Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Hanging out in bed with my SO. How do I explain what Something Awful is without her leaving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Internet forum. There are lots of them on the internet.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

its a comedy forum

alternatively;

show her the goat man

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The North Tower posted:

How do I explain what Something Awful is without her leaving?
with her dick in your mouth

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
an irreverent irrelevant comedy forum

is this hard?

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Secret Knight Templars hangout zone.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

show her that leaked image of lowtaxs knob

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ratjaculation posted:

its a comedy forum

alternatively;

show her the goat man

this actually happened to me. i was in bed browsing SA and my girlfriend is like "what's that"

i was like "oh it's just some internet forum" when i clicked a thread and got goatse'd. she didn't understand why i'd want to browse a forum with pictures like that and the rest of the night was pretty tense

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

this actually happened to me. i was in bed browsing SA and my girlfriend is like "what's that"

i was like "oh it's just some internet forum" when i clicked a thread and got goatse'd. she didn't understand why i'd want to browse a forum with pictures like that and the rest of the night was pretty tense

:lol:

kirk stretched your relationship apart

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
how fat is your SO on a scale of 9 to 10

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Plead the fifth idiot

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Get defensive about it out of nowhere, say "don't ask me about my business!!!", and start throwing furniture around.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
several thousand NSA plants and one civvie who just wants to talk about his cat

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Oh my god, GOOD QUESTION.

Its like community right, but it also a kind of internet culture farrrrtttt

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttt

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Whisper "It's just a comedy forum" softly into her ear.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Forum

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Explain that the something awful forums are like a giant conference, in which thousands of people from a myriad of social and economic strata come together to talk earnestly and passionately, sometimes for days, about which girl from which anime would make the best body pillow.

edit: after you say that, pause for a beat, then continue in a loud voice: "...TO gently caress."

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 7, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Viridiant posted:

Whisper "It's just a comedy forum" softly into her ear.

Just repeat to yourself "It's an Internet forum, I should really just relax."

I just read a few thread titles and OPs to Mrs. Genesplicer, and she understood. Now anytime I tell her something funny or stupid, she asks me if I read it on SA.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
2004 in 2014 + man presenting his colon + im gay

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The North Tower posted:

Hanging out in bed with my SO. How do I explain what Something Awful is without her leaving?

its impossible

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
HOW DO I EXPLAIN WHAT AN INTERNET FORUM IS TO SOMEONE??

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
It's kind of a microcosm for life. Sometimes it gives you something really unpleasant that you just have to accept as part of existence *legs.jpg* and sometimes you get some really cool pleasant surprises *some everdraed gif*.

And then most of the rest of it is people yelling friend of the family and goku :shrug:

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
careful, op. first you tell her, then she gets an account, then she becomes a better poster than you, next thing you know she's a fyad groupie and you're tasting ruddha's dick when you kiss her goodnight. tread lightlty, firend.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"When people find out a goon has died they perma ban your account like a sort of sendoff. If you go to the drug forum and look at the older threads there's more and more perma banned accounts. Here's a perma banned guy giving advice on how you should totally be careful and only take the right amounts of this drug"

My explanation on why I was laughing so hard at a screenshot of a TCC post

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Robo Reagan posted:

"When people find out a goon has died they perma ban your account like a sort of sendoff. If you go to the drug forum and look at the older threads there's more and more perma banned accounts. Here's a perma banned guy giving advice on how you should totally be careful and only take the right amounts of this drug"

SA is like laughing at your friends foibles, only in this case 'foibles' means 'death caused by eyeballing an experimental drug.'

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Robo Reagan posted:

This is the appropriate answer.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
it is a comedy forum on the internet.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
its kind of like a hip hop twitter

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
T3H 1NTERNETS!!!

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

genesplicer posted:

Just repeat to yourself "It's an Internet forum, I should really just relax."

I just read a few thread titles and OPs to Mrs. Genesplicer, and she understood. Now anytime I tell her something funny or stupid, she asks me if I read it on SA.

Ah MST3K. That's even worse to explain to someone than an internet forum.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

nullEntityRNG posted:

Ah MST3K. That's even worse to explain to someone than an internet forum.

The robots are making fun of the bad movie.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Otto von Ruthless posted:

its kind of like a hip hop twitter

they should rename gbs this

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
A bunch of bored gen Y nerds who didn't date in high school make fun of the nerds immediately below them in the nerd hierarchy.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is kinda like reddit but you have to pay to use it!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im really loving... ive had enough, okay, just stop it i dont thinkt its funny any more

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

lonesomedwarf posted:

im really loving... ive had enough, okay, just stop it i dont thinkt its funny any more

chin up

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Beef Turret posted:

A bunch of bored gen Y nerds who didn't date in high school make fun of the nerds immediately below them in the nerd hierarchy.

yeah, pretty much

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's, it's not quite a comedy forum.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

The North Tower posted:

You're in bed with your Superior Officer?!?
Not gonna lie, that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
We already had this thread and that's where the hip hop Twitter thing came from so tell her it's like a hip hop Twitter and be done with it

• Locked thread