Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

change my loving avatar

How do you feel about hot dog hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

excited and anticipatory

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the gods have smiled upon me this day~

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Robo Reagan posted:

I thought Bioshock Gone Home Infinite Effect 3 was the Citizen Kane of gaming

Bioshock Infinite was the Memento of gaming.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bioshock infinite was the matrix of gaming

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Stux posted:

bioshock infinite was the matrix of gaming

bioshock infinite was the matrix: reloaded of gaming

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It would be cool if everyone from Games went into one game, like for a big party or whatever, every now and then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kewpuh posted:

Not great, honestly. Peaks at around 1400 but average is down about ~100 users from this point last year. Posts are down, as well as guests, but I don't know if the guests being down is due to paywall or not. This is also just for Games itself, doesn't include the subforums under it.

Games participation is down because all the cool kids are posting it up in the Imp Zone :frogc00l:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

Suggestion to boost Games traffic: keep doing what you are all doing; it's working and I'm gonna guess that the 100 or so that we lost were lost during the forums downtime and glitchiness.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like Hot Dog Hat. :)

Have there been any particularly embarrassing reports lately? Can we see them? Pretty please? :kiddo:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kewpuh posted:

Not great, honestly. Peaks at around 1400 but average is down about ~100 users from this point last year. Posts are down, as well as guests, but I don't know if the guests being down is due to paywall or not. This is also just for Games itself, doesn't include the subforums under it.

Would Imp Zone stealing threads account for that? There are usually around 80-120 people browsing imp zone.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys have done well with the light moderation touch and stickies.

I think what would be fun is for there to be a game night once every month where everyone goonrushes a F2P game (could be like TF2, might be some awful F2P mmo, whatever). Lumbering Troll's server has a stupid huge population cap. I haven't really thought that out, but that would be cool if some goon would try to organize that

Robo Reagan posted:

Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

oh...I didn't even see this post, I'm dumb

eonwe fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Doctor Goat posted:

Would Imp Zone stealing threads account for that? There are usually around 80-120 people browsing imp zone.

I mean it's possible, but you'd still like to see growth opposed to stagnation, ya know? So even if the case is that the entirety of Games, subforums included, are still pretty much the same as they were last year, it's disheartening to see that there isn't really a big draw to new people because there's just so much other poo poo out there now like Reddit. I think we're at the point where people join to post in Games because maybe they ran into a Goon Squad on some particular game and the experience was interesting enough for them to come check out the place

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Robo Reagan posted:

net cafe scandal posted:

It would be cool if everyone from Games went into one game, like for a big party or whatever, every now and then.

I'm imagining this like the movie/book of the month that Cinema Discusso and Book Barn do, but instead of Citizen Kane or Pride and Prejudice it's loving Ragnarok Online or something.

So yeah let's do this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its too bad too, because a lot of goons jizz all over themselves to make fun of j4gs. A lot of goons act like they are better than pubbies, when really, goons are pubbies who paid $10 to post on a message board. I kind of wish the 'j4g' thing would go by the wayside. The only game where it has ever probably been a real concern is EVE, but literally every other game it doesn't even matter.

A lot of goons don't seem to even realize that the rules have been relaxed and they can 'JUST POST' a lot more than a couple years ago.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'd like to see more web content. The #1 thing that stands out to me when I read /r/gaming is the overall amount of content.

EDIT: ^^^ Agreedo.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Is that possible in our community, though? How many people have the right kind of sperg to create content like you'd find on reddit or NeoGAF with thick enough skin to handle the typical back-and-forths we have here?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

DangerKat posted:

Is that possible in our community, though? How many people have the right kind of sperg to create content like you'd find on reddit or NeoGAF with thick enough skin to handle the typical back-and-forths we have here?

More people than you'd imagine. People just have to get over the self loathing complex when it comes to popular content here; we've had some amazing photoshop jobs happening over in Imp Zone, especially with the Character Challenge that we had going on for awhile ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674276 is the first bracket). We also had this dude make some pretty cool comics: ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654803 ) and who could forget Bowser's gaffe: ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3 ) Some of it gets goldmined, some of doesn't but it'd be cool to see a collection of the neat content people who enjoy video games have made over the last year in a sort of megathread that can then be goldmined or whatever. Maybe even toss it on the front page; it can't be any worse than the stuff that goes up there half the time.

Not just stuff from Imp Zone either. People in the Repopulation thread in MMO HMO have been abusing the character creator to make some absolutely horrifying faces:

randombattle posted:

I AM THE PERFECT HUMAN ONLY THROUGH PERFECTION CAN WE TRIUMPH.

We've had a whole year of really neat content from photoshops to in game screenshots to neat videos and stuff. Maybe it'd be neat and give us some visibility if we could compile it and toss it on the front page or something.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Here. I'll make a thread. Since it's not exactly "games" feel free to gas it if you want. We can see what happens with it and hopefully goons won't be retarded and just post dicks in it or whatever. I hate thread rules but I'm going to make a few for it and even though I can't enforce them maybe people will just be nice since it's the holidays.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Widestancer posted:

Here. I'll make a thread. Since it's not exactly "games" feel free to gas it if you want. We can see what happens with it and hopefully goons won't be retarded and just post dicks in it or whatever. I hate thread rules but I'm going to make a few for it and even though I can't enforce them maybe people will just be nice since it's the holidays.
Link that sucka.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kewpuh posted:

I mean it's possible, but you'd still like to see growth opposed to stagnation, ya know? So even if the case is that the entirety of Games, subforums included, are still pretty much the same as they were last year, it's disheartening to see that there isn't really a big draw to new people because there's just so much other poo poo out there now like Reddit. I think we're at the point where people join to post in Games because maybe they ran into a Goon Squad on some particular game and the experience was interesting enough for them to come check out the place

2014 has been a poo poo year for video games. They either came out broken or were pushed into 2015. Maybe that's part of it?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Link that sucka.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686739

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

2014 has been a poo poo year for video games. They either came out broken or were pushed into 2015. Maybe that's part of it?

2014 has actually been absolutely amazing for video games.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'll meet you half-way. It's been an absolutely amazing year for broken video games.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 8, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

It's been an absolutely amazing year for broken video games.

How have you not been able to have fun with Smash Brothers (both or either), Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, to name a few?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Shovel Knight is really goddamn good and you should all play it a lot.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 8, 2014

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Widestancer posted:

How have you not been able to have fun with Smash Brothers (both or either), Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, to name a few?

So it was a really good year for Nintendo is what you're saying?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

abraxas posted:

That sounds like a good year for gaming for me, and there are several other fun games that people have been playing. Shovel Knight though to me is legit one of the best games I've played all year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

abraxas posted:

PC:

Dark Souls 2
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
D3: Reaper of Souls
Shovel Knight
Stick of Truth
Battleblock Theatre
Shadow of Mordor
Banner Saga
Far Cry 4
Xenonauts

also I don't know if any of these were early access in 2013 and you could technically play them then and i dont care

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Widestancer posted:

All I could remember off the top of my head was Battlefield 4 being a mess since launch, Ubisoft games being so janky they had to offer free games and stuff like that. I've wanted a PS4 for a while, but there's nothing I want to play on it yet. It'll probably come down to Mortal Kombat Cross and the real MGS5 for me.

I ended up with a Wii U though, so I guess you're right. Nintendo delivered.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Games is life. Wii U is life.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

By the way - I think a Loadout game of the month goon rush would be cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208090/

Its f2p, its pretty fun, a goon (and pretty decent guy) made it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
This year in gaming was kind of a surprise on the Nintendo end of things, with Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros. keeping me entertained for a period of time. PC-wise, Trails in the Sky and Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming were the two games I got really excited about, and the rest was just one blur from there.

I found this year's offering of games to be simply "good". Not "great", but "good". I don't understand why I can't feel the same excitement as most others in the forums regarding the big name titles this year, Shovel Knight, or Nintendo's offerings, but perhaps I need to re-evaluate the way I look at games.

As far as the forums go, I think they're very well moderated as of the moment, and each of the moderators has lived up to everyone's expectations (so I think). Well done, guys.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

So even if the case is that the entirety of Games, subforums included, are still pretty much the same as they were last year, it's disheartening to see that there isn't really a big draw to new people because there's just so much other poo poo out there now like Reddit. I think we're at the point where people join to post in Games because maybe they ran into a Goon Squad on some particular game and the experience was interesting enough for them to come check out the place

How long was the paywall up for? I dunno if it's confirmation bias but it feels like it was up longer than it was down, and that'll definitely affect signups because no-one in 2014 is going to pay $10 for content they can't preview when they could just piss off to Reddit instead. The downtime / general upheaval probably didn't help either. Staying steady in the face of that's pretty good.

What are you counting as peak time, though? It's barely noon in the US and Games is at 1300+ people on, so at the very least there must be a pretty solid run of people through the whole day.

I think the forums are pretty great and I get to run a ton of cool board games.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Widestancer posted:

More people than you'd imagine.

I stand corrected.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gamer Hell Yeah!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Stelas posted:

How long was the paywall up for? I dunno if it's confirmation bias but it feels like it was up longer than it was down, and that'll definitely affect signups because no-one in 2014 is going to pay $10 for content they can't preview when they could just piss off to Reddit instead. The downtime / general upheaval probably didn't help either. Staying steady in the face of that's pretty good.

What are you counting as peak time, though? It's barely noon in the US and Games is at 1300+ people on, so at the very least there must be a pretty solid run of people through the whole day.

I think the forums are pretty great and I get to run a ton of cool board games.

Peak time usually is between around 4:00PM to about 10:00PM EST

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Video Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

Peak time usually is between around 4:00PM to about 10:00PM EST

how often do i get reported

• Locked thread