Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Xenomrph posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Oh, it isn't - but the series makes a lot of references to it that can be confusing for someone who hasn't played it (like it was for me when I first picked it up - it DID convince me to get the game though so I guess there's that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan but not really much of a gamer so I never played it. I just read a synopsis of the events and was fine.

Also I forgot to mention the recent Ghostbusters Deviations one shot by Kelly Thompson. It's really good as well and requires no knowledge of anything other than the first film. It's a What If/Elsworlds style book where the Ghostbusters never crossed the streams and Gozer as Stay-Puft rules over New York. Gozer is not a fan of the Stay-Puft form though and eventually asks the Ghostbusters to help it return to its home dimension.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The hotel level of the game is amazing and has some fantastic one liners

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gaz-L posted:

The hotel level of the game is amazing and has some fantastic one liners

The whole game is pretty classy and it's as close to a Ghostbusters 3 that we'll ever get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't understand why Bill Murray was ok with doing the game and not a 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why Bill Murray was ok with doing the game and not a 3.

Doing voice over work where you basically play yourself is arguably less work than acting in a Hollywood production?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Doing voice over work where you basically play yourself is arguably less work than acting in a Hollywood production?

It's not like he hates the idea of a new Ghostbusters because he's lazy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think he just resisted Ghostbusters 3 as long as he had to be a cast member. He's apparently got a cameo in the new movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like he hates the idea of a new Ghostbusters because he's lazy.

From what I understand for a long time he and Harold Ramis were not on good terms which probably had something to do with it. Also I read somewhere that they had such a hard time actually getting Murray to record his lines for the Ghostbusters game that they ended up writing an alternate script that removed his character just in case.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite story from the game was Murray talking about how he actually had a great time recording all of his dialogue. Then after leaving the studio, he's walking down the street, quietly singing the theme song to himself. He passes a couple and one of them says, "He still can't let it go. That's so sad."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think he just resisted Ghostbusters 3 as long as he had to be a cast member. He's apparently got a cameo in the new movie.

From what I understand, he also resisted the new one when it was going to be a "passing of the torch" sequel, even without his role in it. That's the big reason they had to make it a reboot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xenomrph posted:

The whole game is pretty classy and it's as close to a Ghostbusters 3 that we'll ever get.

I loved that game. Tore me up when I found out that the online servers are gone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Somehow I wasn't aware that this comic was still coming out until today.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Lemme guess... until it was implicitly cancelled because WWE signed a deal with BOOM?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Lemme guess... until it was implicitly cancelled because WWE signed a deal with BOOM?

It was released as a graphic novel, so the story is finished. Though it does end with a message saying that it's the last Papercutz WWE book and then showing a couple inked pages of what the next volume would have been. Namely a sequel to the WWE noir storyline, but with Roman Reigns and Sting fighting crime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

It was released as a graphic novel, so the story is finished. Though it does end with a message saying that it's the last Papercutz WWE book and then showing a couple inked pages of what the next volume would have been. Namely a sequel to the WWE noir storyline, but with Roman Reigns and Sting fighting crime.

Hmmm, the conundrum of if they'd let Roman turn on Sting, thus being the bad guy, even in a comic...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He-Man/Thundercats from DC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...eaking_bulletin

quote:

Written by ROB DAVID and LLOYD GOLDFINE • Art and covers by FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe team up with the ThunderCats—the epic crossover event you’ve waited thirty years to see! In his ever-living desire to destroy the mighty ThunderCats, Mumm-Ra quests for a weapon that can rival the legendary Sword of Omens: He-Man’s Sword of Power! But his dimension-spanning scheme kick starts a cataclysmic crisis that will embroil heroes and villains—Masters, Mutants and ThunderCats—in a mind-blowing six-part saga!

On sale OCTOBER 5 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The definitive crossover of these two properties has already been made.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Betty Boop ongoing coming from Roger Langridge

quote:

Just days before the doors open to the greatest spectacle in comics, Dynamite leads the charge with news to return animation's original leading lady to the limelight! For the first time in nearly 30 years, Betty Boop™ returns to the printed page!

October will see brand new adventures of Betty Boop™ (with her pals Koko the Clown and Bimbo, naturally) from award-winning writer Roger Langridge (The Muppets) and artist Gisèle Lagacé (Archie). Join Betty as she works at the Oop-A-Doop Club, dreams of hitting the big-time, looks after her old Grampy... and fights ghosts (proving that Betty was always ahead of her time)!

"I remember seeing old Max Fleischer Betty Boop™ cartoons on TV when I was a kid and being fascinated by their decidedly non-Disney viewpoint. They existed in a seedy, fallen world, full of speakeasies, ghastly monsters from nightmares, sexual tension, and lots of hot, hot jazz - heady, exotic stuff to a kid in suburban New Zealand in the 1970s," says writer Roger Langridge. "It must have left a strong impression, because it's a world I've tried to recreate in my own comics a number of times over the years, most particularly in my own creator-owned series Fred the Clown - so it's genuinely exciting to be able to go right to the source, writing the real deal. And I'm particularly pleased that we've got a woman cartoonist drawing this major female icon, in the form of the very talented Gisèle Lagacé; Betty Boop™, as was common at the time, was created as a male's fantasy idea of a woman, so I think it's important in this day and age to have a female point-of-view right at the creative coalface."

"Dynamite has assembled an incredible team to create the new Betty Boop™ series," said Frank Caruso, Vice President, Creative, for King Features. "As we are re-imagining Betty Boop™ with a whole new style-conscious generation, it's amazing to see this new creative team producing retro-infused comics with the confidence to know that there's nothing cooler than retro cartoons... especially a Max Fleischer cartoon!"

King Features is the exclusive worldwide licensing agent for Betty Boop™. The New York City-based unit of Hearst works closely with property owner Fleischer Studios to manage the brand.

"We have already been very fortunate to have such a strong partnership with King Features. To be able to tell new stories based on Max Fleischer's original cartoon superstar is another great achievement for all of us here at Dynamite," says Dynamite CEO and Publisher, Nick Barrucci. "Betty Boop™is one of the most recognizable faces in the history of animation, a timeless American cultural icon. This new series will delight comics fans young, old, and everywhere in-between!"

Betty Boop™ #1 features four traditional comic covers from an all-star cast of creative admirers, including the legendary Howard Chaykin (American Flagg!), Roger Langridge doing double-duty as an illustrator, series interior artist Gisèle Lagacé, and a special Max Fleischer character sheet. Special edition variants will include a "Coloring Book Cover" by J. Bone (Super Friends), printed on thick paper so fans of all ages can embellish her appearance; a Blank Authentix Edition that fans and comic professionals can illustrate; and a rare Howard Chaykin "Black & White" incentive edition available to qualifying retailers.

Betty Boop™ #1 will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' August 2016 Previews catalog, the premiere source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in October. Comic book fans are encouraged to reserve copies of Betty Boop™ with their local comic book retailers. Betty Boop™ will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Dynamite Digital, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

gently caress yes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Variant cover to be released exclusively on the leg of a morbidly obese woman at Wal-Mart.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Hmmm, the conundrum of if they'd let Roman turn on Sting, thus being the bad guy, even in a comic...

Its Sting, he will be turned on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Following on from previous crossovers, DC are putting out a sequel to Green Lantern/Star Trek and more importantly, a second Batman/TMNT thing, this time with Batman based on The Animated Series!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07...iego-comic-con/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the current TV Turtles, whereas I think the last one was the comic versions of both, right?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This has made me realise that I want to see a TMNT/Gargoyles crossover

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Following on from previous crossovers, DC are putting out a sequel to Green Lantern/Star Trek and more importantly, a second Batman/TMNT thing, this time with Batman based on The Animated Series!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07...iego-comic-con/

Is Batman going to gently caress April?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This has made me realise that I want to see a TMNT/Gargoyles crossover

Gargoyles/Daredevil. Their both in New York!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

WickedHate posted:

Gargoyles/Daredevil. Their both in New York!

I remember 90s cartoon Spiderman had a thing for talking to gargoyles.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Lurdiak posted:

That'll be the Woodrocket project they next do. Please don't let them know about it so it doesn't happen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

I'd only worry if he starts teaching her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm not too encouraged by Rom#1. The art is fine, but the pacing is butt. They're killing off too many potential support characters without developing them first, and they're doing a crossover in issue 2. The original was far more willing to establish a supporting cast, and when they were finally killed off, it made the event far more impactful. This may sound a bit strange, but I think IDW needs to slow things down for this to work.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not too encouraged by Rom#1. The art is fine, but the pacing is butt. They're killing off too many potential support characters without developing them first, and they're doing a crossover in issue 2. The original was far more willing to establish a supporting cast, and when they were finally killed off, it made the event far more impactful. This may sound a bit strange, but I think IDW needs to slow things down for this to work.

That's just a problem with modern comics across the board. Everyone is in a goddamn hurry to get to the next thing every time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I read the Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover the other day. Is the art really that hideous in the main book? It looks like everyone's mouth is trying to run away from their faces.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Out of curiosity, was the Karen Traviss GI Joe comic where Cobra are the real heroes as bad as I would assume a comic with that concept and author would be?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, was the Karen Traviss GI Joe comic where Cobra are the real heroes as bad as I would assume a comic with that concept and author would be?

She really is a one trick pony, isn't she?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

She really is a one trick pony, isn't she?
She really is a hack, and I instantly lost all hope in Gears of War 3 being a satisfying conclusion to that trilogy once I learned she was writing it.

I still get a chuckle about her colossal Star Wars meltdown when the Clone Wars cartoon trolled the everloving poo poo out of her, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Followup question: How many times does she sneak in references to Mandalorians?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't she get fired/quit from her work on Halo in similar circumstances to her departure from Star Wars?

Actually looking through her Wiki page, it looks like that GI Joe comic was the last big thing she's done. The only other work listed on her page after it is a one-shot Wonder Woman comic and even that was a year ago now.

Also, the fact that Karen Traviss did Wonder Woman requires some processing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't she get fired/quit from her work on Halo in similar circumstances to her departure from Star Wars?
I have no idea, but that's ultra-hilarious if it's true. Can someone else confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

She really is a hack, and I instantly lost all hope in Gears of War 3 being a satisfying conclusion to that trilogy once I learned she was writing it.

I still get a chuckle about her colossal Star Wars meltdown when the Clone Wars cartoon trolled the everloving poo poo out of her, though.

Explain this please it sounds amazing

• Locked thread