Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
hm, wasnt this guy abusing a journal subscription for his university, and mass-downloading tens of thousands of articles per day, causing the journal to block the campus, and loving over thousands of other students?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hm, wasnt this guy abusing a journal subscription for his university, and mass-downloading tens of thousands of articles per day, causing the journal to block the campus, and loving over thousands of other students?

no JSTOR did not block MIT

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pvt Dancer posted:

The time and effort was already paid for. Then paid for again because idiots believe that academic publishers are providing a valuable service. "We ask other people to do peer-review for free and have very specific rules for submitting papers so we don't have to put in any work give us a shitload of money" academia lmao

Yeah, who would pay for access to a database? Or membership to a forum? It makes no sense.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

no JSTOR did not block MIT

what a waste of a perfectly good opportunity 2 pwn some freakin collegiates...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's stupid that publically funded research is allowed to be kept behind paywalls and it should be illegal.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's stupid that publically funded research is allowed to be kept behind paywalls and it should be illegal.

yea there was a lot of really good investigations and writing about how academic journals and poo poo actually work when this whole thing originally went down but surprise goons are hilariously uninformed

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

TEAYCHES posted:

yea there was a lot of really good investigations and writing about how academic journals and poo poo actually work when this whole thing originally went down but surprise goons are hilariously uninformed

i like the part where if youve published things before they dont really fact check you so one guy got a bunch of completely bullshit medical articles about a certain anesthesia through that became de-facto standard for years even though oops they just paralyzed you and you were still conscious and felt pain

anyway i aspire to be that guy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i like the part where if youve published things before they dont really fact check you so one guy got a bunch of completely bullshit medical articles about a certain anesthesia through that became de-facto standard for years even though oops they just paralyzed you and you were still conscious and felt pain

Yeah peer review as a fact-checking process doesn't really work. Someone did a study by resubmitting 12 already-published articles from prestigious schools, changing the names of researchers and institutions, and only 3 out of 38 reviewers detected the resubmissions that they had already read. The articles were rejected as the same rate as articles overall. Somehow the previously-accepted articles now had "serious methodological flaws" according to some of them. This basically tells me that peer review is useless and there is no substitute for actually replicating experiments.

Abstract is here, feel free to buy the article for $45!
https://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=6577844

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

makes u think

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

JSTOR really is a retarded scam tho. its not paying for more academic studies if thats what you think is going on with that gig

that doesn't make his act of protest or whatever any less ill conceived. plus, if you hate jstor just wait until you have to deal with elsevier

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

do u think lowtax will try to 1up aaron swartz with a murder-suicide

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
He killed himself over a bunch of stupid articles no one is going to read anyways

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

THE FUCKIN ROBOCOP posted:

He killed himself over a bunch of stupid articles no one is going to read anyways

Who, lowtax or Swartz?

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Mange Mite posted:

Who, lowtax or Swartz?

:rimshot:

Millsy
Dec 28, 2004
All's fair in love and bouncy bouncy.
Pillbug

babypolis posted:

he did not deserve to die and his death was tragic, imo
then he shouldnt have killed himsefl

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

what a retard, he would have gone to a minimum sec prison with commuted jail time prolly (was only serving six months...) , plus with his connections its not like his career was over

maybe he couldnt stand being away from the internet that long
they were federal charges so he would have served every drat day of his huge-rear end sentence

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Wow, the sciences are really hosed, glad I'm a history dude

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
why?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I felt bad for him until i watched the doc about him. Holy poo poo, what an annoying gently caress he was.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Now have Julian Assange kill himself.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me

Applewhite posted:

Now have Julian Assange kill himself.

Aaron Nadler

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

soy posted:

I felt bad for him until i watched the doc about him. Holy poo poo, what an annoying gently caress he was.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

babypolis posted:

ln of 9 isonly 2.19, im sorry about ur micropenis

I was going to make this joke, but thought that's what naem wanted us to do so I didn't.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
AGAIN???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As someone whose work is behind such paywalls I entirely agree with this, but perhaps hacking them in a way that you've already got into trouble for, being caught again then killing yourself isn't the best way to achieve it.

Isn't it fairly likely he would have gotten away with a slap on the wrist anyway? Even if not, the pirate bay guys seem better set up, the one dude who is in jail or whatever is powering through standing up for what he believes in and what he believes in is WAY less legit than public access to publicly funded research. I guess the dude was mentally unbalanced or whatever, v sad.

tbh, best way to say a big gently caress you to academic publishers is to create a movement of researchers making their own work available. The publisher can't (or generally doesn't) stop you putting PDFs of your own work on your own website, and loads of researchers are happy to send copies out by email because they don't get paid by the journal anyway. Also open access journals. Academic publishing is a major loving racket and it's about time it died in it's present exploitative form.

• Locked thread