Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Sanschel posted:

Trinity War unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-y9BWsIK4

The Outsider is the U Prime, Seven Deadly Sins as figures are the chases, second rate Nu52 Batman cheesecake villain White Rabbit is the Ultra Chase, and it looks like most of the Justice League are SRs, as both Wonder Woman and Batman are.

Also note that apparently out of a single brick she pulled a prime, a chase, three Deadly Sin special objects, and three SRs.

"Chasing a white rabbit" is also a phrase for trying to get something super hard to get, so maybe it was just a metaphor and we're not getting the actual White Rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Death storm and Firestorm are up.
http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/dc-heroclix-justice-league-trinity-war-firestorm-deathstorm/#axzz3OLqKIr3z

Firestorm is the new M10th Iron Man

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can I assume correctly that the fast forces and GF hit stores a week before the main set?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

its impossible to shoot deathstorm to death unless you do it in one hit past his special defense

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Man, I've been really pumped for the last couple of DC sets. I'm not a fan of the heroes, but I love DC villains. SLoSH and The Flash really delivered on that front, and now it looks like Trinity War will too.

I really want information on that Parallax Sinestro as soon as possible. He's one of my favorite villains.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

its impossible to shoot deathstorm to death unless you do it in one hit past his special defense

I like that they made him hard to kill but gave him laughable defense values

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I AM THE MOON posted:

Even then you'd have to KO him and not just leave him on his last click because the effect would still have been generated when the power was revealed.

I missed out on tonight's kill and keep for Nekron and the other WOL prizes by not passing the qualifier round, which was a draft. Everyone in my pod bought GotG and I got to buy a replacement pack as I pulled Collector, who would have kind of poisoned the pool a little. This was good, as I then pulled (and of course kept) Corvus Glaive. Later I bought a Flash pack and pulled pirate Deathstroke. Have any of you noticed the Reverse Flash packs tending to have the good pulls (SRs, primes) more than the Barry packs do?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

ManiacClown posted:

Even then you'd have to KO him and not just leave him on his last click because the effect would still have been generated when the power was revealed.

Maybe you can help me on this. The local judge was discussing this at the local venue yesterday. His official ruling is that "that power doesn't activate unless it stops on that click. Revealed usually only means when it stops there. So that power wouldn't activate unless it stops there, so if you nail him hard enough to knock him to his last click, it doesn't matter." Just wondering what the difference is really..

Also, the outsider from the unboxing looks way too much like Col. Sanders...

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 11, 2015

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

SublimeDelusions posted:

Maybe you can help me on this. The local judge was discussing this at the local venue yesterday. His official ruling is that "that power doesn't activate unless it stops on that click. Revealed usually only means when it stops there. So that power wouldn't activate unless it stops there, so if you nail him hard enough to knock him to his last click, it doesn't matter." Just wondering what the difference is really..

I think that it's somewhere in the middle. My ruling would agree be the same as your judge's, but for different reasons.

'Revealed' does mean when the power shows up on the dial, even if you are just clicking past it. Otherwise, powers that have you stop turning the dial when they are revealed would not work. Where I see the sticking point being, though, is that Deathstorm's healing doesn't happen until actions resolve, at which point he won't have the power.

The argument against what I'm saying would bring up the 2014 rulebook change, which says that an action, once begun, can continue even if the power granting that action is lost (losing Flurry after your first attack being the most obvious example). However, that only works if the action has already started happening, which is why I would say Deathstorm doesn't get to heal if he's knocked past his power: the healing doesn't start happening while his dial is turning, it happens once it stops turning.

The most important rule, of course, is that the local judge is always right.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

SublimeDelusions posted:

Also, the outsider from the unboxing looks way too much like Col. Sanders...

Did it show in the dial window at any point while clicking? Yes? It was revealed. That's the definition of "revealed" as pertains to information in the combat dial window.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

SublimeDelusions posted:

The important thing is that powers that show up while clicking but are clicked past are, in fact, revealed. Under your judge's ruling, stop clicks don't work, since those activate "when revealed," it's just that most powers don't have an "on reveal" effect.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Also, it doesn't matter if the power is gone after actions resolve. Once an effect is triggered its going to happen. Just look at the rulings for the SLoSH Science Police. Even if you blast them past their "Tactical Deployment" clicks, they still deal their unavoidable damage to characters that meet the criteria.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Also, it doesn't matter if the power is gone after actions resolve. Once an effect is triggered its going to happen. Just look at the rulings for the SLoSH Science Police. Even if you blast them past their "Tactical Deployment" clicks, they still deal their unavoidable damage to characters that meet the criteria.

That works SLIGHTLY differently. It's because the action triggers the effect while their dial window hasn't changed yet. It's just a power that functions in a much more standard way.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Looked to place an order for GG206 Dr. Strange recently, mistakenly ordered this guy instead:

Is there any way to make this guy useful without Astrals? I can put him in a cobbled-together Mystical team (options: White Witch, Blok, Doctor, Dr. Alchemy, Savitar, Man-Thing, TDW starter Malekith, Pied Piper), but I may just trade him off.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
So, I finally got my hands on GSX Mr. Sinister, with an autographed card, even. So, it's finally time to debut Team Jar:

GSX Mr. Sinister
CA Weapon X
Morphing Jar
Shock Jockey
Mr. Mind

That leaves me with 25 points to fill, and I'm rather thematically limited. I'm planning on going with the 5-point Jarvis pog, and an Einherjar horde token. It's no resources, otherwise the Utility Belt would actually be perfect... anybody have any other jar-themed things that could fill 25 points?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Gamma Bomb?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You could try to find a way to sub in John Stewart. He was a Marine, or "jarhead." Failing that, so was Hitman (61 points, Arkham Asylum). There are plenty of other characters who've been Marines, I'm sure.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

So, I finally got my hands on GSX Mr. Sinister, with an autographed card, even. So, it's finally time to debut Team Jar:

GSX Mr. Sinister
CA Weapon X
Morphing Jar
Shock Jockey
Mr. Mind

That leaves me with 25 points to fill, and I'm rather thematically limited. I'm planning on going with the 5-point Jarvis pog, and an Einherjar horde token. It's no resources, otherwise the Utility Belt would actually be perfect... anybody have any other jar-themed things that could fill 25 points?

Pretty sure I only ever signed like a dozen of those at Gencon the year he came out so that's quite a find.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They previewed The Outsider yesterday— both of them. The standard version is CSA Alfred while the Prime is the one from Flashpoint. The latter has a trait that lets you lower elevated terrain by a level and to use Quake, which is a free action if he has two tokens. I like him. I want one.

CSA Alfred is a battery for the team ability and seemingly TTPC, able to take 1 unavoidable damage instead of placing an action token "When a friendly character uses Probability Control and an action token would be assigned as a result". With that very passive-voice wording, technically speaking he could also tell Pandora to shove it and affect similar game effects. If he sits in the back he can also click down onto a Bat Signal-type power, letting him yank two friendlies to him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

They updated WizKidsEventSystem, so that now you have badges to unlock. That's neat, I guess? My judge rarely posts results, though - just the event notice.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This weekend we've got 500 Golden and I'm looking at running Duhg's Army. At some point with a larger point total (probably 600 or 700 if I could make the points work) I'd like to run double-fuckery on keywords by including G.W. Bridge and bringing a ringer into the Army. However, here's what I'm looking at running:
pre:
TDW015	Duhg			125
--FEAT	Shake Off		10
GOTG050	Proxima Midnight	100
--FEAT	Automatic Regeneration	12
IN060	Shi			47
FI301	Splitlip		20
SOG044	Starfire		83
--FEAT	Trick Shot		20
SV222	Wolverine		50
IOB006	Lian Harper		1
IOB006	Lian Harper		1
IOB006	Lian Harper		1
-----------------------------------
			Total:	500
		Theme:	Duhg's Army
The Lian Harpers rain Hammers down. Proxima Midnight gets Angrir's so she can use AutoRegen, Starfire gets Mokk's so she can use Trick Shot, and Duhg gets Greithoth's when appropriate so he can base annoying hard-to-damage-but-squishy characters and break away, damaging them with Shake Off. Shi gets Skadi's because of her sick-rear end Attack value with Blades. Wolverine (yes, the Supernova zombie chase— he was in the collection my friend gave to me and I want to use him) gets something. I don't know what. Skirn's, maybe? Kuurth's? It'll probably depend on the map. Shi will probably get Kuurth's as soon as she can have two. It'll probably depend on the map. Any suggestions?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So here's tonight's event: Friend in Need: Build a 300 point modern age constructed force. Buy one booster or equivalent for your sidepool. Once per game at the beginning of your turn, you may replace a character who was KO'd during your opponent's last turn with a character of equal or lesser value from your sidepool in that square. The square must currently be unoccupied.

So here's my team.

- ASM 004 Blade - 85 Points
- IIM 040 Shaman - 92 Points
- FL 028 Tarpit - 115 Points
- WoL 300 Green Lantern Ring - 8 Points
Total: 300 Points

My thinking is that:
* Shaman grounds everyone, and picks up the ring for protection.
* Tarpit copies the Mystics ability. I'm wondering if he can't occupy (and block) a square someone was KO'd in, he can just move through it, leaving a trail of blocking tar.
* Blade provides ranged attacks and has the Indomitable-ness to move around.

Edit: The store has SLoSH, Teen Titans, Batman, Invincible Iron Man, and maybe one Flash booster left, so I have no idea what to buy.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 14, 2015

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

So here's tonight's event: Friend in Need: Build a 300 point modern age constructed force. Buy one booster or equivalent for your sidepool. Once per game at the beginning of your turn, you may replace a character who was KO'd during your opponent's last turn with a character of equal or lesser value from your sidepool in that square. The square must currently be unoccupied.

So here's my team.

- ASM 004 Blade - 85 Points
- IIM 040 Shaman - 92 Points
- FL 028 Tarpit - 115 Points
- WoL 300 Green Lantern Ring - 8 Points
Total: 300 Points

My thinking is that:
* Shaman grounds everyone, and picks up the ring for protection.
* Tarpit copies the Mystics ability. I'm wondering if he can't occupy (and block) a square someone was KO'd in, he can just move through it, leaving a trail of blocking tar.
* Blade provides ranged attacks and has the Indomitable-ness to move around.

Edit: The store has SLoSH, Teen Titans, Batman, Invincible Iron Man, and maybe one Flash booster left, so I have no idea what to buy.

I'd find out if Shaman's thing can affect the reinforcements as they won't be on the board when he does it. On reading it, it looks like after the free action it can but you never know.

Also random question for whoever.

500 point no resources game. How would you fill out the last 10 points in a black order team? I was thinking a parademon pog for the flight, but I'm open to other ideas.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Blue Devil is up! He is a double silver bullet!

Fucks over the Mystics TA AND Stop Clicks!

http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/dc-heroclix-justice-league-trinity-war-blue-devil/#ixzz3P0MD6ZEf

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

Blue Devil is up! He is a double silver bullet!

Fucks over the Mystics TA AND Stop Clicks!

http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/dc-heroclix-justice-league-trinity-war-blue-devil/#ixzz3P0MD6ZEf
Characters with long strings of stop clicks (Brainiac, Sodam Yat, Emp, etc.) are especially hosed, since he damages you for having one, you stop clicking, he damages you again, repeat until KO'd or knocked off your string of stop clicks. That is mean.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Characters with long strings of stop clicks (Brainiac, Sodam Yat, Emp, etc.) are especially hosed, since he damages you for having one, you stop clicking, he damages you again, repeat until KO'd or knocked off your string of stop clicks. That is mean.

Eh, the after actions resolve part makes me think you'd only take the 2 once in that scenario

He really does gently caress over a ton of pieces though.

The one thing I think he doesn't stop is the white ring since it's not a special power.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

Eh, the after actions resolve part makes me think you'd only take the 2 once in that scenario

I disagree. It says "When Blue Devil damages a character […]" and it isn't a free action. I see it like this:
  1. He damages a character
  2. Stop click is revealed
  3. Actions resolve
  4. He damages that character -> GO TO 1

I foresee a Watch List change of adding "other than through this power" so it won't do something like one-shot Emp. It'll get ridiculous for 135 if they don't. They likely didn't see the rules loop when designing him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I'd find out if Shaman's thing can affect the reinforcements as they won't be on the board when he does it. On reading it, it looks like after the free action it can but you never know.

"NO FLIGHT" SPELL: Once per game, give Shaman a free action and until he is KO'd, other characters with "wing symbol" or "transporter wing symbol" have "boot symbol" instead.

It seems to me that as long as the "spell" is in effect, no one can fly but him - but that's a hell of a detail none of us considered.

I pulled a GF Captain Boomerang, and a Flash booster with: Midnighter, Chillblaine, Tarpit, 001a Garrick Flash, and Reverse Flash. I ended up using the Garrick Flash to sub in for Blade when he went down to strike a sub-in GotG GF Nova using his HSS.

So that game ended up being a ton of fun:

- Tarpit is slow, but holy hell, is he fun (especially when he copies Mystics). His tar markers left behind by movement actually create a great barrier when he runs away. His Indom/Super Strength are fantastic for his points, and between those and Poison, your opponent has too much to pick from to Outwit.
- Shaman's lack of willpower sucked when I failed at picking up the ring (as I thought might happen), but his flight spell and perplex were still huge. Plus, using his TK to move Tarpit in for a Charge was super-useful.

I got 2nd place out of 3, and had a blast. I don't feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things going on.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

I disagree. It says "When Blue Devil damages a character […]" and it isn't a free action. I see it like this:
  1. He damages a character
  2. Stop click is revealed
  3. Actions resolve
  4. He damages that character -> GO TO 1

I foresee a Watch List change of adding "other than through this power" so it won't do something like one-shot Emp. It'll get ridiculous for 135 if they don't. They likely didn't see the rules loop when designing him.

I'm fairly certain it's been ruled that powers can't be used to trigger themselves, but I can be wrong.
See multi-attack for an example:

Give this character a power action. It can be given any 2 actions as free actions.
This ability can’t be countered.

Where does it say that I can't give myself a power action to do multi-attack again? It doesn't, because it can't trigger itself. This example may also be wrong. I am suffering more and more from rules dyslexia nowadays

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That's true that you can't use a power to activate itself. However, with what they've been doing with rules lately (you';re not suffering from rules dyslexia— you're just suffering from the rules), I wouldn't be surprised if they draw a distinction between actively using something and a passive trigger. I just asked them, so we'll see.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

My brother-in-law lives in Indianapolis, goes to GenCon every year, and hasn't played Heroclix in probably 8-10 years. He has a 13-year old son.

We want to be able to play together, so I'm sending him some stuff to learn how to play. I'm sending him:

- War of Light Scenario Pack
- Avengers TabApp Set
- The Dark Knight Rises TabApp Set
- HFA Thorin
- HFA Bilbo
- IIM Bulldozer
- GotGM 005 Rocket Racoon
- A bag of those glass stones from a craft store

Anything else I should put in the box?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Any suggestions for an inexpensive colossal that's fun to play against? May pool money with friends to get one for our group to play against.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

zgrowler2 posted:

Any suggestions for an inexpensive colossal that's fun to play against? May pool money with friends to get one for our group to play against.

I think that Master Mold is your best bet.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Morand posted:

I think that Master Mold is your best bet.

I've been eyeing him for a while, but I dunno that I'd wanna put the additional funds into building the Sentinel army. Alpha 3 would be nice incentive because I could then have a Capture team, but a) he's $20 and b) I already have a Crisis Darkseid/Captain Mar-Vell one that's cheesy enough. He's on the short list.

Is there any reason not to go with Shuma-Gorath? He's dropped to about $32 shipped on eBay (cheaper than MM) and seems like he'd die to the same stuff other glass cannons would die to, he's just bigger and has a 5-range Flurry with optional prodding from Mole Man.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You mentioned you wanted to do fun games and I feel like Mastermold opens up options for a variety of fun scenarios.

Could do an X-Men/X-Force/Brotherhood team up or somesuch thing. DOFP, etc

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Good point. I don't collect X-Men, but I have friends who do. It'd have a good bit of flavor to it.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Simon Baz and Power Ring went up today: http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/dc-heroclix-justice-league-trinity-war-green-lantern-power-ring/#axzz3PHu99RON

Finally a figure with GL TA again, and two keywords comprised mostly of fliers :doh: Otherwise he's average support/secondary attack piece, and his attack special helps mitigate the irritation of when a piece opens with Charge and gains all his ranged offense after getting smacked around. If the order of his powers were reversed and his specials were top dial he'd be amazing, as is he's useful but nothing terribly special.

Power Ring is definitely an upgrade from the previous iteration; between Carrying three fliers, a Perplex/anti-Perplex power, Enhancement, and CSA he's a solid support piece, who could be a decent attacker in a pinch and if you don't mind a 1/3rd chance of eating damage for it. As far as a coward with a ring that's literally killing him goes, dude is spot on.

Team question, tomorrow I have the following scenario: 500 Modern, all figures must have a starting speed of 10 or more. While I'm sure there will plenty of HSS to deal with and Plasticity might be the smart money, I've been dying to use the following figures and they work out perfect:

Abra Kadabra
The Top
Trickster (Axel)
Mirror Master (80)
Mirror Master x4 (30)
Total is 499

8 man Rogues themed team, 8 Mystics, 7 Precision Strikes, 7 Shape Changes, 7 Carriers, 6 Sidesteps, 5 Super Senses, 3 Perplexes. There's so much poo poo going on and I get to shuffle Top and the hall of Mirrors every turn, I'm super stoked to run this.

Just not sure what maps to use! Presuming I face mostly HSS pieces I'm going to want to opt for more open terrain so there's fewer chances for the speedsters to hide, and hindering can screw with my ever-shifting Sidestep wall a bit, but an enclosed map could also be a nice way to box somebody in with 30 point Mystics and whittle them down with Precision Strike. Any thoughts?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I played a team similar to that, except it was four Mob Rules and four Mirror Masters, but in practice the carry/sidestep wall was my entire strategy. They actually managed to whittle a full dial Hal and Sinestro duo more than halfway down before my dice froze me out. I played entirely on the Titan side of the Galactic Guardians OP kit map, the one with Star-Lord's ship on the reverse side. That elevated terrain in the center of the map really helped my Mirror Masters by turning the lower level into a shooting gallery, and creative object placement could really mess with a team of Speedsters. If I wound up starting on the lower level, there's plenty of hindering for my Mirror Masters to sidestep into/out of for cover from firing lines above.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Simon Baz and Power Ring went up today: http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/dc-heroclix-justice-league-trinity-war-green-lantern-power-ring/#axzz3PHu99RON

Finally a figure with GL TA again, and two keywords comprised mostly of fliers :doh: Otherwise he's average support/secondary attack piece, and his attack special helps mitigate the irritation of when a piece opens with Charge and gains all his ranged offense after getting smacked around. If the order of his powers were reversed and his specials were top dial he'd be amazing, as is he's useful but nothing terribly special.

Power Ring is definitely an upgrade from the previous iteration; between Carrying three fliers, a Perplex/anti-Perplex power, Enhancement, and CSA he's a solid support piece, who could be a decent attacker in a pinch and if you don't mind a 1/3rd chance of eating damage for it. As far as a coward with a ring that's literally killing him goes, dude is spot on.

Team question, tomorrow I have the following scenario: 500 Modern, all figures must have a starting speed of 10 or more. While I'm sure there will plenty of HSS to deal with and Plasticity might be the smart money, I've been dying to use the following figures and they work out perfect:

Abra Kadabra
The Top
Trickster (Axel)
Mirror Master (80)
Mirror Master x4 (30)
Total is 499

8 man Rogues themed team, 8 Mystics, 7 Precision Strikes, 7 Shape Changes, 7 Carriers, 6 Sidesteps, 5 Super Senses, 3 Perplexes. There's so much poo poo going on and I get to shuffle Top and the hall of Mirrors every turn, I'm super stoked to run this.

Just not sure what maps to use! Presuming I face mostly HSS pieces I'm going to want to opt for more open terrain so there's fewer chances for the speedsters to hide, and hindering can screw with my ever-shifting Sidestep wall a bit, but an enclosed map could also be a nice way to box somebody in with 30 point Mystics and whittle them down with Precision Strike. Any thoughts?

So many issues could be solved by Captain Cold but he has an 8 speed. Ditto for Murmur.

To comment on your team:

You'd really be surprised at the mobility of those drat Mirror Masters. One can sidestep carrying the other 2 squares, and the one that was carried can then sidestep carrying the other 2 squares. You can catch just about any speedster and ping them that way. A strategy of death by 1000 paper cuts is not that bad an idea at all. The format also doesn't lean itself to a ton of support unless they're also playing a power battery. If they have a power battery, you could have some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Any guesses as to how this is going to shake out set-wise? Marvel equivalents of JL52 or the like?

• Locked thread