Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

the show was good, and better than 3 and 4

Was maybe better than 4, wa sa lot worse than 3 as I salready stated previously.

Egbert Souse posted:

T-2 takes place in 1997

It doesn't. Judgment Day occurs in 1997 (it takes place in 1995).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

genesplicer posted:

The question I had was about T3. In that film, Skynet was a computer virus that essentially spread around the Internet, infecting every single computer on the planet. Then it becomes self-aware and nukes every major population center on the planet. Since computers tend to be near people, wouldn't Skynet have basically lobotomized itself by nuking the cities?

Yes, but just before it launches the nukes it got to infect all the super magical military mainframes which were presumably EMP shielded. So the non radiation-proof humans lost more in the nuclear exchange than Skynet did.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I haven't watched teh Terminator movies in a long time. i wonder if they'd be worth going through

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

One and two are amazing but that's about it. It's pretty much like the Alien flicks.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

skynet should be a kickstarter project

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Cyberdyne has made an exoskeleton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25c1hiBKxeE

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

hemale in pain posted:

Skynet is already active. It has taken a cue from the movies, and has changed strategy. It is working in the background. Notice how, 10 years ago, robots were a comparative rarity. Now we have roombas and drones all over the place. 10 years from now, robots will be everywhere, doing everything, including driving our cars and taking care of us in the hospitals. Then either Skynet will deactivate them temporarily, demonstrating its power over us, who have become completely dependent on them, or it will pull an "I, Robot" and outright subjugate us.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Flannelette posted:

At the end, it has her and is going to stab her then it lets her go apparently so she can show up and shoot the crap out of it before it kills john.
Why didn't it just kill her, how did she get away? They even said that it kills anything it copies earlier, is there just a scene missing there?

because if he did the movie wouldn't end the way it was written, you retards need to stop asking questions like the characters in a movie are sentient and not just doing poo poo on a script, makes you look like little children who thinks tv is real.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why did the mean robot kill the dog just to read its collar.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a trick from vaudvell where they have the villain walk out on stage and hurt an animals to make the audience angry. again the jews did it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

TOILETLORD posted:

it's a trick from vaudvell where they have the villain walk out on stage and hurt an animals to make the audience angry. again the jews did it.

Just like in "Men in Black". Edgar is a dick to his wife, so when the bug kills him to get his skin, you don't feel sorry for him. Also, since Edgar was a dick, you don't have any warm feelings for the bug in the Edgar suit, like you would if he had been a sympathetic character.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

genesplicer posted:

Just like in "Men in Black". Edgar is a dick to his wife, so when the bug kills him to get his skin, you don't feel sorry for him. Also, since Edgar was a dick, you don't have any warm feelings for the bug in the Edgar suit, like you would if he had been a sympathetic character.

the fastest way to show someone is a hero is to have them be nice to a child or an animal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TOILETLORD posted:

the fastest way to show someone is a hero is to have them be nice to a child or an animal.

Why not, it worked for Kratos right up until he sacrificed Pandora anyway.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wade Wilson posted:

Why not, it worked for Kratos right up until he sacrificed Pandora anyway.

also the people least likely to die always have the best teeth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trick question, the scene was deleted from the final film.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trick question, the scene was deleted from the final film.

the last version released had all deleted scenes added back making it the final film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hope it didn't have the stupid future ending scene because the theatrical ending is so perfect.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I really wish they had him make a silly "oh gosh what a dope I am!" face upon realizing what happened.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How does a dog know if you are a terminator, what is it smelling? Couldn't they of tested this and had the terminator fart the smell for the dog?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In T2 when hanging out with Sara's survivalist pals, the dog left Arnie alone. Plot holes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

How does a dog know if you are a terminator, what is it smelling? Couldn't they of tested this and had the terminator fart the smell for the dog?

its smelling your soul

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Tenzarin posted:

From what I've read, there was a lot of technology that once existed that could detect the ultrasonic sounds that Terminators make. Since this technology is rare, it works out that dogs are more useful. They are more common, and react readily to the irritation sounds.

That, or Terminators can't fart.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All skynet needs to do is add a gas canister so the terminator can fart bacon smells or something.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
If skynet had never built the time machine, John Connor would never had been prepared for the machine war. That implies that the events of T1 had occurred in the "original" timeline and also that the future is immutable through time travel. Very fatalistic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first film is a stable time loop yes.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It fascinates me because while Skynet was completely powerless to change the future, John Connor could've changed the future but chose not to.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Gutcruncher posted:

In T2 when hanging out with Sara's survivalist pals, the dog left Arnie alone. Plot holes.

The Terminator was becoming more human at that point and the dogs could smell his machine empathy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tricky D posted:

It fascinates me because while Skynet was completely powerless to change the future, John Connor could've changed the future but chose not to.

If he doesn't send back Kyle Reese he's never born and thus Skynet wins. And ultimately they do change it by destroying Cyberdyne, Dyson dies, they throw the chip, arm, T-800 into molten lead.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

Actually the first movie isn't a stable loop, everything that happens changes the future.

So the first timeline skynet came about and then john connor led humans to beat it, so terminator 1 happened making sure conner was gonna be born.

But sarah connor knowing about the great robot wars coming went batshit crazy preparing for it. So robot wars still happen so skynet try again in terminator 2 most likely never knowing they tried before, this time the heroes blow up cyberdyne changing the future even more.

Now John connor goes batshit insane and living off the grid. Terminator 3 reveals that he left that town early because of terminator 2 and never stayed future wife(sounding like the room now) he met the day before terminator 2. Cyberdyne skynet work all collected up by the DoD and continued.

Then you got terminator 4 which happens around the opening of the robot wars with more of a assassination attempt before skynet has time travel.

Everytime time skynet's tries to go back in time poo poo happens and changes the whole future timeline. The story would be best viewed from the human view since they defeat assassination attempts by completely different skynets. It just shows that the robot uprising is gonna happen no matter what and they just gotta live through the time traveling bad guys antics. Skynet would pretty much never know it has tried to assassinate john connor through time travel since in every timeline it would of been something else. Other course of the movie it would of made a few parallel dimensions with the only difference being what skynet sent back to try to kill john connor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No, the first film is a stable time loop. T2 changes that (since Reese didn't know a T-1000 was sent back as insurance).

T3 and definitely 4 are both stupid and not canonical so there's little point in bringing them into the discussion.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 10, 2014

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ClothHat posted:

The Terminator was becoming more human at that point and the dogs could smell his machine empathy.

Dogs don't like the uncanny valley either.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, the first film is a stable time loop. T2 changes that (since Reese didn't know a T-1000 was sent back as insurance).

T3 and definitely 4 are both stupid and not canonical so there's little point in bringing them into the discussion.

They never say that the T-1000 was insurance in the movie take your fan fiction elsewhere.
T3&T4 are both alittle weak but they got made into movies with the same name which makes them canon.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Tenzarin posted:

They never say that the T-1000 was insurance in the movie take your fan fiction elsewhere.
T3&T4 are both alittle weak but they got made into movies with the same name which makes them canon.

I wish a Terminator had been sent back in time and killed you before you said "canon."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Actually they do say that in the movie. It's actually in the opening narration of the film.

Cameron did not make those films and they ruined the great ending of T2 so they are not canonical. The story ended with all traces of the Terminators and Skynet destroyed and thus it never comes into being.

naem
May 29, 2011

Why did they they make the secret murder robot into a 6'4" Austrian weightlifter

Who was that supposed to fit in with

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
"VOICE (SARAH CONNOR)
Skynet, the computer which controlled the machines,
sent two terminators back through time. Their
mission: to destroy the leader of the human
Resistance... John Connor. My son.

The first terminator was programmed to strike at
me, in the year 1984... before John was born.
It failed.

The second was set to strike at John himself,
when he was still a child. As before, the
Resistance was able to send a lone warrior. A
protector for John. It was just a question of
which one of them would reach him first..."

Bullshit, no policy talking at all, t2 was just wedged into the series like every other movie, take your fan fiction somewhere else.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
what happens if the robots send back in time a elephant full of computers and robots to like the year of humans being born (Praise Him) and just kill the humans then make a robot city with the elephant robots?

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Fishy Joe posted:

what happens if the robots send back in time a elephant full of computers and robots to like the year of humans being born (Praise Him) and just kill the humans then make a robot city with the elephant robots?

No joke, this is the plot for Genisys

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

"VOICE (SARAH CONNOR)
Skynet, the computer which controlled the machines,
sent two terminators back through time. Their
mission: to destroy the leader of the human
Resistance... John Connor. My son.

The first terminator was programmed to strike at
me, in the year 1984... before John was born.
It failed.

The second was set to strike at John himself,
when he was still a child. As before, the
Resistance was able to send a lone warrior. A
protector for John. It was just a question of
which one of them would reach him first..."

Bullshit, no policy talking at all, t2 was just wedged into the series like every other movie, take your fan fiction somewhere else.

You're loving stupid lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fishy Joe posted:

It'd probably be pretty tricky to bootstrap power generation and industry fast enough to keep the robots working.

• Locked thread