Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It shouldn't matter if it has a thread or not is my input but I do think it would be cool to try to track down some odd balls. lovely odd games don't usually get their own threads so that could solve itself.

But if a bunch of "Misunderstood Games (don't shoot can't breathe) thread" posters wanna dcss sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I mean, I wouldn't set it in stone as a rule or anything but I definitely think that Crawl's a bad choice because it already has a thread full of people that will happily do challenge runs already. Plus, any interesting moments or stories that come out of it might not be very accessible compared to gifs of dumb moments in Bad Action Game #237.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish there hadn't already been some high-profile LPs of the Cabela's Dangerous Hunt games because at least one of them is goddamn hilarious and like $2.50 at any given Gamestop.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stelas posted:

I mean, I wouldn't set it in stone as a rule or anything but I definitely think that Crawl's a bad choice because it already has a thread full of people that will happily do challenge runs already. Plus, any interesting moments or stories that come out of it might not be very accessible compared to gifs of dumb moments in Bad Action Game #237.

Alrighty whatevs, no big deal

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I wish there hadn't already been some high-profile LPs of the Cabela's Dangerous Hunt games because at least one of them is goddamn hilarious and like $2.50 at any given Gamestop.

You can make more LP's and I think some more discussion of the absolutely retarded hunting games out there would be funny and good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah like I have seen LPs of Alien Colonial Marines and how horrible it was, but I tried that game and well, yeah it is still horrible but there are still some aspects of it that goons can provide.

Like the loving last boss loving MOVING out of the way at the last second. That was drat bullshit! :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Widestancer posted:

You can make more LP's and I think some more discussion of the absolutely retarded hunting games out there would be funny and good.

Well, I didn't mean that you couldn't, more that I imagine enough people watched it that some of the fun of "haha, it seriously does that" might be lost.

You're right though, there are plenty of amazingly dumb hunting games out there.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I would like to cordially invite the moderation and administration team of the Games forum and its subforums to submit the Funniest Reports of Games (including subforums) 2014 Edition to the scrapbook thread so that they can be memorialized.

In order to make it more palatable feel free to redact the names of posters involved.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Widestancer posted:

I would like to cordially invite the moderation and administration team of the Games forum and its subforums to submit the Funniest Reports of Games (including subforums) 2014 Edition to the scrapbook thread so that they can be memorialized.

In order to make it more palatable feel free to redact the names of posters involved.

Someone asked earlier in the thread if SA advertised. I don't think it does, but maybe this is how it should do? Adverts on free or otherwise unmoderated forums showing the kind of things people get banned/probated for here. Either it'll attract trolls and feed Lowtax :10bux: or else maybe it'll attract people who think "hey, this forum has people being dicks, maybe on SA people don't actually just get to spam racism and be creepy weirdos?!"

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If y'all want me to put together the game of the month thread I can do it later today. Just figure out what game you'd want to start with - something kind if on the shorter end since the month is partway done already.

If no one has any better ideas I'll toss out Sanitarium, LOOM, or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Someone asked earlier in the thread if SA advertised. I don't think it does, but maybe this is how it should do? Adverts on free or otherwise unmoderated forums showing the kind of things people get banned/probated for here. Either it'll attract trolls and feed Lowtax :10bux: or else maybe it'll attract people who think "hey, this forum has people being dicks, maybe on SA people don't actually just get to spam racism and be creepy weirdos?!"

I don't think that last thing you said is true, but I welcome your ideas regardless.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just make Widestancer a mod already, tia.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

I'd say she deserves the position, but that would be an indictment of sorts.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Shortest Path posted:

why would you want to do something so rude to widestancer

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The SJWarrioring in threads really loving ruin them (see last few pages of the GTA V thread). I understand that type of discussion needs to happen, but generally anything to do with it usually ends in poo poo. The social issues thread we had a while back turned into a huge pile of poo poo in a forum filled with piles of shits. poo poo everywhere.

I don't have a solution or anything, I just want to read threads about games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lyer posted:

The SJWarrioring in threads really loving ruin them (see last few pages of the GTA V thread). I understand that type of discussion needs to happen, but generally anything to do with it usually ends in poo poo. The social issues thread we had a while back turned into a huge pile of poo poo in a forum filled with piles of shits. poo poo everywhere.

otoh i like that we can sometimes talk about serious issues and that this isnt 4chan full of slurs and casual bigotry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, that's kind of related to games

people get way too aggressive and way too defensive though, that's true. I don't think there's anything wrong with 'I think X is Y because Z, thoughts/opinions?' but I've so rarely seen people actually discuss it like adults. It always devolves into a slapfight with random labels being thrown around.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lyer posted:

The GTA V thing was funny because people didn't realize we were making fun of them. On the flip side I like that you can't just drop the n bomb in here or stuff like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lyer posted:

I'm kind of bewildered by what you want. Grand Theft Auto V itself takes on social issues. There is an entire mission which is literally just Torture Is Bad And Doesn't Work (which is pretty timely considering the report released today.)

I mean not to be a dick but the movie, book and television subforums are all able to discuss things without people going "I just want to discuss movies" so I'm not sure why video games need to be a special snowflake where people never discuss anything.

I mean there are unarguably people who are both immensely super-defensive babies who don't want to hear anything bad about a game they like and people who are looking to swing their tumblr dick around, but y'know, those kind of assholes exist anywhere.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of bewildered by what you want. Grand Theft Auto V itself takes on social issues. There is an entire mission which is literally just Torture Is Bad And Doesn't Work (which is pretty timely considering the report released today.)

I mean not to be a dick but the movie, book and television subforums are all able to discuss things without people going "I just want to discuss movies" so I'm not sure why video games need to be a special snowflake where people never discuss anything.

I mean there are unarguably people who are both immensely super-defensive babies who don't want to hear anything bad about a game they like and people who are looking to swing their tumblr dick around, but y'know, those kind of assholes exist anywhere.

It's fun to talk about those issues in a good hearted manner. It's also fun to laugh at people who legitimately state that "the core demographic of video games is white males and that sucks" as literally happened in that thread.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The absolute worst thing about any time discussion or criticism of a game gets heated is not the posters on either side of the debate, but the ones who only post a whine about how they "don't want to have to read" that kind of discussion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Widestancer posted:

It's fun to talk about those issues in a good hearted manner. It's also fun to laugh at people who legitimately state that "the core demographic of video games is white males and that sucks" as literally happened in that thread.
Why is that something worth making fun of? If it's super tumblr 'how dare people be white,' that's one thing, but if it's just 'I want to see a more diverse range of characters and developers' then that's pretty understandable.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SJWs aren't real.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

chumbler posted:

The absolute worst thing about any time discussion or criticism of a game gets heated is not the posters on either side of the debate, but the ones who only post a whine about how they "don't want to have to read" that kind of discussion

I dunno I'm not sure I want to have to read about what the legal age is in Iceland or whether it's okay to doxx goons to get better at your spaceship game but I definitely think that people who flat out don't want to read most discussions instead of just laughing at the people making them are silly.

I'd rather laugh at them because laughter is healthy.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Why is that something worth making fun of? If it's super tumblr 'how dare people be white,' that's one thing, but if it's just 'I want to see a more diverse range of characters and developers' then that's pretty understandable.

I want you to read some of the posts in the GTA V thread and tell me they're not worth making fun of with a straight face.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Widestancer posted:

I want you to read some of the posts in the GTA V thread and tell me they're not worth making fun of with a straight face.
Like I said, some of those posts are totally worth making fun of because they were being weird dumbasses, but the sentiment you used as an example isn't.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

Like I said, some of those posts are totally worth making fun of because they were being weird dumbasses, but the sentiment you used as an example isn't.

That wasn't a sentiment it was a post someone actually made

Fayez Butts posted:

This is so untrue it's not funny. Videogames these days have exactly one major demographic, white loving males. And it sucks. Why do you think there is so much discussion going on these days?

I was just too lazy to go quote it

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I hope people post more screenshots when they do something fun or cool in a game in replacement to long words posts

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

That wasn't a sentiment it was a post someone actually made

I was just too lazy to go quote it

idk that kind of comment would be valid and accepted for other forms of media

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

BERGfu posted:

I hope people post more screenshots when they do something fun or cool in a game in replacement to long words posts

I agree and think that this will lead to more content that can boost the site; people used to register here for that among other reasons: actual content.

I mean, we have a lot of other stuff going for us but that's one area that's always fun to mess with and games have made it easier than ever to do.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

I'll ask the same thing I did in the thread: why does this comparison with other media keep coming up?

Like, I don't get it. Of course people make those comments with other media. And of course it's accepted. But if someone made those comments about a pulp movie centered specifically around violence I'd have the same reaction I do when it's GTA: no poo poo. Like, do people watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then go wow, they only had one victim in a wheelchair?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Stux posted:

i want you to spontaneously combust

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I originally registered here because I read Boatmurdered and I have yet to see anything even approaching that level of comedy on here since, so :shrug:

More of that kind of content would be a very good thing.

Stux posted:

You're a really bad poster, you know?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Ken Levine is truly the Kubrick of videogames

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Also I'm remembering the scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the dude in the wheelchair gets the chainsaw run through him because he gets stuck while rolling away.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Stux posted:

If every single discussion about Casablanca (for example) was inevitably hijacked by some kid who just finished their first semester at Tumblr U explaining why Bogart is a cishet shitlord, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be considered acceptable by anyone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I'll ask the same thing I did in the thread: why does this comparison with other media keep coming up?

Like, I don't get it. Of course people make those comments with other media. And of course it's accepted. But if someone made those comments about a pulp movie centered specifically around violence I'd have the same reaction I do when it's GTA: no poo poo. Like, do people watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then go wow, they only had one victim in a wheelchair?

maybe the issue here is you're thinking that people saying that are trying to imply you shouldnt enjoy the game or it shouldnt exist when all they are doing is making an observation or analysis? like yes, actually people do analyse and look at pulp movies in that light because its interesting and important to critique stuff. that doesnt mean you cant enjoy it or it shouldnt exist though.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Widestancer posted:

Also I'm remembering the scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the dude in the wheelchair gets the chainsaw run through him because he gets stuck while rolling away.

I found it very cathartic

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I think people should keep making those comments so that we can keep laughing at them. It doesn't impede honest sane discussion of social issues in gaming; it's a form of self policing which I feel is the best kind of policing.

I'd much rather people be able to talk about why there isn't a female protagonist in a game and then if someone takes it to the extreme on either side have them mocked than have a moderator step in.

I've seen what's happening in DnD and I don't want that to happen here. I also remember GiP before Nostalgia4Infinity took over and that wasn't cool either (N4I has made it much bettet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, and I can see why someone would make that post? Obviously it's overdramatic and not strictly true (for one thing I don't think Japanese devs are targeting *white* dudes) but the fact is most western developers are white dudes making games for white dudes. Since you responded to that post with

Widestancer posted:

How does that demographic make your gaming experience worse at all

I'll try to answer. If development teams were more diverse, making games for more diverse audiences, then games would be more diverse. And I don't necessarily mean diverse in a 'look, there's a black dude' way, I mean that there would be a wider range of ideas coming in, which would lead to more variety in design, settings, themes, etc. Even if you couldn't give a poo poo about anything remotely related to story, it'd have an effect on the kind of games that are being made, mechanically.

For an example of what I mean, look at Hidden Object games. Those games are, from what I can tell, targeted at older women. Moms, basically. While I don't think they're really the pinnacle of game design, they represent a genre that came into existence solely because the devs were targeting a demographic besides dudes aged 18-36 - if they were targeting that demographic, after all, the games would probably be closer to 'escape the room' type games, with larger puzzles to solve and a more immediate conflict at hand. By making the decision a demographic that's both older, female, and assumed to have not played that many games, the game design changed from what would have been the norm.

this is the Gamesiest post ive ever made but basically, i dont know about that guy, but im not really saying 'kill all white dudes,' just 'it'd be cool if games had a wider variety of people making them, and were willing to go outside the box some in terms of design and story' peace

• Locked thread