Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
As annoying as cyclists riding in the middle of the road and seemingly trying to be obstructive (for example riding spread out in two- or three-abreast formation on the regular road or in their bike lane, but spilling over onto the road completely) can be, it's completely stupid to try and push the blame onto them. We've all got a responsibility to drive/ride on the road like decent human beings and try to avoid killing each other, even if the other people on the road are complete idiots. We really shouldn't be taking a "kill them all and let god sort them out" approach, here.

ghlbtsk posted:

I really hate the argument by the anti-helmet lobby that "I should be able to do what I want with my own body". What about the poor driver who killed you? Even though it was your fault, this person will have to live with (unintentionally) killing someone for the rest of their lives.

Your stupidity affects everyone.

Also: What if I drink a gallon of bleach while riding a bike without a helmet?
If I swerve into traffic due to massive organ failure, is the driver who hits me at fault?

I also agree with this, though. Although a helmet isn't exactly going to grant you invincibility and guarantee you surviving being bowled off your bike onto the nearest hard and/or sharp object, cyclists refusing to wear at least some protective equipment to compensate for the fact that they're more exposed/vulnerable than car drivers - followed by them proceeding to get hit by a car and have their skull split open - should at least be held partially accountable of the collision's outcome, if it's found that them wearing a helmet would've allowed them to survive. Since yeah, although that driver might not be completely to blame (for example if the cyclist is just weaving around road at night without any kind of light/blinker, after potentially having consumed a few alcoholic beverages, then being hit by a car immediately after swerving in front), they're still going to have to live with the fact that they just watched some poor bastard splatter themselves on their bonnet and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

numberoneposter posted:

this is me IRL

nice tits

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think this is the third bike thread I've read about this.

It's like the new IP thread

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Darth123123 posted:

I think this is the third bike thread I've read about this.

It's like the new IP thread

Since 2006? That ain't bad.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

TOILETLORD posted:

wrong, if they did everyone wouldn't hate them hth.

Well Maybe you attract bad bikers, But my only bad experience with people who bike are those who are casual about it?

TBH I feel that if you choose to ride a bike, motorized or otherwise, you should be force to put "yes" under being an organ donor.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Donors make better livers. :D

And you gotta notify your next of kin if you are a donor because that's who has final say-so, not what's on your license…I could be lying but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I don't know what happens if you have no next of kin or executor or whatever. Pauper's field, I guess. For what's left of you.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

I.C. posted:

Donors make better livers. :D

And you gotta notify your next of kin if you are a donor because that's who has final say-so, not what's on your license…I could be lying but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I don't know what happens if you have no next of kin or executor or whatever. Pauper's field, I guess. For what's left of you.

depends on state, if you don't have any paper work to say what you want filed with a lawyer the state gets total say in california if you are 18 or older. Same if you get knocked into a coma the state gets to decide what happens to you if you got nothing filed.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ok now that we have four pages I'll tell you what made me post this:

Three sibling/kids were crossing the street on their bikes, using a crosswalk, and one got hit and died. hosed up, right? But this is what gets me is they were riding with the youngest in the middle (I don't know if abreast or in a line, I assume a line) because their loving PARENTS TOLD THEM TO

Hey parents, how about you loving tell them to WEAR A DICKING HELMET TOO??

Kid got hit, hit her head on the windshield, died.

In another story, an engineer throws a huge fit about a cities civil road engineers being retarded when a mother and daughter got ran down by a severely drunk driver. It was sleeting. They purposefully ignored the crosswalk. Dude blames engineers.

That's like blaming the velvet manufacurer of the pool table when your friend knocks the cue ball into your fat face

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

That's like blaming the velvet manufacurer of the pool table when your friend knocks the cue ball into your fat face
lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ok now that we have four pages I'll tell you what made me post this:

Three sibling/kids were crossing the street on their bikes, using a crosswalk, and one got hit and died. hosed up, right? But this is what gets me is they were riding with the youngest in the middle (I don't know if abreast or in a line, I assume a line) because their loving PARENTS TOLD THEM TO

Hey parents, how about you loving tell them to WEAR A DICKING HELMET TOO??

Kid got hit, hit her head on the windshield, died.

In another story, an engineer throws a huge fit about a cities civil road engineers being retarded when a mother and daughter got ran down by a severely drunk driver. It was sleeting. They purposefully ignored the crosswalk. Dude blames engineers.

How old? Charges? Gay?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i blame cyclists for all accidents including 9/11 and natural disasters

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

truth is i see loads of dumb loving people on bikes running red lights and biking on pavements etc, but i see even more retard drivers doing stupid poo poo (to be fair there's like 500x more cars than bikes so it makes sense)

naem
May 29, 2011

I ride a bycacell an that's why baby bunies die

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

I just wear a helmet all the time so its cool and im cool too

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Do not bike where there are cars. Do not do it. Cars can kill your rear end with it's poor-to-nonexistant grasp of the Rules of the Road.

Don't bike.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Bicyclists intimidate me.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Depends

Exhibit A:

http://gifb.in/SUsV

No amount of helmet gonna save your rear end there.

But if you aren't mowed down by a psychotic driver and you suffer massive head injuries due to not wearing a helmet, I say you loving deserve it.

It's simple risk management. It's like going onto a construction site and wearing flip flops, because you know, others should be more careful to ensure nothing drops and destroys your feet.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/helmetless-rider-dies-helmet-protest/

loving lol, deserved, darwin at work.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Do not bike where there are cars. Do not do it. Cars can kill your rear end with it's poor-to-nonexistant grasp of the Rules of the Road.

Don't bike.

naw, cycling is pretty safe. being in a car is safer but biking is in no way dangerous.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

tips for surviving as a cyclist - avoid SUVs because people in SUVs are retarded

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you want to survive as a cyclist, you gotta be prepared to bust a skull or two with a baseball bat.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Goons don't like biking because goons are obese and have trouble breathing. The breathing problem is caused by food and cigarettes, and not just normal smoking, but having a smoke inbetween dota matches level of smoking.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Wearing a helmet doesn't help, I just go faster before I hit them. I figure if the tragedies keep mounting maybe we'll get a sensible law where bicycles can only be ridden on the weekends in playgrounds.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lots of people from uncivilized places in this thread.

Bicycles are normal transportation here, and we have bike lanes and traffic controls for them. While I do happen to wear a helmet, and there are also mandatory helmet laws for youth, that is something I figure is up for an adult to decide for themselves.

What is more important are proper lights on bikes. I'm pretty sure it is legally required for bicycles to have lights here, but it is not as rabidly enforced as it should be. If you are going to ride at night then you should have lights.

Also, if you are riding a bike and are more than 11 years of age, stay off the drat sidewalk.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hemale in pain posted:

tips for surviving as a cyclist - avoid SUVs because people in SUVs are retarded

Eh, I'm rich can repair the bumper pretty easily. It's the streak from the neoprene suit that causes my paint expense.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

maybe if the kid had a gun the car would not have killed her

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I about hit a guy walking his dog in my neighborhood on the street wearing black head to toe. The dog was black and on a leash! Gj safety first

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
So it's not just black people you want to kill?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Darth123123 posted:

How old? Charges? Gay?

Kids in first story were like 12-14

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darth123123 posted:

I about hit a guy walking his dog in my neighborhood on the street wearing black head to toe. The dog was black and on a leash! Gj safety first

Black people and black dogs should have to wear hi vis jackets at night.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frankenstyle posted:

Wearing a helmet doesn't help, I just go faster before I hit them. I figure if the tragedies keep mounting maybe we'll get a sensible law where bicycles can only be ridden on the weekends in playgrounds.

loving laffo!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Wear a loving helmet. Wear a loving helmet.Wear a loving helmet.

bikers on average deserve death

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kids in first story were like 12-14

Not cool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

spud posted:

Black people and black dogs should have to wear hi vis jackets at night.

Nah just keep goin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

bikers on average deserve death

It's not fair to judge all bikers based on me.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

Yeah agreed. try riding your bike in the bike lane in NYC...cars just use them for temporary parking and unloading/loading, particularly in the hasidic jew section of brooklyn. i almost ran over a lil' hassid hymie boy and basically got chased out of jew town by one of their neighborhood school bus drivers. fortunately, it's against their religion or something to cross the border into south williamsburg, so i booked it to bedford ave, a la themla & louise.

hope you get hit by a bus you fuckwit

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Smash it Smash hit posted:

" Look at this idiot biker. First he is on the road, now he is on the sidewalk, now he is off his bike talking to his friend, now he is riding on the road again." - person driving a 2500lb death machine 40 mph

smart people get out of the way of the 2500 lb death machine; idiot bikers do everything they can to infuriate the drivers of those machines. hence their deserving of death and or being mangled

Drink Cheerwine posted:

some drunk faggy hippie riding his bike broke my side mirror when i was stopped at a red light. he then attempted to flee.

he made it a block and a half before my friend and i beat the poo poo out of him (for running)

street justice

same. but my dude managed to get away because of SF traffic. i am glad you delivered street justice.

another time a biker rear end in a top hat scratched my car and another pulled my antenna.

i am glad that i do not carry a crow bar in my car

naem posted:

San Francisco prides itself on public transit eco-something-something but it means that the muni light rail, historic trolley cars, the car lane, tax/bus lane and bike lane all merge into each other with brightly colored paint and concrete islands full of people in the middle of the street, delivery trucks blocking half the lanes, and hobos running amok pooping EVERYWHERE any time traffic stops which is constantly.

i live and drive in SF. You have not known pure hatred until you drive a car in SF.

Top City Homo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 9, 2014

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I ate it so many times on mine and never wore a helmet and look at me now.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Frankenstyle posted:

maddox.xmission.com

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

I.C. posted:

look at me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

It's a giant leprechaun baby.

• Locked thread