Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Explain this please it sounds amazing

Traviss had a major lady-boner for the Mandalorians, Star Wars' mandatory NOBLE WARRIOR RACE, she wrote novel after novel about them, exploring their history and culture and making them the biggest badasses and showing how their warrior nature endured until the Empire's rise... Then Clone Wars showed that Mandalorians were in fact all pacifists who'd set aside war eons before. And Star Wars canon rules are that anything on screen trumps anything in print. If it's on a Lucasfilm TV show or movie, it's what mattters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gaz-L posted:

Traviss had a major lady-boner for the Mandalorians, Star Wars' mandatory NOBLE WARRIOR RACE, she wrote novel after novel about them, exploring their history and culture and making them the biggest badasses and showing how their warrior nature endured until the Empire's rise... Then Clone Wars showed that Mandalorians were in fact all pacifists who'd set aside war eons before. And Star Wars canon rules are that anything on screen trumps anything in print. If it's on a Lucasfilm TV show or movie, it's what mattters.
It wasn't just that, she shoehorned in her Mandalorian nonsense into otherwise unrelated books (such as multi-author collaborative series, totally derailing the series plots so she could jerk off the Mandalorians non-stop) and ruined Boba Fett as a character while she was at it.
Her books also never hesitated to badmouth the Jedi (again, derailing the plot to do so) and often depicting known Jedi characters as uncharacteristically incompetent or dickish in order to use them as strawmen for the Mandalorian characters to knock down.

And then yeah, the writers of the Clone Wars series thought her bullshit was really asinine and over the top, so they hinted that they were going to retcon the poo poo out of all of her Mandalorian fanwank in their cartoon, and she had a public meltdown on her blog (since deleted) about how the Mandalorians where HER characters and other writers couldn't just ruin her work, oblivious to the fact that:
1. They weren't her characters
2. She had trampled all over other peoples' work when writing her Mandalorian jerk-off material

She threatened to bail on her remaining Star Wars book contracts if the Clone Wars episodes aired, they aired as scheduled (and were quite good, for what they were), she had another public meltdown and bailed on her contracts and nothing of value was lost. She got blacklisted from contributing to Star Wars ever again, her remaining book got canceled, and at the end of the day all of her work got thrown in the trash anyway when the Star Wars EU got rebooted in the wake of The Force Awakens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And doesn't Rebels have a Mandalorian character who's again in the proud warrior vein?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, was the Karen Traviss GI Joe comic where Cobra are the real heroes as bad as I would assume a comic with that concept and author would be?

Yes.
Yes it was.

It wasn't that Cobra were the heroes of her books. She didn't seem to spend too much with them, instead focusing on a rebel group in a small country that had been invaded by Cobra, it was that she decided that instead of having the Joes in their traditional role of "elite commando rescue force", she instead had them as black ops assassins, killing leaders of foreign countries.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Her books also never hesitated to badmouth the Jedi (again, derailing the plot to do so) and often depicting known Jedi characters as uncharacteristically incompetent or dickish in order to use them as strawmen for the Mandalorian characters to knock down.

I remember she also had a blog post accusing people who like the Jedi of "Nazi-think"(I believe she also compared her critics to the Taliban) and bragging about how she stood up and applauded in the cinema during the Order 66 scene.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
She also wrote the Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic, according to which there are only 3 million clone soldiers in the entire Republic Army, which ended up getting her into a series of online arguments with the section of the online fanbase who thought that 3 million soldiers was a bit low for a galactic war. So immediately after this had happened, she wrote a short story called Odds, which 'revealed' that Mace Windu had been conspiring with the Republic to massively inflate the scale of the Separatist threat. She literally wrote a book so that she could win an online argument about imaginary spacemans.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember she also had a blog post accusing people who like the Jedi of "Nazi-think"(I believe she also compared her critics to the Taliban) and bragging about how she stood up and applauded in the cinema during the Order 66 scene.

There's also the ending to her last Republic Commando book, which features the only sympathetic Jedi in the book heroically sacrificing her life to save an innocent clone trooper from a young Padawan, who was viciously trying to defend himself against Order 66.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 20, 2016

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Whoops, double post.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 20, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jo Joestar posted:

There's also the ending to her last Republic Commando book, which features the only sympathetic Jedi in the book heroically sacrificing her life to save an innocent clone trooper from a young Padawan, who was viciously trying to defend himself against Order 66.

Oh, yeah, I remember one of those books revisited a Jedi apprentice character called Scout from an earlier (and much more well-regarded) novel, where her story had been that she had very weak Force sensitivity but her determination impressed Yoda so much that he told her she was an ideal Jedi, except in the Traviss novel it was revealed that the Jedi had hated her all along because of how weak she was, and only the noble Mandalorians would respect her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Missing poo poo like this is why I regret not being part of the fandom sooner, this all sounds amazing in just the most batshit way

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If anyone wants to read it, her post about Jedis = Nazis is still on her website:

http://www.karentraviss.com/page22/files/Is_it_true_you_hate_Jedi_.html

quote:

But once you're past the age of puberty and you start arguing passionately with me that the Jedi were right to accept a slave army of cloned human beings and use them in war, and cloned humans aren't proper humans like us, and it was too bad the clones died, and the Jedi had no choice - well, sweetheart, I want to run a mile from you. Not the Jedi, who - just to remind you - are a figment of various writers' imaginations, just like the clones. You. If I see that you really mean it, and you're making excuses in your own mind for the Jedi just following orders on that delicate point, then you scare the living crap out of me. For real.

Because it's clear to me that you believe deep down in real life that some human lives are worth less than others, and so it's okay to end them. Whether you realise that or not. Because if you don't believe it at that fundamental level, then why do you get so damned angry with me when I rock the boat of your fictional beliefs? It's just a kids' fantasy story. You could shrug and move on. But the fact that you rage about it means it's hit a real nerve in you, in the core of your real beliefs.

So, either you're nuts, and you genuinely believe that an evil wizard who shoots lightning out of his fingers is threatening your well-being, or you might just have some ugly supremacist attitudes to your fellow man that you can't acknowledge even to yourself.

Am I making you feel uncomfortable? I hope so.

I'm sure you think you're a nice decent person who's kind to animals, recycles faithfully, and fills in tax returns honestly. Maybe you believe in God, too. But to me, you're someone who harbours a vile and degrading belief in the concept of Untermensch - the idea that some humans aren't human at all, and we can do as we like with them, for whatever arbitrary value we put on the words "real human." You're looking for ways to sift your kind of human from the humans who don't matter, and who can be consigned to the fate of animals. In fact, if you use the phrase "real humans" at all, my case is proven.

That belief in a league table of humans - and the casual acceptance of it by nice people who were kind to animals and filled in their tax forms on time - led to the enslavement and murder of millions.

It's slave-owner-think: it's Nazi-think. And yes, I bloody well hate it, and all those who think it.

It's not about Jedi - who don't even exist. It's about you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not sure if this belongs here, but the new Flinstones comic continues to be really, really good. Although it's unclear if this is just a more edgy take on the Flinstones or if there is an actual explanation for why Bedrock is pseudo-Modern, has talking animals, and dinosaurs. The weirdest aspect of the book is that there are flashbacks that show them acting like normal early humans.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I wouldn't expect a rational explanation for why they have "modern" technology, just like the cartoon. I love the comic, but I hope they never explain it. It's the Flintstones, that's just how it goes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She could have summarized with 'the prequels are bad and dumb the end'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

If anyone wants to read it, her post about Jedis = Nazis is still on her website:

That excerpt reads more like 'clones as disposable cannon fodder = Nazi-thinking' which... she's not wrong?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The issue is that I don't think anyone was really treating the clones like that (other than her strawman Jedi.) It certainly wasn't any Lucasfilm mandate considering they had books, videogames and a TV show where they spent a lot of time featuring Clone Troopers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Raising a literal army of child soldiers is pretty weird inherently, but she's such a huge diva about it. A better writer would take issues like that and the other flaws of the pre-Empire Jedi Order and handle them with a lot more subtlety.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

The issue is that I don't think anyone was really treating the clones like that (other than her strawman Jedi.) It certainly wasn't any Lucasfilm mandate considering they had books, videogames and a TV show where they spent a lot of time featuring Clone Troopers.

As I recall, the Clone Wars cartoon (the one Traviss eventually quit over) even had an episode where a rogue clone trooper is carrying out acts of sabotage because he feels like he and his brothers are being treated as cannon fodder by the Republic.

Off the top of my head, there was one of the last Clone Wars era comics John Ostrander wrote, where two Jedi debate what will become of the clones after the war is over: one of them is instinctively suspicious of them because they're bred to fight and kill, and that will always be part of them, while the other believes the Jedi can help the clones to integrate into civilian life.

As regards the portrayal of the Jedi, I think Tim Zahn did something with that in Outbound Flight, where the antagonist is a Jedi Master who thinks that having the Force makes the Jedi better than everyone else, but doesn't have an answer when the crew of his ship stand up to him and ask him to explain why.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Chairman Capone posted:

Ah, so she's one of the CD regulars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

She could have summarized with 'the prequels are bad and dumb the end'

She actually likes the prequels (because the "good guys win" when the clones kill the Jedi) and dislikes the original trilogy (she wrote a book about how common soldiers like Vader and how he's the real hero to them because he cares for his soldiers).

muscles like this? posted:

And the other thing is that even from the very start of the Clone Wars stuff, before she showed up, there were comics and a book where the Jedi were explicitly the ones raising these issues and the ones encouraging the clones to take names and become individuals and not be treated like cannon fodder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

And the other thing is that even from the very start of the Clone Wars stuff, before she showed up, there were comics and a book where the Jedi were explicitly the ones raising these issues and the ones encouraging the clones to take names and become individuals and not be treated like cannon fodder.

Sounds like you've got a bad case of the Nazi-think there, mate!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

She actually likes the prequels (because the "good guys win" when the clones kill the Jedi) and dislikes the original trilogy (she wrote a book about how common soldiers like Vader and how he's the real hero to them because he cares for his soldiers).

Vader.

The man who casually murders his subordinates because they are not moving fast enough on an insane project that they're already over working on.

Clearly he is the best of bosses of which there are no equivalents

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The reasoning was that Vader always led his men from the front, even though Vader's first appearance in ANH is him stepping into Leia's spaceship after his men have gone in ahead of him and cleared it out.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Burkion posted:

Vader.

The man who casually murders his subordinates because they are not moving fast enough on an insane project that they're already over working on.

Clearly he is the best of bosses of which there are no equivalents

On the other hand he IS primarily murdering arrogant officers as I recall, which I suppose might actually endear him to the rank and file more. "Badass AND he kills our rear end in a top hat bosses" is a lovely sales pitch really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Raising a literal army of child soldiers is pretty weird inherently, but she's such a huge diva about it. A better writer would take issues like that and the other flaws of the pre-Empire Jedi Order and handle them with a lot more subtlety.

I always thought the attempts to introduce shades of grey to a setting where the bad guys wear black and have a giant Death Star was idiotic at best and malicious at worst.

The Jedi shouldn't be sketchy, the Republic shouldn't be corrupt and "deserving" of being usurped by the Sith. That can't exist in the same world as the original three films. Wanting it to is nothing but a manifestation of cynicism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh most of the weird black and white poo poo wasn't in the originals, you have theEU and prequels to thank for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh most of the weird black and white poo poo wasn't in the originals, you have theEU and prequels to thank for that.

Right, except the exact opposite of that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nope, the originals weren't complicated but they were far from black and white. Which they shouldn't be, that would be boring as poo poo. You can go to far, as the weird Jedi=nazi thing shows but the later Eu was much more interesting than the earlier ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope, the originals weren't complicated but they were far from black and white

Please point me to a single scene that casts the empire and its goals in a sympathetic light.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oddly specific, it does have a scene with a smuggler who Murders a dude. The empire is hardly thing it doesn't have any real goals.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Please point me to a single scene that casts the empire and its goals in a sympathetic light.
When they tried to finally put down the Ewok menace threatening the galaxy

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 23, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

With the fall of the empire they now have ships.

What have you done Luke?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Weren't the clone troopers comissioned by Palpatine though?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People who are made in a robot factory on commission from Dracula and have no free will are totally heroic and noble, and people who dedicate their lives to understanding the nature of the universe and using this understanding to do good are Hitler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought the attempts to introduce shades of grey to a setting where the bad guys wear black and have a giant Death Star was idiotic at best and malicious at worst.

The Jedi shouldn't be sketchy, the Republic shouldn't be corrupt and "deserving" of being usurped by the Sith. That can't exist in the same world as the original three films. Wanting it to is nothing but a manifestation of cynicism.

You're not wrong, but that's the narrative the prequels and surrounding EU went for. Sketchy pre-Empire Jedi and their army of child soldiers became a thing because of Lucas, and by Traviss' time, there wasn't gonna be any avoiding it. She just went in the dumbest possible direction with it.

I guess if you wanna justify it, the Empire may be worse than the corrupt Republic and sketchy Jedi Order, but things get worse before they get better.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 23, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Anora posted:

Weren't the clone troopers comissioned by Palpatine though?

And he explicitly hides it from the Jedi, right? That's what Obi-Wan's whole subplot in AotC is about, if I remember a movie I haven't seen in a decade correctly?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

You're not wrong, but that's the narrative the prequels and surrounding EU went for. Sketchy pre-Empire Jedi and their army of child soldiers became a thing because of Lucas, and by Traviss' time, there wasn't gonna be any avoiding it. She just went in the dumbest possible direction with it.

I guess if you wanna justify it, the Empire may be worse than the corrupt Republic and sketchy Jedi Order, but things get worse before they get better.

I imagine the whole theme of the Jedi being ivory tower sorts whose conservatism means they can't see the fact that their arch-enemy is standing right in front of them, and the Republic being corrupt and sterile, was absolutely intentional on Lucas's part. I mean, it must have been, because the alternative is that Lucas was a little incompetent about getting his ideas across and he sort of lucked into it.

That's the main problem for me - I honestly find it hard to tell whether the prequel movies are earnestly trying to portray the Republic as a good thing that's worth preserving, or if they're only being unintentionally critical of it. I know there's the whole Death of the Author idea so it shouldn't really matter, but for me it's a matter of how well an idea is communicated, sometimes even more so than what the idea actually is.

This is the guy who's supposed to have seriously suggested "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius" as good names for Sith characters, after all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Star Wars is at its worst when it's a black and white story but Lucas loved the idea (he reportedly hated KOTOR2 because of that.)so I don't think it was intentional. Lucas also has no idea how to stage a coup, but I digress.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 23, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

People who are made in a robot factory on commission from Dracula and have no free will are totally heroic and noble, and people who dedicate their lives to understanding the nature of the universe and using this understanding to do good are Hitler.

That's another thing I liked about Traviss, she insisted that the clones never had any sort of brain chip or conditioning controlling them, they were all fully free. And as a result they carried out Order 66 because they were just such good soldiers they followed orders from their commander-in-chief.

In other words, for someone who rants about how the Jedi are Nazis, she uses the Nuremberg Defense to justify her clone troopers' actions.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Star Wars is at its worst when it's a black and white story but Lucas loved the idea (he reportedly hated KOTOR2 because of that.)so I don't think it was intentional. Lucas also has no idea how to stage a coup, but I digress.

I honestly doubt Lucas has any knowledge of KOTOR 2 at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

That's another thing I liked about Traviss, she insisted that the clones never had any sort of brain chip or conditioning controlling them, they were all fully free. And as a result they carried out Order 66 because they were just such good soldiers they followed orders from their commander-in-chief.

You'd think someone truly free might object to forced conscription or murdering children for a government structure that gives them no rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Great Britian and France beg to differ.

• Locked thread