Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Not everything is meant to last in this harsh world.

Newegg4lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Howard Beale posted:

would have a lot more sympathy for the bankruptcy if they hadn't insisted on being known as The Shack

You don't need any sympathy, it's just a business. They come and go.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Howard Beale posted:

would have a lot more sympathy for the bankruptcy if they hadn't insisted on being known as The Shack

I hated the new name then, and I hate it now. The rebranding efforts were loving awful. I do feel bad about my old co-worker, though, the ex-military senior citizen. He's STILL working there and the dude's gonna be out of a job soon :smith:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
http://news.yahoo.com/sprint-over-half-radioshack-stores-bloomberg-190822715--finance.html

TLDR: they're dead, but Sprint will pick up the corpse and do a Weekend-at-Bernie's thing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

May be worth going to pick at the corpse if they try to clear out remaining inventory on the cheap.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
The radio shack in the Upper Valley Mall in Springfield, Ohio has been there since 1978. It'll be weird to walk by it and not see it anymore.
Well, to be fair it'll be weird to be in Springfield again, since I don't live there anymore. But still, Radio Shack.
First Mounty Oum and now Radio shack.

Bleh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gynovore posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/sprint-over-half-radioshack-stores-bloomberg-190822715--finance.html

TLDR: they're dead, but Sprint will pick up the corpse and do a Weekend-at-Bernie's thing.

Weirdly, the Radio Shack location in the picture on that article is the one that inspired me to post this thread :wtf:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

Since it costs money to close a store, the company’s creditors currently only allow it to close 200 stores per year. RadioShack has around 4,300 stores right now.

i am dumb about these kinds of things, but does this mean that that no matter how little business they do, there will be radioshacks around for another 2 decades?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the 4300 is just the number of stores they own themselves, there's also another 1000 or so franchise stores

plus the brand name is worth something (lol) so sprint or whoever will still slap it on something down the road like store kiosks

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 3, 2015

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

comes along bort posted:

the 4300 is just the number of stores they own themselves, there's also another 1000 or so franchise stores

i know that, but those ones aren't going to outlast the corporate stores so i figured it was a moot point

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
The Yospos RadioShack thread is way better than this one. Click through to be enlightened: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694765

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i bet we'll see a resurgence of the "neighborhood video store" in hipster neighborhoods. the capacitor shop? probs not, as hipsters are consumers not makers.

There's a video store up the way from me, surrounded by sidewalk trees covered in knit cozies, run by a man with a permanently worn scarf. It's between a vegan café and a vegan ice cream shop.

(... I pass it on my way to the vegan ice cream.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
RadioShack delisted from NYSE.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Amazon might buy RadioShack?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-03/amazon-said-to-mull-buying-radioshack-stores-in-retail-expansion

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
:siren: :siren: :siren: HOLY poo poo :siren: :siren: :siren:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901028/radioshack-puts-customers-personal-data-up-for-sale-in-bankruptcy-auction.html

tl;dr: Remember when you bought those batteries back in '03? They're selling your address and phone#!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

tl;dr: Remember when you bought those batteries back in '03? They're selling your address and phone#!

that's why I don't give stores my info lol. I give you :10bux: you give me my purchase, transaction over. if it's absolutely required I just won't buy the thing then.

Anyway, I read that article linked in the OP and wow that sounds like an utter poo poo place to work but the whole time I'm thinking 'bro you worked there for 43 months and you never quit that's kind of on you at that point.' I would rather commit crimes than be treated like that holy poo poo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread