoe texts me. Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

Alright Matt, deep breath.

quote:

k

Now, do not gently caress this up. I stand near the bonfire, angled so I have a decent view of Linda and Maria. They do kinda look like they're up to something. I'm not really focused on them, though.

Do I tell her? Well, do I tell her I LIKE her? Hell yes. Do I tell her I'm actually from a race of ancient snake people that used to rule the world? Uh... Strong no. Unless she says something that implies she saw... something. I wanna tell her the truth, but only if she won't freak out too hard. What was that thing she did with the fork? It... shone, for a second there.

Maybe I'm going crazy, like my dad. Well, no time like the present.

• Locked thread