Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Has anyone noticed a drop in number of people on the server? Now that MR and Dateline NBC are clearly on top I'm curious. Hopefully the devs are paying attention but then, this is Wurm. I know when it started it was like 100 users at once on the server.

If there's not another free to play challenge I'll play around with the new features in Life is Feudal again. At least you can stab via mouse gestures in that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bit sad that life is feudal is turning out to be yet another terrible extended alpha money grab, just like albion online (which also registered accounts on SA to shill and spam their game, then get those threads gassed), black desert online (cash shop clothes give large stat bonuses, p2w, etc), eq next, [....]

Where the gently caress is my sandbox mmo

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

I'm a bit sad that life is feudal is turning out to be yet another terrible extended alpha money grab, just like albion online (which also registered accounts on SA to shill and spam their game, then get those threads gassed), black desert online (cash shop clothes give large stat bonuses, p2w, etc), eq next, [....]

Where the gently caress is my sandbox mmo

As soon as I saw how expensive Life is Feudal was, and how they kept changing the title of the game, I knew it was some kind of Alpha money scam.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sub 30 server pop again, christ. I'd like to see how many of those players are from certain kingdoms and villages. 36% of those players online are us, as far as alliance is concerned.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I will be chopping trees in peace when the challenge ends

Edit: Candipie or w/e hooked me up with a 71ql longbow and some string. I found some cedar and made a shitload of arrows. Killed my first zombie cow/angry giant spider. It's nice to kill things instead of die :downs:

What is HotA in 4 hours and 20 minutes? :420: Can I help with that?? I'll try to grind my longbow skill up prior, but I need some plate.

Also server is down for ~30 minutes starting now. Maint

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

a wonderful mess of defense

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

This is the only time I've probably got actual joyment out of playing wurm normally and not destroying other players trees and roads.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Any plans on migrating to a more populated server or is ours expected to fill up some time soon?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Imapanda posted:

Any plans on migrating to a more populated server or is ours expected to fill up some time soon?

oh it will be full in a few days if it's still f2p

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I guess we got raided by (???) some time ago and they made it to our settlement token.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Avocados posted:

I guess we got raided by (???) some time ago and they made it to our settlement token.

Would you mind giving a general update of anything that's gone on in the past week? I'm curious how everyone is faring but too bogged down in work to bother trying to catch up in-game.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Xibanya posted:

Would you mind giving a general update of anything that's gone on in the past week? I'm curious how everyone is faring but too bogged down in work to bother trying to catch up in-game.

everyone is waiting for the end of this server in 5 days and not much at all is going on since almost no one plays.
just been testing out some bullshit and hoping next challenge is soon and without premium.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They post anything about new yet?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Biowarfare posted:

They post anything about new yet?

Rolf is on vacation so with any luck he'll provide an update upon his return.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It starts tomorrow or?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Rolf is on vacation

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Thanks for nothing!

Here are the Challenge Stats: http://www.wurmonline.com/challenge-stats/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Thanks for nothing!

Here are the Challenge Stats: http://www.wurmonline.com/challenge-stats/

i've been killed by every name on that list except ordecc

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So is the server reset yet and still F2P?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Wait this game was made by Notch? I remember playing in Goondor and pre-Goondor days, holy poo poo.

How bitter is Rolf that he's not a billionaire?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

So is the server reset yet and still F2P?
Rolf is back from vacation now but hasn't said anything about anything yet except for some brief patch notes. I'm still waiting for more information before I do any substantial planning.

NZAmoeba posted:

Wait this game was made by Notch? I remember playing in Goondor and pre-Goondor days, holy poo poo.

Notch made the original client, then some volunteers and maybe Rolf did a crappy job of updating it for a few years after Notch left. About 2 years ago Rolf finally got a small team of paid developers and now progress has been pretty regular and a lot of good common-sense features have been added that should have been added in a long time ago. I haven't seen any bitter remarks by Rolf regarding Minecraft, but I like to imagine that Challenge Server is his way of admitting that Notch's approach to game design is better.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Is the server not reset yet?

Don't fail me now Wurm goons I started playing this poo poo game again just for you

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

NZAmoeba posted:

I did a little more research on the relationship between Rolf and Notch and found some interesting stuff in this book about the development history of Minecraft. Especially this quote from Rolf in a phone interview regarding Notch's success with Minecraft:

Rolf posted:

I am really glad that Markus has gotten rich. That comes from the heart. On the other hand, I'm not completely at peace with how it happened. I can't think of anything else to say

My understanding is that Rolf and Notch used to be really close but grew distant when Rolf co-opted more of the design process in Wurm, and then they moved to different cities, and then Notch left to make Minecraft. Notch is still apparently on Rolf's company board but has no actual creative control, and their relationship is strictly business now. So yeah he's kinda bitter for sure, but I think it's less out of jealousy and more out of a sense of being cheated somehow when they broke off to do their own things.

Justin Tyme posted:

Is the server not reset yet?

Don't fail me now Wurm goons I started playing this poo poo game again just for you

Rolf finally gave an update about Challenge today, mostly just announcing the winners, but also said he'll start a feedback thread on the Wurm forums, and announce the next scenario start date "asap". I'll link to that thread here once he posts it, and I recommend registering an account on the Wurm forums so we can all yell at Rolf to keep Challenge F2P until he fixes the bugs and the kingdom balance.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 12, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo i can't wait any longer to make 34,000 arrows

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
The Challenge Server feedback thread is up now on the official Wurm forums. The Mol-Rehan guys we were fighting are all asking for Challenge to be pay-only, so it's important that we all get accounts on the Wurm forums and make these suggestions:

• Keep Challenge free-to-play until it stays balanced for more than the first week
  • Either nerf kingdom titles/items or make player-made kingdoms cheaper so everyone can have access to them
  • Improve the map so it doesn't have steep slopes over most of the coastline, and make it easier to find exposed rock faces with iron ore

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 13, 2015

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I posted :effort:

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Here's some more suggestions to copy and paste in the feedback thread:

code:
prevent horses from going into the water when not led
put less water on the map so horses don't wander in
fix the siege machine bugs
don't let people build or terraform the HOTA
newbie tools should be no-drop for the first 24 hours of play time
make newbie tools no-drop again
archery needs adamantium and glittersteel items too
siege shields should be planted instead of dropped

add more dry land to the map
the next map needs more exposed rock faces with ore
there was too much water on the last map
make the terrain less hilly
dirt layer needs to be smaller
put less water and more plateau-like mountains on the next map
starting locations should be more symetric
put starting locations in better defensive terrain
improve the map balance
keep the fast skillgain

keep challenge server F2P
don't make challenge server premium-only
the server should stay free for this next scenario
challenge server needs to stay free until the bugs are worked out
challenge still needs to be F2P for now

kingdom items and titles are too powerful
encourage players to fight in the HOTA and resource spawns instead of raiding villages
remove PMKs
get rid of kingdom titles
remove champion damage reduction
increase the shieldbash cooldown

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
do we comment on how it might be slightly unfair that a single player can get a year of free premium and 100 silver coins

Jaur
Jun 5, 2005

uguu~
Does this game still have the awful way-too-long tutorial for new accounts? I used to play beta back in 2007 and a little bit afterwards, but I can't bring myself to go through that excruciating tutorial process.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Jaur posted:

Does this game still have the awful way-too-long tutorial for new accounts? I used to play beta back in 2007 and a little bit afterwards, but I can't bring myself to go through that excruciating tutorial process.

no ithere is not you just go when you play with us to select server and that's it

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You know what, gently caress those stupid rear end pubbies, I hope it become pay to play so their stupid game crashes and burns and nobody ever plays it.

Server population plummeted like a stone after the powerful players mopped up? The cause of that must be all the f2p accounts!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
what is this

quote:

Treasure hunts!
The GM team are looking into starting up an old and fun tradition which is organized treasure hunts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was pretty pumped to start my yearly expedition into this lovely game but now it seems that 30 day server is offline. I really don't want to play this alone, and my character's former base has been taken over by some other shitheels so I don't even have a nice layout.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was pretty pumped to start my yearly expedition into this lovely game but now it seems that 30 day server is offline. I really don't want to play this alone, and my character's former base has been taken over by some other shitheels so I don't even have a nice layout.

It launches in 1st

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Biowarfare posted:

what is this

The GMs used to take the valuable items from permabanned players and stuff it in chests and hide it somewhere on the server, then drop hints on the forums.
Apparently they are starting something like that again except without the banned player part.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any actual goons that still play this? I made a small deed on the edge of the Celebration map until I can manage to make a boat and sail to Xanadu. Then once Storm comes back I'll drop it all and play there for about a week before I lose interest.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Are they doing another challenge server and, if so, what will our player count be like?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Forgotton posted:

Are they doing another challenge server and, if so, what will our player count be like?

yes a lot

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Looks like the next round starts on the 11th. Wonder if they'll manage to finally get the ballista working before the start.
Starting everyone with 70fs will be a nice change to get the action going quickly, and the ability to respawn with armor will be good during a siege so you don't have to try to defend half geared after your first death.
Screenshot of the map on the page.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117886-news-update-work-and-progress-week-5/

quote:

Challenge Round 2, Dominance!

This round we want to give more incentives for kingdom cooperation.
Empowering starting players in order to make them feel more at par with the veteran Wurm players.
We have also made quite a lot of other changes based on the feedback from the forum.

First off, this time we will feature our very first fully hand crafted island.
As our earlier vision was we wanted to create a map with equal starting points and points of strategic interest and Cauldron is the result.

In Cauldron each of the three kingdoms start with a single starter deed each on one of the individual offshoots of the island.
In the middle is the Hunt Of The Ancients (HOTA) zone which will have one single and important resource point with a bit longer intervals between spawns.
The resource point will be guarded by buffed kingdom guards who are aggressive towards anyone threatening their loot.
There will be no building or terraforming allowed in the hota zone.

Between the starter deed and hota zone each kingdom has a “Battle Camp” which is a capture point.
No building or terraforming is allowed here.
This is a strategic asset as it will in the end determine which kingdom comes out as victorious.
As long as your kingdom is in control of a battle camp, the kingdom receives points over time.
It also means that the kingdom controlling two or more battle camps receive more points over time.

You will start with 70 fighting skill (which equals 90% of max skill), the possibility to ride horses from day one.
You will also with each respawn get a choice of starting gear.
For example: A High QL leather, Medium QL chain or low QL plate armor.
Also which weapon or weapon with shield in medium quality.
The starting gears can not be improved or recycled into crafting materials.
If they are dropped or its wearer dies they are instantly destroyed.

There will be no PMKs allowed for this round.

Treasure chests will get spawned at random locations on the map containing valuable resources.

The preliminary release date of Challenge round Dominance is set to Wednesday 11th of February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm surprised they went with all those very un-wurm-like changes. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

• Locked thread