Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
see thread title
blood simple
raising arizona
millers crossing
barton fink
hudsucker proxy
fargo
big lebowski
o brothers
the man who wasn't there
ladykillers
no country
burn after reading
serious man
true grit
llllewyn davis
View Results

• Locked thread
Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
voted for everything but ladykillers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Raising Arizona will never get enough love.

"Me and Dot went in to adopt on account a' somethin' went wrong with my semen, and they said we had to wait five years for a healthy white baby. I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got?" Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside. It's a crazy world."

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
The 90's were a fantastic time for the Coen brothers

Professor Shark posted:

What, you don't think Hollywood actor James Franco and his superficial obsession with Cormac McCarthy would be able to handle an adaptation of Blood Meridian???

Blood Meridian was one of the most amazing books I've ever read, but a movie adaptation would be boring as hell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I was under the impression A Simple Plan was a coen brothers movie, but evidently I was mixing it up with Blood Simple; so I'm glad for this thread.

Both movies are great though.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I really love all of them but if I had to pick only one I would go with Raising Arizona

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I love Millers Crossing so much. It's such a great mob movie. I know a lot of people probly find it too slowly paced so I wasn't expecting it to rank too high in that poll.

Raising Arizona would be my second fav. That movie just has so much energy and creativity and spunkiness.

I would rank Big Lebowski somewhere in the middle of my list. Its a fun movie but it is so "coen brothers" that it almost seems like a parody.

O' Brother is pretty great too.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

ArmZ posted:

you missed the point

You dumb

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
dang, looking at that list in the OP made me realize how many good movies those two guys have made.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Blood Simple was filmed here in Austin :)

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I love just about everything the Coens have done, but there's something about A Serious Man that blows me away every time. It tells a really emotional and subtle story, but it also has experimental parts like the Goy's Teeth, the opening sequence with Fyvush Finkel, and the sequence with the TV antenna and the sunbathing neighbor. For my money it balances all of Joel and Ethan's tricks just a little more perfectly than any other.

The only director I can think of with a more consistent record of greatness than the Coens is Ken Burns.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The Big Lebowski taught me how to make a White Russian, which is a delicious drink, so it gets my vote.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
O brother where art thou because of George Clooney's poo poo eating grin after this line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMPF_V0EOG4

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7o1EB0sYI

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

shut up netface posted:

Raising Arizona will never get enough love.

"Me and Dot went in to adopt on account a' somethin' went wrong with my semen, and they said we had to wait five years for a healthy white baby. I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got?" Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside. It's a crazy world."
Say, that reminds me...

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
i am happy to see raising arizona doing so well. i think this poll underrates a serious man tho.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
a serious man is very underrated and is one of their very best imo

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
+1 for Fargo

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

whatis posted:

a serious man is very underrated and is one of their very best imo
I love the final shot of that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmK1T-GCaY

edit: VVVVV Burn After Reading is an odd one. I saw it in the theater with my mom and sister, none of us really laughed during any of it. But then once the end credits rolled, we looked at each other and just cracked up.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Had to vote for Big Lebowski and Fargo. Probably would have thrown in No Country if I'd sat and vacillated any longer, and probably O Brother after that. Burn After Reading is the only one I really didn't care for. Ladykillers was pretty weak for the Coens but not bad.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i really liked burn after reading for some reason, but i voted fargo

fargo is a masterpiece ppl will watch in fifty years

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the matrix

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

man would I love to see a Cohen version of that

Nicholas Cage starring, of course

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
ill tell ya this op it isnt millers crossing OR blood simple ill tell ya that

it's also NOT barton fink

is this helpful?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
well i'd probably have to say it's the oft quoted and goon favorite the big lebwoski, op

i notice something new every time i watch it

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Miller's Crossing is #1 just for Jon Polito ranting about people giving him the high hat, the best scenery chewing in a movie filled with great character actors having a blast.

"Jesus, Tom."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jon Polito is great indeed in that role. It's a pithy film.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

man would I love to see a Cohen version of that

Nicholas Cage starring, of course

This would be fantastic. Or the Cohens do Superman with Nick Cage.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You know what, I really like this thread.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

The Man Who Wasn't There gets special mention for reminding us of a simpler time, now hopelessly lost, when a drunk small-town attorney would have had nothing at all to be concerned about his teenage daughter being visited every evening by the local widower weirdo for a piano recital.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

The Man Who Wasn't There gets special mention for reminding us of a simpler time, now hopelessly lost, when a drunk small-town attorney would have had nothing at all to be concerned about his teenage daughter being visited every evening by the local widower weirdo for a piano recital.

This. Any other director/producer would hear "Noir cinematography of Scarlett Johansson giving Billy Bob Thornton a blowjob" and come up with something silly or purile. The two-headed-director instead made a scene with character development that haunts you.

Also another insane little dose of Jon Polito. "Was that a pass? You're out of line, mister. Way out of line".

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
That's a good little poll you got there.

Went with Raising Arizona.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
So here comes Bill...walkin down 9-mile...got his sandwich in one hand...and the fuckin HEAD in the other!

Lars!
Oct 22, 2010
No Country is just one of my favorite movies, period, but it doesn't feel very Coen-y. I will always associate them with comedy, and therefore, my favorite Coen-y Bros. movie is The Big Lebowski.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
My family watches the Big Lebowski and drinkes White Russians on Christmas Eve. It's a fun tradition for my favorite Coen bros. movie.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
O Brother, and it is also my favorite movie soundtrack

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The sex machine reveal in Burn After Reading is amazing

OH MY GOD
:stare:

:pranke:

THATS FANTASTIC
:haw:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

so then John Turturro shows up and

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Copper Vein posted:

so then John Turturro shows up and

he should play Agent Smith in the Cohen Matrix

The Cohtrix

or maybe

Neo Luddite

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7rQ3jlYdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
that shot in fargo where its nothing but a snow-covered parking lot and the light poles...

best shot

• Locked thread