Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Stelas posted:

How long was the paywall up for? I dunno if it's confirmation bias but it feels like it was up longer than it was down, and that'll definitely affect signups because no-one in 2014 is going to pay $10 for content they can't preview when they could just piss off to Reddit instead.

This is specifically the draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Stux posted:

how often do i get reported

probably never

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

This is a good idea. There have been things like this in the past and it was a lot of fun. You could also create mini games within the game-of-the-month like best shenanigans or who can entice the most rage or something. Maybe a prize could be an avatar. I need an avatar...

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm imagining this like the movie/book of the month that Cinema Discusso and Book Barn do, but instead of Citizen Kane or Pride and Prejudice it's loving Ragnarok Online or something.

So yeah let's do this.

This is a good and fun idea, but would a regular game of the month thread get any interest? Like it could be in December you need to play/replay Doom 2 and talk about how much you love/hate Doom 2 for example.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Contest Winner posted:

This is a good and fun idea, but would a regular game of the month thread get any interest? Like it could be in December you need to play/replay Doom 2 and talk about how much you love/hate Doom 2 for example.

I would be all about this poo poo

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Contest Winner posted:

I would participate in this.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Kewpuh posted:

Peak time usually is between around 4:00PM to about 10:00PM EST

What sort of advertising/penetration does SomethingAwful do? It's been quite awhile since I've seen anything about these forums mentioned on external sites (with exception given to EVE discussions).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Contest Winner posted:

Honestly I think the original idea was just goonrushing a F2P game and dicking around online until getting bored. However, a monthly game discussion/analysis/bullshitting thread would be rad. I have so many games I need an excuse to play/replay, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Contest Winner posted:

This is a great idea -- we could have most months be multiplatform and occasionally an "exclusives" month where people play PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo/PC only games. Or maybe just always multiplatform. Either way, love it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Contest Winner posted:

Echoing everyone else, I would totally would be down for doing something like this.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I encourage and believe in things that help people have fun gaming together so that sounds neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Echoing everyone else, I would totally would be down for doing something like this.

Yeah, honestly, that sounds pretty fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, now that we are pretty clear that this would be cool. What game/games do you guys think would be good for a game of the month? Obviously Doom 2 already got thrown out there, but any other ideas?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

whichever hot new indie retro pixelart roguelike simulation is out on steam that month

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Contest Winner posted:

I like this. How about we have Kewpuh or some other Mod/IK pick a game to start out with, and then they pick someone else to come up with a suggestion for the next month, and then picks get doled out by whoever got picked last.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

DangerKat posted:

This is a great idea -- we could have most months be multiplatform and occasionally an "exclusives" month where people play PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo/PC only games. Or maybe just always multiplatform. Either way, love it.

This but also another thread where we play generally agreed upon bad games and try to enjoy them despite their flaws.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

This but also another thread where we play generally agreed upon bad games and try to enjoy them despite their flaws.

It'd be fun to do a thread where people discuss the positive sides of flawed/bad games to be honest, but I admit that's something I like doing in general.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be fun to do a thread where people discuss the positive sides of flawed/bad games to be honest, but I admit that's something I like doing in general.

In principle there shouldn't be a problem with doing that kind of armchair designer discussion in just the regular thread for a game, but people tend to throw a fit any time that happens. And it would probably be a jumbled mess if you had just one thread for all such talk.

I guess there's no harm in :justpost:ing, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ideally the game of the month should be something easily attainable - on steam or GOG, and/or on PSN/Xbox Live/EShop. Probably something that's older, too, both so it isn't redundant (people are already playing through and discussiong, say, Dragon Age Inquisition) and so it can be gotten for cheaper than a full price game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I would be all about that poo poo.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Endorph posted:

Ideally the game of the month should be something easily attainable - on steam or GOG, and/or on PSN/Xbox Live/EShop. Probably something that's older, too, both so it isn't redundant (people are already playing through and discussiong, say, Dragon Age Inquisition) and so it can be gotten for cheaper than a full price game.

This is what I was thinking as well, as not only does it allow the most possible people to participate but it also will maybe let me finally get at my GOG backlog.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For a while after the release of Rome 2 I was hosting a Goon Fight Club for the game. Every Friday we had goon fights and I would stream the matches as a spectator while commentating on them. Goons who wanted to play would just speak up in chat and that's how we formed the matches.

We stopped doing it after a while but I think that is a good example of social goon gaming that more people should do.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

ImpAtom posted:

In addition to a Game of the Month thing, I think an "Is it that bad?" thread would also be great. At least until comedy geniuses start making GBS threads it up with Bioshock Infinite and Shadows of Mordor posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Easy Rule for a 'is it that bad' thread: No games with a metacritic score higher than 60.

Or you could do it in a game of the month format too.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dear Kewpuhclaus, For Cowcastmas I would like either a 10 speed bike or to have the 1079p age Xbox One thread moved to its final resting place in the YCS Goldmine.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dogo posted:

This is a good idea. There have been things like this in the past and it was a lot of fun. You could also create mini games within the game-of-the-month like best shenanigans or who can entice the most rage or something. Maybe a prize could be an avatar. I need an avatar...

but you've already got the best avatar of all

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think some good games of the month would be KotoR, Vice City, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstine, and The Longest Journey would all be good game of the month candidates. They are cheap and run on a toaster.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ever since that Vice City update, I was wondering if it still had the Haitian dialog. I have been waiting for an excuse to try mods for the game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I think some good games of the month would be KotoR, Vice City, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstine, and The Longest Journey would all be good game of the month candidates. They are cheap and run on a toaster.

All excellent ideas. My first thought when it came up was the original Deus Ex, for similar reasons.

And then we could do Invisible War in the Bad Thread! :getin:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It would be pretty rad if a bunch of people installed Warcraft 2 Battle.net edition and we all played online. The other suggestions are good, except The Longest Journey is too loving long and KOTOR might be too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Games and Imp Zone are my favorite forums. Thanks for doing a good job!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
If we're talking about ideas we want to run with, I've always wanted to see more regular game programming contests than the one they have every year. Like a monthly 7 day game-make a thon. Similar to the thunderdome in the Creative Convention. I could always :justpost:, but I dunno if I am the best fit for running the thing.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ImpAtom posted:

We already have the Xbox One thread.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hello kewpu

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's way more fun to actually play a bad game with other people than it is to just bitch about it. I think that idea has a lot of merit to it. There are several cheap terrible games out there and not only that terrible mods and servers for various games most of us probably already own as well.

With steam broadcast the potential for sharing funny poo poo with other goons just got way better too!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Forums are way better than 18 months ago, good job everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Forums are way better than 18 months ago, good job everyone.
the imp zone is way better than when we were mods

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wasn't talking about Imp Zone (which didn't exist 18 months ago), I was talking about Games. Glad things are working out in that forum tho.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I wasn't talking about Imp Zone (which didn't exist 18 months ago), I was talking about Games. Glad things are working out in that forum tho.

There is a correlation here, see if you can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

There is a correlation here, see if you can find it.

every post I've seen you make in games or gbs is super unfunny, but I don't read the xbox thread, maybe you are a superstar there

• Locked thread