Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Jem was pretty good, hopefully they'll be able to keep it up. Campbell's characters look great, but the backgrounds can be pretty empty--sometimes even a wide shot will just show a couple of characters and nothing else. I hope they'll do something interesting with the dual identity, which never made much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Jem was pretty good, hopefully they'll be able to keep it up. Campbell's characters look great, but the backgrounds can be pretty empty--sometimes even a wide shot will just show a couple of characters and nothing else. I hope they'll do something interesting with the dual identity, which never made much sense.

They've already done more than the show. Jerrica uses Jem to hide so she can sing without her stage fright getting the best of her, and she can't be open about it because that destroys the reason it works for her. If Jem is her, then it's no better than standing up there with no hologram.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Stormer seems really sweet, why the hell is she in The Misfits and not in/BFFs with the Holograms?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also wheres Tupac

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I posted about it in this thread a few months back, so I suppose I should check in again now that Swords of Sorrow has actually started. There's a #1 and a one-shot about the villains so far, and the latter is probably the stronger of the two, mostly because the main book's first issue has the problem of all first issues, plus the usual early days of a crossover event problem. Basically pages of exposition AND needing to introduce a huge cast to an audience that may not be familiar with any of them, let alone all.

Mairghread Scott has an easier task in just having basically 3 'bad girls' to introduce, and seems to have taken the fact that she either doesn't know much about the villain for the event itself, or that Simone wanted to save details for later reveals as a plus, instead of a detriment. When your Big Bad is a cypher, you can spend longer on the cronies. The whole 'pulp feminism' feel is added to with the slight exploitation-y camp of the art.

The main book is, like I said, an event book's intro, through and through. Ironically, Simone may have missed a trick in trying to give the 'main' heroines their own individual focus moments, as the standout scene for me was the fight/chase between Jennifer Blood and Kato (Kato being the one woman with a male counterpart who's given a logical reason for not appearing - The Hornet is incapacitated with injuries at the time of the story. Compare John Carter who... Dejah Thoris just kinda doesn't want to tell about what's happening?), which is instantly compelling and uses the contrast to introduce both characters even if you don't know who they are: Kato's an urban superhero, and Blood's a wiseass lady Punisher. By comparison, Red Sonja dying of thirst in the desert and Dejah Thoris listening to pleas from her subjects is kind of blah, because we don't get any context, and there's not much action to justify how little information about the characters we're given.

Look, I'm not going to lie, the gals in this book are not exactly wearing outfits from the new wave of comic book costume design for women, but the artists on both issues embrace that aspect without letting it slide into being overtly sleazy (barring the bad choice of J Scott Campbell as the cover artist for your female creator focused event series). It's acknowledging the fun and even the sexy side of this part of comics and literature while trying to ditch the baggage of the male gaze (mostly). It's not going to be for everyone, but I'm already more invested in this than Convergence/Divergence... or Secret Wars*.

*I'm sure Secret Wars will get better, and that scene with the Punisher was great, but either that should've been the FCBD issue, or it should have been #2, because good god is it not helpful to someone jumping in because of the hype without having the time to go back and read years of Fantastic Four and Avengers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Having just reread it for the first time in years, The Prisoner: Shattered Visage was a really great tie-in comic that both managed to predate the trend of tie-ins and surpass pretty much all of them in terms of quality. Plus it was such a weird choice to make a comic sequel to.

Actually on the topic of weird choices, has anyone read Marvel's 2001: A Space Odyssey comics?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I am morally obligated to post a link to an io9 blog post about ROM: Spaceknight. Yeah, it's a gawker media site, and the article is a bare bones intro for someone who's never heard of the character, aaaand it gets some of the details wrong, but still, I have to give up some love for it.

http://io9.com/rom-spaceknight-might-be-the-best-science-fiction-comi-1708849468

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is getting a new series from Boom.

I dig those promo art pieces.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, Mairghread Scott, she's good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm currently reading through every single Terminator comic book, which is a lot and probably spans more publishers than any other franchise. One thing I've realized is how Frank Miller's RoboCop vs. Terminator is more brilliant as time goes on due to the ending.

There are two constants in Terminator comics: 1) an excessive amount of obscured nudity* and 2) false endings. Seriously, nine out of ten of these comics appear to end the same way. "The war is over/the future is prevented... OR IS IT?!"

Frank Miller decided to do, "The war is over/the future is prevented... OR IS IT?! ...actually, yeah," and it gets better with every epilogue stinger that comes after.

*The most gratuitous of which is the Terminator 3 comic that adapts the story from the T-X's point of view. Before sending her back in time, SkyNet tests her by having her fight a T-800 and T-1000 at the same time in a big, naked brawl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"The war is over/the future is prevented... OR IS IT?!"

That's how pretty much all the movies/TV series end, though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I never saw the TV show, but only the first and (from what I understand) new movie really do that. T2 ends with a vague epilogue and the other two are pretty blatant that there's a lot of robots that need killing.

This would be more like if T2 ended with someone stumbling upon a big pile of Cyberdine T-800 blueprints that Dyson didn't get around to destroying.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

"The war is over/the future is prevented... OR IS IT?!"
You could literally put those words onscreen to match the action at the end of T:Gynysys. It was bad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Terminator comics, Comixology has a sale right now on most of the Dark Horse titles. This includes the omnibus books at $5 each, which I definitely recommend for that price. Very few misses, all in all and it includes RoboCop vs. Terminator.

Unfortunately, it doesn't include Enemy of My Enemy, which has one of the most badass of concepts. It's about a Terminator who goes back in time to kill this scientist before she can one day invent something that can be used against SkyNet. Meanwhile, there's a bounty hunter who needs that scientist alive and fights the Terminator to a standstill twice (while not fully understanding what she's up against). A third party steals the scientist away, so the bounty hunter and Terminator come to an agreement: they will work together to liberate that scientist. Once they succeed, then they will turn their attentions towards each other and only one will walk away alive.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Is this the thread for Zim? Because Zim #1 launched and it's loving awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's my article on the history of Terminator comics.

Come for the panel of a Terminator throwing a burning stuffed bear at someone. Stay for the bizarre Cyborg Superman/T-X team-up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
AV Club interview with Jhonen Vasquez about the new Zim comic

Haven't read this yet, and I haven't had a chance to read the issue I picked up yesterday, but I'm hoping for the best here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gallant: Dark Horse are doing more Avatar comics, this time from the show's creators instead of Gene Yang.

Goofus: Red 5 are doing a Keyser Soze comic, because apparently they don't understand why The Usual Suspects works?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Street Fighter X GI Joe is happening next year. Thankfully IDW is taking care of it, considering UDON's had some serious problems getting poo poo released for the past... ever.

Sagat's gonna kick the poo poo out of Nemesis Enforcer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How long before Ryu and Snake Eyes throw down to find out who the truly strongest warrior is?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

How long before Ryu and Snake Eyes throw down to find out who the truly strongest warrior is?

Whenever Ryu and Snake Eyes are in the same room.

That's why I love Ryu. He's the antithesis of a superhero. Superheroes want to get into adventures where they destroy bad guys but get sidetracked into fighting their friends. Ryu just wants to fight his friends and gets sidetracked into adventures where he destroys bad guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Street Fighter X GI Joe is happening next year. Thankfully IDW is taking care of it, considering UDON's had some serious problems getting poo poo released for the past... ever.

I hope we get more Street Fighter Joe figures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Any man who strong enough to beat the crap out of Sagat is a man I want found.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any man who strong enough to beat the crap out of Sagat is a man I want found.

The only guy in Street Fighter canon who's been able to defeat Sagat legitimately is Adon and he still ended up in the hospital for a month or two despite winning. Then after Sagat regained his honor and improved his state of mind, they had a rematch and Sagat destroyed him.

So yeah, don't gently caress with Sagat.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
IDW is bringing back Micronauts and ROM, which baffles me given how much of what people liked about those is owned by Marvel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Superheroes want to get into adventures where they destroy bad guys but get sidetracked into fighting their friends. Ryu just wants to fight his friends and gets sidetracked into adventures where he destroys bad guys.

You'd like DBZ.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nah. Ryu's fights don't take 20 episodes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The manga, then. Way faster.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FoneBone posted:

IDW is bringing back Micronauts and ROM, which baffles me given how much of what people liked about those is owned by Marvel.

I'm... hesitant.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

FoneBone posted:

The Licensed Comic Book Thread: They Can All Be Rom: Spaceknight!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chris Ryall: "And then, we open on Galador-"
IDW Employee: "Um, we can't use Galador"
CR: "All right, then we open on ROM chasing a Dire Wraith-"
IDW: "Ahem..." *makes throat slit motion*
CR: "OK, ROM and Starshin-"
IDW: "Nope"

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Dynamite are reprinting Atari Force!

I may be the only person on the planet who cares but I'm very happy about this

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

FoneBone posted:

Which is hilarious since Chris Ryall's new Comic ONYX is just straight up ROM.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
ROM has got a big enough cult following and interested new readers (like myself - I've heard nothing but good things about ROM) that reprinted trades would sell. Marvel and IDW split the money, everyone's happy. Though knowing the world of business, it's probably not that simple.

I never understood why Marvel just didn't buy back ROM, especially now they have Disney money. I doubt Parker Brothers were really bothered about the character, and they could probably work out a deal for Marvel to get the rights?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ROM's potential worth to Disney is probably nowhere near the value Hasbro probably placed on him. Hasbro likely wants to sell the movie rights, and try to pass him off as a Transformers meets Star Wars character.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

ROM's potential worth to Disney is probably nowhere near the value Hasbro probably placed on him. Hasbro likely wants to sell the movie rights, and try to pass him off as a Transformers meets Star Wars character.

But he's a Robocop meets Alien character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldMemes posted:

ROM has got a big enough cult following and interested new readers (like myself - I've heard nothing but good things about ROM) that reprinted trades would sell. Marvel and IDW split the money, everyone's happy. Though knowing the world of business, it's probably not that simple.

I never understood why Marvel just didn't buy back ROM, especially now they have Disney money. I doubt Parker Brothers were really bothered about the character, and they could probably work out a deal for Marvel to get the rights?

Supposedly its always been Hasbro holding anything ROM related back. Even though they have absolutely nothing to do with the character really.

Anyway, ROM doesn't have to be connected to the Marvel universe to be good. The best parts of his story was when he was in his own little corner.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A.o.D. posted:

But he's a Robocop meets Alien character.

Sure, but what dollars are the makers of Transformers going to chase?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Supposedly its always been Hasbro holding anything ROM related back. Even though they have absolutely nothing to do with the character really.

Anyway, ROM doesn't have to be connected to the Marvel universe to be good. The best parts of his story was when he was in his own little corner.

Yes. His own little corner of the Marvel U. That's kinda the problem. ALL of the backstory stuff that isn't actually ROM himself, is all Marvel, because Parker Bros didn't have it invented, Bill Mantlo did, for Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I asked specifically about the background universe stuff at the IDW panel - the response was that they can use "just enough" of it to make it work, and that they've thought a lot, "for years" about how to build that universe with what they have. Which is an evasive and lawyerly answer, but encouraging.

• Locked thread