Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Officer Jenny is not a Pokemon, she is multiple human people, there is a difference. :colbert:

I'm guessing that there is a fanfic somewhere out there that would refute your assertion here but I value my brain cells too much to look for one. :negative:

Stux posted:

the samus one is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've played through Super Metroid probably 50 times. The other 2D games don't compare imo. I really love Metroid Prime 2: Echoes though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I've played through Super Metroid probably 50 times. The other 2D games don't compare imo. I really love Metroid Prime 2: Echoes though.

i still play through super metroid once or twice a year. when i cant think of anything else to play it always ends up as either super metroid or the first dark souls.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stux posted:

yeah but gbs sometimes comes out with gems. here are some of my fav game ones

That's not a good enough combo for significant distance.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never been too partial to Super Metroid but I loving love Zero Mission an unhealthy amount, the save battery on my cartridge is dead so I'll just play it start to finish some days

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy and played through the first game and while it was a lot of fun I got frustrated toward the end. Having to fight the same space pirates over and over was kind of annoying. Now I'm afraid to play MP2 because people say it's a lot more combat focused. But I will probably still try it eventually.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have played and beaten Fusion, and played like 5 minutes of Prime, and that's my Metroid history.

Fusion was good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Stux posted:

i still play through super metroid once or twice a year. when i cant think of anything else to play it always ends up as either super metroid or the first dark souls.

I don't normally replay games, but the two I always go back to every year or two are Yoshi's Island on the SNES and Half-Life 1.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bass Bottles posted:

I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy and played through the first game and while it was a lot of fun I got frustrated toward the end. Having to fight the same space pirates over and over was kind of annoying. Now I'm afraid to play MP2 because people say it's a lot more combat focused. But I will probably still try it eventually.

Prime 2 is a lot more combat focused but its enemies are also more interesting and more fun to fight most of the time, Rezbits and Ingsmashers especially.

That said, fuuuuuuck Grenchlers.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I didn't realize that Yoshi's Island used the FX chip until recently. That game had a neat art style and I remember abusing the mini game rewards to basically never die and own everything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

yeah i feel the primes are aging quicker than the 2d games, and i think thats just a symptom of 3d games in general. i personally really really prefer the 2d metroids over them and i wish nintendo would do a 2.5d one for 3ds or something. i never got why they made that hunters game for the old ds :(

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't normally replay games, but the two I always go back to every year or two are Yoshi's Island on the SNES and Half-Life 1.

its fun seeing other peoples replay games, cos most people seem to have 1 or 2 titles they consistently go back to

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am buying a wii u next week. I never had a wii. besides the mario galaxy games, what wii titles should i look out for? I already have donkey kong country returns on 3ds and okami on ps3.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The game I go back to every once in a while is Megaman X Command Mission. I am actually a better source of information on that game than GameFAQs is, though whether that's an indicator of GameFAQs being poo poo or of me being insane I haven't found out yet.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

alcharagia posted:

Prime 2 is a lot more combat focused but its enemies are also more interesting and more fun to fight most of the time, Rezbits and Ingsmashers especially.

That said, fuuuuuuck Grenchlers.

Cool. I liked the combat, I just didn't enjoy fighting the space pirates because it was really repetitive and took a little too long(?)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Awesome! posted:

i am buying a wii u next week. I never had a wii. besides the mario galaxy games, what wii titles should i look out for? I already have donkey kong country returns on 3ds and okami on ps3.

No More Heroes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Awesome! posted:

twilight princess

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I have more, but Super Metroid and Castlevania Order of Ecclesia are my big two replay games. I can't get enough of either.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you have buddies to play with WarioWare: Smooth Moves is fun as hell.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The one thing I always found hilarous about the Metroid 3D games is how they always try to find an excuse for Samus to lose her upgrades.

I forgot which Prime game did it but Samus literally just smashes against a wall and all her upgrades go down a vent/chute/gutter.

As for favorite Metroid game? Super Metroid is 1st but Metroid 2 is a close second. I mean most gameboy games were pretty poo poo, but M2 was a really great game for it's time. I mean considering how small the memory was on the GB, the fact we got a game very similar to the NES game was a miracle. Yeah no map and all but I did like that considering it felt great when you found a new area.

Kinda weird how that's the only game we see the evolved forms of Metroids and not many other games try it.

Fusion I love and hate. I love it because SA-X made you feel like you were in a horror story. Just seeing her made you go poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo. Didn't help you had the same weakness of the metroid so seeing the ice beam being used against you sucked.

Hate it because of Adam (not because of Other M) I always felt that he was a drat hindrance. You always had to talk to him to proceed. So the game felt a little hand holding/linear with that aspect. Apart from that great game.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 9, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Awesome! posted:

I really loved Skyward Sword but it's a love it or hate it game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

If light-gun games sound fun to you there are a few of those, like House of the Dead overkill and that one where you rescue the president. Especially fun with local co-op.

Also I haven't played it but people love the Resident Evil 4 port with Wiimote controls and that game is always fun.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bass Bottles posted:

Also I haven't played it but people love the Resident Evil 4 port with Wiimote controls and that game is always fun.

RE4 on the wiimote is a god send. Made aiming easier, etc.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shindragon posted:

The one thing I always found hilarous about the Metroid 3D games is how they always try to find an excuse for Samus to lose her upgrades.

I forgot which Prime game did it but Samus literally just smashes against a wall and all her upgrades go down a vent/chute/gutter.

That was Prime 1. In prime 2 she has all of her equipment stolen by the ing and you have to fight bosses that use Samus's abilities to get them back which I thought was really cool. I don't think she actually loses any of her stuff during Prime 3.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Do most people not enjoy Metroid II? It's incredible as a minimalist horror take on the Metroid formula. All that open space and bizarre architecture seen through the tiny monochrome screen of the oldschool GameBoy is such a unique experience. And the evolved Metroids are terrifying the way they scream and lunge. Game owns.

Everything looks exactly the same and it's insanely easy to get lost because of that, not to mention the actual layout is pretty bad and confusing. I think having a map would be more than enough to fix that, but I felt like Metroid lost something in the process of being updated to Zero Mission. I'm not sure Metroid 2 would have anything left to offer if they made it easier to find your way and no longer had that sense of being lost and desperate.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

with the losing her powers thing its just a peculiarity with the genre. if you didnt start with nothing then half the game just wouldnt exist so they just have to make up any reason for it to happen in order to serve the gameplay.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Awesome! posted:

I'm not sure if it's become rare and expensive as hell or whatever, but if you can get it for not too much money, the Wii Punch-Out!! is probably my favorite game remake of all time.

Most of the classic fighters from NES Punch-Out!! (although no Tyson) are here and have been fleshed out with full-blown personalities, even legit-speaking the fighter's native language and doing comedy bits between rounds (Great Tiger splits into three copies and has a conversation with himself in Hindi, Piston Hondo reads Japanese Haikus, stuff like that). Pretty much the only piece of music during fights is the classic fight song from the NES version, but each fight is remixed to fit the fighter's style (e.g. when you fight Great Tiger it's played on a Sitar, fighting Soda Popinski is Russian-style).

Once you've beaten the game once, every fighter re-challenges you and becomes an entirely new fight with some new "they've learned some trick to counter you" gimmick. Disco Kid is a total pushover in your first fight, but then takes Boxercise lessons and kicks your rear end Richard Simmons-style. King Hippo tapes a manhole cover to his belly-button. Glass Joe has a padded helmet and is immune to uppercuts as a result (but if you hit him with a star punch it flies off briefly Asterix-style and you get a few damaging uppercuts in).

You can play the game traditional "sideways Wiimote NES-style", or attach a nunchuck and actually box, or go whole hog on an immersive experience and add in a Wii balance board to dodge with.

The game just oozes with that hard-to-define quality where you know the people who remade the game understood what made the NES Punch-Out!! great and did everything they could to preserve and enhance that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hi I'm videogames and i love everyone

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Evil Eagle posted:

I keep buying every new Wii U game that comes out and I can't stop.

Been playing Captain Toad. GOTY. A fuckin adorable, challenging game that you should be playing already what the gently caress are you doing

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Hi I'm videogames and i love everyone

Did you ever finish that smb3 romhack you were working on?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheHoosier posted:

Been playing Captain Toad. GOTY. A fuckin adorable, challenging game that you should be playing already what the gently caress are you doing

Not having a Wii U :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII are the three games I try to replay every year.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

alcharagia posted:

Not having a Wii U :(

Do it now, do it yesterday. I've been going through the Wii games I missed as well. Probably gonna set up a stream and replay all the old 2D Castlevania games later after I finish Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and DK.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheHoosier posted:

Do it now, do it yesterday. I've been going through the Wii games I missed as well. Probably gonna set up a stream and replay all the old 2D Castlevania games later after I finish Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, and DK.

It's next on the itinerary, it already was when Bayonetta 2 happened honestly

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Super Metroid is the greatest video game of all time and if you disagree with this then I will ban you

Adding to OP

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kewpuh posted:

Link to the Past is cool too...?!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shovel Knight is fair game then for all of you to rip on :twisted:

don't that game rules too

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man I know this guy who was playing through Super Metroid recently and he was using a map

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Check out this controversial opinion from an admin

Cowcaster posted:

the original legend of zelda and majora's mask were the only two good zelda games. just putting that out there op.

maybe link to the past.

Cowcaster did you ever play a link between world's I feel like you might enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Majora's Mask is pretty good tbh

• Locked thread