Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't get it. It's like the worst store on the planet and I've never been in one where I wasn't the only customer in the place. I also never end up buying anything because everything costs 5 times what it does on Amazon. They are everywhere though. Is it some sort of mafia front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Drug front for the CIA.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I hear they sell a lot of cell phone plans. The last time I was in a Radio Shack was to buy some parts to make something to hook up my Dreamcast modem up to a PC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
good news, they aren't doing well and hemorrhaging money. probably gunna go bankrupt and disapear/get bought out in another 5 years, if that.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Selling USB and HDMI cables at 10x markup usually.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

good news, they aren't doing well and hemorrhaging money. probably gunna go bankrupt and disapear/get bought out in another 5 years, if that.

why was the price lower in 1980 when people actually shopped at radio shack than in 2010 when everybody in America knew the store was as good as dead?

i don't care enough to fully understand stocks and poo poo so this might be a stupid question

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
here's a Good Article on the 'Shack dying

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I would like a 1/8inch out to stereo red and white amazon/monoprice. Spends 10 dollars for cable + shipping.

Drives to radioshack gets 1/8inch out to stereo red and white for 4 dollars plus stops by subway and picks up a 6 inch sub for 5 dollars. You tell me, op.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Because you touch yourself at night op.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Carpet posted:

Wow. This is really loving interesting! Thanks mate.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

spud posted:

Wow. This is really loving interesting! Thanks mate.

yeah that was actually a really pro read.

thank loving god. it really can't die fast enough and has always been a lovely store

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

I would like a 1/8inch out to stereo red and white amazon/monoprice. Spends 10 dollars for cable + shipping.

Drives to radioshack gets 1/8inch out to stereo red and white for 4 dollars plus stops by subway and picks up a 6 inch sub for 5 dollars. You tell me, op.

60 cents plus 2 bucks shipping on monoprice and you don't even have to be reminded that subway exists, let alone eat there

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

60 cents plus 2 bucks shipping on monoprice and you don't even have to be reminded that subway exists, let alone eat there

Exactly. The UK equivalent to Radioshack is Maplin, and I'm amazed that a cable I can get from Amazon or w/e will be like £2 Inc shipping but £20 at Maplin. I guess they rely on the "need it now people" and conning clueless people that walk in off the street.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Carpet posted:

Not Always Right Dot Com

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

the last time i ordered something form monoprice my credit card number got stolen. That was 8 years ago NEVER FORGET

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not Always Right Dot Com

Which store do you manage?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where else are you going to go for a poorly made R/C car and a $60 copy of Leisure Suit Larry 5?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Carpet posted:

That was sperg'sville written by a bitter ex-employee

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Pretty sure the one in Berkley just got looted.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
shacks are magical entities. they'll survive no matter what the demand of overpriced radios, televisions, or fries is.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
old people are dumb as poo poo and sometimes buy stuff from radio shack. that is my theory

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Will make me sad if they shut down. They actually are pretty good if you work in a trade where you need to go there for a last minute part for something. They'll surprise you with what they have.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Poetic Justice posted:

Jesus. We need to save Radio Shack, or we're gonna loose Subway too.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

NESguerilla posted:

I really don't get it. It's like the worst store on the planet and I've never been in one where I wasn't the only customer in the place. I also never end up buying anything because everything costs 5 times what it does on Amazon. They are everywhere though. Is it some sort of mafia front?

uhhh what is coming out of your AV's mouth

i've always wanted to ask

is it semen? it's semen.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
What an astute observation, op.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Poetic Justice posted:

the last time i ordered something form monoprice my credit card number got stolen. That was 8 years ago NEVER FORGET
i'm not sure why goons cream they pants over monoprice. i'd say 50% of the cables I've bought from them have been DOA on arrival or broken within a week. Specifically, 1/4" audio patch cables, HDMI cables, and XLR/Mic cables.

to monoprice, I say "gently caress-ah-you" and now only buy american.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
you're not buying american, you're just buying different chinese crap and paying more for it.

i've only ordered a dozen or so cables from them over the past few years, but all still work fine. though i avoid the absolute cheapest ones when i have the chance because the next level up is usually only a few cents more

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
does radio shack still sell discrete electronic components or have they just finally given up?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Carpet posted:

equal parts comedy and tragedy. overall, a good read.

Dec 26, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

does radio shack still sell discrete electronic components or have they just finally given up?

they do, and tbh theyre pretty great if you need a specific resistor right now or something

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Used to be a good place to get 1990's hand held knockoff brand wannabe game-boys and the Christmas sale on remote control cars made it the place to be as a kid. As an adult now, I only go to radio shack when I need batteries of odd sorts, or when i need a piece to something that broke so i can Jerry rig some appliance back to life.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Every time you go near one it steals a bit of your cum to feeds the Great Yeyo, owner of the Radio Shack chain. Thats all it needs to keep going.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Can't find a closer place that sells resistors & poo poo. Besides my computer on amazon.com or something.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

01011001 posted:

they do, and tbh theyre pretty great if you need a specific resistor right now or something

Someone told me they stopped doing this, so I'm glad to hear that guy was wrong.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i'm not sure why goons cream they pants over monoprice. i'd say 50% of the cables I've bought from them have been DOA on arrival or broken within a week. Specifically, 1/4" audio patch cables, HDMI cables, and XLR/Mic cables.

to monoprice, I say "gently caress-ah-you" and now only buy american.

And to be the other guy. I own something like 15 HDMI cables from monoprice, and all of them still work just like they did the day I got them and I've never had a DOA product from that company in general.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They basically occupy locations that make them the closest source of headphones, cell phone chargers, USB drives, and assorted cables when you need one of those things RIGHT NOW.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I was a store manager of a radioshack that was built in a town that did not have a need for a radioshack. When I took over the store was in the red by quite a bit.

Then cellphones (around the time of the nokia 5100 series coming out) started being sold left and right. I turned the store from red to black in the span of one year and I was paid a bonus that far exceeded my yearly pay. Almost 4 times my normal pay.

I made a lot of money and when I figured out why I quit.

I knew I would never make that much money again.

They recently tore down that store (which was brand new when I took it over) and built a CVS.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Radio shack is still in business for the same reason k mart is: inertia, old people money, and use as a tax shelter/real estate scheme

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

01011001 posted:

is this on like a store-to-store basis?

because by radioshack has no esoteric electronic components anymore

only cellphones and very common accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

magic jack

• Locked thread