Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm only annoyed by this because this is the first I've ever heard of this and he hasn't even reached out to the man he half-blinded before seeking a pardon.

I say don't pardon him. He should be happy with his millions of dollars. He shouldn't get special treatment regarding his actions as a minor just because he's famous, rich, and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

mookface posted:

Ok so you think that if someone is destructive and angry as a youth you're just totally hosed for your whole life and there's no saving you? You honestly believe that if someone is legitimately sorry for wrongs they have committed in the past that they should just be hosed for life? This doesn't just apply to celebrities you know. There are plenty of people who were criminals that have reformed and live straight lives. Many of them mentor troubled youth which is something they never had.

But he's not legitimately sorry. He hasn't tried to reach out to any of his victims. And he has more than enough time and money to do so. If he really wanted to provide an example to troubled youth who were once like him, that's what he should do.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Why do i care about some lovely actor being a poo poo head?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't support leniency for known gangster rappers like Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There are a great many things to outraged about. A celebrity trying expunge something from when they were a teenager so that they can give back to the community isn't one of them.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Tarkus posted:

There are a great many things to outraged about. A celebrity trying expunge something from when they were a teenager so that they can give back to the community isn't one of them.

He needs this to give back to the community? I thought he wanted it so he can open a restaurant?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fez3AHUzQ

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tarkus posted:

A celebrity trying expunge something from when they were a teenager so that they can give back to the community isn't one of them.

yeah its too bad theres no way that mark wahlberg can give back to the community other than getting a pardon.

also he's not trying to expunge something he's trying to get a pardon. its not the same thing

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Broenheim posted:

Why do i care about some lovely actor being a poo poo head?

Goons

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

All the cells that constituted Mark Wahlberg's 16yr old self no longer exist.

Therefore the Mark Wahlberg that did those awful things no longer exists.

This might be important.

I don't know.

Charles Manson will be delighted.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Ha ha remember when he said he could have stopped 9-11? :911:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-thinks-he-could-have-stopped-911.html

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

Real Talk he served his time (pathetically little as it was) so the question becomes is it useful for society to know who you were in the past. That's an unequivocal yes. It's great that he's a good person now, but that doesn't invalidate who he used to be.

Except that it's preventing him from doing good things right now. And it's actually stupid as hell that future good works can actually be hindered by past debts you've actually already paid back to society.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

HoboZero posted:

Now
It's about that time
To find a gook
And commit a violent crime

C'mon, c'mon
Steal it steal it
Steal that guy's wallet

*cue the black back up dancers*

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Clochette posted:

But he's not legitimately sorry.

says you.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Guancho posted:

says you.

If he's sorry why doesn't he make reparations to Thanh Lam or at least make an apology directed towards him? Instead he's making non-apologies like "I'm sorry for any harm I may have caused." May have caused? He blinded the guy, of course he harmed him.

If Wahlberg actually owned up to his actions I wouldn't have a problem with him.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Clochette posted:

If he's sorry why doesn't he make reparations to Thanh Lam or at least make an apology directed towards him? Instead he's making non-apologies like "I'm sorry for any harm I may have caused." May have caused? He blinded the guy, of course he harmed him.

If Wahlberg actually owned up to his actions I wouldn't have a problem with him.

I'm sure Mark Wahlberg wakes up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night about the fact that SomethingAwful.com forums user Clochette still hasn't forgiven him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hemophilia posted:

Except that it's preventing him from doing good things right now. And it's actually stupid as hell that future good works can actually be hindered by past debts you've actually already paid back to society.

i think its mainly preventing him from opening a restaurant. there is plenty of good works he is capable of doing without getting a pardon from the governor

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

hemophilia posted:

This is a good point but to play devil's advocate for a moment here can you imagine the hell there would be to pay if a guy who used to rob houses was hired to install burglar alarms or a guy with a bunch of DWIs was given a job driving gasoline trucks

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sure Mark Wahlberg wakes up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night about the fact that Thanh Lam and Hoa Trinh still haven't forgiven him.

Fixed that for you. And while we're at it, let's find out if it does keep him up at night!

Mark Wahlberg posted:

You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning.

Oh.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Clochette posted:

But he's not legitimately sorry. He hasn't tried to reach out to any of his victims. And he has more than enough time and money to do so. If he really wanted to provide an example to troubled youth who were once like him, that's what he should do.

how do you know tht he has not done so

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Melmac posted:

This is a good point but to play devil's advocate for a moment here can you imagine the hell there would be to pay if a guy who used to rob houses was hired to install burglar alarms

i would feel safer, because he knows where and how people try to break in, more so than the other burglar alarm men

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

how do you know tht he has not done so

He said so in an interview, thought it was in 2006

ABC interview posted:

And though the right thing to do would be to try to find the man and make amends, Wahlberg says, he admits he hasn't done so -- but says he's no longer burdened by guilt.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Clochette posted:

Mark Wahlberg Is Seeking a Pardon for His 1988 Assault Conviction

Fun fact: as a young man, Mark Wahlberg committed multiple hate crimes. He threw rocks at black schoolchildren and shouted racial slurs at them, and was actually charged with attempted murder for beating and permanently blinding a Vietnamese man in one eye. (Again, while shouting racial slurs.) He served 45 days in prison. Now he's asking to be pardoned for it because being an attempted murderer is keeping him from mentoring troubled youth or some poo poo.

If Wahlberg didn't have the extraordinary luck of being a celebrity, right now a guy named Slinky would be tattooing a swastika onto Marky-Mark as he served his third sentence for armed robbery in a correctional facility. poo poo, my uncle tried to kill a guy with a shovel once and he ended up being a homeless heroin addict.

Wahlberg didn't even apologize, he was just like "lol my bad about that thing with the hate crime, I'd apologize to that fine Vietnamese fellow but I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm too busy being a movie star. It's cool though, I forgive myself and I go to church like a million times a year"

what the fuuuuck

I don't remember this episode of Entourage

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

hemophilia posted:

I mean he can't become a cop, (lol gotta commit all your crimes after you're on the other side of the blue line) but a conviction isn't going to stop him from opening a charity or other group. Maybe due to some crazy state law cops couldn't coordinate directly with him, but they sure could with someone who worked for his charity. Nah, this is about being above the law once you're famous enough. I dig that he is doing good works now, but he still committed a crime and people should still have access to that information. As an example, if you were a charity devoted to helping at risk Asian teens maybe you'd want to take a close look at the dude before you partnered up with his charity.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Clochette posted:

Billy Cosby hasn't raped anyone for a few years either

He raped all of America's happy childhood memories.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

I mean he can't become a cop, (lol gotta commit all your crimes after you're on the other side of the blue line) but a conviction isn't going to stop him from opening a charity or other group. Maybe due to some crazy state law cops couldn't coordinate directly with him, but they sure could with someone who worked for his charity. Nah, this is about being above the law once you're famous enough. I dig that he is doing good works now, but he still committed a crime and people should still have access to that information. As an example, if you were a charity devoted to helping at risk Asian teens maybe you'd want to take a close look at the dude before you partnered up with his charity.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think the law should be a tool to mark and damage people who break it, except maybe pedophiles and murderers and even then if rehabilitation is possible that's an avenue I'd like to explore. The only time criminals should be marked as dangerous and punished from here to the end is pretty much all kinds of sex offender and people who have taken lives, and not just body parts, of others.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

hemophilia posted:

except maybe pedophiles and murderers

He made a good faith effort to kill the person he mutilated. Trans panic saved him from a fair and deserved prison stay.

All this is neither here nor there. He could've showed genuine remorse and made reparations anytime, or he could've nutted up and fought the trans champion in 1 on 1 combat. This should have all been water under the bridge by now.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Earwicker posted:

i think its mainly preventing him from opening a restaurant. there is plenty of good works he is capable of doing without getting a pardon from the governor

This. The stuff on the first page about him wanting the pardon to work with kids is BS, felons work with kids all the time. He's asking for it to get a liquor license for his burger joints to make more money.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

SteveVizsla posted:

This. The stuff on the first page about him wanting the pardon to work with kids is BS, felons work with kids all the time. He's asking for it to get a liquor license for his burger joints to make more money.

Regardless of his "true" motivations (whatever they are), is it really that hard for him to work around his criminal record for a restaurant he owns to get it's liquor licence? I assume he won't be serving the drinks himself, and I'd imagine there's some way for them to structure the ownership so that he wouldn't have to put his own name on the state liquor licence application.

I'm now fully prepared for one of you spergy goons to link the relevant pieces of the MA State liquor licencing board applications process and prove me wrong.

It's probably just as likely he wants the conviction pardoned so that the insurance bond on his films is slightly lower.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not going to research any MA state whatever but I do remember from when I worked in the alcohol business that they are by far one of the strictest states about that kind of poo poo, so its not really that surprising

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i support marky mark and the funky bunch in their struggle against north vietnam and the viet cong

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

catch22 posted:

He said so in an interview, thought it was in 2006

it is good that we are using 8 year old facts as basis for outrage, in my opinion.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i bet he'd be great in the american history x remake

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Clochette posted:

Now he's asking to be pardoned for it because being an attempted murderer is keeping him from mentoring troubled youth or some poo poo.
What is he mentoring troubled youth in, how to be racist hate crime committers?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Parts Kit posted:

What is he mentoring troubled youth in, how to be racist hate crime committers?
Probably in how to escape their environment and how to control anger. Two things Mark Wahlberg has successfully done. Or you know, just doing poo poo with them or whatever. I don't know what mentors do.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khorne posted:

Probably in how to escape their environment and how to control anger. Two things Mark Wahlberg has successfully done.

Step 1. Have a talented and attractive brother who is part of a famous boy band

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

have you guys considered that mark wahlberg has a third nipple and thats why he hulked out and crippled an asian man

i'd be angry too if I was a mutant with a weird accent

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Theres a huge vietnamese population in dorchester (refugee families from the war), it's not like he was the lone asian guy on the street or something. Theres parts of dorchester that are like 80% viet, and in the mid 80's is around the time they all finished coming over. Just saying

Still racially motivated maybe, in kind of an "us vs them" way, but probably not the "pick on the weird ethnic outcast" way.

Like in prison when blacks and whites fight, its not like everyone cries racism and unfairness, thats just where the lines were drawn. Same with gangs on the streets.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Melmac posted:

This is a good point but to play devil's advocate for a moment here can you imagine the hell there would be to pay if a guy who used to rob houses was hired to install burglar alarms or a guy with a bunch of DWIs was given a job driving gasoline trucks

lmao because people that have committed crimes and turned their lives around have never been used to help trouble youth, it's apples and oranges MATE

• Locked thread