Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

GodFish posted:

Where were you last night when you ran into those monsters, and why did you have to let one get away?

You just heard this morning about the location of the party, where is it going to be held, and why does that make you so worried?

quote:

Anne Andrews
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Anne idly traces shapes into the melting frost with her finger and stares out of the window. Going over the events of last night made her feel slightly sick all over again. Walking home from a study session at the town library she'd cut through the abandoned public housing at Carnegie Place, and had stumbled on what looked two men mugging a woman in an alley. Her second sight had kicked in and shown her they were dead men, and she watched horrified as one of them bit into the woman. It had felt like a dream as she walked up, grabbed a length of broken wood, and and used it to shatter the skull of the other one. As he collapsed she screamed something at the biter who threw the woman at her and ran away. The woman was bleeding profusely from a wound in her neck and Anne had struggled to remember any of the first aid lessons Dad made her take what seemed like a million years ago. She'd used the dead mans clothing as makeshift bandages and applied pressure, did her best to get the woman in the recovery position, and used the other woman's phone to call 911. The victim was still alive when Anne heard the sirens and ran as well, not wanting to be caught up in the mess. The blood had made a mess of her jacket, jeans, gloves and shoes, she'd sat in the shower until the water went cold scrubbing at her hands and face.

The dead man had seen her face.

To make matters just slightly worse, that idiot Cody has apparently decided Carnegie would be the best place to have a party tonight. The abandoned houses are mostly intact, there's a scrubby 'park' in the middle of the cul-de-sac to put a bonfire up and some of the streetlights still work, in other circumstances it could make for a pretty cool spot to party. No nosy parents, no neighbors to complain...and no buses. lovely cell reception. No nearby police. No one to hear if, say, a crazy dead guy wants to start chewing up teens like it's Camp Crystal Lake out there.

Sighing internally, Anne realized she was going to have to go to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

When Jamie taps me on the shoulder I startle and make a mess of the little smiley face I'd just drawn in the frost. It looks uncomfortably like the skull of the dead man in the alley, complete with melting water for blood. Thinking about it I wasn't sure if he had been bleeding at all, the woman had been bleeding enough for both of them...yuck. Scrubbing out the little face I turn to Jamie and grin sheepishly.

"Hadn't really given it much thought, I only made up my mind to go along about five minutes ago. Wear something warm, probably."

And something that will give me an excuse to carry a weapon. Flipping through my binder to at least look busy for Ms Salvador's benefit a picture of an old "Rosie the Riveter" poster from some Civics homework stares back at me. Huh, that could do nicely. Not exactly sexy, but then I'm not going along to turn heads. Just bust them open...

Oh for the love of God stop thinking about heads. Change the topic, talk to Jamie like a normal person.

"How about you? Anyone you had in mind as a costume?"

The question's just a little bit cheeky, crank up the grin and make eye contact juuuusssttt long enough that the private joke becomes clear.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

River, huh? Jamie's got a good eye, dude is pretty hot if you're into that whole tall, willowy, model perfect hair-and-face thing...which I think basically every girl (and honest guy) in school totally is. I risk a quick glance in his direction to check him out on the sly refresh my memory about who I've seen him with. He's chatting to Maggie, but Jamie would probably already know if his twin was into that. Besides, doesn't she have a boyfriend? While I'm mentally undressing River thinking about it I notice Matthew and Zoe passing notes. Ortiz seems kind of flustered - is he asking her to the party? They would be a pretty cute couple, gotta admit. And Linda is looking into a paper cup like someone just handed her a fresh steaming dog poo poo for some reason. Turning back to my little conspiracy huddle with Jamie I roll my eyes a bit and shrug as I whisper back.

"Perfection? He's super pretty, but I hear his standards are crazy high."

I don't think I've seen him with the same girl for more than a week.

"Someone new...Maria, maybe? Or one of the girls from drama club? Be careful, you don't want to get someone's heart broken."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

I can feel my self blushing just a little when I realize River caught me checking him out. It's really hard difficult not to look back and lose myself in those eyes, but oh hey homeroom! Gotta do this civics homework! I cough a bit to cover my embarrassment, loosen my jacket up and turn back to the excerpt from a textbook that was out of date when Dad was at school.

It's not much of a distraction. I grew up basically breathing the history of the US labor movement, and the hardest part of this mini-essay has been cynically tailoring the answer that the material wants. Just a matter of making sure my sources are in order.

Something's not right. I can feel it. It's not this homework, not the thought of River's mesmerizing eyes on me, but the air feels heavy. OK Anne, don't freak out about it. Just look out the window again, breathe steady. What about this room is giving me the creeps...

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 8

The visions are confusing and alarming

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

SNAP

What...what was that noise...why is my hand wet...oh...my pen...

The room comes rushing back in like a forest fire, and I realize I'm holding my breath while Jamie asks a question. It sounds like he's underwater. Oh no, there's ink spattered all over the place.

"poo poo! Sorry, Ms. Salvador! I, uh need to be excused."

Leaping to my feet with the grace of a scalded cat I use my clean hand to scoop my things into my bag and make a run for the door, pausing only to send an apologetic look to Jamie.

gently caress, I'm going to be dripping ink all the way to the bathroom. Cheap piece of poo poo pen.

Run Away: 2d6+2 9

Choosing to make a big scene, marking XP

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Oh come on, it was just one pen! How much ink can it hold? Enough to be all over my jeans, my jacket, and my hands, making me look like I've been down a coal mine, that's how much. At least I didn't get any on my phone, or in my lunch, or in my hair...wait, there's a big blob just above my temple. Just great. Why couldn't my psycho visions kick in at a better time, like never? Why can't I-

mistaya posted:

"Hey... Anne? You left your pencils. Are you OK?"

Zoe?

"Zoe? Um...yeah, I'm alright, thanks. Just broke a cheap pen and made a mess."

I don't feel alright. I don't think I sound alright, either. I could really use someone to talk to for a moment.

"Hey, could you come in and give me a hand? This ink has gone everywhere and I'd like to make sure it doesn't stain my shirt."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

quote:

"Geez, was that a pen or a grenade?"

I can't help but laugh a bit at that.

"I know, right? Should pass this on to the Pentagon, maybe they can use it."

With Zoe's help I get my hands clean enough to get my jacket and shirt off without making things worse. She looks doubtfully at my jeans, and I'm inclined to agree. Just have to hope the ink doesn't soak all the way through. I sit on the edge of the sink while she does her best to clean up the splotch in my hair. She's way more gentle and thorough than I would have been. And then...

quote:

"You can tell me if something's wrong, you know?" I said, quietly. "I wouldn't tell anyone if you didn't want me to, and..." I shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't think you're crazy no matter what it is."

I really want to tell her everything. The explosion, the dead men, Jamie...maybe not Jamie, that's his business. But it's too much, too fast. I take hold of the hand she's been washing my face with and look at her with a half-smile.

"You're good people, Zoe. I don't want to drop all of my trouble in your lap at once. I..." My tongue sticks a bit, as a full confession tries to spill out. "I'm...just a little stressed out at the moment, what with the party tonight and midterms coming up. Haven't been sleeping enough, and I guess I spaced out there. I hope Ms Salvador isn't too mad at the pair of us."

And wow Anne, good job holding Zoe's hand and staring into her eyes like a goober.

Turn on Zoe: 2d6+1 4

Bugger. Mark XP anyway.

OK this is getting awkward. Let the hand go, you goof.

"So, uh...You going to the party with Matt tonight? He's a funny guy."

Smooth recovery.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

"Yeah, I'll be going along tonight. Probably won't stay too long though, it's going to be cold. Only a guy like Cody would think that having a party outdoors in this kind of weather was a bright idea, right?"

I think about how even without the dead men Carnegie isn't exactly a safe place.

"Sure, I'll meet up with you beforehand. Jamie should be coming along as well, we can go in as a group. And yeah, red would have been bad. At least this way I'm only the Incredible Squid Girl."

Everything's about as clean as it's going to get. Now to see if we can get back to class before the bell rings.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

Now that my hands are clean I can send a quick text to Jamie to apologize for being a psycho probably murderer flake.

aa posted:

sry abt bailing dude, had a 'panic attack'
meet at lunch to discss costumes+qties?

The hallway is basically freezing, but right now the cold air is just what the doctor ordered. Walking back with Zoe I make sure I've got her number to make meeting up tonight easier.

"Hey, I since figure we're not going to get back by the bell anyway, we might as well take our time. I need to catch up with you anyway, I think the other day was about the only time I've spoken to you since you, uh...since your accident. What's the latest on planet Zoe? If you and Matt aren't an item is there some other cute nerd you have your eye on?"

Normal, human people gossip. Totally doable, see?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

"Hey, no reason it would have to be a nerd, just throwing ideas out there. It's cool that you're focusing on catching back up though, having to repeat the year would really blow."

Deliberately ignoring that crack about River. The boy is super pretty, it's not a crime to admit that! I take a look at that big scar. Jesus, how is she alive if the rest of her took that kind of beating? It's oddly sweet that she's prepared to let me see it, though.

"You must be a drat sight tougher than you look. And hey, if anyone gives you trouble over how you look in a swimsuit after what you went through, tell me and I'll beat the crap out of them!"

I make a half-hearted fist and do some sloppy shadow boxing to make it clear I'm just joking. I think I'm just joking, anyway.

"It's not going to be swimming weather for months, anyway. Don't sweat it."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:
Being on pretty good terms with Mr Hill whenever I need somewhere away from other students to think I just head on down to the shed he keeps his tools in. It's away from the main school buildings, probably because he stores petrol and weedkiller and poo poo in here. Sometimes if he's in there we talk, or just eat lunch together. If he's had a drink or two he tells some pretty intense war stories. Since I started hanging out with Jamie this has been a good meeting spot, especially if he's...in costume. Mr Hill isn't around at the moment so the door's locked, and I'm freezing my butt off out here.

Oh come on, normally no-one comes out here and now all the trouble shows up at one. I quickly send a text to Jamie:

aa posted:

hds up sistr cming

and hope that he checks his phone before getting to into hitting on River. Wait, why is River here? No time to worry about that, gotta head of the other Maggie and (sigh) Matt Collins. This is going to be a lovely conversation.

"Oh hi Maggie, what brings you out this way? No, I was just dropping in to tell Mr Hill that one of the taps in the girl's bathroom is broken. Haha, yeah, jammed with ink, very funny. Say, how about that party tonight, are you going along?"

I'll try and steer the conversation and the direction of travel away from danger.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 6

Nope. Marking XP

drat it Matt, stop staring at me like a loving angry owl, it's super distracting.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Up to something.
Oh, gently caress you Matt. I tried to do this the easy way, but I can play rough if you want. I'll regret it, but this is what friends do for each other.

"Ouch, nice burn, Matt. I'm nearly as crispy as your old man from that one."

Shut Down Matt Collins: 2d6-1 2

The look of absolute disgust on his and Maggie's faces when they turn around nearly kills me then and there. Oh man, is he going to hit me?

This had better be loving worth it for you, Jamie.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 1/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Up to something.

I could probably have dodged, or defended myself in some way, but frankly I deserve this. Flat on my back on the cold ground, with my former best friend raining punches down on me while one of the top social players in the school watches. I manage a poo poo-eating grin up at Matt while he pins me down - when did he get so strong? - and get enough breathe together to keep digging myself in deeper.

"That all you got? You hit me harder than that last time, new girlfriend holding you back?"

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 3

poo poo, I think he might actually kill me if I don't do something.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 12, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something.

Oh gently caress, was that a rib breaking? His hot spit feels like it's scalding my face. I can see Maggie running in exactly the wrong direction and I have officially had enough of this poo poo. I reach out for something, anything to even the odds, and my hand wraps around a half brick being used to edge a garden bed. My other hand stops Matt's fist on the way down and while he's still surprised by that I bring the brick up and connect it with his chin.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2 9 for 2? Harm

Marking XP

If Matt wants, Anne will become her Darkest Self

Is he still conscious? He stopped hitting me, anyway.

"Huuuuuuuuu. Heeeeeeee. Heeeyyyy Magger. Maggie. Might wanna get your boyfriend to the nurse. Looks like he fell down some stairs."

I try to roll out from under Matt and stand up, but only succeed in getting about half way to my feet before falling down and puking my guts out.

What the gently caress is wrong with me?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Anne Andrews

Wiping my lips on my sleeve I limp away from Maggie and Matt. I can't think of anything to say, and I can't stop coughing anyway. gently caress, that's at least one broken rib. I don't think I'm going to be able to sit without flinching for a month. I can see River and Maggie (no, that's Jamie) just ahead, flirting and cooing at each other. I'm well past giving a poo poo now. I stagger past, ignoring the sickening lovebirds and their looks of horror. I'm going to the cafeteria, and I'm going to find out what the gently caress is going on with Linda.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I look at Jamie Maggie like he's she's grown a second head, cough again and try to swallow a scream as my broken rib grates against itself. What the hell does it look like just happened?

"Got my...rear end kicked. You should...see the other guy."

gently caress, it hurts to breathe, let alone talk. I try to pick up the pace and leave them behind, but I don't really have it in me. Really don't want anyone to see me like this. Not River, especially not Jamie. I have to be tougher than this. Can't let the pain slow me down.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

"None of your business, and I don't need to see the argh nurse"

I'm lying. But if I went there and saw Matt I'd feel even worse. God, I hope he can forgive me for hurting him. I don't deserve it, but I hope anyway. River and Jamie are looking at me like I'm some kind of broken thing, a poor weak crazy girl. That hurts worse than the rib. Why can't I run from them? Useless legs, nothing but jelly. Someone is going to pay for all this poo poo. Maybe Linda. Maybe the burning man. Maybe...maybe me.

"Just leave me alone."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable

Jamie Maggie catches up to me like I'm standing still and pulls my arm over her shoulders. I wince, but I can't don't pull away. She's wrong about it being her fault, but I can't explain why. Alright, I'll let you support me, just until I can walk again. I can't tell if it's Jamie or Maggie holding me, but it doesn't matter.

"I'm not going to the nurse."

It sounds stupid and childish even to me. Gotta provide a decent alternative. No money for the hospital in town, and I don't want to get anyone else in trouble for skipping out. The teachers would ask too many questions.

"Hey, ow, poo poo, River. Go find Matt Ortiz, he always has a first aid kit. Uh, Maggie, if you can help me get to the gym showers? No-one will be down there."

Hey psycho, aren't you forgetting something?

"And...thanks, both of you."

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 13, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self

Once River is well out of earshot I lean a bit harder on Jamie/Maggie. I really need to explain what went down and no-one else will understand it.

"So, uh..."

This is complicated. Why does it have to be so complicated?

"Your...Maggie was walking right towards you. With Matt Collins of all people. I tried to text you but I guess you didn't see it. I tried to stall them, but Matt said something dumb and I said something mean and stupid and he knocked me down, started hitting me. I guess I panicked, and I hit him with a brick. I think his jaw is broken. That's why I didn't want to go to the nurse."

Christ, I don't understand it and I was there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self

It takes what seems like forever to reach the shower block by the football/track/everything else field. It's predictably abandoned - too cold for anyone sensible to be playing around out here. Not Anne Andrews, professional idiot and amateur violent psycho, but everyone else. And Jamie Maggie, although in his her defense that's my fault as well. Door's open - they only get locked when everyone's gone home after a suicide attempt a couple of years ago. I slump down onto a bench in the center of the room and try to get my jacket undone. My right hand doesn't want to co-operate, and looking at it I see that I must have scraped it up pretty badly getting that brick loose. Lucky it's not bleeding everywhere. I'm starting to shiver, partly from the cold and shock, and partly from the adrenaline wearing off. For the second time today I have to ask for help getting out of my clothes.

"Hey, Maggie, can you..uh...help me get my jacket off? Hands don't wanna co-operate."

poo poo, I need to ask what name I should use when Jamie's in...costume? Disguise? How does that work? He might as well BE his sister as far as I can tell.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Wow, Maggie has really pretty eyes. And soft hands. And smells really nice... It's no wonder Jamie likes to spend time as her, although thinking about it Jamie has pretty nice eyes as well. Can't say I've smelled him or felt his hands though. Maybe I should... Wait, she's asking a question.

"I...I was going to go and talk to Linda. She's...something. Like us, I think. I was worrying about the party, and then I got a 'vision' or hallucination or whatever of her holding me back, stopping me from helping people. I think I was just going to talk to her, anyway."

I'm still shivering, but that's got less to do with the cold now and more to do with the idea that I might not have stopped at talking. I lean in against Maggie and let her examine my hand.

"Now I don't know what I should do. Um...could you take my shirt off? I think I might have a broken rib, and it's going to hurt too much to do it myself but I still need to take a look."

I can feel myself blushing furiously. Yeah, we're both girls at the moment, but this is still pretty embarrassing. I turn around to let her lift my shirt from the back, and realize a little too late that means we're both facing the mirror.

turn on Jamie/Maggie: 2d6+1 13

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I've had nightmares like this. Well, not this bad. Usually I don't know the audience I'm suddenly naked in front of, and there isn't another girl undressing me and standing close enough for me to feel the heat of her body through her clothes. And in the dreams the building usually burns down anyway, which I'm really kind of wishing would happen right now.

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 6

Despite my wishes the locker room stays as solid and non-combustible as before, and all I can do is sink to the floor covering my chest with my arms and start to laugh hysterically, despite the white hot pain each choking, gasping, sobbing laugh sends shooting through my ribs.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 15, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Alright, this was an agonizing nightmare fun diversion, but I still have to stop the massacre at the party tonight. I need to go and see Linda and find out what her deal is first, then I'm going home to get ready. I stand up, avoid eye contact with everyone and get my jacket back on. Alright, dignity restored. Time to walk out of here.

"Thanks, everyone. I've got it from here. I'll see you all later."

Thank you, legs, for not betraying me this time. I push past everyone to get to the exit. You could probably cook an egg on my blushing face.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Swimming against the tide of people walking out of the cafeteria makes it tricky to properly protect my rib, but if I tuck my head down and lead with the opposite shoulder I can push through without to much trouble. Linda usually leaves after most people, but she never seems to be late to class. Right at the moment that seem loving suspicious, but it's handy for me. Yeah, there she is. Sitting around sipping tea like she doesn't have a care in the world. Well, now she's got to care about me. Wait, that sounded dumb. Glad I didn't lead with that. I walk up to her table, pull a chair out, sit down and swing my feet up on to the table. Looking her straight in the eye while she stares back over the rim of her cup I give her my best super intense stare.

Turn on Linda: 2d6+1 4

Marking xp for the attempt, leveling up

"Hey, Linda. We really need to talk."

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 17, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

I frown when Linda mentions my busy lunch hour. How much does she know and how does she know it? Is she some kind of...tea witch? No, that's stupid. gently caress it, I'll just ask her. Everyone else is filing out of the cafeteria and the background noise should make it hard to overhear. I swing my legs back off the table, lean in close and speak softly.

"I don't need your help. I need you to do two things - tell me what you are, and stay out of my way tonight. I don't think you're with the burning man, you're not walking dead, but you are...(some kind of freak? a monster? what would that make you, Anne?)...different. And whatever happens at that party tonight I need to deal with it, so don't hold me back. Understand?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Wrong answer, Mills. That raised eyebrow and that smug non-answer might as well be tap-dancing on my last remaining nerve. God, is she always like this? Self assured, sure she's in control, that she's invincible? I could shatter that illusion for her, just reach across the table and... No. Not now, not like this.

"Alright, fine, you wanna play dumb, whatever. You're not my business until you start hurting people. That happens, and we get to have another chat. Don't expect any favors from me then."

I start to push away from the table and a thought occurs to me:

"And if you go to the party tonight come find me when the screaming starts. We'll see if you know what you are then."

I spoil that badass line by flinching when I push back and feel my rib shift a little. I stand up, hoping Linda didn't notice, and start to walk away from the table.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Boots, jeans, denim shirt, and tool-belt are easy enough, it would be weirder if I didn't have them lying around. The time is mostly in making sure they're clean and dry, polishing the boots and fixing a couple buttons on the shirt. The only thing I'm missing is a red headscarf. I could swear I had one lying around in one of these drawers...oh, right. I was wearing it when I was at work, the first time I saw one of the dead men. I think I threw it out because of the odd stains. Well, that shouldn't be a problem. There's a thrift shop and a dollar store on the way to the party site, I can just pick something up. The real problem I have to think about is Jamie, and Maggie. What if they both go to the party? I don't think Maggie will, not after I upset her today, but if Jamie goes as her and she's not there it's going to confuse people. What if they both go without telling each other? How can Jamie go in costume without stealing something else from Maggie? And how deep do those changes go? Jamie sure felt like a real girl when he was touching me. How much is he like me when he...is...me?

God, this is so weird. If I got him to dress like River what would he feel like? I wonder if... Mind out of the gutter, Anne Andrews! Got to get ready for a fight, no time to think about soft skin and deep, pretty eyes.

I'm just heading out when Dad starts interrogating me from his chair. I roll my eyes and groan pretty convincingly.

"Ugh, Dad. We weren't 'hanging out', we have homeroom and like half our classes together. It's not that big a school that I can avoid everyone who's family has a lovely history. I'm enough of an outcast as it is."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 9

What will it take to get Dad to drop this line of questioning?

Also I think I mark XP because it's a new scene.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

A handshake? C'mon, Dad, we can do better than that. I give him a hug, smile back, and make an easy promise.

"Alright, Dad. I promise I won't go to the Ortiz house."

How likely is that, anyway? Matt's a nice enough guy but not exactly 'sneak into his bedroom' nice, y'know?

"And hey, thanks! I still have to pick up a scarf from Knightley's, but otherwise it came together nice and easy. I'm not going to be back super late, but don't worry about staying up. There's pizza in the fridge from yesterday if you get hungry, and take it easy on the beer tonight. My OSHA won't cover me if I put my back out hauling you into your bed again."

I skip out the door before he can retort and walk down the street still smiling. If nothing else goes right today, at least Dad is feeling better. And maybe, just maybe, I can save some lives tonight.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

Haha, oh man, Knightley's. Not the only business in town that does well out of everything else sucking, but the only one that I'd show my face in. Kinda does double duty as a pawn shop and thrift store, so it's got this weird mix of poo poo that people are throwing out, cool stuff from estate sales, and really sad valuables some poor bastard has hocked to make rent this week. Old man called Wyatt runs the place, he's a total softie about holding goods for people until they get their poo poo together - just don't make any 'White Knight' jokes about it. I have no idea how he keeps the place going. Guess the rent must be cheap - narrow frontage, but the shop goes back a long rear end way, the back end is pretty much buried in a hill.

On the way over the whole town seems still and quiet, like it's about to snow. Despite the cold there should be more people around, coming back from work, or getting dinner, or going drinking. No sirens, hardly any traffic. It's kinda creepy. When a crow squawks at me from the steeple of 1st Methodist Church I nearly jump out of my skin. I look up at the bird and my eye catches the sign out front, which normally says something like 'Don't give up: Jesus Loves You' or whatever. Tonight it says 'Anne - pay attention'.

Oh, not now. Not in the middle of the street.

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 9

Gimme confusing and alarming visions about the threat to the party

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I feel like I'm going to throw up again, but I haven't eaten since lunch so I just gag a bit. How the hell am I going to keep a lid on a big attack at the party? I can't let anyone get hurt, but I've got a wrench and a bad attitude against a loving army of darkness. Can't give up. Gotta think of something. I push inside Knightley's, the warm air and smell of musty old clothes makes the place feel like a grannie could hug me at any moment. It's easy enough to find what I came here for, a nice thick red headscarf. Could double as a sling or bandage in an emergency. That gets me thinking about what else in here I could re-purpose to help me. Jewelry, watches, old clothes, walking sticks, furniture, not really. Some tools, but I'm not sure how much better a sledgehammer or nailgun would be than what I've already got. Wyatt's not going to sell me a gun, and his range is pretty shoddy anyway. Except...hello, gorgeous. How this thing got here I have no idea, looks like something out of a steampunk comic. It's not cheap exactly, but I manage to talk Wyatt in to letting me have it, after he gives me a lecture on safe use, not pointing it at people, that sort of thing. I promise to be super careful (fingers crossed behind my back) and take it, the dozen flares it came with, and my scarf, and scurry off to join Matt and Zoe. Only about 15 minutes late, not bad considering I was hallucinating and nearly got hit by a car on the way over. I hide the flare gun in the tool belt, keeping it loaded.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 10

"Hey Zoe! Sorry I'm late, had to stop at Knightley's on the way. Can not believe I didn't have a red scarf in the house. Do I look ready to punch Hitler in the face or what?"

I make the pose for Zoe to admire, making sure to throw extra sass into the eyebrows. It makes me look pretty fierce and cute at the same time, I don't mind admitting. It feels good to be chatting and hanging out like a normal person for a minute.

Turn on Zoe: 2d6+1 12

Taking a string on Zoe

"Is Matt not here yet? That slacker, I try to make an entrance and he hasn't shown up yet. And look at you, that costume is amazing, you look great!"

She really does. drat, what an amazing outfit. She is way too classy for this joint.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Oh wow, I have got to get Natalie to give me hand with hair and makeup tips some time. Zoe looks...super hot, actually. She's going to need a stick to keep guys off her. I know she's kind of shy, so when I'm not trying to stop actual zombies from eating her I'll play wingman.

"Alright, you gorgeous devil. Let's go break some hearts! Good times guaranteed! Anyone wants to hassle you they have to go through me first, you got that?"

I laugh a bit, link arms with her and we walk off towards the party. Hey, maybe I'm just crazy and we can have a good night with no drama. I feel kind of bad about not warning her off, but maybe I can hold things together.

Promising Zoe something I think she wants - a fun and safe party.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I don't think anything is going to happen until later, the dead usually don't show up for a few hours after sundown. I'm really hoping that I'm wrong about an attack. This is too complex an environment to keep everything in sight. I need more eyes, more ears. I think I look pretty casual as I wander around chatting with Zoe about the weather (cold), how slack some guys have been with their costumes (seriously, bedsheet ghost? wtf Martin) the punch (kinda weak, thankfully) and other stuff. I need to be careful not to freak people out. Speaking of eyes...is that Maggie with River? I turn around before she spots me and lean against a mailbox. I keep chatting with Zoe and nearly send Jamie a text:

quote:

hey dude, you at party? yr sstr is here and I kinda need to avoid. be on the lookout for trouble.

Oh man, what if that is Jamie? poo poo, I might blow his cover if Maggie pulls out her brothers phone. Or whatever. OK, save it to drafts. Just have to figure out a good patrol pattern, like busing tables. Maximum distance for minimum walking. Keep Zoe circulating until she meets someone else to talk to. Eat chips, drink coke. Stay alert.

And then Maria comes up, asking for a favor and getting awfully close. I don't really know her that well, why is she asking me for favors? Is she...nah, that's crazy. Probably just needs to borrow a screwdriver or something. I lean back a bit to establish some personal space and force a smile.

"Sure thing, Maria. Lemme just grab a refill, I'll be right with you."

I fill my cup but don't drink from it. I make eye contact with Zoe to try and say "hey, I'll be right back" in eyebrow language, and then follow Maria.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2?/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

A drunk harassing people could pretty easily be one of my dead men, I guess. Don't know why Maria thought I would be more helpful dealing with that than, say, the half dozen football players at this party. I guess I must have some kind of reputation? And then we stop, and she starts going on about broken jaws.

"Hey, wait a second, wh-"

I'm too surprised to scream when two guys grab my arms, the little one getting covered in punch in the process, and then this out of town princess puts a right hook into my face that feels like it cracks a cheekbone and I'm seeing stars. Without the goons holding me I probably would have gone flat on my rear end. Fer Christ's sake I do not have time for this bullshit. I slump a little bit more than I needed too, get a breath, check my teeth with my tongue (all still there, thank gently caress) and spit out some blood where I bit my cheek.

"Maggie put you up to this, princess? Shoulda left it alone."

She's wearing a long, slinky black dress and heels. Dressed for a party. I dressed for a fight. I get my legs underneath me and push forward against the grip of Jimmy and Micheal, kicking her in the gut with one steel-toed workboot. God help me it feels good, like something just went right with the world.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2 8
Smiting the Wicked adds 1, spend a string to add 1 making 10.
2 harm + Maria needs to hold steady before she can retaliate.

The boys drop my arms and rush over to help Maria as she collapses like her strings got cut. For the second time today I'm shaking with adrenaline, but this time I'm not confused and guilty about what just happened. Standing over the three of them with my chest heaving as I catch my breath, back-lit by the flames of the bonfire, I'd like to think I look pretty bad-rear end.

edit: this was dumb and unnecessary.

"Stay the gently caress out of my way tonight. I got bigger things to worry about than you playing godfather or whatever the gently caress you think you're doing."

I carry on through the alley and circle back to the party. Face hurts. Good. Pain can keep me focused.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 6, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib

I cut through a couple of overgrown yards and through another alley to make sure I come back in to the party from a different direction to Maria and her brute squad. If Linda put her up to this after I warned her off, I'm going to find out exactly what she's made of under all that smug bullshit she pulls all the time. What the hell is her connection to all this?

I make it back just in time to see Zoe finish dancing with Sub-Zero (Matt? I would have picked him for more of a Scorpion), and then run off like her butt is on fire. Ah, poo poo. I hosed that up too, I guess. Great day for looking after your friends, Anne. What the hell would Matt have done to scare her off, he's the most harmless guy I can think of. Linda's with Maria, I could confront them both and try to force them into a confession...but I can't abandon Zoe either. I don't know what might be out here, and a girl on her own would be a prime target. Or...a perfect bait.

Jesus, Anne. That's a twisted thing to think. I'm just going to try and help a friend, that's all. Linda will keep for now. I text Matt while I'm working my way around the edge of the party:

quote:

omg you dork wtf did you say to zoe?

quote:

nvm ill go check up on her

quote:

keep n eye on linda + maria for me, they r up 2 smth

Can't go anywhere without it turning to poo poo, can you, Andrews? Now where the hell did Zoe get off to?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib, Shut Out

Oh my god, Ortiz, you colossal loving dweeb! If I didn't have enough on my plate I'd go and shake you like the rat you are!

quote:

mayb not m spy but thought u were my fckn friend you douche

Returning the condition 'colossal dweeb'

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 2/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib, Shut Out

OK, from asking around it looks like I missed Zoe and she went back to the party anyway, so I'll just head back as well and -

~record scratch~

Huh. Did not see that resolution to the whole Zoe/Matt thing coming at all. Kinda feel bad for snapping at him in my text now. Someone call Dr Who because we've got a pair o'dorks here I guess. Alright, that leaves...Linda, I guess. Who is wall-flowering over by the drinks table, and guess what? I'm pretty thirsty right now. I cut through the crowd ignoring the one or two stares the rapidly growing bruise on my cheek attracts and focus in on that shiny fake armor she's wearing. When I reach her she's facing the other way, and I talk just loud enough to be heard over the music

"Hey Linda, y'know how we had that talk today about 'not getting in my way' tonight? I kinda think that sicing Maria and her loving goon squad on me still counts!"

I grab her shoulder and spin her round so she can look at my face as I work up to my point.

"I don't buy that Maggie has the guts to order a beatdown, but I bet you do. You got about ten seconds to convince me you're not worth the trouble before I kick your rear end."

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 8, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Please don't call me crazy. I'm not crazy.

"'m not crazy"

I'm sure I'm not. I just wish I could say it with more confidence. God, my cheek hurts. Did I black out back there? A concussion would really put the poo poo icing on this poo poo cake of a day.

"don' need any help.

Am I mumbling now? I can barely hear myself talk over the music.

"sorry for being a bitch. long day. gotta...gotta go."

Have to get outside the party. Can't protect anyone while all these idiots are getting in the way. I can't let Zoe and Matt and maybe Jamie get hurt. Linda can do whatever the hell she does in here, but I need to protect them all from the real threat. Gotta pay attention, like the sign said.

"gotta pay 'tention, sign said so"

gently caress, was that out loud? My cheeks are burning for reasons entirely unrelated to blunt trauma as I walk away into the shadows on the edge of the firelight.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

I nearly snap at Linda that I don't need her help, that everyone here needs my help and she is getting in the way. And then she admits that she saw something as well, and unless she's playing me that's about the best news I could get.

"You're not messing with me, are you? Swear to God if this is some kind of...yeah. Yeah, yeah I saw something."

I let her walk me to her mothers car. I can at least let her check I don't have a concussion, or give me some asprin. If she's telling the truth...I need to know.

"I've been having...visions, seeing things other people don't see, since the plant blew up. I stopped talking about it because everyone thought I was crazy, including me. I think something bad is going to happen tonight, someone is going to attack the party, and I have to stop them."

Why does it still sound crazy to say?

"What...what did you see?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews

Linda's mom has a nice car. Dad keeps saying he'll fix our piece of poo poo Taurus but I'll believe that when I'm behind the wheel, frankly. The things Linda is saying are making my day, I don't care if it's a plot to make a fool out of me.

"Ha, tea leaves, really? When I was getting in your face in the cafeteria I was thinking you were, like, a tea witch, but it sounded pretty dumb. No offense. Uh...the 'my dead body' thing sounds pretty ominous, though. The other corpses could be some of the things I've fought before. I guess they're kind of zombies, but...smart-ish? They seem to be getting more common."

I look around into the shadows as I say that.

"I saw two of them here last night, attacking a woman. And yeah, I was worrying about the party and then I had a big freakout at about the same time. I thought you were trying to get in my way. Guess I was wrong. Sorry."

Lot of apologies to make today, I guess.

"Nah, just her fist and a little help from her goon squad. Hurts like hell, but there's not a lot you can do for a cheekbone. Just...let me have whatever painkillers are in there, clean it up a bit. Then we should get back to the party before any trouble starts."

I sit down on the lip of the trunk, setting my jaw against the pain and staring off in the direction of the party. I must look beat all to hell. Gotta keep going though, can't look weak.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews
Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Up to something, Vulnerable, Darkest Self, Broken Rib, Shut Out

I choke a yelp down and just hiss a bit when the antiseptic on the wipes starts to bite. Why does medicine always feel worse than getting hurt in the first place? Probably adrenaline or something. I dry swallow the pill with a bit of effort, but I frankly I think just having someone listen and care and believe me is better than asprin anyway.

"Yeah, I'm not going to call you a tea witch, way too dumb. Doesn't matter, really. Thanks for patching me up, it's been a hell of a day. At least this time I...nevermind."

Didn't get caught with my shirt off by pretty much all my friends and one of the hottest dudes in the school, is what I don't say. That really doesn't need to get spread around. I hope she can't see me blushing in the dim light.

"Look, we should get back to the party and make sure everything's OK. It's really good to know you've got my back, though. Really wasn't expecting you to turn out to be a knight in shining armor."

I grin and then wince. Better give the pill some more time to kick in before I try that again.

"Alright, enough playing doctor. Let's go save some lives."

I hop up off the car and hold a hand out to help Linda up, hoping she didn't get the wrong idea about playing doctor.

Turn on Linda (tagging Nosy): 2d6+2 8

• Locked thread