Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Meat Dimension posted:

Hey, I have a checkpoint at the Gorgon's Maze. When the week resets, could goons join me before I logged out and backtrack to grab the loot chest? Kinda like the Atheon checkpoint when he was still cheesable.

checkpoints reset weekly unless you coordinate staying over past the reset and then having some of your friends who have logged in after the reset snag it from you

It might not work this week with the servers going down the the DLC activating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oh hey, looks like Warlocks are getting screwed again because we'll still require raid boots to hit max level. :cheers:

Edit: Not that Xur would ever sell exotic warlock boots anyways.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Do they not playtest Exotics at all? That sniper looks awful.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
UUuuuhhh towers been sort of updated. Factions require crucible commendations for buying stuff, and it would seem those are only obtainable by leveling up your crucible rank. So now you gotta juggle your rep gains it would seem hoooraaay

E: good thing ive been ignoring crucible rep since day one huh fffffffffuck this

my new dog fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 8, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

my new dog posted:

UUuuuhhh towers been sort of updated. Factions require crucible commendations for buying stuff, and it would seem those are only obtainable by leveling up your crucible rank. Fuuuuck

Surprising nobody, faction gear continues to be locked entirely behind PvP, now even moreso.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

checkpoints reset weekly unless you coordinate staying over past the reset and then having some of your friends who have logged in after the reset snag it from you

I worded it poorly, but that was the idea.

quote:

It might not work this week with the servers going down the the DLC activating

drat, it would have been super handy this week. :smith: I'll try it though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Veg posted:

24-30, itll get them over the level 25 hump.

Its fun as gently caress and I'll still be doing it each week.

Considering that probably the Crota raid will give shards for Crota raid weapons, while the VoG still is a farm for ascendant materials then I think I'll be still joining people doing VoG.

my new dog posted:

UUuuuhhh towers been sort of updated. Factions require crucible commendations for buying stuff, and it would seem those are only obtainable by leveling up your crucible rank. So now you gotta juggle your rep gains it would seem hoooraaay

E: good thing ive been ignoring crucible rep since day one huh fffffffffuck this

That sounds awful, even worse for my hunter.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

my new dog posted:

ahaha gently caress you bungie suck my loving balls

Level 1.5 crucible because I am level 9 dead orbit, I wear my dead orbit bond in the crucible, you know, because my space barbie supports dead orbit and want to have the rank go there

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
That Deej video at the end of the old thread is surprising. He's fairly eloquent and non-neckbeardy for such a poo poo writer.

vvv I have also become a late crucible convert.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 8, 2014

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I will play Crucible with people to help us all level up. I have come to love Crucible a lot. This is a lovely way for them to gate gear, but it's a lot more fun playing with friends or goons.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No upgrades...

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Is the new faction gear there to push past L30 or is it comparable with the VoG set?

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

Surprising nobody, faction gear continues to be locked entirely behind PvP, now even moreso.

Up until the last patch it wasn't though, you could turn in mats for crucible marks. Then they took it away when they added the ability to buy mats with marks.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I would be pretty surprised if leveling up the other factions didn't give you commendations.

Then again Bungie's surpised me a few times in the last week.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You can't do the crota raid until you get attuned by killing Atheon :v:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

gameday posted:

I will play Crucible with people to help us all level up. I have come to love Crucible a lot. This is a lovely way for them to gate gear, but it's a lot more fun playing with friends or goons.

it's literally loving retarded

If I support dead orbit I wear its item to get their care packages. I play crucible to get the marks (maxed in anticipation) to spend at their tower shop, but because I haven't leveled crucible enough (by NOT wearing the dead orbit mark) I can't buy dead orbit gear?

you have to be loving kidding me, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I guess that means all my crucible marks are going into buying spirit bloom because ranking that faction up is so goddamn slow.

By the time I can afford the upgraded stuff I will have already earned equivalent (or better) stuff either in strikes or IB.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Welcome to the expansion, thank you for your money

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Linx posted:

Is the new faction gear there to push past L30 or is it comparable with the VoG set?

Pretty sure its the catchup mechanic for people that aren't already level 30. Too bad they put it behind a lovely grind.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

If I support dead orbit I wear its item to get their care packages. I play crucible to get the marks (maxed in anticipation) to spend at their tower shop, but because I haven't leveled crucible enough (by NOT wearing the dead orbit mark) I can't buy dead orbit gear?

We can't rebuild our fleet alone :emo:

Broseph Brostar posted:

Pretty sure its the catchup mechanic for people that aren't already level 30. Too bad they put it behind a lovely grind.

I'm actually kind of okay with that, it took me 10 raids to get my Hunter set finished.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Are you sure you don't also get Crucible commendations by leveling faction rep?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowbear posted:

I would be pretty surprised if leveling up the other factions didn't give you commendations.

Then again Bungie's surpised me a few times in the last week.

Yeah i was assuming theyd give commendations for leveling factions. Havent tried leveling a faction though as the dlc isnt out. I hope i am wrong about this whole thing, and factions do give commendations

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It seems like it would be retarded if you didn't so probably not and then an "oops" by Bungie update later.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Maybe dead orbit/fwc/nm ranks will also give crucible commendations.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Chompers posted:

Heres hoping

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Mister Chompers posted:

That would let you get them faster because you can covert Vanguard rep. So probably not.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Greenplastic posted:

Do they not playtest Exotics at all? That sniper looks awful.

Actually, that weapon looks great for specific circumstances (like if there's an encounter in the raid where you need a couple of snipers). I actually prefer those iron sights to the super zoomed in sights of sniper rifles.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dahbadu posted:

Actually, that weapon looks great for specific circumstances (like if there's an encounter in the raid where you need a couple of snipers). I actually prefer those iron sights to the super zoomed in sights of sniper rifles.

Also the guy has no upgrades on an exotic. Who knows how it is with them

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Slithery D posted:

That would let you get them faster because you can covert Vanguard rep. So probably not.

But you're giving up potential Vanguard rep and commendations to get that faction rep. I don't see how that makes a huge difference.

Also, do they not sell Crucible faction items? Do those not convert Vanguard rep to Crucible rep?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
None of the vendors are asking for commendations yet. What the hell are you guys going on about? And why wouldn't faction rep give you crucible commendations? Are you just magically pulling poo poo out of your rear end to get mad about again?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No they don't.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Are commendations going to be tradeable items between characters or tied to each one similar to marks?

Edit - VVV Yeah, I know it seems hilariously impossible that Bungie would do something like that, but I wasn't sure if it was confirmed yet that commendations were currencies similar to Motes, Shards, etc or if they were simply a new line next to Marks in the inventory screen.

My main character (Titan) needs boots to hit 30, but he is ~2k faction away from both Crucible and Vanguard right now. My two alts are both about to level in both factions, and I really don't care enough about my Hunter to buy him 30 light gear right now.

Soma Soma Soma fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 8, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Soma Soma Soma posted:

Are commendations going to be tradeable items between characters or tied to each one similar to marks?

:laugh:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Ularg posted:

None of the vendors are asking for commendations yet. What the hell are you guys going on about? And why wouldn't faction rep give you crucible commendations? Are you just magically pulling poo poo out of your rear end to get mad about again?

Because you can level up factions in PvE, so giving crucible commendations would end-around this mechanism. And you could theoretically level all factions to 3 and then spend, say you next FWC given commendation on DO gear, which is a bit silly.

And they reset the perks on your exotics, there's no floor for their stupidity.

I mean it makes perfect sense for faction ranks to give crucible commendations, slightly weird results be damned, which is why I don't expect it to happen.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Can a nice person explain commendations, how to upgrade exisiting exotics and how to get upgrades (other than the raid) in the expansion to someone that's been away from Destiny for about a month?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ularg posted:

They dont, but the currency list for faction vendors in the tower lists crucible commendations, and they are described as being obtained through leveling up your crucible rep specifically. I guess we will find out tomorrow ;0

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

snodig posted:

Can a nice person explain commendations, how to upgrade exisiting exotics and how to get upgrades (other than the raid) in the expansion to someone that's been away from Destiny for about a month?

Ranking up Vanguard and Crucible (and maybe Dead Orbit/New Monarchy/FWC) gives you a commendation, which are now required to purchase vendor gear in addition to marks. To upgrade an exotic you have to wait for Xur to show up and have the specific upgrade you're looking for, then trade in an exotic shard which you get for 7 strange coins or sharding and exotic item. This resets your exotic item to stock but with equal or better stats.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

snodig posted:

For every vanguard or crucible level above 2 (and maybe faction level), you get a corresponding Commendation Token from the faction. Purchasing any item of armor and weapons from such faction will require one Token [maybe in addition to regular vanguard/crucible marks]. It's a super-currency to buy the new purples.

To upgrade exotics, you need to buy the exotic upgrade from Xur, assuming he has the specific upgrade when he's there for the weekend. You then get your exotic back with all the experience wiped but with a higher attack ceiling. This is straight retarded.

To buy your upgrades you trade an exotic shard, a new item sold by xur for 7 coins or that comes from sharding an existing exotic. You also need one of these for the final XP bubble in each exotic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Because you can level up factions in PvE, so giving crucible commendations would end-around this mechanism. And you could theoretically level all factions to 3 and then spend, say you next FWC given commendation on DO gear, which is a bit silly.

And they reset the perks on your exotics, there's no floor for their stupidity.

I mean it makes perfect sense for faction ranks to give crucible commendations, slightly weird results be damned, which is why I don't expect it to happen.

So basically you have no proof and just want to complain about something.

snodig posted:

From what I understand commendations are basically a buying ticket. You get just one and then spend that and the required marks to purchase a piece of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

snodig posted:

You get a commendation for every rank in crucible and vanguard reputation you gain.

You can use those to buy new "better" weapons and armor from vendors.

Upgrading exotics is a little more confusing. You have to talk to Xur, who will have a random set of upgrades. If he has yours you get a new version of your exotic with a higher attack level and you have to level it up again. It takes no ascendent energy now, and takes an exotic shard instead.

• Locked thread