Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We would make more sense in the ACC sense we already hate everyone in that damned conference, but we'd rather go the SEC. Something about having been jilted for like half-a-century makes you not really care about them.

Also burning couches and the mascot hunting in uniform are SEC as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Yeah WVU is way more SEC than Mizzou.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Mizzou fits because Tigers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Air Force to the Big XII sounds bizarre. I could never imagine a power conference even considering a service academy. Is there any precedent for that happening?

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/baylor-bears.php

If Baylor would just learn how to schedule OOC there wouldn't even be this issue anyway.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Festive Transvestite posted:

If Baylor would just learn how to schedule OOC there wouldn't even be this issue anyway.

What the gently caress is Incarnate Word?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Not really a ton of options. People aren't gonna wanna schedule Baylor either.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Omne posted:

What the gently caress is Incarnate Word?
Brand new FCS team in San Antonio, formerly a brand new DII team. They've only been playing since '07, and their two wins this year were over Nicholls State (0-12) and Houston Baptist (played their first full season of football this year).

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Not really a ton of options. People aren't gonna wanna schedule Baylor either.

What about those early year neutral site games, don't those get scheduled on short notice?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lasagna Pilot posted:

What about those early year neutral site games, don't those get scheduled on short notice?

You're right, but those also get pushed a ton by conferences and networks as well. Baylor may get a network push as the snubbed team with something to prove but that's not sustainable to keep high profile scheduling going.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

heh

quote:

Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby says if he was a selection member he would have voted for TCU for 4th spot, not Baylor.
https://twitter.com/andrewperloff/status/541982528853520385

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

What on earth does he have to gain by saying that?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baylor was probably still a terrible program when those were scheduled. How else do you end up going to Buffalo as a power conference team?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I still think the Big 12 probably just stands pat and waits for autobids for all power 5 conference champs when the playoff expands to 6 or 8 in a few years, but just for fun here's another plausible expansion scenario where they add one team to the east (Cincy) and one to the west.

Big 12 West
Baylor
BYU/CSU/Boise
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia

Protected rivalries- OU-Texas, TCU-Baylor, TCU-Tech, Kansas-ISU

Notes:

-9 game conference schedule
-Teams in the east will still get to play at least two Texas teams every year.
-TCU needs to be in the east to accomplish this, but still gets Tech and Baylor every year (if continued exposure in Texas is a concern).
-Kansas-ISU playing every year is just a side effect of the other protected games, but they aren't likely to object.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 8, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Frackie Robinson posted:

Art Briles has been bitching non-stop since they were left out. There's no love lost between Briles and Bowlsby.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Art Briles has been bitching non-stop since they were left out. There's no love lost between Briles and Bowlsby.

Be that as it may, the commissioner taking potshots at a member team of his conference isn't a great look.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Air Force to the Big XII sounds bizarre. I could never imagine a power conference even considering a service academy. Is there any precedent for that happening?

Air Force isn't a serious contender for joining the Big 12, I don't know why they are so popular over here.

from the current AD back in 2011 posted:

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh said.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

Air Force would get pulverized playing a 8-9 game Big 12 schedule, they aren't joining.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Action Saxxon posted:

Air Force isn't a serious contender for joining the Big 12, I don't know why they are so popular over here.

Air Force would get pulverized playing a 8-9 game Big 12 schedule, they aren't joining.

Wait, so did the Big 12 actually approach them or was the AD full of poo poo? Because if the Big 12 considered them an option in 2011 it seems reasonable they might still give them consideration now. They wouldn't be a great addition, but they'd probably be about as competitive long term as Boise or several other options that have been brought up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

Wait, so did the Big 12 actually approach them or was the AD full of poo poo? Because if the Big 12 considered them an option in 2011 it seems reasonable they might still give them consideration now. They wouldn't be a great addition, but they'd probably be about as competitive long term as Boise or several other options that have been brought up.

Air Force didn't want in then, still doesn't want in now. Doesn't matter what the Big 12 wants.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Air Force didn't want in then, still doesn't want in now. Doesn't matter what the Big 12 wants.

Well, Air Force is going to learn that much like its own cadets, the Big 12 doesn't take no for an answer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Big XII already has enough religious schools. We don't need to add Air Force.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

go3 posted:

Mizzou fits because Tigers

Can we swap?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Frackie Robinson posted:

I still think the Big 12 probably just stands pat and waits for autobids for all power 5 conference champs when the playoff expands to 6 or 8 in a few years, but just for fun here's another plausible expansion scenario where they add one team to the east (Cincy) and one to the west.

Big 12 West
Baylor
BYU/CSU/Boise
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia

Notes:

-TCU needs to be in the east to accomplish this, but still gets Tech and Baylor every year (if continued exposure in Texas is a concern).
-Kansas-ISU playing every year is just a side effect of the other protected games, but they aren't likely to object.

UCF in place of Cincy.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 8, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deteriorata posted:

The money, and reality, would likely be different for them now; but I am sure the conference would approach them again.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm sure they approached a lot of schools to gauge their interest/argue their case. It doesn't mean that we offered them a spot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm sure they approached a lot of schools to gauge their interest/argue their case. It doesn't mean that we offered them a spot.

I think the biggest problem is putting together a slate that remotely works regionally and doesn't force us into ACC style stupid divisions. UCF and Cincy could solve that issue somewhat by just both being in the "East" division as long as everyone in the "East" was assured to have at least a game in Texas every year. That would be a gift to WVU and Kansas State.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Big 12 West
Baylor
BYU/CSU/Boise
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Texas Tech

Big 12 East
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia

Notes:

Weak Division

Baylor
BYU/CSU/Boise
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Texas Tech

Regular Divison

Cincinnati
Texas
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
West Virginia

The Weak Division winner will probably have avoided playing Texas and OU in the regular season and will give Texas/OU a chance to beat a top-15 opponent in the B12CG most years (Big Ten West method).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the biggest problem is putting together a slate that remotely works regionally and doesn't force us into ACC style stupid divisions. UCF and Cincy could solve that issue somewhat by just both being in the "East" division as long as everyone in the "East" was assured to have at least a game in Texas every year. That would be a gift to WVU and Kansas State.

With 4 Texas teams it should be pretty easy to guarantee a game there every year. I think if we expand Cincinnati and UCF are the top 2 teams. I still think we should take a shot at the ACC teams that we approached before and Notre Dame, though. Even with the large buyouts on the grant of rights I think it could make economic sense since those teams will most likely be bringing in a larger share than any AAC or other midmajor team could.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

With 4 Texas teams it should be pretty easy to guarantee a game there every year. I think if we expand Cincinnati and UCF are the top 2 teams. I still think we should take a shot at the ACC teams that we approached before and Notre Dame, though. Even with the large buyouts on the grant of rights I think it could make economic sense since those teams will most likely be bringing in a larger share than any AAC or other midmajor team could.

BYU is a long shot, but probably still better than any mid-major available. Again though, barring someone from the ACC unexpectedly defecting, the Big 12's best move is probably to wait and see how the playoff evolves over the next 6-8 years.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah. I mean, I don't think we'd really /want/ Cincy for a variety of reasons but they're probably the best option that doesn't cause a bunch of other issues. Gravy would be Clempson, FSU or Notre Dame.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

BYU is a long shot, but probably still better than any mid-major available. Again though, barring someone from the ACC unexpectedly defecting, the Big 12's best move is probably to wait and see how the playoff evolves over the next 6-8 years.

Oh, BYU would sign up in a heart beat if they were offered. The question is whether the conference would want to deal with that or not.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Baylor was probably still a terrible program when those were scheduled. How else do you end up going to Buffalo as a power conference team?

Yeah, for Buffalo especially and most of those that's true. The only legitimate gripe is Incarnate Word which was scheduled last year, but they made up for it by scheduling then-ranked Duke for a home and home this year (2017 I think). There's not many places that want to schedule Baylor now, and rumor mill is Tennessee is open on short notice but they don't want Baylor for obvious reasons (stated reasons are: "We already have Oklahoma"). Baylor doesn't share blame for their record at all until the next 3-5 years or so, but they've already rectified that.

Frackie Robinson posted:

It just proves his dumb ulterior motive. Not only was he playing the system and trying to maybe squeeze two big 12 teams in, he clearly favored TCU and refused to name Baylor tie-breaker champions to the committee because of that. You can tell because over the summer he knew the spirit of the Big 12 law was to use the tiebreaker to send up a champion to the postseason, but then just last week he took out his dictionary and thesaurus and combed every inch of the bylaws and found it just said "postseason bowl" and used that dumb nerdy technically correct reason to refuse to name Baylor the champions to the committee. He deserves to be fired he sucks.

kayakyakr posted:

Good. Works for Stoops, I'm glad he's doing it. Seems to work okay for Patterson too since he complains after every game, whereas Briles just complains after an entire season finishes and he has to to convince a dumb committee that the Big 12 is good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can still create fairly logical east and west divisions adding a western team and an eastern team (if there's a viable candidate). For the example I posted above:

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 8, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

You can still create fairly logical east and west divisions adding a western team and an eastern team (if there's a viable candidate). For the example I posted above:

I think they'd put the Kansas twins in the East instead of the Okies. I also don't particularly think any of the out west schools do anything for us.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

Scheduling poo poo

I'm a little torn on the scheduling issue. On the one hand I don't think it's as easy for Baylor to pick up a good non-con game (especially in the next 3 years or so) as some folks imply, just because it's easy to see how top teams might not see Baylor as a good enough name to risk losing to and how mid-or-low tier power-5 teams don't want to take on a team that will probably beat them and make the road to a bowl or a respectable program-building win count that much harder.

On the other hand, come the gently caress on, Incarnate Word only got on the schedule this year, and the poo poo I said above can't apply to everybody, can it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think they'd put the Kansas twins in the East instead of the Okies

Maybe, but it sure would balance things a lot more if they kept OU/OSU separate from most of the Texas teams. As long as OU-Texas is protected I don't think you're splitting anybody who's going to insist on playing every year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

Maybe, but it sure would balance things a lot more if they kept OU/OSU separate from most of the Texas teams. As long as OU-Texas is protected I don't think you're splitting anybody who's going to insist on playing every year.

They were in the same division in the old conference, no reason for them not to be now.

I would also assume we'd play the poo poo show of 9-3 KSU/WVU in JurrahWorld

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They were in the same division in the old conference, no reason for them not to be now.

I would also assume we'd play the poo poo show of 9-3 KSU/WVU in JurrahWorld

Oh, now I get it.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm a little torn on the scheduling issue. On the one hand I don't think it's as easy for Baylor to pick up a good non-con game (especially in the next 3 years or so) as some folks imply, just because it's easy to see how top teams might not see Baylor as a good enough name to risk losing to and how mid-or-low tier power-5 teams don't want to take on a team that will probably beat them and make the road to a bowl or a respectable program-building win count that much harder.

On the other hand, come the gently caress on, Incarnate Word only got on the schedule this year, and the poo poo I said above can't apply to everybody, can it?

I think all of the nonconference schedules are pretty much the same. There's a few standouts like when Michigan State plays Oregon or something like that, but there's almost no difference between the major teams. Alabama had a CCG which got them to one more power 5 team than Big 12 teams did, but all the other SEC teams just had equal numbers of P5 teams. The SEC in particular does funny scheduling tricks like hiding their cupcake bye week right before champ week. There's really no difference. In Baylor's case, SMU is a historical rivalry up with TCU so that's why both teams schedule them pretty regularly, it just sucks that they suck right now. I don't think anyone believes if Baylor lost at home to a lovely team early in the season that they could've made the playoff like Ohio State did, so I don't mind their scheduling so far especially since they're adding the required weak P5 team that everyone thinks you need to schedule to be legit (Duke). I don't think scheduling was what did it, it was a combination of factors like Ohio State tricking people in the last game of the season and the lack of upsets that usually happen in CCGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Seems like they could at least line up three FBS opponents. I bet they could rope Idaho into a 3 for 1 tomorrow.

• Locked thread