Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Sometimes with the universe I wonder what is really going on out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PumOis7Ssak

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

MVP posted:

this poo poo is crazy

Tell me about it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

parthenocarpy posted:

Sometimes with the universe I wonder what is really going on out there

tons of poo poo

az
Dec 2, 2005

Ivor Biggun posted:

Any answer to the Fermi Paradox is terrifying.

you gotta be easily terrified

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

MisterMachine posted:

Tell me about it.

After this thread I seriously want a handheld telescope

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MVP posted:

After this thread I seriously want a handheld telescope

get binoculars instead

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Poetic Justice posted:

get binoculars instead

Do they work better than telescopes?

I want something to zoom in on the UFOs and possibly be capable of night vision

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma posted:

an increase in the number of flying objects causes a rise in the number of unidentified flying objects.

conclusion: aliens

Prepare for the most likely mind blowing truth: drones.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MVP posted:

Do they work better than telescopes?

I want something to zoom in on the UFOs and possibly be capable of night vision

They do because they have lower magnification. Telescopes are really only good for looking at a relatively non moving object. Also, if you want to work on your alien contact performance, try to walk up to a rabbit or deer. It's all the same poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
false flag etcetera

jews ad nauseum

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

These mysterious lights have been observed ALL OVER the world for years now, there's dozens and dozens of photos online.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE THE EVIDENCE IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!

They're helicopters photographed on long exposure.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Robo Reagan posted:

It'd be a relief if some aliens cruised by every century or so because the fermi paradox is a bit terrifying when you think about it

The Fermi paradox doesn't really exist. In billions of years evolution has only pooped out one species like ours. So in the sample we have, intelligent life is a crazy rare event and the jury is still out as to whether intelligence is a dead end for the long term viability of a species. It's not unreasonable to bet that life in the universe is common. It's also not unreasonable to bet that intelligent life is so rare that any two species existing at the same time and be close enough proximity to ever meet each other very possibly isn't going to happen even once in the lifespan of our universe.

Fermi was a dummy. If you're gonna make wild assumptions by plugging in made up numbers, why not at least apply what little facts we actually do know?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I agree somewhat but I think you underestimate how big the universe is.

Like, imagine earth then double it in size and space is almost that big

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Ivor Biggun posted:

Any answer to the Fermi Paradox is terrifying.
Well how about "We're the first ones around" ?

Just think of all the cool poo poo we get to do to mess with the cave aliens!

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Frankenstyle posted:

Fermi was a dummy. If you're gonna make wild assumptions by plugging in made up numbers, why not at least apply what little facts we actually do know?

I gotta agree with this, although fermi's paradox was just some poo poo he came up with at lunch while bs'ing with his colleagues. dude just multiplied together a bunch of probabilities that he pulled out of his rear end. anthropic principle destroys our ability to estimate both the probability of (intelligent) life and the probability of extinction-level catastrophe.

e - anyways one of the most probable answers to the 'paradox' is that we are actually one of the first species of intelligent life because fewer gamma ray bursts are scouring the universe.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Yeah, I can forgive Fermi since it was just pillow talk. The one that chaps my rear end is the Drake equation. He actually put some "thought" into that silly bullshit, and then totally ignored time (and again what evidence we actually have) which is one of the most relevant factors. That guy was a dick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What if humans are the invading race of the galaxy and we don't know it yet

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

I bet we turn out to be the galactic "That Guy..." who never gets invited to parties.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's only so much observable universe because we live inside a giant simulation and like the Truman show the world only has to make sense up to the seems of human observability. That's why none of the other planets are inhabited, that's why there's no evidence of past ET's here or anywhere else in the solar system.

Edit: Or after a certain point all intelligence becomes a singularity machine god, they're hanging around blackholes and the oldest pockets of the universe bending the fabrics of space time and would view us as something akin to ants.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's been a whole bunch of movies made about ordinary guys getting swept up in government coverups and finally finding undeniable proof of alien life like 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', 'Communion', 'Contact', 'Fire In The Sky', 'Hanger 18', 'Signs', etc etc etc.. If they were to make an accurate modern version of those films it'd just be 90 minutes of some guy sitting in his room watching youtube videos and posting on conspiracy forums.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
tupac im coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy