Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gaz-L posted:

Yes. His own little corner of the Marvel U. That's kinda the problem. ALL of the backstory stuff that isn't actually ROM himself, is all Marvel, because Parker Bros didn't have it invented, Bill Mantlo did, for Marvel.

Without Marvel there is no Galador, no Firefall, no Starshine, no Terminator (before Arnold was even a thing), no Clairton West Virginia, no Brandy Clark, no Steve Jackson (not that one), no Brock Jones, no Dire Wraiths, and no Hybrid. It's ROM without any of the things that made that book what it was, other than the titular character. Even then, it's just the armor. I don't know if the license even includes the guy that was inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Without Marvel there is no Galador, no Firefall, no Starshine, no Terminator (before Arnold was even a thing), no Clairton West Virginia, no Brandy Clark, no Steve Jackson (not that one), no Brock Jones, no Dire Wraiths, and no Hybrid. It's ROM without any of the things that made that book what it was, other than the titular character. Even then, it's just the armor. I don't know if the license even includes the guy that was inside it.

It doesn't. He showed up to Rick Jones' wedding.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It doesn't. He showed up to Rick Jones' wedding.

And in one of the Earth X sequels.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Didn't all the space knights get killed by the builders back in Infinity?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Howards Bellend posted:

Their planet got blown up, but they survived to fight another day I believe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Howards Bellend posted:

Pretty sure they've been killed off multiple times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Including in the ROM book itself, I believe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that's right. The end of ROM has literally everyone on Galador dead except for now human ROM and Brandy Clark.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
what's the chance of IDW reprinting the original ROM series? Slim? It's slim, right? I've never read it and I'm super interested in reading it because I hear nothing but universal praise for it.

I know they've been reprinting Marvel-branded Transformers comics, but I imagine those don't feature Marvel properties.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghost Boner posted:

what's the chance of IDW reprinting the original ROM series? Slim? It's slim, right? I've never read it and I'm super interested in reading it because I hear nothing but universal praise for it.

I know they've been reprinting Marvel-branded Transformers comics, but I imagine those don't feature Marvel properties.

The Transformers comics DID, but IDW can't reprint those issues, so instead you get summaries, I believe.

ROM's harder because it's so intrinsically tied to the MU. The various alien races, Galactus, the Avengers, the X-Men, Rick Jones are all pretty major players. Any reprint project would need Marvel's direct involvement, if not being published by them explicitly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Boner posted:

There are X-Men, Hulks, and almost everyone else at one point or another over the 60 issues. IDW ain't reprinting poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghost Boner posted:

Marvel owns pretty much everything related to ROM other than ROM himself. The chances are about as close to zero as is possible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing IDW/Ryall are hoping they can just change a couple of colour schemes and swap some vowels around and Marvel/Disney won't care enough to sue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reminder that Stokoe's Godzilla In Hell comes out tomorrow, y'all!

It'll probably be blocked from NZ Comixology like Half Century War was :(

e:\/ I think it's revolving teams. He's definitely doing the first issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh is that Stokoe again?

*Add to buy list*

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's right. The end of ROM has literally everyone on Galador dead except for now human ROM and Brandy Clark.

That's not quite right. A small number of the 1st gen spaceknights take off to guard Galador from space.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

Here's my article on the history of Terminator comics.

Come for the panel of a Terminator throwing a burning stuffed bear at someone. Stay for the bizarre Cyborg Superman/T-X team-up.

I was not expecting this article to have a happy ending. :unsmith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here are the creative teams for Rom and Micronauts from IDW

Rom - writers Chris Ryall (shocked!) and Christos Gage, artists David Messina and Paolo Villanelli
Micronauts - writer Cullen Bunn, artist David Baldeon

I wonder what this means for Onyx and String Divers which are IDW's not so sublte Rom and Micronauts ripoffs that Ryall is writing now. I've not checked out either but I've heard they're actually pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there another Micronauts revival years ago? I remember reading some comic about them and thinking about how it made no loving sense.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I read every single Nightmare on Elm Street comic, from Marvel to Innovation to Avatar Press to Windstorm. Check out my write-up, BITCH!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this where we finally see you crack?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Is this where we finally see you crack?

I'm okay. It's the eventual Army of Darkness comics article that has me afraid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gavok posted:

I read every single Nightmare on Elm Street comic, from Marvel to Innovation to Avatar Press to Windstorm. Check out my write-up, BITCH!

Aw yeah, your write-ups are pretty great. Definitely something to look forward to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read that there's one where Freddy dresses up as a pimp and kills a guy by tricking him into wearing bling that strangles him; which one is that from?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gavok posted:

In a similar vein, I just read this write up about the Halloween comics and how they do more interesting things with the concept than the movie sequels.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I read that too, and I've read a couple of them. They're genuinely unsettling, although the Halloween franchise in general never quite descended into self-parody to the extent of the other major franchises, Busta Rhymes notwithstanding.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wanderer posted:

I read that too, and I've read a couple of them. They're genuinely unsettling, although the Halloween franchise in general never quite descended into self-parody to the extent of the other major franchises, Busta Rhymes notwithstanding.

Going back and watching Halloween Resurrection after knowing the trajectory of Katee Sackhoff's career makes it unintentionally even funnier, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I'm okay. It's the eventual Army of Darkness comics article that has me afraid.

Most of those aren't as painful as you'd expect.

Most....

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Most of those aren't as painful as you'd expect.

Most....
Whichever one was pretty much a direct sequel to AoD (Ashes 2 Ashes? Agh, it's been too long...) was, as I was reading it, a complete delight. It invovled Sheila and some more time-fuckery and it was surprisingly fun. It's probably terrible, but :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of them are genuinely fun and actually good, yeah. Some are just kinda dumb fun, others are just completely forgettable, and a few are complete dog doo doo.

By far the biggest waste of time among those I read was the one that adapted the original Evil Dead, I guess under the fair assumption that most people are only familiar with 2 and 3. It tried to retroactively apply Ash's douchey personality from the sequels to his character in the first movie, who was simply a weenie who got pushed too far by crazy events. It didn't work at all, and it had none of the charm that the original film has.

Speaking of Evil Dead 1 Ash, I appreciated the AoD comic storyline where Ash wished himself a better world where he'd never been involved with deadites. It reverted his personality from Duke Nukem to happy spineless dork, since he hadn't been FORGED IN HELLFIRE yet. Sheila was now his modern day girlfriend and remembered everything, and was dismayed at how much of a boring loser Ash was, despite being happy for him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

In a similar vein, I just read this write up about the Halloween comics and how they do more interesting things with the concept than the movie sequels.

To be fair, it doesn't take much to be better than the Halloween sequels.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TwoPair posted:

To be fair, it doesn't take much to be better than the Halloween sequels.

I was watching the Cinema Snob's videos about the fourth and fifth films, and he mentioned in passing the sheer amount of behind-the-scenes, bureaucratic nonsense that surrounded them. It's sort of interesting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

edit; I am shamed.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wrong thread nerd.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was just looking around for Onyx talk on the forum and discovered that ROM is getting a new comic book series?

I mean I'd rather Marvel have gotten the rights back but holy poo poo yes!

...Please don't suck Rom!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Micronauts - writer Cullen Bunn

gently caress YOU

FUCKIN

WHY

WHY DO YOU NOT WANT ME TO READ YOUR COMIC IDW I THINK IM ONE OF THE EIGHT PEOPLE WHO REMEMBER MICRONAUTS THAT AREN'T CULLEN BUNN OR DAN ABNETT WHY WOULD YOU GIVE IT TO NOTED BAD COMICS WRITER CULLEN BUNN

gently caress YOU IDW

i would punch a baby to read dan abnett's micronauts but NO you give it to the guy who writes bad deadpool minis and manages to make "magic six shooters in the old west that can summon the apocalypse" boring, you fucks

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Abnett has been pretty terrible lately, though Hercules #1 was promising. Bunn on the other hand has written a lot of good stuff in the last few years. I'd be much more likely to read a title with Bunn on the cover than Abnett right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Bunn on the other hand has written a lot of good stuff in the last few years.

maybe if you don't speak english and are inventing the stories whole cloth from the pictures like i used to do with tokusatsu that hadn't been subtitled yet but remidner that he did half of that minimum carnage bullshit, which used the prometheus pit from micronauts and the microverse and some other poo poo, and it was unreadable garbage

also all the deadpool minis are bad

at the very best, he's aggressively mediocre (magneto, sixth gun)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
plus a ghost helps dan abnett write books, and he loves mantlo's poo poo, that's two great tastes right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I agree that most of the Deadpool minis were bad because it took him a long time to get a handle on the character (The Night of the Living Deadpool one was good) but he writes plenty of good stuff. Hellbreak, Harrow County, Sixth Gun, and the first issue of Blood Feud was quite good. Also his Moon Knight run was great. Abnett on the other hand really let me down with his terrible Guardians 3000 and his Secret Wars tie in was among the worst of the bunch.

I never read any of his Carnage stuff, because Carnage is terrible regardless.

EDIT: Oh God I didn't even mention Bunn's Magneto which is a fantastic series.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread